[Updated] Far Out Stuff - Apple September 2022 Event Thread, Expectations, Reality and stuff.

Lightwreather
11 minutes ago, Roswell said:

Or you know, instead of expressing tinfoil hat energy, you could realize that it’s an infrastructure limitation when you have millions and millions of people watching at once.Doesn’t matter what company it is, serving out the actual full video file to that many people all at once would be a miserable experience for everyone involved.

Streaming videos over the internet is unicast, so there is absolutely no bandwidth difference with time-shifting. This is simply Apple gatekeeping to give it the exclusivity of a live broadcast.

20 minutes ago, Lightwreather JfromN said:

Isn't that standard procedure on yt livestreams?

Not for the recent AMD event and not for any other YT livestream I have watched in the past year. 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, HenrySalayne said:

Tell me you are a narcissistic backwards company without telling me you are a narcissistic backwards company: preventing people from time-shifting the livestream.. If this would have been a live show, I could understand their reasoning. For a pre-produced video, it's just a finger for everyone being late to the party.

And you, as their #1 fan were heartbroken that you couldn't watch this keynote the way you wanted while it was 'live', or just wait for the VOD afterwards, cause no AppleMagic will be left in it.

Surprisingly little info in this thread about the announcements. Here is a summary:

Three new watches:

• Apple Watch Series 8
  • Apple Watch SE (updated model)
  • Apple Watch Ultra

AirPods Pro 2nd generation

New iPhones:

• iPhone 14
  • iPhone 14 Plus
  • iPhone 14 Pro
  • iPhone 14 Pro Max

8 hours ago, hishnash said:

Yes for a file format but we are talking bout a digital to anolgo conversion stack there is no such system that produces bit for bit the same sign the output is not in bits but in analog audio. 

Well no that's not what we/you are talking about if you are making a point about codecs and format compression. FLAC has nothing to do with anything else, it is it's own isolated thing. When you bring in a DAC or audio processor that supports FLAC format and decompression it actually has defined bitrate support (like DTS and Dolby does) so if you ignore supported bitrate and format negotiations and send something it cannot support you'll get no audio at all or simply noise (purely noise and nothing else).

When talking about lossless audio formats that exclusively is talking about the audio file itself. Pure analogue, live not recorded, isn't "lossless" either but that's really not the point about "lossless".

1 hour ago, HenrySalayne said:

This is simply Apple gatekeeping to give it the exclusivity of a live broadcast.

Except in the internet age and a live broadcast on say YouTube you can rewind the live broadcast. It's like they want to go back in time to pre-internet streaming, TV only, without being able to record TV and achieve the same thing (which I was doing back then).

But actually I don't think it's anything like that at all, just wanting their own thing for this event and doing it with minimum viable effort.

Ultimately who gives a damn, but lol Apple 🤷‍♂️

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Except in the internet age and a live broadcast on say YouTube you can rewind the live broadcast. It's like they want to go back in time to pre-internet streaming, TV only, without being able to record TV and achieve the same thing (which I was doing back then).

But actually I don't think it's anything like that at all, just wanting their own thing for this event and doing it with minimum viable effort.

Ultimately who gives a damn, but lol Apple 🤷‍♂️

At least they're streaming them on YouTube now. I remember when they used their own proprietary streaming solution that only worked on Apple devices (at least without some trickery) and even then they barely worked. I legit remember trying to watch a livestream on my Apple TV and it straight up hardlocked the thing.

25 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

iPhone 14 Pro

I'm mostly impressed with the 'Dynamic Island' aka 'embracing the notch' aka 'cool animation embracing hardware "constraints"'

8 minutes ago, Error 52 said:

At least they're streaming them on YouTube now. I remember when they used their own proprietary streaming solution that only worked on Apple devices (at least without some trickery) and even then they barely worked. I legit remember trying to watch a livestream on my Apple TV and it straight up hardlocked the thing.

It was always available on their website using any browser/platform.

I'm going to try the Apple Watch Ultra and lol when it dominates my wrist.  The entire top of my wrist is 50mm and it's a 49mm watch soooo.  It's amusing they offer a "small" strap that works down to 130mm wrist circumference.  My wrists are tiny and they measure 165mm.

Need it to show up on Best Buy though so I can dodge sales tax.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 minute ago, rikitikitavi said:

It was always available on their website using any browser/platform.

Nah, I remember it would block you unless you were using a Mac. I specifically remmeber people plugging the video URL into VLC as a workaround.

6 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

The entire top of my wrist is 50mm and it's a 49mm watch soooo

Even the regular watch line is getting bigger and bigger... does everyone needs a chunky on their wrists!?

7 minutes ago, Error 52 said:

Nah, I remember it would block you unless you were using a Mac. I specifically remmeber people plugging the video URL into VLC as a workaround.

Pretty sure the stream was available to everyone, it's just that Apple decided to use HLS as the streaming protocol, and I believe they also used H.264 for the video.

Safari and Edge were the only browsers for a long time that supported those formats.

9 minutes ago, Error 52 said:

Not sure then, if I had a plugin on my Firefox or what, cause never had to use VLC for that.

5 hours ago, Commodus said:

Like Ultraforce said, the rumours have USB-C coming next year. Not a dealbreaker if you aren't transferring large files over a wired connection, but worth noting if your phone is powerful enough that you can afford to wait a year.

Not counting on 90Hz or above for the regular iPhone 14 models, unfortunately.

I just have no interest in adding a device to my routine that isn't USB C. 

Shame. Kind of sad that they're not at their price point. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I have a nearly fully broken smartphone and decided to wait for what Apple would have this year for sale as the rumours made it sound like a significant upgrade.

As nice as the new iPhone 14 Pro Max (and the smaller one) look like I just checked the pricing in Portugal and I'm at a total loss for words:

Iphone 14 Pro Max 1TB pricing in the USA: 1599$, 1399$ for the 512GB model.

iPhone 14 Pro Max 512GB pricing in Portugal: 1889€, 2149€ for the 1TB model?!!!

This is beyond insane and I cannot see what justification there could possibly be for this - an iPhone 14 Pro Max costing as much or more than the 512GB Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 is ludicrous -_-

I really wanted an iPhone (the iPhone 13 Pro Max 512GB was being sold for 1629€ back when it was Apple's latest model in here) but this year it feels like it'd be cheaper for me to go to the US and return home just to buy this thing, something I'll definitely not do.

The animations with the dynamic island thing look really slick. AOD being the whole display looks nice... and appears bright when on. I'll probably trade my 13PM in for a 14 pro... I dislike how heavy the 13PM is. Been the first phone in a long time that I legit can't stand using. They still trying to market the pro phones as something that replaces a regular camera. The 13PM has given me the most over processed crap photos I've taken in recent smartphones. Hopefully its fixed with the bigger sensor but I am not hopeful.

Watch Ultra looks like it was branded to people that """overland""" and might go on a gravel road once in a while. Would've preferred the initial rumors where it was just a squared off more durable version of the series 8 allowing for proper screen protectors. Thats something I'd get, given my watch gets abused pretty hard. The SE really closes the gap to the Series 8. All you are lacking is temp sensors, crash detection (which is in the iPhone 14s).... for $150 less? Maybe I am missing something else but seems like a no brainer.

Airpods pro 2 look nice, but my regular pros are still kicking so meh.

Some other things I've read:

Lightning on the 14 series phones still.

No Wifi 6E on any 14 series.

Apple Watch still using a proprietary charger. I don't know why this doesn't get more hate like the phones still using lightning.

13 and 13 mini still being sold, good news to small phone enjoyers that don't want touchid.

No TV refresh like rumored, so the late October/November reveal will be pretty stacked.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

New iPhones:

• iPhone 14
  • iPhone 14 Plus
  • iPhone 14 Pro
  • iPhone 14 Pro Max

Here's an interesting comparison between the iPhone 14 and the iPhone 13 Pro:

Dimensions: the 14 is 0.1mm thicker.

Display: identical.

SOC: 14 has a slightly improved GPU, but otherwise it's identical to the A15.

Camera system: 13 Pro has an additional telephoto camera. Other cameras are identical.

MSRP:  13 Pro: £939. 14: £849

There's a reason the 13 Pro has conveniently vanished from the Apple store: because the "new" iPhone 14 is basically the same thing. With the £150 price hike on the iPhone lineup this year (at least here in the UK) there was no way they could keep it around with it's traditional old-gen discount and still get people to actually buy the new model. It's quite literally the most boring iPhone ever made.

If you're interested in an iPhone 14 in Europe, I'd say don't bother. Buy a discounted iPhone 13 Pro instead as retailers try to get rid of old stock.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

14 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

There's a reason the 13 Pro has conveniently vanished from the Apple store: because the "new" iPhone 14 is basically the same thing.

The outgoing pro phones have been discontinued as soon as the new ones roll out since the 12. This is nothing new. 14s also do not have 120hz. OLED was only trickled down due to most manufacturers not producing LCD phone displays anymore, increasing the price on LCD.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

2 hours ago, TheCharredCarrot said:

I really wanted an iPhone (the iPhone 13 Pro Max 512GB was being sold for 1629€ back when it was Apple's latest model in here) but this year it feels like it'd be cheaper for me to go to the US and return home just to buy this thing, something I'll definitely not do.

Jonathan Horst from LMG's own Mac Address talked about one recommendation especially for those who are interested in the more HALO apple phones is to go with Apple's refurbished store. While they don't have the option in their Portugese website they do have it for their spanish store including iphone 12 pro 256 gb for 1089 euroes albeite in a gold colour. Maybe if you looked around you'd find other better deals for refurbished on their site, in Canada all the refurbished iphones are iPhone 11 variants. in general the refurbished/clearance store changes a lot pretty randomly but might be an option. I know that would be what I would do if I wasn't somewhat focused on grabbing the eventual USB-C iPhone so I can decrease cables

I do like the Dynamic Island feature on the 14 Pro. It's good that Apple managed to keep the prices the same despite the inflation around the world. I think only the tech nerds in forums would ever care that the regular 14/14+ will keep the same A15 Bionic chip when in fact it is still a very fast one. While I'm currently living in a bustling city surrounded by towers so signal is not a problem for me but for rural areas the satellite SOS can be very useful especially for 911 dispatch calls let's say you're camping on a forest and got an open fracture or you got bitten by a snake or a rabid dog or you're in a similar situation with Blake Lively in the 2016 movie "Shallows". I do think that Satellite SOS can take a longer time for worldwide rollout as that would require regulatory approval.

I was expecting for Apple to finally cave in to the periscope zoom used by many Android phone but at least they finally did pixel binning.

I think the A16 chip being based on a 4 nm lithography would probably mean imo that the upcoming M2 Pro/Max/Ultra chips for Pro Macs will also be based on the same 4 nm lithography but would use the ARMv9 ISA.

With the Apple Watch Ultra, I am definitely not its target audience since I have no plans of hiking to Mt. Everest or sprinting on the Sahara desert. But I do noticed that Samsung has been putting out more videos about their Galaxy Watch 5 on their YT channel, taking advantage of the clout I guess.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

so, the feature that is supposed to safe lives is a premium service?! Ooof!

2 hours ago, phixion said:

Pretty sure comm satellite companies that actually maintain and operate communication satellites aren't doing it for charity.

Once satellite SOS becomes a standard feature on all phones, a legislation can likely pass that makes the service free for everybody. I see that as the only way to get it for free.

As for now, I'm pretty sure you'd know if you are the kind of person to get stuck in the wilderness with no cell connectivity, to plan in advance

3 hours ago, phixion said:

You may be shocked to find out that satellite phones and associated data plans are not free.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

3 hours ago, phixion said:

We will need to see after 2 years, i expect the bandwidth will increase as other vendors on the market come into being and the true emergency aspect (not the sharing of location) will be free and you will get some data as part of Apple One subscription for other stuff.  Saying you get it for free for 2 years to me sounds very much like they are pushing that problem down the road until there is more than one provider out there so that there to keep the prices that the provider wants to charge down.

3 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

I do think that Satellite SOS can take a longer time for worldwide rollout as that would require regulatory approval.

I expect the main issue is having the relay system setup so that there are people who speak the local languages who can take the message and call the correct rescue service for the location in mind.