[Updated] Far Out Stuff - Apple September 2022 Event Thread, Expectations, Reality and stuff.

Lightwreather

Summary

So we now have about 27hrs (Less probably when you reading this) until Apple parts the curtains, takes the stage and releases it's next generation of Phones, I thought it's time to open the thread with all that people are expecting from the event.

I'll update this post once the curtains fall and I get up in the morning with all that did actually come to fruition and possible surprises.

Update: So, the event's completed and I was right, it was a rather average event, with not many notable things, that said there are a couple things that were announced.

What actually happened:

• iPhone 14:
    So, the base iPhone has only received minor revisions. Notably, It's got the same last gen A15. Apple did introduce an iPhone 14 Plus, with largely the same specs just with a bigger screen and battery. Both devices come with an upgraded 12-megapixel main camera sensor, as well as a 12-megapixel TrueDepth selfie camera with autofocus. 
    The iPhone 14 has an updated internal design that allegedly improves thermal performance. We'll see how that holds in time. This is probably the biggest update (Unless the 13 already has an OLED display and I'm forgetting. Edit: Checked and turns out the 13 did have an OLED display.), It's got an OLED screen with 1200 nits peak HDR brightness, 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio on the screen. And it come in 5 colours: midnight, starlight, blue, purple, Product Red.
    Now the iPhone 14 Pro lineup has received the biggest upgrades, quite in line with the rumour mill.
    They include a design that swaps out the notch for a pill-shaped cutout that houses the camera and under-display Face ID system. Apple calls this the “Dynamic Island,” as notifications will pop out and move around this space.
    Additionally, the Pro line has a more powerful A16 chip, a brighter display, better battery life, and a 48-megapixel rear camera with a quad-pixel sensor. Apple’s bringing always-on displays to the iPhone Pro and Pro Max as well, which dim your lock screen’s wallpaper when enabled to continue showing notifications without eating up too much battery.
    The iPhone 14 starts at $799, and the iPhone 14 Plus starts at $899. The iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max will cost $999 and $1,099, respectively. 
    Sadly, it doesn't seem like there will be an iPhone 14 mini however, the 13 mini remains on sale.

One of the biggest announcements, is that Apple is now abandoning the SIM tray in favour of eSIMs with iPhone 14 models sold in the US. Apple says eSIMs are more secure and should help users easily switch between carriers — but it could be trickier for anyone used to the simplicity of popping their SIM card out and switching it to another phone to change service. 
    Apple is also adding satellite connectivity to the new iPhone 14 and 14 Pro for emergency situations in the US and Canada. If you’re in need of help and have no service, Apple says you should be able to point your phone to the nearest satellite to send an SOS message to a nearby emergency service, as long as the sky is clear. The feature will be included for free on new phones for two years.
  • Apple Watch Ultra:
    Apple’s brand new Watch Ultra offers a more rugged design for extreme sports athletes. It has a larger 49mm titanium case designed to protect it from wear and tear, along with a new customizable action button to transition between sports. The new Oceanic Plus App also gives Ultra users the ability to track their underwater dives.
    The Apple Watch Ultra provides up to 36 hours of battery life on just one charge, with Apple set to introduce a battery optimization feature later this year that will give the Ultra an extended 60-hour battery life.
    The Watch Ultra will be available for preorder today for $799.
  • Apple Watch 8:

Apple’s next-gen Apple Watch Series 8 has two new temperature sensors — one on the back and one beneath the display — designed to help with fertility tracking. The watch checks your temperature every five seconds, and Apple says it can detect temperature changes as minor as 0.1 degrees Celsius.
    There’s also a new crash-detecting feature that senses if you’ve been in a car crash and gives you the option to call for help. Apple announced a low-power mode as well, which disables certain features, like always-on display, to help conserve battery.
    The Watch Series 8 starts at $399 for GPS and $499 for cellular

• Apple Watch SE (v2):
    Apple has introduced the next-generation Apple Watch SE. It comes with an upgraded S8 chip that makes it 20 percent faster than the 2020 model and also has some of the same capabilities as the Watch Series 8, including crash detection.
    You can preorder it today for $249 with GPS or $299 with cellular.

• AirPods Pro Gen 2:

Apple has announced an upgraded AirPods Pro, which Apple CEO Tim Cook called its “most advanced” so far. They come with a new H2 chip and spatial audio and have twice the noise-canceling capabilities as the previous model. There's also a new low-distortion audio driver. With iOS 16 you can use the TrueDepth camera on iPhone to create a personal profile for spatial audio, based on the size and shape of your head and ears.
    There are now four ear tip sizes instead of three: the new one is smaller than any of the others, "extra small"
    In addition to an increased six hours of listening time on a single charge (or 30 hours with the charging case), there are also speakers installed on each earbud and the charging case, so you can locate them using the Find My app.
    You can preorder the AirPods Pro for $249 on September 9th
    Edit: Apparently, the AirPods Pro Gen 2 can now use the Apple Watch charger. (Thanks @saltycaramel)

• iOS 16 and watchOS 9:
    They'll be arriving on September the 12th.

Pictures (Credits: ArsTechnica):

• Apple Watch Series 8:
    Spoiler

image.thumb.png.891e1e13ef7fc47130a955f719a295ef.png
    image.thumb.png.ad94577a0afbbe8704536d8952046baa.png

• Apple Watch SE (v2)
    Spoiler

image.thumb.png.982620b07c9b96297cfd7a1a46c3c2ba.png

• Apple Watch Ultra
    Spoiler

image.thumb.png.fd5ca9d46487facd7ac90370727c55c5.png

image.thumb.png.0dc1c7599d39ee4487c8eb726134940d.png

image.thumb.png.810f52d953b4bfa3d00d2dcf1a9c0366.png

• AirPods Pro Gen 2
    Spoiler

image.thumb.png.22fd9076d69382b0fd100652c831ac30.png

image.thumb.png.0215d93d2c9aa99a809a54fa7db5266e.png

image.thumb.png.229b2da508a60e0f005a56eefb3dd6ab.png

image.thumb.png.88f293becad2350278613b8884d6903b.png

• iPhone 14 and 14 Plus
    Spoiler

image.thumb.png.ce266a50e49a51ed8a0035e62d7c5bdb.png

image.thumb.png.76baa47d3388bd11a0d2983b2b701288.png

image.thumb.png.0b24abb11dd99e71f0e08519ac8547e8.png

image.thumb.png.883806543d7a9fe5b005e41de877e327.png

image.thumb.png.799905739041c521eb23dd97ffa19524.png

• Satellite Emergency mode
    Spoiler

image.thumb.png.99cc58e14dc99cbce281dd319f3aa10e.png

• iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max
    Spoiler

image.thumb.png.aa67f2e1082771bd1f7af0d9a0730b01.png

image.thumb.png.73df735b3165a73cf45a692ede56f045.png

image.thumb.png.56d41d5068b4bf4409d5600d9c8c5b99.png

image.thumb.png.8f30a150804adf4de9e8978d19aa0d6f.png

image.thumb.png.35f6cfe35bdc4e72a3484bdc69f961bc.png

image.thumb.png.279632cbb1c372bcbaa52fcb44b3e82d.png

image.thumb.png.1f355f21ad32a051adffd658f5c84c96.png

• iPhone Lineup:
    image.thumb.png.5ace3599ce201eb4083600ccebe26cde.png

Expectations:

Spoiler

Expectations:

I'll start this out with this things that are Far Out from not making an appearance at this event. (Sorry about grammar but I had to make that pun)

•   The iPhone 14:
    This will almost certainly be a part of the show and likely the main attraction. However, it seems that the Pro models will be given the most screen time. The 14 Pro and Pro Max are expected to include three major features: a customisable always-on display (a feature that Android phones have had for years); a 48-megapixel rear camera with a bigger sensor; and a screen that does away with the notch in favor of smaller camera cutouts. With regards to the cutouts, according to MacRumors, the camera and speaker will have separate cutouts when the screen is switched off but will form one long pill shape when powered on. Based on an insider source, Apple will use the extra space between the two cutouts to prominently display the privacy indications for the camera and microphone, which users may be able to tap into for more information about what's currently accessing them. According to 9to5Mac, Apple may optimise its Camera app for its Pro devices by moving some controls, such as the flash and autofocus button, to the top of the screen, while others are put directly beneath the cutout.
    The phone should also get an upgraded A16 processing chip and potentially have two new colors: blue and deep purple. It’s also rumored to support a faster 30W charger (but the phone itself probably won’t come with USB-C just yet), as well as start with 256GB of storage, a jump from the 128GB floor that previous Pro and Pro Max models have. The Pro line is also rumored to have slimmer bezels and bigger batteries. It’s a list of new features that Apple may use to justify a rumoured price hike for its higher-end iPhones.
    However, it does not appear that the regular edition of the iPhone 14 will include many substantial changes. The arrival of a larger 6.7-inch display in the iPhone 14 Max — assuming it's even called that — is believed to be the largest improvement to the non-Pro model. According to an alleged phone packaging from Apple's factory, the corporation may be preparing to replace the "Max" name on the basic iPhone model with "Plus," a label Apple hasn't used since the iPhone 8 Plus.
    Aside from the name, reports from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo suggest that the iPhone 14 (along with the Pro and Pro Max) will include a superior selfie camera featuring autofocus. The base iPhone 14 will most likely have the same A15 processor as the iPhone 13 series. And if you're a fan of little phones, a new Mini is unlikely to emerge this year.
  • New Apple Watches
    Apple is preparing to release three new Apple Watch models: the Watch Series 8, a redesigned SE, and a new rugged "Pro" model geared for extreme sports athletes.
    Let's begin with Series 8. According to Bloomberg reporter Mark Gurman, the next-generation watch will include a new S8 chip, but it will not provide a significant performance increase over the S7 and S6 chips. While Apple isn't likely to include a blood pressure monitor just yet, it may contain a temperature sensor that detects fevers as well as fertility-tracking tools. Not too sure about the uses of the last one but let's go on.
    the new Apple Watch SE is expected to replace the budget Watch Series 3 (Which finally!). It will likely come with the same S8 chip, an upgrade over the S5 chip the 2020 SE model uses. Other than that, it doesn’t look like any other huge changes are in store — it’s expected to retain the same display size as the current SE.
    Gurman believes the expected rugged Apple Watch "Pro" will have a larger "nearly 2-inch display" that is "more shatter-resistant." It may also have a "strong metal" case rather from the previously mentioned rubberized cover. According to a tip from Japan's Mac Otakara, the Pro model could sport a flat-edged display with a larger 47mm shell, up from the 41mm and 45mm sizes of the Apple Watch Series 7. According to 91Mobiles' leaked case designs, the model will sport a tactile button on its left side. Because of its size, the device may not even fit inside earlier Watch bands. Gurman expects it to cost anywhere from $900 to $999. That Price tag is something that feels a bit too high in my personal Opinion.
  • AirPods Pro 2
    First off, expect them to look different. The new AirPods Pro may resemble the Beats Fit Pro, potentially with an in-ear wing tip design that drops the stem. They could also have a focus on fitness tracking thanks to the potential for upgraded motion sensors.
    Kuo also hinted at the possibility of the AirPods Pro supporting lossless audio, allowing for higher-quality sound. This would also make the AirPods Pro 2 the first model to use the Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) — even the high-end AirPods Max don’t support it. If the AirPods Pro 2 do end up supporting the Apple Lossless Audio Codec, it’ll be interesting to see how Apple manages to get around the limitations of Bluetooth, which generally requires compressing audio quality.
    However, reports from MacRumors and 9to5Mac suggest Apple could take a different approach. Apple may instead be working on adding Bluetooth 5.2 support, which uses a new codec that’s supposed to transmit audio more efficiently, allowing for either higher quality audio or reduced battery usage. A recent filing with the Bluetooth SIG products database indicates Apple may be looking into adopting the technology for the AirPods Pro, and 9to5Mac says it saw references to the technology in iOS 16’s code.
  • iOS and watchOS launch dates
    This is something we saw happen in 2020 (I don't remember much about the 21 September event). You all know about the details, and if you don't, there are a ton of articles on the web and even the WWDC22 thread on this forum

My thoughts

Overall, it seems to be a rather benign event this year, a little bit more interesting that last year but it doesn't seem like there would be a major redesign to iPhone as was speculated near the beginning of this year. The improvements are nice (for all listed products) but nothing big to write home about. Maybe something big will happen at the event, maybe nothing interesting does, we'll find out before long.

My thoughts

So, that ends another Apple event, the main star of the show was indeed the iPhone 14 Pro lineup. I do live the concept of the Dynamic island and I hope it trickles down to the regular iPhone models soon. However for me, the more appealing thing was the Watch SE, it has the things I'd be looking for if I were getting a smart watch. However, I'm not in the market rn, so yea. Anyway, the Mac and iPad event will likely happen in either October or November and I'm a lot more interested in that.

btw, that wallpaper on the iPhone 14 Pros, I would have liked it if the position of the colours were inverted (ie. the colour with the circles rather than out, it looks quite garish to me atm)

Sources

Apple.com

TheVerge (Expectations)
ArsTechnica (Event Coverage - Liveblog)

TheVerge (Event Coverage)

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

I'm beyond curious about the Airpods Pro 2, their H2 chip and what new audio capabilities they will bring (lossless proprietary codec or just standard support for lossy LC3 over Bluetooth 5.2). 

That's the last big mystery about this keynote to me. 

3 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

lossless proprietary codec

What I expect apple to do is build on thier existing AAC coded.  

AAC is designed so you can be very selective about the frequencies and responses you encode, so if the phone knows the ecaxt frequency response of the drivers and DAC in the headphones they can remove all the data pertaining to sounds that the DAC and speakers cant reproduced leaving space for more fidelity in the areas were they can make use of the signal.   This is the sort of thing they can do mostly on the host device assuming it has a good audio coded DSP, apple chips have a LOT of compute power using the AMX in this space. 

All the other `lossless` Bluetooth codecs end up sending a lot of data to the headphones that the DAC and drivers in the headphones cant accurately reproduce wasting bandwidth and power, and possible even making the audio quality worse than if those attributes of the sound were stripped. 

1 hour ago, hishnash said:

AAC is designed so you can be very selective about the frequencies and responses you encode, so if the phone knows the ecaxt frequency response of the drivers and DAC in the headphones they can remove all the data pertaining to sounds that the DAC and speakers cant reproduced leaving space for more fidelity in the areas were they can make use of the signal.   This is the sort of thing they can do mostly on the host device assuming it has a good audio coded DSP, apple chips have a LOT of compute power using the AMX in this space. 

All the other `lossless` Bluetooth codecs end up sending a lot of data to the headphones that the DAC and drivers in the headphones cant accurately reproduce wasting bandwidth and power, and possible even making the audio quality worse than if those attributes of the sound were stripped. 

From a technical standpoint you're right.

From a marketing standpoint, it doesn't sound as smooth as going up on that stage and announcing "Last year we brought you lossless music at no additional cost on Apple Music, this year we're going to complete the lossless chain by giving you actually lossless audio on the Airpods Pro 2". (and later on the Airpods Max 2 with usb-c, H2, touch-surface cups and lossless)

This is a good time to remind this quote:

“There’s a number of tricks we can play to maximize or get around some of the limits of Bluetooth. But it’s fair to say that we would like more bandwidth and… I’ll stop right there. We would like more bandwidth”, he smiles.

Gary Geaves, Apple's head of Airpods, December 2021

I want to believe. 

24 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

this year we're going to complete the lossless chain by giving you actually lossless audio on the Airpods Pro 2

I think they can still claim you're getting lossless if they consider the audio stack starting on your phone and only removing samples that the headphone DAC and drivers are going to fail to reproduce correctly.  Apple will say something like "With the new AirPods Pro 2 you get lossless audio playback from Apple Music on iPhone" and this would be true even if they are dropping samples, all the current BT lossless codecs also drop samples (they are not even close to as high fidelity as ALAC, FLAC or WAV) the difference is these codecs do not drop samples based on an exact response function of the DAC/drivers they are communicating to.

Even if they are selectivity dropping samples they would still need more bandwidth if they wanted to ensure that all the valid data is transmitted.  

9 hours ago, hishnash said:

That would not be lossless, and calling it that is very misleading. 

A "lossless codec" means no audio data has been removed from the file itself. 

64Kbps MP3 files doesn't magically become "lossless" just because you play it through a PC speaker. The file itself has still removed a lot of audible data.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

A "lossless codec" means no audio data has been removed from the file itself. 

There is no such codec, every single `lossless` coded removes some data. We define the removed data on lossless codecs as the bit rate.

An audio CD is 1411kbps many people will label this as lossless but there is absolulty data that has been removed. 

And then when you go to play it through a DAC this unit will also remove samples, it will not attempt to recreate all of the samples in the output signal (maybe some very very high end but no small headphone DAC will do that).

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

64Kbps MP3 files doesn't magically become "lossless" just because you play it through a PC speaker. The file itself has still removed a lot of audible data.

No it does not but a 64Kbps MP5 is lossless if it is played through a DAC that can only handle 64Kbps samples.

In fact if you have a DAC that can only handle 64Kbps samples you will end up with a better sound if you pre-filter your 1411kbps `lossless` file down to  64Kbps before sending to your DAC since sending a `1411kbps` stream to the DAC will overwhelm it and it will not select the best samples to re-produce the sound in the most accurate way.

So in the situation were your DAC (and drivers) are limited in the resolution they can reproduce it is better (and is commonly done) to re-sample your `lossless` audio source into a sample rate that you DAC can play.  Many DACs (even mid range models) do this internally were they accept a 1411kbps but they do not have the mussel to represent this as a analog signal so they sample it down to a lower bit rate.  If your DAC is going to do this (any DAC in wireless headphones will) you are better off doing that down sampling on the phone before sending data rather than sending a high big rate stream to the headphones and having the DAC there do extra work to remove that data it phsyicly cant reproduce. 

There is no such codec, every single `lossless` coded removes some data. We define the removed data on lossless codecs as the bit rate.

This is wrong.

It is wrong because the definition of a lossless format is that it does not remove data, at least not in a way where the data can't be recreated.

The bit rate is also NOT the definition of the data that has been removed. You can have a 1000Kbps lossy data stream, and you can have a 1000Kbps lossless data stream.

The bit rate is irrelevant when it comes to lossy vs lossless. 

An audio CD is 1411kbps many people will label this as lossless but there is absolulty data that has been removed. 

No it hasn't. CDs are lossless. It will perfectly store whichever audio data you put on it. 

Again, the terms lossy and lossless only specifies the data itself as it is stored. It does not take into consideration the entire audio pipeline because that would be stupid. If we did define it as "lossless" or "lossy" based on the entire audio pipeline then by that logic even the most terrible MP3 file could still be called "lossless" because it was played on some 1-bit PWM speaker.

Lossy and lossless refers to the audio data itself, nothing else. If you remove data in a way where it can't be recreated exactly as the input, then it is by definition lossy. 

No it does not but a 64Kbps MP5 is lossless if it is played through a DAC that can only handle 64Kbps samples.

No, this is wrong. You are using the words incorrectly.

The DAC is completely irrelevant to whether or not something is "lossy" or "lossless", because those terms only apply to the audio format itself, not the playback chain.

Ask any audio engineer if an MP3 file is lossless. If you tell them "but what if it was played on a certain speaker or on a certain DAC" they would just tell you "that just means the DAC or speaker itself is lossy, not that the format is lossless" or some variant of that.

I get what you are trying to say, but it is wrong to say an audio format is lossless just because the data removed wouldn't be reproduced on some specific set of speaker or DAC. The format itself is still lossy.

I am not the only one who says this either. Apple agrees with me, so I doubt they will do what you proposed and call it "lossless".

Yes I am being pedantic and yes I do understand your POV. But these terms have specific meanings and I don't want them to lose their meaning.

@hishnash

Digital audio compressed by FLAC's algorithm can typically be reduced to between 50 and 70 percent of its original size[4] and decompresses to an identical copy of the original audio data.

I think you might be confusing optimization and audio mastering choices with what the container output file and codec does. You can change the output bit rate etc etc but once it's output to the file and gone through FLAC compression if you were to decompress it what you get back out is exactly the same as what you put in.

aka Garbage in garbage out, or ideally quality in quality out.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

The DAC is completely irrelevant to whether or not something is "lossy" or "lossless", because those terms only apply to the audio format itself, not the playback chain.

For the audio file being transmitted and saved on disk sue but if you're attaching the term losses to an audio playback device then the DAC and how it process the signal is very much part of the equation.  

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I am not the only one who says this either. Apple agrees with me, so I doubt they will do what you proposed and call it "lossless".

Yes I am being pedantic and yes I do understand your POV. But these terms have specific meanings and I don't want them to lose their meaning.

Apple does not current disclose the codec and format they are using over BT (they have said they have a custom codec but have not talked more about it).

I think it is completely reasable that apple would brand something as lossless even if some of the DAC prepossessing happens on your phone before transmission assuming the result of this is the same quality audio out the other end.  They would not say `plays lossless BT audio` but rather plays lossless music from Apple Music on iPhone. 

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

You can change the output bit rate etc etc but once it's output to the file and gone through FLAC compression if you were to decompress it what you get back out is exactly the same as what you put in.

Yes for a file format but we are talking bout a digital to anolgo conversion stack there is no such system that produces bit for bit the same sign the output is not in bits but in analog audio. 

Only interested to see if they finally switch over to USB C for the iPhone. I'd also like to see at least 90hz screens on the non Pro models. I fully expect a ridiculous price for the Pro watch. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

30 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Only interested to see if they finally switch over to USB C for the iPhone. I'd also like to see at least 90hz screens on the non Pro models. I fully expect a ridiculous price for the Pro watch. 

I think the general expectation is that USB-C is coming next year rather than this year.

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

Like Ultraforce said, the rumours have USB-C coming next year. Not a dealbreaker if you aren't transferring large files over a wired connection, but worth noting if your phone is powerful enough that you can afford to wait a year.

Not counting on 90Hz or above for the regular iPhone 14 models, unfortunately.

its funny how the apple watch ultra is for the outdoors 😄 with the 36 hour battery, will work great when you are stranded in mountains with your dead pocket weight.

NVM i guess you could always take a battery bank

11 minutes ago, Exty said:

its funny how the apple watch ultra is for the outdoors 😄 with the 36 hour battery, will work great when you are stranded in mountains with your dead pocket weight 

I think it might be less outdoors and more so exercise. I don't know about most apple watch users but as I don't have always on display and don't sleep with it I can make it two days but if I exercise or need to check the watch a lot it can get down to 5% before I'm at a place where I could easily put it at the charging dock. In general while I love the milanese watch band I feel like stuff to try and make it easier when doing exercise is super convenient. Though even if it's less then predicted at $800 that's way too much from my perspective.

20 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

I want to believe. 

Did I hear "high bandwidth connectivity" about the H2 on the Airpods Pro 2?

"All US models lack a SIM tray"

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

The improvements are barely worth it. That said, that remark of A16 beating the competition is definitely a low blow.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

6 hours ago, hishnash said:

Apple does not current disclose the codec and format they are using over BT (they have said they have a custom codec but have not talked more about it).

Apple definitely discloses their BT codecs… 256Kbit AAC with SBC as a fallback.

That said, if you’re referring to this specific presentation, I haven’t seen it.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I simply refuse to believe that "creators" are mounting a phone to one of those giant arm thingies.

https://i.gyazo.com/99949b3d12a5ab3a63d676aed46ebf68.jpg

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Tell me you are a narcissistic backwards company without telling me you are a narcissistic backwards company: preventing people from time-shifting the livestream.. If this would have been a live show, I could understand their reasoning. For a pre-produced video, it's just a finger for everyone being late to the party.

The dynamic island on the Pro looks neat, SOS via Satellite looks like a paid feature, and I'm not liking the lack of SIM tray on the US models.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

6 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

Tell me you are a narcissistic backwards company without telling me you are a narcissistic backwards company: preventing people from time-shifting the livestream.. If this would have been a live show, I could understand their reasoning. For a pre-produced video, it's just a finger for everyone being late to the party.

Isn't that standard procedure on yt livestreams?

Or is that a thing on only the streams I get to watch?

Well anyway, the VOD is a thing and anyone who's pretty big in the tech media space is probably sitting on a lawn in Cupertino rn, so… idk

Welp, Imma head to bed, I'll get the updates up in the morning.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

7 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

Or you know, instead of expressing tinfoil hat energy, you could realize that it’s an infrastructure limitation when you have millions and millions of people watching at once.

Doesn’t matter what company it is, serving out the actual full video file to that many people all at once would be a miserable experience for everyone involved.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20