anyway to reduce input lag from guitar amp through pc usb c?

bmx6454

hello, i use the fender mustang micro, and i love it, works great for quiet playing when i don't want to annoy the roommates, or late at night. i have been wanting to use it through my pc as this opens up a large amount of fun options like recording, pedal effects, playing to beats/instrument tracks, ect, and my pc headset is much better. i have been trying it through usb, and it works fine, but it has a slight delay, and this pretty much makes it unusable for this. i have the option to run it through the 3.5 output on the mustang to the pc's 3.5 input, but i would need to order a new cable for this(not the end of the world), and I'm not sure it would sound as good(or even fix the issues for sure), and wanted to see if it's doable with what i already have. does anyone have experience with this(or similar), and know a way to eliminate or drastically cut down the delay?

thanks for any input, have a great day!

Do you already use a proper DAW (Reaper, Cakewalk, Cubase,...) for recording and so on? That would make things easier. 

Low latency audio under Windows requires specific ASIO drivers. Fender actually has a nice support-article on how to set everything up: 

https://tone-support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042936631-How-to-reduce-USB-audio-latency-by-using-an-ASIO-driver-with-a-Windows-based-computer

However, be aware that there are limits on what your system will be capable of playing back at a given latency without any hiccups - plugins that need a lot of processing power might be problematic with short latencies.
Another important thing to consider is that sound outputted via ASIO isn't controlled by the Windows volume control. It'll always be on full blast, so you have to control the volume within the DAW. 

1 hour ago, Sandbass said:

Do you already use a proper DAW (Reaper, Cakewalk, Cubase,...) for recording and so on? That would make things easier. 

Low latency audio under Windows requires specific ASIO drivers. Fender actually has a nice support-article on how to set everything up: 

https://tone-support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042936631-How-to-reduce-USB-audio-latency-by-using-an-ASIO-driver-with-a-Windows-based-computer

However, be aware that there are limits on what your system will be capable of playing back at a given latency without any hiccups - plugins that need a lot of processing power might be problematic with short latencies.
Another important thing to consider is that sound outputted via ASIO isn't controlled by the Windows volume control. It'll always be on full blast, so you have to control the volume within the DAW. 

no, i don't use a daw program, just started messing with this for pc, so still pretty lacking on knowledge about all that. thank you for the link, and info, i will look into setting these up tonight and try and see if it helps reduce the lag.