Ubisoft decommissioning online services for a number of (not necessary online) games. Games may not function properly anymore.

Strijker

Ubisoft is going to decommission online services in September.

Some games, amongst which several Assassin's Creed releases, might not be able to be downloaded or installed anymore. For some others DLC content might break, or other parts of the games might be negatively affected.

The following games are affected:

• Anno 2070
  • Assassin's Creed II
  • Assassin's Creed 3 (2012 Release)*
  • Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
  • Assassin's Creed Liberation HD
  • Assassin's Creed Revelations
  • Driver San Francisco
  • Far Cry 3 (2012 Release)*
  • Ghost Recon Future Soldier
  • Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
  • Rayman Legends
  • Silent Hunter 5
  • Space Junkies
  • Splinter Cell: Blacklist
  • ZombiU

Space Junkies will be completely unusable, since it's a fully online game. Other games will be partially compromised. The link below has a table with more information on how these games will be affected.

My thoughts

My thoughts are comprised of mainly expletives, so I'll leave that for the reader to fill in.

Sources

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/help/gameplay/article/decommissioning-of-online-services-september-2022/000102396

Additionally, the installation and access to downloadable content (DLC) will be unavailable.

Not being able to access DLC in those games is a bit insulting.

Even more reason not to buy games from Ubisoft.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Strijker said:

For some others DLC content might break, or other parts of the games might be negatively affected.

As someone who very rarely, buys DLC content anyways... My take away is definitely do not buy DLC. This seems like the most likely thing to break when companies bail on old games, which will happen.

I hope they'll push out a patch ahead of time that 'disconnects' these games from the platform so they'll at least continue to run after the servers are taken offline.

I also hope I win the lottery someday.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, Strijker said:

l be completely unusable, since it's a fully online game. Other games will be partially compromised. The link below has a table with more information on how these games will be affected.

Me sweating at the thought of when Bungie might decommission the Destiny franchise. Granted it'll be a few years since there are 2 more annual expansions on the roadmap. But it is a scary thought since it too is a completely online game.  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

More games for the trash pile...

If only they would release server files if the always online games and issue an update that allows local servers... But they won't do that. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

14 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

More games for the trash pile...

If only they would release server files if the always online games

I wonder if developers are scared to do so since most of their current games are probably share the same code base as older titles. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

They don't bother to release another Rayman game in like 10 years then kill the last one anyway, thanks ubisoft I still had fun getting #2 and 3 on those courses

3 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

I hope they'll push out a patch ahead of time that 'disconnects' these games from the platform so they'll at least continue to run after the servers are taken offline.

"We cant do that because of piracy!" 🤬

3 hours ago, Eaglerino said:

They don't bother to release another Rayman game in like 10 years then kill the last one anyway, thanks ubisoft I still had fun getting #2 and 3 on those courses

Time to riot then.

Raving_Rabbids.jpg.040564bdbcdc97ccf142931e61f3c944.jpg

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Reminder that it is legal to patch games so they can be played after the servers are shutdown: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/11/u-s-govt-grants-limited-right-to-revive-games-behind-abandoned-servers/?amp=1

Shutting down the servers is inviting the community to start hacking at the game, with no recourse via copyright. Now, the community isn’t legally allowed to do more than provide an offline-play patch for users who have obtained the content already, but you know that’s not how this works. As for DLC, if you bought it once then I don’t care how you get the content bits into your computer.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

That's an awful lot of Assassin's Creed titles on that list that I'd have to think are still viable sellers for them to just drop an axe without a plan.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

41 minutes ago, brwainer said:

if you bought it once then I don’t care how you get the content bits into your computer.

With you until then.  "I don't care" wasn't in the terms and conditions you agreed to before buying and installing DLC for the first time

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

e06f29a2a451566efc39403fc318060f.gif

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

lIvE sErViCe gAmEs aRe fOrEvEr.

sInGlE pLaYeR oNlY gAmEs are dEaD.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, SimplyChunk said:

With you until then.  "I don't care" wasn't in the terms and conditions you agreed to before buying and installing DLC for the first time

I admit that is where legally this situation really sucks (other than the fact that the community patching every single one of the to-be-abandoned games is unlikely, and will take time and effort to accomplish)

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

On 7/3/2022 at 11:48 AM, Spotty said:

For the DLC I think it's specifically that DLC can't be installed or downloaded on the PC versions, the Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii U versions can still have the DLC installed or downloaded. Of course the Wii U online services is closing fairly soon anyways. But the list specified which platforms it would affect and the DLC stuff effected PC and nothing else.

Edited by Ultraforce
Correction on factual error

That's lame. No worries I can always play them..

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

37 minutes ago, Ultraforce said:

For the DLC I think it's specifically that DLC can't be installed or downloaded on PC or Xbox 360 for most of them the PS3 and Wii U versions can still have the DLC installed or downloaded. Of course the Wii U online services is closing fairly soon anyways. But the list specified which platforms it would effect and the DLC stuff effected PC, Xbox 360 and nothing else.

Yeah, in Ubisoft's blog post listing the affected games it only lists DLC being unavailable for PC versions. The PS3/Xbox 360 versions do not list DLC being unavailable.

eg.

image.png

I wonder why it doesn't apply to the console versions. I guess the verification of ownership is done by Playstation/Xbox servers instead of Ubisoft's own servers? I actually have no idea how DLC works on consoles. I only play games on PC though and I do own several of the PC games that appear in that list. Some of the Assassin's Creed's games listed, Driver San Francisco, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, Far Cry 3, Prince of Persia. I'm not sure if I own DLC for any of those titles though. Can't say I've played any of them recently but it is disappointing knowing that I can't go back and play them whenever I want.

I'm surprised that Ubisoft is just shutting down servers for the games though. Doesn't Ubisoft have their own monthly game subscription? Just throw the back catalogue of games in there to offer more value and incentive for people to subscribe.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

How to go bankrupt...

To me Ubisoft died at 2014~2015,butchering games with copying popular trends and stopped caring for many of their franchises.

For example they took the skill based fast paced stealth/action-adventure that was Assassin's Creed and turned it into a level based slow paced action-adventure RPG copycat of the Witcher 3.

Or how they canceled Rainbow 6 Patriots and instead released Rainbow 6 Siege - They replaced a single player game with a multiplayer live service,

Or how they implemented NFTs in Ghost Recon Breakpoint.

Even though Assassin's Creed II is a single player game with no multiplayer - It has an always online DRM since launch.

And now they are taking the servers down...

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

On 7/3/2022 at 5:48 PM, Spotty said:

also anyone who has dealt with microsoft live, these locks have always been such a pain in the ***.

To games that are still being able to be purchased, but their crap being completely broken or no longer supported.

6 hours ago, Ultraforce said:

For the DLC I think it's specifically that DLC can't be installed or downloaded on PC or Xbox 360 for most of them the PS3 and Wii U versions can still have the DLC installed or downloaded. 

But the list specified which platforms it would effect and the DLC stuff effected PC, Xbox 360 and nothing else.

god damn it. "it moslty affects the non-sony peasants".

9 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

also anyone who has dealt with microsoft live, these locks have always been such a pain in the ***.

To games that are still being able to be purchased, but their crap being completely broken or no longer supported.

god damn it. "it moslty affects the non-sony peasants".

Spotty actually corrected me it's PC only, the likely reason is that DLC through consoles is done differently than on PC and Ubisoft is following the rules for that.

9 hours ago, SimplyChunk said:

"I don't care" wasn't in the terms and conditions you agreed to before buying and installing DLC for the first time

Yeah no, that argument wouldnt stand even in a court room..... (As long as you can prove that you purchased it.)

5 hours ago, Vishera said:

How to go bankrupt...

They're not, much as you might wish it.

5 hours ago, Vishera said:

For example they took the skill based fast paced stealth/action-adventure that was Assassin's Creed and turned it into a level based slow paced action-adventure RPG copycat of the Witcher 3.

Or how they canceled Rainbow 6 Patriots and instead released Rainbow 6 Siege - They replaced a single player game with a multiplayer live service,

Siege and the W3-esque AssCreed games have been hugely successful.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16