No longer integrated - Intel launches ARC GPU for laptops.

williamcll

After a few months of delay, intel has announced their dedicated graphics lineup, including a desktop gpu that will come later.

Quotes

Today, we are officially launching our Intel® Arc™ graphics family for laptops, completing the Intel platform. These are the first discrete GPUs from our Intel Arc A-Series graphics portfolio for laptops, with our desktop and workstation products coming later this year. You can visit our Newsroom for our launch video, product details and technical demos, but I will summarize the highlights of how our Intel Arc platform and A-Series mobile GPU family will deliver hardware, software, services and – ultimately – high-performance graphics experiences.

INTEL-ARC-ALCHEMIST-1.jpg

New Laptops with Intel Arc Graphics: We’ve partnered with top OEMs to co-engineer an amazing lineup of laptops that feature new and improved gaming and content creation capabilities with Intel Arc graphics and 12th Gen Intel® Core™ processors. Many new systems with Intel Arc 3 graphics will feature the Intel Evo platform’s trademark responsiveness, battery life and Wi-Fi 6 connectivity in thin-and-light form factors. Laptops with Intel Arc 3 graphics offer enhanced 1080p gaming and advanced content creation, and those with Intel Arc 5 and Intel Arc 7 graphics will offer the same cutting-edge, content-creation capabilities coupled with increased graphics and computing performance. The first laptops with Intel Arc 3 GPUs are available to preorder now and will be followed by the more powerful designs with Intel Arc 5 and Intel Arc 7 graphics in early summer.

INTEL-ARC-ALCHEMIST-1.jpg

Community Experiences: Our Intel Arc graphics are more than another piece of hardware in your PC. They are your portal to play and create. We have a dedicated team focused on delivering Day 0 game-ready drivers, which you’ll be able to track in our new Intel® Arc Control interface, an all-in-one hub that puts you in full control of the gaming experience. Intel Arc Control includes custom performance profiles, built-in streaming, a virtual camera, integrated Game ON driver downloading, automatic game capture, and more. The app supports Intel® Iris X e graphics and Intel Arc GPUs for a unified software experience. By working with our developer partners, we are making a growing portfolio of Intel-optimized games and multimedia applications available to discrete graphics customers through special launch bundles. Bundles will vary based on the system and the region, but the first of these gamer and creator bundles is rolling out in April with the launch of our A-Series mobile products. Our goal is to deliver something new and fun to the community every day of the year. We invite you to connect with us and join the conversation on our Intel Insiders discord.

My thoughts

Hard to say how good they are without a clear comparison against other competitors, but more choices are always good. though it's interesting to see intel going straight ahead with a 16GB laptop gpu, though it seems mid-high at most looking at the specs.

Sources

https://videocardz.com/press-release/intel-launches-arc-alchemist-discrete-gpu-for-laptops

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

9 minutes ago, williamcll said:

After a few months of delay, intel has announced their dedicated graphics lineup, including a desktop gpu that will come later.

Quotes

My thoughts

Hard to say how good they are without a clear comparison against other competitors, but more choices are always good. though it's interesting to see intel going straight ahead with a 16GB laptop gpu, though it seems mid-high at most looking at the specs.

Sources

https://videocardz.com/press-release/intel-launches-arc-alchemist-discrete-gpu-for-laptops

Kinda weird they are starting with laptop gpus. How many people even use laptop gpus?

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

I'm glad they announced it with a Video that was probably rendered with an NVIDIA GPU lol

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

12 minutes ago, CephDigital said:

... Everyone that uses a laptop? 

I believe they meant "laptops with dedicated GPUs", since those are mostly used in those gaming laptops, workstation ones or other large models with a low/mid-range GPU (such as the bigger XPS models).

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

If lowest ones are indeed "available now" then someone will buy and test them.

How big is AV1 hardware encoding support? Might have a niche there itself.

They also took a dig at nvidia when they showed the control panel saying words to the effect "no login required". 😄 

55 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Technically mobile isn't entirely delayed since it was only ever stated as a Q1 launch. Desktop has been delayed to Q2.

55 minutes ago, williamcll said:

it's interesting to see intel going straight ahead with a 16GB laptop gpu, though it seems mid-high at most looking at the specs.

Might be aiming at compute use cases, not just gaming. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

FINALLY!

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

1 hour ago, CephDigital said:

... Everyone that uses a laptop? 

90% of laptop userds only need GPU to just display a picture so they can work on spreadsheets. People who need GPU brute force in laptops are in huge minority.

41 minutes ago, leadeater said:

lol this looks familiar, wonder who's homework they were copying 🙃

image.thumb.png.4ac3de327295c7b29806e84d7b4cf14e.png

Nah pretty certain Apple and Samsung copied Intel on this one. /s

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Cool, we'll have to see how good the drivers are since I recall intel having issues with compatibility with certain games where performance just tanks for no apparent reason.

4GB not as great, 6GB when?
oh well. AV1, those guys do like AV1 and oh. Wonder how it will perform now and on intel GPU.

Also death stranding seems to have XeSS now, so we might see a "review" or look into it at some point.

Edited by Quackers101

Apparently, A370 is 25-50% faster (according to Intel) than fastest Intel integrated GPUs currently on the market. Trouble is, the new RDNA2 integrated Radeon 680M is also about 35% faster than fastest Intel integrated. Things going for it are encoding etc, but my expectations are low, since a separate die is bound to cost more.

Now, considering A350 is to have less cores with lower clock than A370 I fully expect it to be DOA.

19 minutes ago, Ydfhlx said:

Now, considering A350 is to have less cores with lower clock than A370 I fully expect it to be DOA.

got to wait and see, but I guess the A3 series is maybe not as great for gaming.

Do wonder how good for the price and to performance per watt those higher end laptop GPUs will be, and some of the hinted at stats before release.

53 minutes ago, Ydfhlx said:

Apparently, A370 is 25-50% faster (according to Intel) than fastest Intel integrated GPUs currently on the market. Trouble is, the new RDNA2 integrated Radeon 680M is also about 35% faster than fastest Intel integrated. Things going for it are encoding etc, but my expectations are low, since a separate die is bound to cost more.

Generally speaking iGPU/APU graphics performance are scaled to available bandwidth. I had to look up what a 680M was, it's the GPU part of the Ryzen 6000 series APUs? DDR5 4800 coupled with Ryzen would give around 75 GB/s bandwidth shared with CPU. At A3x0M is GDDR6 on 64-bit bus, and I'm not aware of a stated clock for them. If we look at the 3060 laptop version as guide, then it would translate to around 110 GB/s of dedicated bandwidth. Of course, it may be higher or lower than that according to performance and power targets, and design choices may make one or other more/less sensitive to bandwidth availability.

We're going to have to look at like for like tests to get a clear picture. It will likely depend on the test settings also.

Also will throw in gaming performance isn't the only thing, with many compute use cases which may be interesting.

31 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

Do wonder how good for the price and to performance per watt those higher end laptop GPUs will be, and some of the hinted at stats before release.

It wasn't quoted to this thread but there was a slide indicating typical power of the mobile range. A770M is listed as 120-150W, which puts it into 3070 range (the one in my laptop is 130W).

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

lol this looks familiar, wonder who's homework they were copying 🙃

image.thumb.png.4ac3de327295c7b29806e84d7b4cf14e.png

Do you think ARC is compatible with Windows 8?

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

25 minutes ago, cmndr said:

Do you think ARC is compatible with Windows 8?

Officially likely no, Intel would not be creating and releasing drivers for it. You could however try and get different OS drivers to work on it as that can sometimes work.

Windows 8.1 reached the end of Mainstream Support on January 9, 2018, and will reach end of Extended Support on January 10, 2023

Support is currently no new features etc so something like this wouldn't be covered typically for an OS at this status.

5 hours ago, igormp said:

I believe they meant "laptops with dedicated GPUs", since those are mostly used in those gaming laptops, workstation ones or other large models with a low/mid-range GPU (such as the bigger XPS models).

Ah forgot the /s, my bad. 

4 hours ago, RejZoR said:

90% of laptop userds only need GPU to just display a picture so they can work on spreadsheets. People who need GPU brute force in laptops are in huge minority.

I do agree with this though. There's very few people who need a dGPU for a laptop excluding gamers. 

Holy crap, when I saw people talk about AV1 I thought "we've already had decoding for quite some time now, why is everyone talking about it?", then I realized Intel supports encoding.

That is fantastic news.

I am optimistic about all the features Intel have shown so far.

Not that much info about the two most important things though, pricing and how it performs. Hopefully we will get some good indications of those two once people start getting the Arc 3 GPUs in their hands.

9 hours ago, Ydfhlx said:

Ah dear Bidoof, the Tech nerd and avgeek withinn me are going to war over that naming scheme.

17 hours ago, porina said:

How big is AV1 hardware encoding support? Might have a niche there itself.

image.thumb.png.49417377b685bbf37c4d6cd0ebbaf0c2.png

@WereCatmy question was more about the potential userbase for it. How many use AV1 now? How many more would use it if it had higher encoding performance?

2 minutes ago, porina said:

@WereCatmy question was more about the potential userbase for it. How many use AV1 now? How many more would use it if it had higher encoding performance?

I dont like that line of thinking.
Thats like saying how many people use HEVC encoding, or 10 years ago, h.264 encoding.

Not many when the first chips with hardware encoding came out, but many do now. AV1 is a good codec and its past due for this.