Whistleblower: Microsoft is tied to hundreds of millions of dollars in foreign bribes

gjsman

Summary

According to a whistleblower, Microsoft is actually tied to hundreds of millions of dollars in foreign bribes, and almost all of Microsoft's leadership knows about it and is complicit.

Quotes

What is a shock: This time around, the SEC and DOJ have both declined to investigate Microsoft over the same types of bribes in the Middle East and Africa. They acknowledged my evidence (which I submitted three times) yet did not take up the case, claiming that the current pandemic has prevented them from gathering more evidence from abroad—even though I have already provided documentation that I believe shows Microsoft is in breach of the 2019 agreement and is still participating in corrupt business practices in direct violation of U.S. law.

They're promoting the bad people. If you're doing the right thing, they won't promote you.

“I don’t want you to be a blocker,” he recalls the manager telling him. If he uncovered anything suspicious, the manager said, “You have to turn your head and leave it as is.”

My thoughts

Studying Microsoft's behavior and incompetence over the last few years (particularly with Windows), I'm actually not surprised.

If crap really hits the fan, we could see a repeat of the Lockheed Bribery Scandals that nearly destroyed that company.

Sources

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/25/22995144/microsoft-foreign-corrupt-practices-bribery-whistleblower-contracting

(source The Verge used below)

https://www.lioness.co/post/microsoft-is-using-illegal-bribes-in-the-middle-east-and-africa-why-is-the-sec-turning-a-blind-eye

In a week or two no one will have hear of this. It will be forgotten because the people that can spread will be given money to keep quiet. *puts on tinfoil hat* The end of the world is nye.

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

Actually, let me add to my thoughts. There is one group that this really gifts, and that's Congress. They've not been the most friendly to tech in recent years, but foreign bribes could become a hot topic for fresh regulations. 

Bribery is pretty common here in Asia, not a secret. I'm not surprised, it's been that way for too long. A simple "thank you" money can make or break a deal.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Wow what else is new.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 hour ago, mr fobs said:

It will be forgotten because the people that can spread will be given money to keep quiet. *puts on tinfoil hat*

Sadly its not tinfoil hat category, and those who wont budge the bribers will express their concerns regarding their family....

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

Bribery is pretty common here in Asia, not a secret. I'm not surprised, it's been that way for too long. A simple "thank you" money can make or break a deal.

I think they prefer the phrasing (additional monetary incentive) instead of bribe. I mean let's be honest aren't most deals a type of bribe to some extent? 

As with all ex-employee whistleblowers, take what they say with a grain of salt. Everything said here could be said about pretty much every large multinational corporation.

"Ex-employee sees payments that don't makes sense, concludes they are bribes" just isn't as catchy of a headline.

Things they do may break the law in the USA, but some thing ARE the law in the other countries.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

As with all ex-employee whistleblowers, take what they say with a grain of salt. Everything said here could be said about pretty much every large multinational corporation.

"Ex-employee sees payments that don't makes sense, concludes they are bribes" just isn't as catchy of a headline.

Things they do may break the law in the USA, but some thing ARE the law in the other countries.

Not only this but the story shows more so that it's employees pocketing money not Microsoft bribing foreign governments. This whole thing seems so exaggerated 

5 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Bribery is pretty common here in Asia, not a secret. I'm not surprised, it's been that way for too long.

hearing about some of the monetary cultural things in japan absolutely blows my mind.

Reikin ("gratitude money") is a mandatory payment to the landlord that is often the same amount as the original deposit. However, reikin can be the equivalent of six months (or more) of rent, but is typically the same as one to three months of rent. This money is considered a gift to the landlord and is not returned after the lease is ended.

basically money on top of your normal rent and security deposit that is no more than a "thank you for letting my rent your place"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

No Duh, pretty sure all Global companies does this beyond a shadow of a doubt.

ohnoesanyways.jpg? 

ms is way too important for global economics and especially for cyber security as well… as long they dont try to cheat netscape again they're good. : p

12 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

let's be honest aren't most deals a type of bribe to some extent? 

yeap, especially the $70b deals for some washed up "development studios" … 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

It's all for Windows improvements.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

While bribes may be expected and normal it doesn't mean it's not a violation of law and the US has a specific law that forbades companies based here from commiting bribery in foreign countries. We are, after all, Team America:World Police.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_Corrupt_Practices_Act

It's a pretty straight forward law designed to limit the abuse of US based companies in foreign countries.

Specifically this provision added in the late 80's probably applies to this situation since MS was made aware of allegations and seemingly did nothing.

The Act was first amended by the Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act of 1988, where Title V is known as the 'Foreign Corrupt Practices Act Amendments of 1988'. It introduced a "knowing" standard in order to find violations of the Act, encompassing "conscious disregard" and "willful blindness." Other amendments were for "bona fide", "reasonable" and lawful gifts under the laws of the foreign country.

Am I surprised? Not one bit. Is it illegal? Oh most probably. Will anything come of it? Probably not.

What's this? A global mega corporation is involved in bribes and illegal activity?

shockedkirk.jpeg

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy