Intel introduces first new ATX Spec in nearly 20 years (ATX 3.0) with ATX12VO and 12+4-pin 12VHPWR connections- Just in time for RTX 3090ti next week

Deadpool2onBlu-Ray
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
32 minutes ago, Ryan829 said:

Summary

It has been in the works for quite awhile, but Intel is finally introducing a new ATX PSU spec. It sounds like ALL new <450w power supplies are going to have to abide by this spec or face higher component prices.

You mean > 450W and not < 450W, right?  We'll get back to this part when you can clear up what you're trying to say here.

"A new 12VHPWR connector will power most, if not all, future PCIe 5.0 desktop Add-in cards (e.g., graphics cards). This new connector provides up to 600 watts directly to any PCIe 5.0 Add-in/graphics card. It also includes sideband signals that will allow the power supply to communicate the power limit it can provide to any PCIe 5.0 graphic card"

They're not signals.  At least not the wires that the desktop cards will use.  They're just sense grounds.  Read Aris's write up on it.  It has the table on there.

350> watts

Please figure out how to use the > and < signs.  😉

As much as I look forward to getting rid of ugly 24pin ATX Cables/ 2/3x 8 pin PCIE cables, I can see this being a big issue. I can see a situation where 80% of Zen 4 (X670?) and Raptor Lake (Z790?) motherboards use the old spec with the 24 pin power connector, and the other 20% adopt the new standard. This is going to cause a really awkward transition phase where it is hard to recommend the route for builders to take.

Why?  When you're building, you take into account the chassis (ATX?  SFX?), the motherboard (ATX12V?  ATX12VO?) and the GPU (6-pin?  Two 6-pin?  6 & 8-pin?  Three 8-pin?  12+4-pin)  So this is no different.

What it WILL mean in many situations is you won't be able to shove your 10 year old PSU into your 4090 build.  But hey.....  You just spend $3K on a GPU!  What's another couple hundo?

I can see there being a shortage of these new power supplies for sure.

For sure?  How do you come to this conclusion?

Summary

The 4090? is going to pull at a minimum >350 watts, so A LOT of people are going to be looking at new PSU's anyways, why not get the new spec?

Actually, 600W.  Where did you get 350W from?  LOL!  And yes..... Why not get the new spec?

There is also a rumor that some of the AIB 3090tis are going to use the new 12+4 pin connector, while some will use 3x8 pin. What a mess. 

That would be a mess.  But remember:  The 12+4-pin is part of the PCIe 5.0 spec.  PCI-SIG has the "old" 6 and 8-pin connectors anywhere in the 5.0 spec.  So if they put something other than a 12+4 pin on the card, they're breaking spec and my guess is PCI-SIG won't let them say the card is PCIe 5.0.

Summary

It has been in the works for quite awhile, but Intel is finally introducing a new ATX PSU spec. It sounds like ALL new >450w power supplies are going to have to abide by this spec or face higher component prices. This new spec will allow PSU's to provide 600w on one rail for next generation PCIE Gen 5 GPUS. These new PSUs will also be more durable as well as more power efficient. 

Quotes

"A new 12VHPWR connector will power most, if not all, future PCIe 5.0 desktop Add-in cards (e.g., graphics cards). This new connector provides up to 600 watts directly to any PCIe 5.0 Add-in/graphics card. It also includes sideband signals that will allow the power supply to communicate the power limit it can provide to any PCIe 5.0 graphic card"

My thoughts

As much as I look forward to getting rid of ugly 24pin ATX Cables/ 2/3x 8 pin PCIE cables, I can see this being a big issue. I can see a situation where 80% of Zen 4 (X670?) and Raptor Lake (Z790?) motherboards use the old spec with the 24 pin power connector, and the other 20% adopt the new standard. This is going to cause a really awkward transition phase where it is hard to recommend the route for builders to take. I can see there being a shortage of these new power supplies for sure. The 4090? is going to pull at a minimum 350 <  watts, so A LOT of people are going to be looking at new PSU's anyways, why not get the new spec? There is also a rumor that some of the AIB 3090tis are going to use the new 12+4 pin connector, while some will use 3x8 pin. What a mess. 

Sources

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/newsroom/news/intel-introduces-new-atx-psu-specifications.html 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

@jonnyGURU Let's get your thoughts on this 🤣😂😅

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

Summary

It has been in the works for quite awhile, but Intel is finally introducing a new ATX PSU spec. It sounds like ALL new <450w power supplies are going to have to abide by this spec or face higher component prices.

You mean > 450W and not < 450W, right?  We'll get back to this part when you can clear up what you're trying to say here.

They're not signals.  At least not the wires that the desktop cards will use.  They're just sense grounds.  Read Aris's write up on it.  It has the table on there.

350> watts

As much as I look forward to getting rid of ugly 24pin ATX Cables/ 2/3x 8 pin PCIE cables, I can see this being a big issue. I can see a situation where 80% of Zen 4 (X670?) and Raptor Lake (Z790?) motherboards use the old spec with the 24 pin power connector, and the other 20% adopt the new standard. This is going to cause a really awkward transition phase where it is hard to recommend the route for builders to take.

Why?  When you're building, you take into account the chassis (ATX?  SFX?), the motherboard (ATX12V?  ATX12VO?) and the GPU (6-pin?  Two 6-pin?  6 & 8-pin?  Three 8-pin?  12+4-pin)  So this is no different.

What it WILL mean in many situations is you won't be able to shove your 10 year old PSU into your 4090 build.  But hey.....  You just spend $3K on a GPU!  What's another couple hundo?

Summary

The 4090? is going to pull at a minimum >350 watts, so A LOT of people are going to be looking at new PSU's anyways, why not get the new spec?

Actually, 600W.  Where did you get 350W from?  LOL!  And yes..... Why not get the new spec?

There is also a rumor that some of the AIB 3090tis are going to use the new 12+4 pin connector, while some will use 3x8 pin. What a mess. 

That would be a mess.  But remember:  The 12+4-pin is part of the PCIe 5.0 spec.  PCI-SIG has the "old" 6 and 8-pin connectors anywhere in the 5.0 spec.  So if they put something other than a 12+4 pin on the card, they're breaking spec and my guess is PCI-SIG won't let them say the card is PCIe 5.0.

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

I always sucked at math lmao. Stupid < > signs lol 

4 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

350w was just conservative guess. Probably more like 500 at least. And there will be a shortage because there is a shortage of everything post 2020 it seems 🤣

Even the 3090 Ti is doing 450W right now.

2 hours ago, FnigePython said:

Best way to remember which is which is that the crocodile will always face towards the bigger meal (or in this case: wattage)

as in 10 > x (is less than x) or 10 < x (is more than x).

but else mostly remember it being as you say, where the gap faces < the bigger it is or more.

Do feel that people do read those > < signs differently and write them differently, which can cause confusion.

yay standards, oh wait no! arrggh! Also not the first time we talked about ATX12VO, last time a lot of drama about it.

Not going to help if brands don't say when the switch does happen, so that older products are not left behind or if there will be some help at the start.

Edited by Quackers101

4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

But hey.....  You just spend $3K on a GPU!  What's another couple hundo?

Those poor schmucks who spent a thousand bucks on fancier 1200 watt PSUs 10 years ago would have to find a new one.

Not that it matters to me anyway

5 minutes ago, Herrscher of Whatever said:

Those poor schmucks who spent a thousand bucks on fancier 1200 watt PSUs 10 years ago would have to find a new one.

Do they?  😄

Nobody said they didn't work.  Just that they would need a new cable if they get a PCIe 5.0 graphics card.

Not everybody NEEDS ALSM.  Nobody NEEDS 60% and higher efficiency at 2% load.  That's just it.  These "requirements" don't mean an older PSU won't work.  It only means they won't comply with all of the requirements that would make the PSU "ATX12V 3.0 compliant".

13 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

yay standards, oh wait no! arrggh! Also not the first time we talked about ATX12VO, last time a lot of drama about it.

Not going to help if brands don't say when the switch does happen, so that older products are not left behind or if there will be some help at the start.

It's a good thing that the ATX12VO 2.0 came out only days after ATX12V 3.0 and pretty much say "ATX12VO is the same as ATX12V 3.0 except there's no 3.3V and 5V and the standby is now +12VSB." because either way it's a new PSU, so why not just get the ATX12VO (assuming a board other than an H610 is available.. which I have yet to see.  😞)

3 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

It's a good thing that the ATX12VO 2.0 came out only days after ATX12V 3.0 and pretty much say "ATX12VO is the same as ATX12V 3.0 except there's no 3.3V and 5V and the standby is now +12VSB." because either way it's a new PSU, so why not just get the ATX12VO (assuming a board other than an H610 is available.. which I have yet to see.  😞)

comes out with ATX12V 3.3 gen 1.2, just after the first month of release.

Anyways, how do you feel this would impact PSU's and SFX ones? A good overall change?

Edited by Quackers101

4 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

comes out with ATX12V 3.3 gen 1.2, just after the first month of release.

Anyways, how do you feel this would impact PSU's and SFX ones? A good overall change?

Thing is, for most PSUs, ATX 3.0 is just adding the new connector cable.  The sleep mode and efficiency stuff is usually there (if it's a recent and decent PSU).  SFX wil have an issue with OCP due to secondary capacitance. That's my big concern.  I haven't seen ANYONE attempt to address that yet.

Last time I bought a new computer, 2,5 years ago ish, I got a higher quality PSU to reuse it for next computer, guess that won't happen as easily as I planned to then?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

7 hours ago, Caroline said:

Heh, why buy a space heater when you can buy a 600W graphics card.

You laugh, but I rarely need to use heating for my living room, because of the heat output of my 1080Ti when playing demanding games.

The frames doth bring comfort and warmth upon mine humble abode.

My main concern with this is, personally, what standard will AM5 use?

My current plan was to build a new computer based on a Ryzen 7000 CPU (provided reviews are good), but if I'm going to have to buy an "old" PSU but then be blocked from upgrading to a PCIe 5.0 GPU... hhrrmm...

7 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Nobody said they didn't work.  Just that they would need a new cable if they get a PCIe 5.0 graphics card.

How?

No, seriously, I know nothing of this, but, if the new standard is "ALL IS 12 VOLTS NOW!", how are you going to adapt that for current PSUs that aren't build to deliver that much power through their 12V lanes, and simply don't have that many 12V connectors available? 

Can you please explain how it'd work?

3 hours ago, Rauten said:

My main concern with this is, personally, what standard will AM5 use?

Depends on how soon PSU OEM's start adopting the new connectors, relative to when AM5 launches. Wasnt the rumor that it would be announced in July? Might be a situation where some use one connection, and some use another, similar to how Intel's got DDR4 and DDR5 boards for it's LGA1700

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

13 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Do they?  😄

Not everybody NEEDS ALSM.  Nobody NEEDS 60% and higher efficiency at 2% load.  That's just it.  These "requirements" don't mean an older PSU won't work.  It only means they won't comply with all of the requirements that would make the PSU "ATX12V 3.0 compliant".

Actually, having high efficency at low loads is something a lot of people need.

id rather not be paying hundreds a year from having my psu pull 300w when in sleep….

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Rauten said:

How?

No, seriously, I know nothing of this, but, if the new standard is "ALL IS 12 VOLTS NOW!", how are you going to adapt that for current PSUs that aren't build to deliver that much power through their 12V lanes, and simply don't have that many 12V connectors available? 

Can you please explain how it'd work?

We're talking about two different things here.

ATX12VO is one thing.  PCIe 5.0 is another thing.  You don't need ATX12VO for PCIe 5.0.  PCIe 5.0 is just the new power cable.

1Now... cleanse palate, because I'm going to change the subject from PCIe 5.0 to ATX12VO.....

You CAN use an ATX power supply with an ATX12VO board.  That's why this exists:  https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/ATX12VO-Adapter-Cable/p/CP-8920272

2 hours ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

Actually, having high efficency at low loads is something a lot of people need.

id rather not be paying hundreds a year from having my psu pull 300w when in sleep….

That's still not a need.  That's a nice to have.  

13 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

That's still not a need.  That's a nice to have.  

Yea, but so is money.

Having a psu that’s efficient means your not wasting money. Which is a need for people who don’t make much of it….

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

23 hours ago, Ryan829 said:

I always sucked at math lmao. Stupid < > signs lol 

Easiest way to remember the < > signs is

< looks like the letter L. L for less than

> looks like the letter L going backwards. backwards L for greater than.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Easiest way to remember the < > signs is

< looks like the letter L. L for less than

> looks like the letter L going backwards. backwards L for greater than.

Thanks lol

On 3/23/2022 at 12:17 PM, Ryan829 said:

I'll preface this with - this is out of my wheelhouse so take everything with a grain of salt.

While transitions do create supply chain risks, it should be noted that A LOT of companies have been doing single voltage PSUs for a long time.
Virtually all laptop chargers are single voltage (or were in the past, USB-C can handle a few different levels).
A lot of OEM based desktops are also single voltage units.

I'd want to fact check myself, but it's VERY probable that you could get away with using an adapter and a multi-rail PSU with a new board. I could be wrong though. I'm sure it's not "good" to leave a 5V rail completely unused.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

2 hours ago, cmndr said:

I'd want to fact check myself, but it's VERY probable that you could get away with using an adapter and a multi-rail PSU with a new board. I could be wrong though. I'm sure it's not "good" to leave a 5V rail completely unused.

You can. The adapter cables use a boost converter to adapt the +5VSB to +12VSB. The rest is just using the existing 12V from the normal ATX PSU.

See:

On 3/25/2022 at 3:47 AM, jonnyGURU said:

Shouldn't matter on modern PSUs if the 5V rail is unused. On much older PSUs that were designed for the load to be on 5V rail (think 15+ years ago) then it might be more of a problem. With an ATX to ATX12VO adapter cable though you're only converting the cable to the motherboard to ATX12VO. You can still use the peripheral power connectors from the ATX PSU for 5V & 3.3V, you don't need to use the cables that connect to the motherboard to get 5V & 3.3V for HDDs and so on. If you have HDDs or RGB fan hubs/controllers plugged in directly to the PSU then that would still put a load on 5V from the PSU anyway, not that it should really matter.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

@Ryan829Ties in nicely with the HardwareBusters article from a few weeks ago:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-atx-v3-psu-standard

Also a bit more clarification for ATX12VO and where they want to take it. I'm really wondering what motherboard and PSU are in MSI's two new PCs based on ATX12VO. FOR the PSU It looks like it's that FSP model that got announced a while back, while mobo probably MSI's own custom built ?

https://www.msi.com/Content-Creation-PC/Creator-P100A-12th/Specification

https://www.msi.com/Desktop/MPG-Trident-AS-12th/Specification