Intel introduces first new ATX Spec in nearly 20 years (ATX 3.0) with ATX12VO and 12+4-pin 12VHPWR connections- Just in time for RTX 3090ti next week

Deadpool2onBlu-Ray
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
32 minutes ago, Ryan829 said:

Summary

It has been in the works for quite awhile, but Intel is finally introducing a new ATX PSU spec. It sounds like ALL new <450w power supplies are going to have to abide by this spec or face higher component prices.

You mean > 450W and not < 450W, right?  We'll get back to this part when you can clear up what you're trying to say here.

"A new 12VHPWR connector will power most, if not all, future PCIe 5.0 desktop Add-in cards (e.g., graphics cards). This new connector provides up to 600 watts directly to any PCIe 5.0 Add-in/graphics card. It also includes sideband signals that will allow the power supply to communicate the power limit it can provide to any PCIe 5.0 graphic card"

They're not signals.  At least not the wires that the desktop cards will use.  They're just sense grounds.  Read Aris's write up on it.  It has the table on there.

350> watts

Please figure out how to use the > and < signs.  😉

As much as I look forward to getting rid of ugly 24pin ATX Cables/ 2/3x 8 pin PCIE cables, I can see this being a big issue. I can see a situation where 80% of Zen 4 (X670?) and Raptor Lake (Z790?) motherboards use the old spec with the 24 pin power connector, and the other 20% adopt the new standard. This is going to cause a really awkward transition phase where it is hard to recommend the route for builders to take.

Why?  When you're building, you take into account the chassis (ATX?  SFX?), the motherboard (ATX12V?  ATX12VO?) and the GPU (6-pin?  Two 6-pin?  6 & 8-pin?  Three 8-pin?  12+4-pin)  So this is no different.

What it WILL mean in many situations is you won't be able to shove your 10 year old PSU into your 4090 build.  But hey.....  You just spend $3K on a GPU!  What's another couple hundo?

I can see there being a shortage of these new power supplies for sure.

For sure?  How do you come to this conclusion?

Summary

The 4090? is going to pull at a minimum >350 watts, so A LOT of people are going to be looking at new PSU's anyways, why not get the new spec?

Actually, 600W.  Where did you get 350W from?  LOL!  And yes..... Why not get the new spec?

There is also a rumor that some of the AIB 3090tis are going to use the new 12+4 pin connector, while some will use 3x8 pin. What a mess. 

That would be a mess.  But remember:  The 12+4-pin is part of the PCIe 5.0 spec.  PCI-SIG has the "old" 6 and 8-pin connectors anywhere in the 5.0 spec.  So if they put something other than a 12+4 pin on the card, they're breaking spec and my guess is PCI-SIG won't let them say the card is PCIe 5.0.

2 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

Thank you for the information.  Glad to see the Seasonic micro-fit cable will still work on a 3090 Ti.

Seasonic replied in email saying they are developing ATX 3.0 spec PSU's and they will be announced at a later time.

I guess shunt mods will be a thing of the past on a 4090 card, huh 😞

Why?  Just ground the sense pins and VRM on the card is still going to need shunt resistors for current sensing.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 11:55 AM, jonnyGURU said:

You can use that for 3090 Ti.  But since it lacks the two sense pins, it will throttle a 40 series card to 150W.

Hey @jonnyGURU I'd appreciate your advice on this.

I have just purchased all the components for an 'overkill' build. The only thing I haven't purchased yet is the PSU.
My first choice was the AX1600i as it seems to be the current best; plus I have a HX-1050 V2 and an AX1500i in previous builds and they have been great.

There will not be any issues powering the current build, but I do plan on switching to a 4090 once they are out.

I saw all these headlines about the new standard so I started looking for something new and I first came across the ROG-THOR-1600T-GAMING which advertises having a 600W cable, and seems to be similar to the AX1600i but quieter according to Cybernetics Labs. It doesn't actually have a 16 pin port on the PSU, does this just mean it's a 4x 8 pin to 16 pin adapter? Would I be able to do the same thing with an AX1600i?

I assume this because the 3090 Ti was shipping with a 3x 8 pin to 16 pin and this is apparently 450W (3x 150W).

Would it be foolish to buy the AX1600i right now rather then waiting for a new ATX 3.0 compliant PSU?

I don't really want to wait more then a month and I can't find any info on when these new PSU's will be up for sale.

2 minutes ago, DsKDestro said:

Hey @jonnyGURU I'd appreciate your advice on this.

I have just purchased all the components for an 'overkill' build. The only thing I haven't purchased yet is the PSU.
My first choice was the AX1600i as it seems to be the current best; plus I have a HX-1050 V2 and an AX1500i in previous builds and they have been great.

There will not be any issues powering the current build, but I do plan on switching to a 4090 once they are out.

I saw all these headlines about the new standard so I started looking for something new and I first came across the ROG-THOR-1600T-GAMING which advertises having a 600W cable, and seems to be similar to the AX1600i but quieter according to Cybernetics Labs. It doesn't actually have a 16 pin port on the PSU, does this just mean it's a 4x 8 pin to 16 pin adapter? Would I be able to do the same thing with an AX1600i?

I assume this because the 3090 Ti was shipping with a 3x 8 pin to 16 pin and this is apparently 450W (3x 150W).

Would it be foolish to buy the AX1600i right now rather then waiting for a new ATX 3.0 compliant PSU?

I don't really want to wait more then a month and I can't find any info on when these new PSU's will be up for sale.

You don't need the 12+4 on the PSU.  If the PSU is fully modular, you just plug in on the PSU side the same way you would any other +12V cable (PCIe, EPS12V, etc.).

5 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

You don't need the 12+4 on the PSU.  If the PSU is fully modular, you just plug in on the PSU side the same way you would any other +12V cable (PCIe, EPS12V, etc.).

Ah ok, so theoretically no issues powering these 600W GPU's with an AX1600i, would just need an appropriate cable?

Just now, DsKDestro said:

Ah ok, so theoretically no issues powering these 600W GPU's with an AX1600i, would just need an appropriate cable?

Correct.

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

Correct.

Many thanks!