I better not screw this up - Intel $5,000 Extreme Tech Upgrade

CPotter
13 minutes ago, emosun said:

That thumbnail makes it look like linus is going to end up with concrete shoes if he messes something up

*Concrete sandals

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Triple monitor setup.. godamn.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

3 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Triple monitor setup.. godamn.

once you go triple... you dont go back...

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

nice pwc, i wonder why he choose to come to LTT? better work life balance?

"The tag always goes in the bottom right corner."

- LinusHousekeepingTips

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Speaking of reading, His Dark Materials is one of my favorite series. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, dogwitch said:

Used to have 3 dfiferent monitors, ended up selling my philips 27'' monitor to a friends friend lol.

Still got the same 2 monitors now and no third monitor.

Gotta find out how to hang the pc below my desktop table and perhaps one day i can get a third monitor..

or upgrade to ultrawide one day.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

3 hours ago, dogwitch said:

I've heard of people who by using virtual desktops/workspaces have decreased the number of monitors they use

From a glance at the thumbnail, I was wondering if that was Nick or something. But if the the Nick we know of is Nick Light, Clarence would be Nick Superduty.

What book series was he talking about at 10:18?

Atlanta stories?

Ok people... STOP READING BOOKS BEFORE BED! It's actually bad for you (in a way), your brain associates reading with sleep, this means if you read at any other time (like say you take the bus/train or even driving to a new place needing to read the signs - tho this is not very likely, unless you are exhausted at which time maybe you shouldn't be driving anyways) you might feel tired after doing so, compromising your ability to function to the best of your abilities! Reading before bed is while a good thing to tell your body it's bed time, so is going in for a shower brushing teeth and doing an actual nightly routine, reading a book before work will stimulate your brain far more than reading at night, trust me if you are that kind of person who likes reading don't read before bed... If you don't do any sort of reading outside of night time, by all means it's a great easy cheap way (actual books not estuff), but seriously try reading in the morning and find better habits for night time... Making your brain active while you sleep isn't needed lol... I used to read books before going to bed then stopped, I now enjoy the books more than reading before going to sleep. I get it for kids, but it's a habit that doesn't need to exist, kids should enjoy the books not associate them with sleep.

1 hour ago, Parm said:

What book series was he talking about at 10:18?

Atlanta stories?

https://gmlupo.com/books-by-g-m-lupo/ I think these, but not 100% sure.

5 hours ago, GodAtum said:

nice pwc, i wonder why he choose to come to LTT? better work life balance?

Knowing a few accountants, firms are great but they don't always pay the best. He likely join LMG for the steady work equal or better pay and maybe better benefits or closer to home. Working for a firm can also lead to significant overtime (or very large companies for that mater) esp at years and months/quarter ends, this leaves minimal time for his other clients, so by working for one place even if a little less, keeping his side clients could mean more money in the end with less stress etc.

4 hours ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Used to have 3 dfiferent monitors, ended up selling my philips 27'' monitor to a friends friend lol.

Still got the same 2 monitors now and no third monitor.

Gotta find out how to hang the pc below my desktop table and perhaps one day i can get a third monitor..

or upgrade to ultrawide one day.

Personally I've gone triple, and I can agree I won't go back, but equally I don't understand the hate Linus has towards the 24" esp for a triple setup... If you want dual go bigger if you want single go insane, but want triple? Don't go higher than 27 imo esp if you're not going high pixel count, when I set mine up I became even more confused as to why Linus would mock a 24" triple for home use. I'll take detail over size any day as a gamer.

I'm guessing you owned 2 same sized monitors and the "oddball" 27"

19 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Ok people... STOP READING BOOKS BEFORE BED! It's actually bad for you (in a way), your brain associates reading with sleep, this means if you read at any other time (like say you take the bus/train or even driving to a new place needing to read the signs - tho this is not very likely, unless you are exhausted at which time maybe you shouldn't be driving anyways) you might feel tired after doing so, compromising your ability to function to the best of your abilities! Reading before bed is while a good thing to tell your body it's bed time, so is going in for a shower brushing teeth and doing an actual nightly routine, reading a book before work will stimulate your brain far more than reading at night, trust me if you are that kind of person who likes reading don't read before bed... If you don't do any sort of reading outside of night time, by all means it's a great easy cheap way (actual books not estuff), but seriously try reading in the morning and find better habits for night time... Making your brain active while you sleep isn't needed lol... I used to read books before going to bed then stopped, I now enjoy the books more than reading before going to sleep. I get it for kids, but it's a habit that doesn't need to exist, kids should enjoy the books not associate them with sleep...

Did you really just type up that whole paragraph emphatically telling people to stop reading before bed and the best concrete reasoning you could come up with is that it "might" make people feel tired afterward? What even was the point of all this? Just let the guys enjoy their reading time with their kids.

I like how the Intel part was the quickest bit of this extreme tech upgrade. Just pop in a new laptop, replace monitors (wiring instructions sold separately), and you're good to go! 🙂 Am I the only one amazed that Linus didn't break anything in this video, btw? No one's bed, no one's parts, nothing. He had that look at that speaker setup though, like "Oh crap, what'd I break now?" though. 😄

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

On 2/22/2022 at 4:33 PM, Ultraforce said:

I've heard of people who by using virtual desktops/workspaces have decreased the number of monitors they use

With accounting its extremely helpful to be able to view all the documents you require simultaneously instead of flipping back and forth - saves time especially with data entry, alleviates frustration, allows you to figure out problems faster. Running VMs won't really help with that.

Clarence was top notch. More Clarence pls.

29 minutes ago, AdmiralKird said:

With accounting its extremely helpful to be able to view all the documents you require simultaneously instead of flipping back and forth - saves time especially with data entry, alleviates frustration, allows you to figure out problems faster. Running VMs won't really help with that.

Pretty sure Virtual desktops aren't VMs since the whole thing is swapping quickly between programs as though the desktop itself was a tab in your browser.

On 2/22/2022 at 9:07 PM, Egg-Roll said:

Ok people... STOP READING BOOKS BEFORE BED! It's actually bad for you (in a way)

It's not. It helps me relax and slow my mind. I can read otherwise just fine.

6 hours ago, Jaesop said:

It's not. It helps me relax and slow my mind. I can read otherwise just fine.

People say watching TV right before bed is bad, but I usually have Netflix or Disney+ running on my tablet when I'm in bed. It's sometimes hard to go to sleep without it. Books though? Used to, but not anymore.

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

8 hours ago, Ultraforce said:

Pretty sure Virtual desktops aren't VMs since the whole thing is swapping quickly between programs as though the desktop itself was a tab in your browser.

The point is to have multiple screens' worth of information laid out before you, so you don't have to Alt+Tab between different windows (or virtual desktops) that all compete over the same pixels.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.