I better not screw this up - Intel $5,000 Extreme Tech Upgrade

CPotter
5 hours ago, Jaesop said:

It's not. It helps me relax and slow my mind. I can read otherwise just fine.

Just because you think it's not doesn't mean it's not. Someone who smokes may think it's not bad for their health does that mean it's not? There are far better options out there. Plus you are only a single person out of nearly 8 billion, and if you read books more often then most people reading before going to bed for you is doing is exactly what you stated not to get yourself into a state of sleep but into a state of relaxation which reading books have been known to do regardless of time of day, fyi you are not slowing your mind, your brain still has to process what you are reading else they become meaningless words and that's when you forget what you just read almost instantly; and why studying before bed for many is a very bad idea.

On 2/24/2022 at 12:44 AM, Jaesop said:

It's not. It helps me relax and slow my mind. I can read otherwise just fine.

On 2/22/2022 at 10:49 PM, Ragnorok64 said:

Did you really just type up that whole paragraph emphatically telling people to stop reading before bed and the best concrete reasoning you could come up with is that it "might" make people feel tired afterward? What even was the point of all this? Just let the guys enjoy their reading time with their kids.

I was going to waste my life in proving both of you wrong, but then I realized my time is worth more than arguing with you, so I tell you what, you prove me wrong. Prove to me that reading is actually good for you before bed. Key words are BEFORE and BED, we all know the advantages of reading, however good luck on finding a non-sponsored paper talking about reading before bed.

Here's a good example of taking research papers out of context and what makes you think reading before bed is a good idea, which sums up 99% of the internet really...

https://web.archive.org/web/20220123060454/https://www.dreams.co.uk/sleep-matters-club/what-does-reading-before-bed-do-to-an-adults-brain/ (their sites currently down)

However if you spend a few minutes and actually research some of the claims all they have done is added "before bed" or alike when the research never stated it specifically possibly never even mentioning it once (like the Ken Hugh brainpower section).

So you believe your carrot munching improves your eyes claims for books and sleep, and I'll live in reality ok? Yes I know carrots have said benefits but not to the extent that was enforced on us, same with books and reading before bed. Like I said it's not bad as in it'll kill you but it's equally something that should be a choice not forced upon.

Equally look for 39% in the mentioned page, that is the number who read books before bed claiming they sleep very well, have no way to prove this as the PDF is dead, but lets put that into context shale we? That means 61% who read before bed it either makes no (or worst) difference to just below whatever is the definition of "very well" is, aka as in most people DO NOT really benefit from reading before bed, but instead if that's the only time they read books are in fact killing a very useful habit for mental health and wellbeing!

Simply put prove me wrong that reading books are not good for you for sleep, not make you stupid or kill you bad but not a very good choice compared to other solutions. Reading before bed was/is also a trick for parents to get their kids to read.

On 2/24/2022 at 7:37 AM, GeorgeMKane said:

People say watching TV right before bed is bad, but I usually have Netflix or Disney+ running on my tablet when I'm in bed. It's sometimes hard to go to sleep without it. Books though? Used to, but not anymore.

This is me right now sitting in front of my computer or phone till I need to go to bed, I'm also surrounded by LED lights lol... Eye strain can be bad at times but next to that I don't have a hard time sleeping. Tbh afaik only reason why watching TV is bad for you is because you are basically doing nothing for the content and likely munching on something other than carrots. Same reason why technically speaking playing games is also unhealthy/bad for you if not under self discipline.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2022 at 8:11 PM, Egg-Roll said:

Just because you think it's not doesn't mean it's not.

lmao this is very silly

On 3/1/2022 at 8:11 PM, Egg-Roll said:

so I tell you what, you prove me wrong

That's not how that works

On 3/15/2022 at 7:01 PM, Jaesop said:

That's not how that works

100% how this works, if the claims are even remotely true about how reading before sleeping is actually good for you then proving me wrong should be incredibly easy. However I'm going to go out on a limb here and say those claims are no where to be found with reliable and accountable sources to back said claims up without twisting their words to meet said objectives, why else would you even reply back with "that's not how that works" instead of a well informed post with links to said references?

Good luck, because reading books before bed is as useful as studying before bed for the next days exam. Works for a few but not all, prove me wrong, scientifically.

On 3/20/2022 at 11:18 AM, Egg-Roll said:

100% how this works, if the claims are even remotely true about how reading before sleeping is actually good for you then proving me wrong should be incredibly easy

It's not my job to disprove your assertion lol

However I'm going to go out on a limb here

You're going out on a limb on a point you've insisted is accurate?

hy else would you even reply back with "that's not how that works" instead of a well informed post with links to said references?

Because, again, it's not my job to prove your assertion. That's not how it works.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 6:50 PM, Jaesop said:

It's not my job to disprove your assertion lol

Because, again, it's not my job to prove your assertion. That's not how it works.

Nor is it my job to prove yours, however I know yours is full of misleading claims that hold no evidence of proof, while I may not have proof to disprove yours at hand because the internet is full of misinformation on this topic, I however know for a fact you'll never find proper proof so therefore no one who every claims such as you do will ever attempt to prove me wrong because they know they can't. So yes that's how it works, you prove me wrong by proving all those supposed "sources" are genuinely true lol... The internet is in your favor on this after all so why wouldn't you try? Maybe because it's not and everything you know is misinformation aka a lie?

On 4/9/2022 at 4:04 PM, Egg-Roll said:

Nor is it my job to prove yours

No, it's your job to prove yours which you've indicated you're incapable of doing.

while I may not have proof to disprove yours at hand because the internet is full of misinformation on this topic, I however know for a fact you'll never find proper proof so therefore no one who every claims such as you do will ever attempt to prove me wrong because they know they can't

I could literally repeat this same thing back to you with the same validity.

So yes that's how it works, you prove me wrong by proving all those supposed "sources" are genuinely true lol...

Again, no - you made the claim, thus it's on you to substantiate it.