Because of course this happened - EVGA Reports That a Shipment of its GPUs Has Been Stolen

CT854

Summary

In a stunning twist of fate in the certifiably worst timeline, EVGA has reported through its forums that a shipment of its graphics cards was stolen off a truck en route to their Southern California distribution center. EVGA has indicated that they are aware of the serial numbers of the cards and intends to void their warranties.

Quotes

On Tuesday, EVGA posted about the theft in the company’s online forums. “PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that on October 29, 2021, a shipment of EVGA GeForce RTX 30-Series Graphics Cards was stolen from a truck en route from San Francisco to our Southern California distribution center,” the vendor wrote. 

We’ve reached out to EVGA for more details. But based on the pricing, the vendor lost numerous graphics card models ranging from the Nvidia RTX 3060 to the RTX 3090. 

Nevertheless, the thief will almost certainly try to resell the stolen graphics cards at a time when demand for GPUs remain sky high. For the past year now, scalpers on eBay have been reselling Nvidia RTX 3000 products often for double the normal pricing. 

If a consumer does purchase one of these stolen cards, prepare to face some bad news. EVGA is indicating it knows the serial numbers of every GPU stolen, and plans on cutting off the warranty services for them.

However, consumers are reacting to the theft by calling on EVGA to publish the serial numbers for the stolen graphics cards. “That way you will protect innocent people from being sold stolen property,” one user wrote in response.

My thoughts

In a shockingly unshocking turn of events, these cards are going to hit the secondary market with gimped warranties. As if we needed more reasons to not buy from the secondary market. I do wonder what went wrong this time in particular that led to this happening...

Sources

PCMag

IGN

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

“These graphics cards are in high demand and each has an estimated retail value starting at $329.99 up to $1959.99,” the company added. 

So it was a shipment of GT 1030's and GTX 1660ti's then?

/s

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

GTX 1050 2GBs 😄

DDR4 edition. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Wondering if it's fair for EVGA to just void the warranty like that

I don't think the end user is at fault (unless of course they're the one that stole it)

But if this will make users ask for serial number for checking before purchasing, then it may help them track the thief

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

18 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Warranty is usually offered only to properly sold cards. Product stolen before initial sale would fall outside that, and it serves to possibly devalue the cards to the thief. Regular scalpers might supply proof of original purchase.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

16 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I don't think the end user is at fault (unless of course they're the one that stole it)

But if this will make users ask for serial number for checking before purchasing, then it may help them track the thief

I think so. If you are buying cards (or anything for that matter) from a scalper you are part of the problem. Not to mention many products don't have a warranty if you don't buy them through an authorized retailer anyways. 

Hopefully they offer some sort of tool to quickly check serial numbers now.

16 minutes ago, porina said:

Warranty is usually offered only to properly sold cards. Product stolen before initial sale would fall outside that, and it serves to possibly devalue the cards to the thief. Regular scalpers might supply proof of original purchase.

Some manufacturer also refuse invoices from places like ebay and other "unauthorized resellers" when it comes to warranty. I'm guessing because they can't prove they weren't stolen or something.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

51 minutes ago, Arika S said:

inb4 the conspiracy nuts show up and say that EVGA (or NVidia) "stole" their own cards to keep availability down and prices up

Nah, it was obviously 3 black Hondas with green under glow that boosted a truck. Main suspect is probably Dominic Torreto and his team.

1 hour ago, James Evens said:

TL;DR Way to complicated to check before buying.

33 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

I think so. If you are buying cards (or anything for that matter) from a scalper you are part of the problem. Not to mention many products don't have a warranty if you don't buy them through an authorized retailer anyways. 

Hopefully they offer some sort of tool to quickly check serial numbers now.

https://www.evga.com/warranty/check.asp ?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

14 minutes ago, InstantNewt said:

Nah, it was obviously 3 black Hondas with green under glow that boosted a truck. Main suspect is probably Dominic Torreto and his team.

Damn, he just beat me to it!

1 minute ago, James Evens said:

@Kilrah Not the first search result. Not even on the first screen page.

Not saying it's easy to find, just that it's there and was posted on their forum. 

https://forums.evga.com/Notice-of-Stolen-EVGA-GeForce-RTX-30Series-Graphics-Cards-m3490851.aspx

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, James Evens said:

@Kilrah Not the first search result. Not even on the first screen page.

To be fair, that's not necessarily EVGA's fault (no idea how you do SEO for bing, it's kind of an engima)

image.png.ac2f252de73f7eee20e1aacd2c139dbb.png

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Oh I missed it being Bing... yeah I guess you can make a case for anything being hard to find if that's what you use 😄

F@H

GPD Win 2

When Nvidia is so good, only their cards get stolen. 😄

Vans UltraRange EXO SE

"Stolen"

Was is really stolen via an act of aggression? Or was it simply misplaced or the truck driver picked the wrong load? With the shipping import/export being a complete unmitigated fiasco, I wouldn't be surprised if it's sitting in a container on the side of the road quite literally "ditched".

Having worked in an electronics store warehouse in a previous life, it’s interesting to see this actually happen. Trucks were always secured with a single use, numbered lock that you had to use bolt cutters to remove. The driver would hand you the shipping manifest, you confirm the lock number, then cut it off. If the lock wasn’t present or had a different number we were to refuse the entire shipment. 

EVGA and their distribution system might be doing it slightly different though. We used to get video cards drop shipped occasionally through FedEx or UPS which I guess would be the more likely spot for this to happen. Someone could have grabbed a box off a delivery truck, or the carrier could have lost it in transit. 

Either way, I choose to believe Dom has been carrying on for 20 years and has upgraded from stealing VCRs to RTX cards.  

4 hours ago, StDragon said:

I dunno. If they're anything like in the link below, those are one-time connections that have to be cut free.

https://www.labelmaster.com/shop/seals/bolt-seals

Similar to those, yes. Basically a steel pin coated in plastic with a cap that can’t be pulled off and matching numbers on both the pin and the cap. Only way through is to destroy the seal.

3 hours ago, James Evens said:

Not sure if it was blackhat, CCC or anther conference. They manage to beat a lot of and tamper evident and proof (huge difference between those words) locks/seals including those used by law enforcement to "secure" evidence.

They’re made with a quarter inch steel pin that must be cut to open. They weren’t there to prevent people from getting in since they are easily cut with bolt cutters, they’re just there to show if someone had entered the trailer. 

Maybe now they will learn from ASUS colab with Noctua and start making 4.5slot cards. 

Less of them will fit in the truck so they will have to send more trucks... what's the chance that all of them will get stolen from all trucks? 

8 hours ago, Arika S said:

inb4 the conspiracy nuts show up and say that EVGA (or NVidia) "stole" their own cards to keep availability down and prices up

Welp, looks like MLID lives 'nother day