Why didn’t AMD announce this new GPU?

AMD made the curious decision to very quietly launch a graphics card today – The Radeon RX 6600. Why would they not announce it? Does AMD have any confidence in it whatsoever?

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

Basically a 1660ti to rtx 2060 card for the price of

A 2060

Huh that's some bad value right there.

It's been 3 years and due to the shortages the best one can do is buy the same performance again for the same money as they did nearly 3 years ago. That sucks.

What gives for the performance uplift over the 5600 XT if the core count and bandwidth are down? Other than generational improvements, the only big difference I can see is that L3 cache is 32 MB instead of just 3 MB. But is that really the big difference that makes up the 6600's lower amount of shaders, cores, and memory bandwidth?

Like is the 6600's core clock way way higher than the 5600 XT's? Anthony didn't bring up the 5600 XT in the frequency graphs.

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

Any new card is bad press.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Because they're hoping for unwitting buyers who only see "new AMD" graphics card?

(but also not too many buyers please because then we have to actually produce some more *gasp*)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

From a comment posted on the Gamers Nexus video:

5 years later, i can buy a GPU at the same price i bought the current one, and it's just as fast. What a time to be alive.

An exaggeration for comedic effect maybe but not a huge one.

Cards like the 2060 were, at the time they came out, poor value. But now they look like a decent long-term investment because it's impossible to buy anything better without spending 2x as much, basically. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

I wonder if the lower CU is them using chips that had a defect in part of it enough to disable a few CU's but was otherwise fine. Right now the fewer chips from that larger wafer that go to waste the better.

1 hour ago, DJRWolf said:

I wonder if the lower CU is them using chips that had a defect in part of it enough to disable a few CU's but was otherwise fine. Right now the fewer chips from that larger wafer that go to waste the better.

i thinking that what it is.

seeing a flood of ps5 chips of recent for desktop usage.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

The status of the current GPU market is a joke, I am more interested by the hoodie Anthony is wearing then this GPU and that speaks volumes of how bad the GPU market is. Anthony where did you buy that hoodie? I thought it was a LTT store merch but can not find it there.

15 hours ago, DJRWolf said:

thats exactly what's happening, their lower binned 6600 xt's with the same chip. at some point in the near future the 6600 will stop being produced since their actively trying to make the production better, just like with the 3070 and 3060 ti, theres less and less of the 3060 ti and more of the 3070 since production rate is better after research and trial and error and yes they are the same chip.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

1 hour ago, Joakim Agren said:

I am more interested by the hoodie Anthony is wearing then this GPU and that speaks volumes of how bad the GPU market is. Anthony where did you buy that hoodie? I thought it was a LTT store merch but can not find it there.

WAN show hoodie, should be available soon.

Only if we can get them at MSRP they're interesting. For now it's better to spend $500'ish on RX 6600 XT, even though it's still $100-$150 too expensive.

Looks like benchmarks put it pretty close in performance to my 5 year old 1070...

Bigger waste than a 3060 or a ti... ouch.

Edit: if you have a weaker graphics card and you want a better one.. This is a good 1080p card for you.

Getting it for a friend now 🙂

Edited by MultiGamerClub

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD