Apple must allow other forms of in-app purchases, rules judge in Epic v. Apple

sounds

Summary

The judge issued a permanent injunction. Epic wins.

Quotes

Judge Yvonne Gonzalez-Rogers issued a permanent injunction in the Epic v. Apple case on Friday morning, handing a major setback to Apple’s App Store model.

Under the new order, Apple is:

permanently restrained and enjoined from prohibiting developers from including in their apps and their metadata buttons, external links, or other calls to action that direct customers to purchasing mechanisms, in addition to In-App Purchasing and (ii) communicating with customers through points of contact obtained voluntarily from customers through account registration within the app.

My thoughts

I wonder if Apple will appeal the case... ? Yes, Apple will appeal.

@HelpfulTechWizard wants to have the tweets down-thread mentioned here, so yeah. Epic didn't get everything they wanted.

Sources

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/10/22662320/epic-apple-ruling-injunction-judge-court-app-store

Full ruling from the judge: https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/21060631/apple-epic-judgement.pdf

Finally, we can get back to writing our foot notes on fruit

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I have no doubts that this'll probably end on the table of the Supreme court

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Thoughts...

While I see this as a big win for smaller and larger devs for the consumer it can add a layer of complication for say you want to buy somthing in an app with apple card money but they only accept a dif payment method. I understand why this is a good thing I just hope it doesn't turn into a mess. On the other hand I rlly think it will be nice to subscribe to spotify through your phone lol.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

1 minute ago, SignatureSigner said:

Thoughts...

While I see this as a big win for smaller and larger devs for the consumer it can add a layer of complication for say you want to buy somthing in an app with apple card money but they only accept a dif payment method. I understand why this is a good thing I just hope it doesn't turn into a mess. On the other hand I rlly think it will be nice to subscribe to spotify through your phone lol.

you can still pay with an Apple Card, you just don’t have to pay the apple tax, it’s just a normal credit or debit card (I don’t know which it is)

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

This is about as SCOTUS-worthy of a case as you can get in the tech sphere. There is some juicy precedent that could be set which is exciting for those interested in corporate jurisprudence, though I'm not terribly optimistic about how things will go down. My lack of optimism could be unfounded since I don't think I've really seen any rulings of a similar nature come out of the current court, but we'll see.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

This is only half the story btw... Epic is still banned from the Apple Store AND they must pay Apple back 30%, or about $3.6 million from the money they made before this ruling happened.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

4 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

This is only half the story btw... Epic is still banned from the Apple Store AND they must play Apple back 30%, or about $3.6 million from the money they made before this ruling happened.

Op can you add this to the op?

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Tbh I sorta find this verdict somewhat stupid. If the app is hosted on their app store then they should get a cut of the sales if that is how they are making revenue off of the app store and how they maintain the app store. Really I could only see an argument of making them allow a competing app store on IOS but I guess that likely won't happen. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Tbh I sorta find this verdict somewhat stupid. If the app is hosted on their app store then they should get a cut of the sales if that is how they are making revenue off of the app store and how they maintain the app store. Really I could only see an argument of making them allow a competing app store on IOS but I guess that likely won't happen. 

Id guess they’d make revenue off of 1% of the App Store purchases,

but apple made this their own problem.

They refuse to let you sidelode apps, they refuse 3rd party app stores, you have to do what they say.

nit they can’t say you have to use our payment software

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, sounds said:

-snip-

Which is funny because Apple thinks they "won", since Epic has to pay them the "Apple Tax" they ducked out on.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

51 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Op can you add this to the op?

I added a brief mention, but since you only referenced a tweet (something I don't consider a good source), I just said "@HelpfulTechWizard wants to have the tweets down-thread mentioned here, so yeah. Epic didn't get everything they wanted."

1 hour ago, Skiiwee29 said:

This is only half the story btw... Epic is still banned from the Apple Store AND they must pay Apple back 30%, or about $3.6 million from the money they made before this ruling happened.

I'm sure that stings for epic but they really went to batt for the consumer in this instance and they beat a giant in the industry that has been known for years to lock down their platform

1 minute ago, SlidewaysZ said:

I'm sure that stings for epic but they really went to batt for the consumer in this instance and they beat a giant in the industry that has been known for years to lock down their platform

Honestly, long term it could hurt as mobile is a huge cash cow. Reading the quoted section of the legal injunction, it does seem there is always room for Apple and Epic to mend fences, assuming they can agree to something thats mutually.. and financially beneficial to both parties. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Honestly, long term it could hurt as mobile is a huge cash cow. Reading the quoted section of the legal injunction, it does seem there is always room for Apple and Epic to mend fences, assuming they can agree to something thats mutually.. and financially beneficial to both parties. 

Sure they lost out on the Apple ecosystem however they still have Android. Also this can be standings for future court cases that could force Apple's hand and allow side loading which would essentially allow epic back on Apple without needing to bargin for a spot in the app store. 

Just now, SlidewaysZ said:

Sure they lost out on the Apple ecosystem however they still have Android. Also this can be standings for future court cases that could force Apple's hand and allow side loading which would essentially allow epic back on Apple without needing to bargin for a spot in the app store. 

Possible, but that would likely be several years from now before something like that would happen due to how slow the legal system moves with litigations like this. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

If the app is hosted on their app store then they should get a cut of the sales

I'd agree with this statement if it weren't for the fact that there's no other way to install apps on an iPhone. Apple could basically ask for whatever cut of the sales they want and the only other choice developers would have is to not make their app available on iPhones at all.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

2 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

More than likely yeah it will but remember, that's a double edged sword and Apple will need to think carefully. If they take it to SCOTUS and lose it sets a precedence that will stand and be pretty much unchallengeable forever plus they might end up leaving with further sanctions and/or a pretty hefty fine for their troubles too.

A SCOTUS ruling is about as absolute as you can get and that goes for either outcome.

Honestly, if we don't hear about appeals then its an admission by proxy that Apple knew full well they are in the wrong.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

In my opinion this doesn’t solve the main problem: the only way to get Apps on the iPhone is via the App Store.

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Damn, Apple really was after the whales.

According to the ruling, gaming apps account for approximately 70% of all App Store revenues. That 70% is generated by less than 10% of all App Store users, the court said. By contrast, more than 80% of all accounts generate virtually no revenue, as 80% of all apps on the App Store are free, according to the document.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/10/apple-vs-epic-70percent-of-app-store-revenue-from-customers-playing-games.html

So what is it? It's not really clear to me as there are many other sites saying different things. Did Apple win or lose?

Apple can simply fuck off with their 30% bullshit. Not sure if this saying applies to other countries too but here in the Netherlands it's "getting rich while sleeping".

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

4 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

So what is it? It's not really clear to me as there are many other sites saying different things. Did Apple win or lose?

Apple can simply fuck off with their 30% bullshit. Not sure if this saying applies to other countries too but here in the Netherlands it's "getting rich while sleeping".

The way I understood it is that Apple lost, but Epic didn't necessarily win either.