YouTube tests a cheaper Premium Lite subscription tier

adarw
Just now, adarw said:

oh ok thanks!

Depends on tv. Some YouTube tv apps stopped working. Firestick 4k is a worthwhile,investment 

• CPU 12900k   Motherboard Asus z690 prime RAM 32gb gskill 3200 trident z GPU Msi suprim RTX3080 wekwb block Case 011 dynamic PSU Evga gq  850w 1tb NVME m.2 boot drive

4 minutes ago, FrodoX570 said:

XBOX and the Roku need my TV, and I need all 3.

?? i don't quite understand what you're saying in response to my comment.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

?? i don't quite understand what you're saying in response to my comment.

Me neither.

43rfe.jpg.0cdd228bb7d9b199d969dd5c2faef8a3.jpg

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

mobile:

• no ads: Youtube Vanced
  • background Listening: Youtube Vanced
  • downloads: youtube downloading websites

Or:

Premium on mobile:

• no ads (included)
  • background listening (included)
  • downloads (included in the regular YouTube app)

Sometimes people will pay for convenience, and this is one of those times I will. I don't want to download my YouTube videos separately and watch them in a separate app. I want to be able to click a button, choose the resolution, and watch it with the same user interface as everything else. Best of all? I don't have to depend on some other app. Sure, the YouTube app itself isn't perfect, but it's far from terrible, and paying the same amount that I'd pay for a couple cups of coffee isn't a bad deal. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

2 hours ago, Srius1 said:

People in this thread crack me up. YouTube premium is $18/5 accounts. That’s about $4/person/month. That’s literally 1 coffee A MONTH. For hassle free YouTube . No ads on tvs, tablets, phones. Downloads. Background (perfect for music or podcast type). YouTube music (which is kinda shit app but works okay enough). Ability to play any song using google home speakers, again no ads (show me the ad blocker that works for google home speakers). It’s truly an INSANE value of what you get. 

and instead dummies here trying to save literally pennies with pirated apps. Lol. Do you also goto McDonald and take all their ketchups too?

People are going to think free no ad YT is their right somehow

I pay $7 for family plan but I'm in less developed country, that's why it's cheap. Absolutely worth it.

1 hour ago, BondiBlue said:

Or:

Premium on mobile:

• no ads (included)
  • background listening (included)
  • downloads (included in the regular YouTube app)

Sometimes people will pay for convenience, and this is one of those times I will. I don't want to download my YouTube videos separately and watch them in a separate app. I want to be able to click a button, choose the resolution, and watch it with the same user interface as everything else. Best of all? I don't have to depend on some other app. Sure, the YouTube app itself isn't perfect, but it's far from terrible, and paying the same amount that I'd pay for a couple cups of coffee isn't a bad deal. 

Exactly. People are clueless and go through hours of work a month updating thier ad blockers or doing all these crazy work arounds lol, all to save a whole $4 !! Lol. Stupid.

• CPU 12900k   Motherboard Asus z690 prime RAM 32gb gskill 3200 trident z GPU Msi suprim RTX3080 wekwb block Case 011 dynamic PSU Evga gq  850w 1tb NVME m.2 boot drive

11 minutes ago, Srius1 said:

People are clueless and go through hours of work a month updating thier ad blockers

What kind of shitty ad blockers are you using? It likes like 5 seconds to download ublock and thats it, literally never had to maintain or update it.

even my piHole was set up once and never touched again.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 hours ago, Srius1 said:

People in this thread crack me up. YouTube premium is $18/5 accounts. That’s about $4/person/month. That’s literally 1 coffee A MONTH. For hassle free YouTube . No ads on tvs, tablets, phones. Downloads. Background (perfect for music or podcast type). YouTube music (which is kinda shit app but works okay enough). Ability to play any song using google home speakers, again no ads (show me the ad blocker that works for google home speakers). It’s truly an INSANE value of what you get. 

and instead dummies here trying to save literally pennies with pirated apps. Lol. Do you also goto McDonald and take all their ketchups too?

And its still paying for a subscription, not everyone wants to pay for a subscription to Youtube, and lots of channels have ads integrated into the video anyway. I think its bad enough that so many media companies are going to subscription models, paying for youtube is another thing to pay for, while I could just either deal with ads or block ads for free.

48 minutes ago, Srius1 said:

Exactly. People are clueless and go through hours of work a month updating thier ad blockers or doing all these crazy work arounds lol, all to save a whole $4 !! Lol. Stupid.

What ad blocker do you use? Adblock plus or ublock doesn't require manual updates.

No thank you Alphabet, I'm more than happy with using my Vanced Subscription.

kthxbye

4 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Don't use vanced. A few months ago there were ban waves of vanced users. Also some of the sites that were hosting vanced were modified. If you don't care about your google account, only then use vanced.

[ Citation Needed ]

You would think their Discord would be full of people talking about if that was the case, even searching for "ban" or "banned" in all channels nets nothing, been using it for almost 3 years and never heard of anyone getting banned from using it, ever.

4 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Don't use vanced. A few months ago there were ban waves of vanced users. Also some of the sites that were hosting vanced were modified. If you don't care about your google account, only then use vanced.

There is and always has been one site that hosts vanced. The rest are always fake.

Why yes I do. What are you gonna do, call the cops?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

7 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

I don't see how downloads and background playback isn't worth the small difference in price. I doubt this will succeed, but I could be wrong. 

That's the whole point. Make the higher offer look like it's better value compared to lower one.

5 hours ago, Srius1 said:

I have the cripser drawer in my fridge filled with nothing but Ketchup and BBQ sauces. This is because the resturants always toss a handful of them in the bag. It's wasteful when I only need one. But that's a problem with restaurants not being concerned with waste. All the kerfuffle about plastic straws, yet they are still throwing in condiments and cutlery that were not needed.

But to get back to the point, the reason people don't want to pay for youtube:

1. Privacy

2. I have 20+ accounts, some of them are the ones I actually use for things, others were made to keep some google-account thing separate, and some are owned by my clients. Paying for one, means I then have to pay for all of them because google has a godawful poor multi-account handling that only works in chrome, and even then, I run into places where I have to switch between three different accounts to find the one that "has this feature".

3. The thing I need from youtube isn't provided in an easy way by youtube.

4. That's not the service I want to pay for.

So let's say I'm going to do a video project, and I need 10 seconds of a video on youtube. I can't just go to the video, click two timestamps and go "download", no I have to use a tool like youtube-dl or streamlink, download the entire thing, and then cut the 10 seconds I need using ffmpeg before I can load it into davinci resolve. Youtube Premium does not give this option to me, so Youtube Premium is worthless to me.

I pay for netflix, that's where I'm watching things. I'm not paying for amazon, I'm not paying for youtube. You know what would get me to pay for Amazon or Youtube though? Unfettered access to everything. But alas, I live in Canada where geofencing tends to make most US content unavailable, which means services like Amazon Prime Video, Youtube Premium, and AppleTV are usually useless and have content libraries that are less than 10% of that of the US service. 

I'll also point out that Youtube isn't netflix, and only carries "exclusive" stuff under premium, stuff that I have never hard about and pretty much don't even know of. Just like Amazon. I only know Amazon's originals from watching the ads on Twitch. If I wasn't watching Twitch, I wouldn't know of anything on Amazon either.

Sorry, but when I pay 10$ a month for  500 mbps Internet I don't see myself paying 8-12$ a month to remove ads on Youtube ... 

I think the benefits and usefulness of an internet connection provides way more benefits.

I'd have no problem paying $10-15 a  YEAR  for minimal advertising (ex no more than 1-2 minutes of non skippable ads for every hour of viewing)  or no advertising but limited to 720p (if the argument is that youtube has to make money to pay the bandwidth costs for 4K or whatever)

I pay that much for domain names and renew them yearly. 

They make enough money ... the ad revenue from Youtube alone jumped up by 83.7% ... it's noticeable... pushing more ads and more small 5-15s uninterruptible ads to annoy people into paying for Premium....

See https://www.reuters.com/business/google-parent-alphabet-beats-revenue-estimates-ad-boom-2021-07-27/

Alphabet said revenue from Google advertising rose nearly 70% to $50.44 billion during the second quarter ended June 30

Ad revenue for the company's streaming video platform YouTube jumped 83.7% from the year-ago quarter to $7 billion - nearly as much as Netflix generated in quarterly revenue.

Total revenue for Alphabet rose 61.6% to $61.88 billion, well above Wall Street estimates of $56.16 billion, according to IBES data from Refinitiv.

Quarterly profit was $18.5 billion or $27.26 per share, beating expectations of $19.34 per share.

9 hours ago, adarw said:

so no downloading and background watching

Don't care much about the downloading part but good lord not being able to minimise the app is stupid; same for YT Music (I guess this fixes that too?). I'm still not paying for it out of the principle that such a feature should not be locked behind a paywall.

4 hours ago, Srius1 said:

And spend hours weekly updating your ad blockers… lol.

You ridiculously overestimate the effort here lol. Ad blockers are plug and play, install once and never look back.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

5 hours ago, Srius1 said:

People in this thread crack me up. YouTube premium is $18/5 accounts. That’s about $4/person/month. That’s literally 1 coffee A MONTH. For hassle free YouTube . No ads on tvs, tablets, phones. Downloads. Background (perfect for music or podcast type).

Now repeat this same thinking with Twitch . Amazon Prime. Netflix . Patreon .  Dropbox / Google Drive / Microsoft whatever / Backblaze for backup  . office 365 .. 

How many cups of coffee?  

Also, I don't drink coffee and I wouldn't spend 4$ on a cup of coffee, and I'd rather save the money or invest them instead of giving it to Google.  

I understand youtube has to make some money, because servers cost, storage costs, datacenters cost, bandwidth costs ... but for a company like Google, the 500 GB or so of traffic I make a month doesn't cost them even 10 cents, and they make enough back from ads they shove down on me. 

6 hours ago, Arika S said:

Desktop: 

• no ads: literally any adblocker
  • background listening: Already happens
  • downloads: youtube-dl or literally any other downloading website

mobile:

• no ads: Youtube Vanced
  • background Listening: Youtube Vanced
  • downloads: newpipe

FIFY

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

5 hours ago, adarw said:

i only use my tv for hdmi uses lol but isnt smart youtube tv no longer being maintained?

5 hours ago, Arika S said:

i still use it. works perfectly fine.

I also use the YouTube app on my LG TV. It get's frequent updates aswell.

I use the native apps on my TV's smart OS as much as possible. That's currently the only way to get Dolby Vision HDR (other than physical BluRay). And sometimes getting HDR content from windows to properly display AS HDR to a TV can a pain in the ass. To this day i haven't found out how to watch Netflix content in HDR on a PC.

I don't see a reason to use anything other than the integrated apps in the smart OS. (Other than the YouTube ads...)

And getting something like a Shield when you already have a current smart TV is pretty useless imo.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

8 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

For someone like myself it makes a lot of sense. I prefer to use the native YouTube mobile app, and I listen to things offline while driving. Some of my commute is through an area with no cell service, so it's nice. 

download Blokada and ymusic

Google > "blokada" > download > turn on blocklist ~~ 2 minutes
turn on auto update > oh wait its on by default ~~ 0 minutes

i spent 2 minutes and now save £48 a year.

+ i dont get ads anywhere else as well.

Some thoughts as a current subscriber to the solo version of YT Premium. Note I transitioned from Play Music. YT Premium just sucks for music. I stayed for the general video convenience as I do watch on mobile and desktop. I have adblockers on desktop but never found a solution I like for mobile. So it is a plus for ad free mobile watching. Personally I don't care for or use background playback or downloads, so loss of those would be nothing to me. I'll have to look in detail later but this could be the ideal product for me.

As a secondary factor, I've seen many creators say that a Premium subscriber watching their videos is worth a load more than someone sitting through all the ads in the world. I don't know what the split is, but the money isn't just going into Google profits, a portion of it goes to creators also. It isn't floatplane by any means, but it is a start.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I know I'm in a minority but I almost exclusively watch YouTube on TV (I probably watch more of YouTube than anything else so why wouldn't I?) - But at the moment, paying for Premium and Spotify is ridiculous so I'll be taking up the ad-free only option. YouTube music is a joke but I don't want ads on YouTube, it's a catch 22.

There are proper documentary channels and other quality OC on YouTube that I watch with my brother and GF, it's crowd around my PC, or just watch on TV. "Oh why not hook up your PC to the TV and use adblock?" I hear you ask. Using a remote is the best experience on TV.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

25 minutes ago, cacoe said:

I know I'm in a minority but I almost exclusively watch YouTube on TV (I probably watch more of YouTube than anything else so why wouldn't I?) - But at the moment, paying for Premium and Spotify is ridiculous so I'll be taking up the ad-free only option. YouTube music is a joke but I don't want ads on YouTube, it's a catch 22.

There are proper documentary channels and other quality OC on YouTube that I watch with my brother and GF, it's crowd around my PC, or just watch on TV. "Oh why not hook up your PC to the TV and use adblock?" I hear you ask. Using a remote is the best experience on TV.

Okay now sign up for premium and use it 1 month (free trial) without ads. Then go back to ads. And you’ll see how much nicer it is.

8 minutes ago, Srius1 said:

Okay now sign up for premium and use it 1 month (free trial) without ads. Then go back to ads. And you’ll see how much nicer it is.

I am a Premium subscriber and have been since the first day it was available in the UK, I have issue with having to pay more for the whole package (including youtube music) when I don't want YouTube music.

edit - removed unnecessarily harsh comment. 

Edited by cacoe

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT