YouTube tests a cheaper Premium Lite subscription tier

adarw
1 minute ago, WereCat said:

I see the ads even with adblocker. It's called a "sponsor".

"This video was brought to you by.... " or "Check out *website* to learn more..."

I only got rid of the 1st layer of ads, the 2nd layer still remains. And I can skip it if I wish so as well.

you know theres something called sponsorblock, sponsors cant see if you use it lol

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

Just now, adarw said:

you know theres something called sponsorblock, sponsors cant see if you use it lol

I suspected there may be something like that but I never heard about anyone using it nor did I search for it myself. I'm fine with clicking away on the timeline.

2 minutes ago, adarw said:

what happened to the good old "ill just skip 3 minutes forward where this nonsense surely is over with"?

Too lazy? : D 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

what happened to the good old "ill just skip 3 minutes forward where this nonsense surely is over with"?

haha yea ive gotten quite lazy 

-----------------

#

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I suspected there may be something like that but I never heard about anyone using it nor did I search for it myself. I'm fine with clicking away on the timeline.

its a pretty cool extension tbh i think jake talked about it before, he said if you want go for it 

-----------------

#

Reject YouTube Premium, Embrace Adblock.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

13 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Why do manually what can be done automatically 😛

At least LTT's sponsor spots are funny/well done and no this isn't sarcasm, I like his approach to a certain store website. Linus is the master of segues, fight me.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 minute ago, tikker said:

Why do manually what can be done automatically 😛

At least LTT's sponsor spots are funny/well done and no this isn't sarcasm, I like his approach to a certain store website. Linus is the master of segues, fight me.

it automaticly does it but you can go back by pressing enter

-----------------

#

Imagine paying for YT at all.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

Did you actually read the comment you replied to?

Yes? You said:

For someone like myself it makes a lot of sense. I prefer to use the native YouTube mobile app, and I listen to things offline while driving. Some of my commute is through an area with no cell service, so it's nice. 

i assume the 'its nice' is about being pro youtube premium subscription service

You can carry on using the native youtube app and remove ads with blockada.

You can use ymusic to download anything you want off youtube and just play it with your phones media player (or if its trash i like pulsar).

1 minute ago, The Torrent said:

You can use ymusic to download anything you want off youtube and just play it with your phones media player (or if its trash i like pulsar).

That's literally completely different than what I like. My comment said that I like the native YouTube app, and it's nice to be able to keep everything (including offline downloads) contained to the one app. Using a separate player is the opposite of that. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

1 minute ago, BondiBlue said:

That's literally completely different than what I like. My comment said that I like the native YouTube app, and it's nice to be able to keep everything (including offline downloads) contained to the one app. Using a separate player is the opposite of that. 

you pay how much money a month just so you click one circle on ur home screen instead of sometimes the adjacent one? I guess you also use twitter reddit etc. in your brower?

2 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

you pay how much money a month just so you click one circle on ur home screen instead of sometimes the adjacent one? I guess you also use twitter reddit etc. in your brower?

That's not what I said. Yes, I'm paying a small amount for convenience, but it makes the user experience better. I don't have to copy the video link into another service in order to download the video. I don't have to use another player with a poor UI IMO to play those videos. If I want to download a YouTube video all I have to do is click the button inside the app and choose a resolution. I still get the video description, I still get the nice player interface, and it's seamless. 

What does Reddit or Twitter have to do with anything? No, I use their respective mobile apps. Reddit sucks on the web for mobile. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

F youtube.

I gave up on them around 4 months ago when I just became sick of the endless ads and their 'misinformation' witch hunt. I now use vimeo and rumble and they are surprisingly good for what I watch.

Honestly, I would rather undergo a colonoscopy than willingly hand YT/google a dime.

Petty? Probably...but it gives me a sense of peace using them as little as possible.

To each their own though.

2 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

That's not what I said. Yes, I'm paying a small amount for convenience, but it makes the user experience better. I don't have to copy the video link into another service in order to download the video. I don't have to use another player with a poor UI IMO to play those videos. If I want to download a YouTube video all I have to do is click the button inside the app and choose a resolution. I still get the video description, I still get the nice player interface, and it's seamless. 

What does Reddit or Twitter have to do with anything? No, I use their respective mobile apps. Reddit sucks on the web for mobile. 

you dont have to copy link or anything you just search for the video and the ui is not poor at all. im sure theres many other equivalents if it is somehow to you. but if u got spare money to throw thats down to you

19 hours ago, SlidewaysZ said:

Lol paying for ad free anything is hilarious. Their are a million ways to block ads now. 

Well it depends on your goals, I don't care about ads, I just ignore them entirely. I take the miniscule frustration of waiting as a payment for the otherwise free service. Using an adblocker I presume makes it harder for creators to get paid for their work. I recently opted for YT premium to better support creators and also because I enjoy downloading videos that are more informational/talking head that I can listen to in the car while driving home. So for me, the premium fits perfectly for me. But I understand many prefer to just use an adblocker and aren't as concerned with creator revenue

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

20 hours ago, adarw said:

I would rather use a ad blocker then give a huge greedy corporate my money.

Something ironic about calling youtube greedy when you won't even pay a few dollars a month for content, and demand it for free.

2 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Something ironic about calling youtube greedy when you won't even pay a few dollars a month for content, and demand it for free.

their still taking data which equals to money :0

-----------------

#

3 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Right? Is the price of YouTube Premium (even at the full regular price) really that much? It's less than a lot of people pay for coffee or other snacks. 

20 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

I don't see how downloads and background playback isn't worth the small difference in price. I doubt this will succeed, but I could be wrong. 

It it was 5€ it would be a no brainer. I dont care about downloads and background playback. I just really hate ads. At 8.30 I'll keep using adblock desktop and just not watch on mobile devices.

5€ would be worth it to me to be able to watch youtube ad free on my phone and tablet. (both are Apple, so no adblock or vanced for me)

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Shoutout $10 grandfathered gang.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 hour ago, adarw said:

their still taking data which equals to money :0

..due to advertisements. no ads = less data collection. Data is also used to improve the platform.

1 hour ago, BondiBlue said:

Right? Is the price of YouTube Premium (even at the full regular price) really that much? It's less than a lot of people pay for coffee or other snacks. 

yea i've been paying for it for years. Linus has mentions it REALLY helps out creators in a big way.

6 minutes ago, poochyena said:

yea i've been paying for it for years. Linus has mentions it REALLY helps out creators in a big way.

Same. I started paying for it when it was YouTube Red, and I've enjoyed it ever since. It baffles me that some people really want to use a service but don't want to chip in a relatively small amount for additional features that they'd like. I get that some people don't use YouTube much, but a lot of people who complain about YouTube Premium are people who do use it a lot. 

is this thread finally dead ahhh it was real tiring

-----------------

#

4 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

My comment said that I like the native YouTube app

That would be a good argument if it wasnt so terrible compared to my browser… (and yes clearly this is subjective, but i really hate it, its kinda confusing and it feels like starring into a void… it sometimes takes me minutes just to find the comments lol)

yt "app"

Screenshot_20210804-013240_YouTube.thumb.jpg.47404daa1b11f41ac6d274cd771d0c32.jpg

@.@

browser:

279408921_Screenshot_20210804-013329_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.75be1802ee3786d4348133d882386613.jpg

So much clearer (also suggestions are better, techmoan, thats my man! D )

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity