why is there a gpu shortage but nothing eles?

adarw

why is it that companies can still make cpus and other components but not gpus? thanks!

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

yea but like cpus also have chips?

-----------------

#

Btw the stupid gpu shortage is over exaggerated, just have to wait for that bs to go away on its own or be exposed or something

And crypto crash will send gpu prices plummeting to or even under msrp

Just now, adarw said:

CPU dies are smaller thus a wafer can produce more of them

and GPU are in higher demand currently

overall the issue still lies with insufficient supply

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, adarw said:

So do PS5’s and those are selling left and right. 

CPU’s are in a different market than GPUs because you can’t efficiently mine off of a CPU. 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

aright thanks guys!

-----------------

#

14 minutes ago, Slottr said:

So do PS5’s and those are selling left and right. 

CPU’s are in a different market than GPUs because you can’t efficiently mine off of a CPU. 

Unless you buy one with a ton of cache, like epyc 7262 16 core but 128mb cache or i forgot what name epyc it is but its a zen 2 epyc also with 16 cores or was it 24 but has 256mb cache cause from what ive heard, more cache on cpu = better minibg cpu but i could just be an idiot ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯ 

wait i have a question what kind of gpu do ps5s and xbox x have? and who makes them? thanks

-----------------

#

9 minutes ago, adarw said:

wait i have a question what kind of gpu do ps5s and xbox x have? and who makes them? thanks

They use a version of AMD's Navi line (RDNA 2.0 like the RX 6xxx cards) of GPU's

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

are they like only for the consles or are they also for retail?

-----------------

#

7 minutes ago, adarw said:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/playstation-5-gpu.c3480

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/xbox-series-x-gpu.c3482

1 minute ago, adarw said:

They are custom silicon just for consoles, but they are based on the RDNA 2.0 architecture

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 minute ago, adarw said:

They are only for the consoles (you can't go buy the exact GPU that is in the PS5 or SeriesBox) but they all come from the same silicon production as the retail GPU's, which is also part of why AMD GPU's are scarce.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, adarw said:

Iirc amd release a ryzen 7 4700s 'desktop kit' which is more or less same as Xbox Series x

https://www.amd.com/en/desktop-kits/amd-4700s

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

1 minute ago, Freakwise said:

Iirc amd release a ryzen 7 4700s 'desktop kit' which is more or less same as Xbox Series x

https://www.amd.com/en/desktop-kits/amd-4700s

It may or may not have the integrated graphics non-functional, has no display outs so it requires a discrete GPU. So I wouldn't really say it's the same.

Just now, Middcore said:

It may or may not have the integrated graphics non-functional, has no display outs so it requires a discrete GPU. So I wouldn't really say it's the same.

Oops, forgot about that part

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

wait i have a realy weird question now would someone be able to like mine on a ps5 lol (not that i would) im quite dumb so overlook this question if its that dumb.........

-----------------

#

8 minutes ago, adarw said:

wait i have a realy weird question now would someone be able to like mine on a ps5 lol (not that i would) im quite dumb so overlook this question if its that dumb.........

i can't unerstand

Pls Mark a solution as a solution, would be really helpful.

BTW pls correct me, iam really stoobid at times.

10 minutes ago, adarw said:

Theoretically, yes, if you were able to get custom software onto the machine. But it's cooling capacity probably isn't the best compared to a discrete GPU and it wouldn't really scale up (you'd need one system per GPU rather than multiple GPUs per system). So price/performance probably wouldn't be attractive, if you could figure out how to run mining software on it in the first place.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Lots of reasons. (Mining etc)

However a big one is the major GPU fabs (TSMC, Samsung etc) are saturated with orders from both Nvidia, AMD, Qualcomm, Apple,  etc etc. The other major CPU chip supplier Intel, uses its own silicon fabs. So Intel has tons of capacity. Plus their chips are a bit not as good, so demand isn't as high.

Regarding the original question, we received a notice from Dell that server delivery dates will be delayed and that prices will go up because of the semiconductor shortage. So not only GPUs are affected. 

Basically every enterprise manufacturer I know of is having supply shortages, rubber is in short supply due to shipping constraints to so tires and whatnot are on very long lead times as well.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

"Shortage" is always a relative word.

For example, the products which probably have the worst time dealing with the shortage are:

- Graphics card

- Printers

- Cars

The word 'shortage' is based on the demand on these items, combined with the supply. The supply hasn't been able to increase with the demand, or rather the supply has shrunken because of the amount of markets that want chips.

The graphics cards have a hard time keeping up the supply, with the demand of customers (including customers that will re-sell the product or mine on it).

Same sort of deal with printers, with working from home becoming a lot more prevalent over the last year or so, the supply of printers couldn't keep up with the demand.

Cars are in a similar position I think. While I don't know if there has been a surge of demand, the supply of some crucial parts (such as the chips in the cars), couldn't keep up with the demand.

Sometimes shortage comes from the manufacturing supply, but it can also come from the shipping supply.

For example, remember in early 2020 when people were fighting for toilet paper? The shelves weren't empty because people suddenly needed more toilet paper, they were empty because people were buying them in much larger quantities than before.

There was no slow-down in manufacturing or shipping, the shipping of these products just couldn't keep up with the sudden increase in demand.

We're seeing the same with TPM devices for motherboards now. This was a market of products almost no one cared about, other than a few niche markets. This means the supply wasn't there, to keep up with the demand of consumers who suddenly all wanted one to have a chance of installing Windows 11.

Shortage is always something to put in perspective.

- What is the demand?

- Where does this demand come from? (is it a spike of demand, a gradual increase or a spike which will level to a sustained amount?)

- Can supply keep up with it? (Supply of raw materials, supply in manufacturing facilities, supply in shipping)

- What external factors influence the demand? (i.e. a boom in mining, people re-selling products, etc.)

We call it a chip shortage, because there is not enough manufacturing capacity for the demand, but the demand is much higher in some parts, compared to others.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 hours ago, minibois said:

- Printers

Call me boring but I want to know what's constraining supply of printers. 😮

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

22 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

Call me boring but I want to know what's constraining supply of printers. 😮

Probably not enough silicon to make all those chips they put in the ink cartridge that tells you it's empty when it isn't.

Cynicism aside, the real reason seems to be a combination of lowered production thanks to the pandemic, increased demand from people now working from home who didn't already have a printer at home and of course, the good old tariffs the previous US administration has implemented on Chinese goods. And that facetiously mentioned chip shortage probably also impacts printers in some capacity as well. Also, apparently Microsoft released a Windows update earlier this year that caused BSOD crashes whenever users wanted to print something on certain models, causing those people to seek replacements. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█