Next version of Windows event... Windows 11 -> Ended

GoodBytes

RIP Bluestacks

Microsoft Sherlocked (or netscaped)  Bluestacks

It seems that Ryzen 5 1600/1600 AF aren't supported for Windows 11 as well...

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

Just now, CalintzJerevinan said:

It seems that Ryzen 5 1600/1600 AF aren't supported for Windows 11 as well...

1st gen ryzen isn't supported. Shocker(actually)

1 minute ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

1st gen ryzen isn't supported. Shocker(actually)

But it should have TPM 2.0 so what the hell Microsoft...

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

12 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

RIP Bluestacks

Microsoft Sherlocked (or netscaped)  Bluestacks

Ah yes, Bluestack, malware by definition.

51 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

nobody cared about live tiles.

I did and do.  Lots of us who used Windows 10 on surface products loved the concept.  

I can get why PCMR people who only build desktops would think it's silly.    By the by I am typing this on a computer I build for doing real work.  It runs Linux.   Windows is for gaming. 

5 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

I did and do.  Lots of us who used Windows 10 on surface products loved the concept.  

I can get why PCMR people who only build desktops would think it's silly.    By the by I am typing this on a computer I build for doing real work.  It runs Linux.   Windows is for gaming. 

1. Live tiles on newer windows aren't live that much.

2. I am using a laptop, and I have never used live tiles. Also, if you are using a surface, then there will no longer be a tablet mode

TPM 2.0 modules already spiked over $100 on 3rd party sites and is sold out on MSI direct.

20 decade turning out to be great for pc hardware.

1 hour ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

F*cking Kabylake? Kabylake? Is MS out of it's mind?

Forced obsolescence at its finest.... Guess ill just run without updates if HW prices wont come down to earth until the support runs out for 10.......

What the actual shit is the point in making the system requirements so onerous? How are 7th gen Intel and 1st gen Ryzen not still considered incredibly common platforms?

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

for those with no tpm...the module costs between 20 to 40 dollars. (if your mobo has the pin plug on the board)
asus boards take 14-2 modules...theres 2 different ones so pay attention to the pin lay out
looking around theres modules for most mobo companies (amazon)
ryzen boards need to switch to firmware tpm in bios (asus at least)

48 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

I have a Windows 10 workstation at my office I use to work on multi-million-dollar hospital/medical projects, as there is no relevant architectural building modelling software on Linux or OSX; I'm fairly confident that counts as real work.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

8 minutes ago, circeseye said:

for those with no tpm...the module costs between 20 to 40 dollars. (if your mobo has the pin plug on the board)

The point is why require a module that is literally never going to be used (AFAIK the only thing that can use it in windows is bitlocker but thats only available in pro and upward versions).....

12 minutes ago, circeseye said:

asus boards take 14-2 modules...theres 2 different ones so pay attention to the pin lay out

Care to find the MS-4462 in stock for a Z490 Unify? Ava direct has one but charges $50 for shipping.

1 hour ago, Uttamattamakin said:

By the by I am typing this on a computer I build for doing real work.  It runs Linux. 

Normally I would agree that prebuilts are used for work, but in the past 12 months, my uptime on my machine has been 102 times more than what I use my computer at work and azure combined.

22 minutes ago, circeseye said:

20-40 bux in your country. Want to know how much a tpm chip costs in India?

It is 150 dollars on amazon. A gigabyte one. My point is that microsoft is being a d*ck and is forcing people to use TPM, when there is no need.

You can't tell sysadmins to install a TPM chip in their broadwell/haswell/skylake/kabylake/summitridge machine. They have hundreds of computers and adding a single module is pretty cumbersome and annoying.\

F*ck Microsoft. I am actually mad.

1 minute ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

It is 150 dollars on amazon. A gigabyte one. My point is that microsoft is being a d*ck and is forcing people to use TPM, when there is no need.

You can't tell sysadmins to install a TPM chip in their broadwell/haswell/skylake/kabylake/summitridge machine. They have hundreds of computers and adding a single module is pretty cumbersome and annoying.\

ooooffffff. yea thats harsh...i knew reading that thou this would piss off a lot of people.i was trying to help Rune find one for his board. no luck

8 hours ago, Fetzie said:

With the TPM requirement, I guess I'm keeping Windows 10 on this PC. TPM 2.0 modules are anywhere between 50 and 90 euro on Amazon, and I'm not spending that to get Windows 11. Maybe my next motherboard will have it pre-installed.

Just enable PTT (Intel)/fTPM (AMD) in your BIOS if you're on Haswell or first-gen Ryzen or newer. That'll be enough to make the Windows 11 upgrade checker thingy pass the TPM 2.0 requirement, and to my understanding that's a "soft" requirement with TPM 1.2 being the "hard" requirement according to this page.

tbh my biggest issue's that UEFI BIOSes are now required. This is gonna lock a lot of laptops from the mid-2000s to early-2010s out from Windows 11, whereas they could run Windows 10 just fine.

12 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

I've read people have managed to get around the TPM requirement by replacing some install files, so it's apparently not even necessary to run the OS. In a time when hardware is sold above retail and difficult to get, hardware from just a few years ago is being forced to be obsolete.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

1 minute ago, atxcyclist said:

I've read people have managed to get around the TPM requirement by replacing some install files, so it's apparently not even necessary to run the OS. In a time when hardware is sold above retail and difficult to get, hardware from just a few years ago is being forced to be obsolete.

Yep, its incredibly trivial to do. I watched a video yesterday where a guy had Windows 11 running on a Core 2 Laptop with only 1GB of RAM (in the end he had to upgrade to 2GB though since 1GB was unusable).

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

12 hours ago, Chief McGill said:

I just watched the official Windows 11 launch and I can't help but cringe at the obvious attempt at making an OS feel like an emotional experience.

If I'm honest, and I'll assume many have made this point before, it feels an awful...Mac like.  Like, MSoft looked at Mac OS and said "Let's do all that...but our way."....

Now, I'm primarily a Mac User, so I don't say that in a bad way, but the thing is... Apple is Apple and Microsoft is Microsoft and people who like Mac OS use it and people who like Windows use that, and I'm not sure trying to make the windows experience more Mac like is a good strategy...BUT also I'm very early in my learnings about all this new stuff, so I'll wait to make a real judgement.

-------------

Something I hope with the new "focus" on multi moniters is something as (seemingly) simple as...I want to run a screen saver on each of my monitors. Preferably a choice for each one. It's a small thing, but would make me happy.

-------------

On this TPM thing... gonna need to do a lot of learning on this... I googled my motherboard and it has a TPM header so....yay?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

1 minute ago, Video Beagle said:

On this TPM thing... gonna need to do a lot of learning on this... I googled my motherboard and it has a TPM header so....yay?

How recent is it? You might not even need to buy a TPM module.