Next version of Windows event... Windows 11 -> Ended

GoodBytes
1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

This is MS we're talking about, release it free to the world, wait for everyone to get on with it, then use the TPM chip in some nefarious fashion to force a subscription model...or else....

(yeah, I"m having a go at them, but at the same time, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they tried to pull a pay model after the fact)

Its not unreadable that they want to get paid for the software they create. But maybe they should just be more upfront about that fact. The alternative is MS stop caring about windows (on the consumer space) and just focus on azure, after all at the moment that is what is making them money...

Also Panos, consider what you've done. IT Pros are now finding their computers can't be upgraded (a nasty surprise), and are going to be end-of-life in half the time they normally get (four years instead of eight, another nasty surprise). And for what, superfluous bells and whistles in their view? Bells and whistles which will get people complaining about how the taskbar moved, and wondering where their Start Menu pins went, and all the retraining required? All while we are still recovering from a pandemic, and the supply chain for new computers is very tight? And while your competition is brushing up on new, faster, fanless computers, M1X chips, Mac Pros that take up little space and little energy, and all the other stuff in the next year or two?

If I was Apple, I'd send out a message to CEOs everywhere saying to "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, your IT Pros exhausted from the mistakes of Microsoft" and join the dark side. If Microsoft is forcing you to upgrade and re-train, you might as well upgrade and re-train with Apple. Panos can't be oblivious to the fact that some businesses will say that this is all too much work and that the grass might be greener on the other side of the fence. 

1 minute ago, hishnash said:

Its not unreadable that they want to get paid for the software they create.

Right, so why then give it away as a free upgrade?

They started at with the 1st ver. of Win10, and set the precedent, so now everyone expects this to be so from now on. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, gjsman said:

If I was Apple, I'd send out a message to CEOs everywhere saying to "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, your IT Pros exhausted from the mistakes of Microsoft" and join the dark side. If Microsoft is forcing you to upgrade and re-train, you might as well upgrade and re-train with us.

Except, it's not gonna work.

We're not (in my gov't agency) on Windows because we like it, it's because the software we need on a daily basis, doesn't exist in the Apple world. It's as simple as that.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

We're not (in my gov't agency) on Windows because we like it, it's because the software we need on a daily basis, doesn't exist in the Apple world. It's as simple as that.

There will always be people dependent on Windows. But If I'm in Apple's offices, I know that Microsoft has created an unexpected, massive upgrade cycle that has no doubt pissed off IT Pros everywhere. I might set an aggressive target to capture 10-20% of that upgrade cycle. 

Another new feature of Windows 11.

Global microphone mute button. Will show on the taskbar.

RE4OA7x?ver=fdc6&q=90&m=2&h=-2&w=1870&b=

Press on it to mute/unmute.

If you are in presenting or in a meeting under Teams, you'll see "Share this window" on Start menu application thumbnail preview:

RE4OPMj?ver=ad83&q=90&m=2&h=-2&w=1870&b=

"Share this window?" Cool, but can Zoom do that? Can Zoom integrate with Windows like that? Is Windows truly an open platform or is this Microsoft being anticompetitive? 

8 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

The most worrying things is the UTTER shit support for older hardware. First gen ryzen is not even supported.  If your CPU was made before 2017, you're basically stuck with Windows 10.

I think MS will extend Windows 10 EOL to 2026.

Also, in other news, Steve Dispensa (a Microsoft Software Developer) said that the "PC Health Check" that people were using to determine compatibility with Windows 11 was buggy and a new version will be available tomorrow and in the coming weeks.

To which I say: You had ONE JOB!

1 hour ago, gjsman said:

You and me both, especially considering fTPM and TPM 2.0 by Infineon were both broken years ago. 

Interesting, I didn't know that, Microsoft forcing everyone to use TPM 1.2 at minimum really has me thinking they're doing it to force people into buying new PC's, its also easy marketing for MS to say it's a more secure OS.

9 minutes ago, StDragon said:

I think MS will extend Windows 10 EOL to 2026.

hope they update spec list.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Just a quick update about TPM. I did need it enabled to install.

I switched OC profiles in uefi and my "new" profile does not have it enabled.. yet here I am..

Not sure if that does anything for you.. but I am running 11 Pro atm. Hope they change more stuff.. its a little more cumbersome than it needs to be. But it does look nicer than 10, mostly.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

Well rip me, can't even find the appropriately sized ASUS TPM 2.0 modules for my board anymore.

29 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Interesting, I didn't know that, Microsoft forcing everyone to use TPM 1.2 at minimum really has me thinking they're doing it to force people into buying new PC's, its also easy marketing for MS to say it's a more secure OS.

If full fledged BitLocker drive encryption is made standard and enabled by default for all editions, then I'll give them a pass on that one as it was trivial to steal data off of a stolen Windows machine.  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I have backed up everything with an IMAGE of the drive.  Now I am going to dare to try and UPGRADE INSTALL of windows 11 just to see what that is like.  

That said I am not liking some things I am hearing like not being able to move the taskbar etc etc.  

Also I predict that in a Windows 11.1 Live tiles will return because why not.  They have their use.  In a way this windows looks and feels like it is trying to be a Phone OS and I can see how that will be annoying on a PC that is not an ultra portable.  

9 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Yep though not in the traditional way. I have 11 on the internal SSD then Ubuntu running on a SATA SSD and I use GRUB to choose between Ubuntu or Windows. It works perfectly 🙂

TPM might be a problem. Many people have problem with the linux scheduler and grub(<2.0). 

Satya Nadella was correct when he said that it was a new era of windows. Now we will see new standards and old cruddy machines being thrown out the window(geddit?)

12 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

I have backed up everything with an IMAGE of the drive.  Now I am going to dare to try and UPGRADE INSTALL of windows 11 just to see what that is like.  

That said I am not liking some things I am hearing like not being able to move the taskbar etc etc.  

Also I predict that in a Windows 11.1 Live tiles will return because why not.  They have their use.  In a way this windows looks and feels like it is trying to be a Phone OS and I can see how that will be annoying on a PC that is not an ultra portable.  

nobody cared about live tiles.

2 hours ago, StDragon said:

I don't have a list of which CPUs support Firmware TPM (fTPM), but given the oldest CPUs in that list are about 2018 and newer, stands with reason perhaps they do?

I'm real new on the whole fTPM because frankly I've never had to use it. All laptops I've managed within an org involved the TPM being on-board to enable BitLocker.

Seems fTPM is really all that's needed assuming all of those CPUs implement some variant of the function.

F*cking Kabylake? Kabylake? Is MS out of it's mind?

Right now, more Intel CPUs are supported by the hackintosh than windows. ou can still hackintosh a haswell core iX or a Ivy bridge xeon

Athlon 2000G is not supported. Bad day for low spec gamers.

Everything made on first gen ryzen is out.

To everyone saying that Linux wouldn't see mass adoption in droves, would you like your words sauteed, fried or roasted? I am convinced that MS wants to kill winblows.

Also can somebody check how the legacy cruddy programs look on 11?

10 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

nobody cared about live tiles.

i did, pls no kil

but yes, the overwhelming majority hated them, and i don't think it'll be missed, which i personally feel is unfortunate, but then i'm one person against literally the entire world which hated it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Mozilla aside, we are talking about the OS. And while I may not be the best at searching for this stuff, all I found was this:

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/05/this-is-the-data-ubuntu-collects-about-your-system

So if you have any proof of this, please, please! post it, I use Linux, and I"d like to be educated about this

I don't think that ubuntu does this. There was the spyware debacle, but they wouldn't  put it, else people would switch in droves to something like Pop or Mint or fedora

5 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

F*cking Kabylake? Kabylake? Is MS out of it's mind?

Right now, more Intel CPUs are supported by the hackintosh than windows. ou can still hackintosh a haswell core iX or a Ivy bridge xeon

Athlon 2000G is not supported. Bad day for low spec gamers.

To everyone saying that Linux wouldn't see mass adoption in droves, would you like your words sauteed, fried or roasted? I am convinced that MS wants to kill winblows.

Also can somebody check how the legacy cruddy programs look on 11?

Saw this earlier. My guess is that it's just an error. 

Main PC: Ryzen 1600 @4GHz, 16GB 2933 MHz DDR4, 1060 6GB blower card.

Laptop: ThinkPad T580 (i5, iGPU, FHD, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD+1TB HDD). Used with both the regular and extended-run batteries (RIP power bridge).