Next version of Windows event... Windows 11 -> Ended

GoodBytes
On 6/24/2021 at 10:59 AM, GoodBytes said:

It looks like if you have Windows 11 Home, like Windows 10, you are forced to use a Microsoft linked account. No local account.

Can still use local account after creating ms link account during oobe

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

52 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I forgot who asked, but a while back, it was asked if you can sideload apk's Android apps on Windows 11.

Apparently, an engineer from Microsoft responded on Twitter to that question, answering "Yes" on that question:

https://twitter.com/migueldeicaza/status/1408222245265330178?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Hopefully, the information is correct. That would be great news.

This would make sense as under the Dev event, Microsoft talked, very briefly, albeit, saying that Android apps runs under what is called "Windows Subsystem for Android", or WSA for short. This is the very similar system (if not, identical, beside the OS), as WSL that Microsoft introduced a while back (which, fun fact, refer to Android stuff, as it all started as a possible solution for the Windows 10 Mobile to run Android apps on it, but turns out that the SoC of the time was no match in providing a good experience.... at least with the original implementation. I am sure a lot of improvements were done since)

That's good news.

Let's hope you'll be able to sideload gapps as well, or at the very least MicroG.

If not, then "Android app support" will be a big a big disappointment to people once they realize like 80% of the apps they want, won't work.

57 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Unless they make Bitlocker work on the home version and make it mandatory, they are just talking out of their ass.

Windows Hello uses TPM chip if you have it. Remember your biometrics is stored locally, not on the cloud (which is good, but requires good security on your side to protect that info further than the 'typical' way). It can also be used (not sure if its already being used by Edge or something) to encrypt saved passwords.

Anyways, info is still coming in. Earlier in the day, this was published:

https://www.microsoft.com/security/blog/2021/06/25/windows-11-enables-security-by-design-from-the-chip-to-the-cloud/

7 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

I doubt it, considering Microsoft didn't listen to insiders with how many buggy updates got forced in Windows 10, and of course Microsoft wants that more secure OS marketing.

Yup, unfortunately windows 10 showed that MS only cares to cash in lock and restrict users on their platform (become a new apple of sort) and care not about the needs of the users (and unfortunately most consumers don't care). This shows even now with the hardware requirements of Windows 11, which i honestly hope that it makes Windows 11 flop, ms needs a good smack on the back of their head for them to do things properly, due to the windows 8 fiasco windows 10 was pretty good up to the anniversary update, unfortunately they started to go down hill once more...

Also i know i'm off topic but can i just say you avatar Violet is damn awesome 👌.

First of all, let me introduce myself. I am from China and I am 14 years old this year. I started watching LTT when I was in elementary school and assembled my first computer in my life. I personally think win11 is very pretty and of course I will update windows 11 as soon as possible,In China, many people think that Windows 11 is Windows 10 but changed the theme,What do you guys think?When it is time to update, will you choose to update?

Hopefully if the tpm is required and some people or organizations arent bothered to mod windows files, theyll switch to linux, which is good cause linux must outgrow the outdated and crappy ms windows

Aka a turning point that might result in the growth of linux and even macos

Obviously it prob has the stupid bloatware and telemetry of w10 so i will obviously hate it

It's interesting, for sure. There's some parts I'm not keen with like the widgets. No one cares, no one wants it, and no one asked for it.

Other things are really nice. Personally I really like the new Start Menu. It's kind of perfect: search box, recent apps, and recent files. Straight to the point and nothing in your way. Snap overhaul looks like a win all around. More excited than is probably rational about the ability to group apps together to minimize/maximize as a set and having windows restored to where they were. I might actually even start using multiple desktops now, since you can customize them individually.

Some of the other "features" were just padding, though. Things like AutoHDR and DirectStorage are great, but they're also not unique to Windows 11. AutoHDR was already available for Windows 10, and DirectStorage is a feature of DirectX 12, which will be available wherever that's supported. 

Android apps on Windows is exciting, but I'm reserving my enthusiasm for the moment. One, they briefly, ever so briefly, mentioned something about it being made possible via an Intel technology. That doesn't mean it won't work it AMD, necessarily, but it also might, and that would be a huge flop, if it doesn't. Also, a partnership with the Amazon App Store makes sense from a business-side perspective. This isn't something Google probably would have played ball with, but it's a big sour note from a user perspective. The Amazon App Store is notoriously not great, and if you're already an Android user, you won't have access to any of your purchased apps without buying them again. If you do want to use Android apps on both Windows and your Android devices, you'll either have to buy them twice or start using the Amazon App Store pretty much exclusively, which is not really something you'd ever want to do. It should be fine at least for free apps, though.

All in all, it seems like a true beneficial upgrade, but it's also not quite as revolutionary as they want you to believe. There's nothing they've really done that couldn't have been done to Windows 10, and it probably is still mostly the same under the hood.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

@bilibili_simonMerged to the main discussion thread, there are many thoughts in here.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Hopefully if the tpm is required and some people or organizations arent bothered to mod windows files, theyll switch to linux, which is good cause linux must outgrow the outdated and crappy ms windows

Aka a turning point that might result in the growth of linux and even macos

Obviously it prob has the stupid bloatware and telemetry of w10 so i will obviously hate it

No, they wouldn't switch to Linux, they would just keep using windows 10 for some years and then upgrade to computers that Windows 11 can run on.

Very few organisations/companies want to change things like OS unless it's a very good reason for it.

Also Linux would be a bad option as they would require more people to help people doing things on their computers...

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

What are the odds that MS will stop supporting Win10 in 2025?

Given Windows 7 extensions even a single extension of four years would buy most plenty of time to save up and move on.  Remember some people really do replace computers only when broken, so dual supporting Win10 and 11 would enable security updates for older hardware until it begins to fall off the lower end of the market in usage averages.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

If anyone is curious WSL2 worked with GUI Ubuntu apps without issue.  It even seems to be graphically accelerated to an extent.  That said un ultraportable with no fans  and a 2C 4T processor isn't really a great virtualization experience.  That said I'm liking what I am seeing.  If it is robust enough I might even be tempted to switch my self built computer to Windows 11 so I can finally get that seamless Linux plus Windows or Windows Plus Linux experience. 

37 minutes ago, Tieox said:

Remember some people really do replace computers only when broken....

Especially in production environments.  Often key, niche, hardware and software only work with a specific version of a specific OS on a specific computer.   Schools, hospitals, and governments will often do this as a cost saving measure.  

If you are in college and have in person class ... get a look at the PC your prof has to teach from in class.  Often it is either very old or very low end.  All of those computers will either be replaced or migrated to Linux.  Which is unlikely as the retraining needed would cost too much. 

8 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Which is unlikely as the retraining needed would cost too much.

Because you wont need a retraining for a yet another reskin of the turd called win10..... /s

/ON
MS talking up security and using it as a justification for tpm, in the meantime they just sign a freakin rootkit....
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/microsoft-admits-to-signing-rootkit-malware-in-supply-chain-fiasco/

🤬

11 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Because you wont need a retraining for a yet another reskin of the turd called win10..... /s

/ON
MS talking up security and using it as a justification for tpm, in the meantime they just sign a freakin rootkit....
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/microsoft-admits-to-signing-rootkit-malware-in-supply-chain-fiasco/

🤬

Well, it shows the same problem as Apple with digital signatures / approval... it is social engineering game. Yes, they are automated checks, and validation process, but if you can by-pass things and, well in this case, probably convince some Microsoft employee that your thing is another anti-cheat system or whatever, then it can be approved. The author probably disguessed itself as a legit company and all. 

All I hope, for Microsoft, is that they improve further their process so that these things don't happen again.

3 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Never heard of the guy before, might aswell be Mr. Bean.

He's one of the big Windows pundits including Windows Central and Petri and he frequently dialogs with them and has Brad Simms and Mary Jo Foley (from ZDNet) on his platform. He runs podcasts and https://thurrott.com/ with it's $60/yr. subscription. He was hyping Windows 11 before launch, and now says it's the new Windows XP, and says that he's super glad for all of it - but simultaneously admitted he had no idea what a TPM was or why people would be up in arms about it.

2 hours ago, gjsman said:

He's one of the big Windows pundits including Windows Central and Petri and he frequently dialogs with them and has Brad Simms and Mary Jo Foley (from ZDNet) on his platform. He runs podcasts and https://thurrott.com/ with it's $60/yr. subscription. He was hyping Windows 11 before launch, and now says it's the new Windows XP, and says that he's super glad for all of it - but simultaneously admitted he had no idea what a TPM was or why people would be up in arms about it.

This guy doesn't have much knowledge on computers, despite what he like to pretend. Sad for him, is that it has been YEARS reporting on Windows leaks/rumors, and never had any interest in developing his computer knowledge to know more about things. In the old days he had reliable sources for leaks and got popular on that. But today, he lost all of that, and he mostly just does analysis... but he doesn't have the background for it. They are better sources.

I'll admit, I became more skeptical of him when Apple announced the M1. Yes, Apple's presentation was frustrating with the unlabelled graphs and such, but instead of having a nuanced view on it like everyone else that it could be great or could be underwhelming, he went headlong into the idea that it will be a Qualcomm 8cx-ish level CPU at best and that compatibility will be like the Surface Pro X, terrible. And I watched his podcast once the reviews came up and the first several days he was in denial. But I still thought on Windows at least he would be more knowledgeable than not having heard of a TPM before. Even I had heard of and researched TPMs years ago, and had considered buying a TPM chip for BitLocker back in 2016.

I also lost more respect yesterday @GoodBytes when he was on a podcast talking about Windows 11 features. On his blog, he hounds Apple every time they add a new feature that harms a competitor. He repeats Spotify's Coalition for App Fairness arguments, supports Epic Games, calls out whenever Apple "sherlocks" a product like they did to Luna Display with Sidecar, and that's all well and good and a perfectly fine opinion to have. However, his co-host asked if adding Microsoft Teams to Windows 11 could be anti-competitive with Zoom and Slack, considering Windows has 80%+ PC market share, more share than Apple for anything. The amount of mental gymnastics that followed to explain why adding Teams was not anti-competitive while still maintaining his logic on why Apple doing stuff is anti-competitive was embarrassing and illogical. 

Though the fact that I'm not alone in criticism (your comment) means I've lost all respect, I'm finally done. 

On 6/24/2021 at 8:32 AM, Master Disaster said:

Blame Apple...

They stuck with macOS X until 10.14 then as soon as MS made it to Windows 10 (and said it would be the last release) suddenly Apple move to 11.

I blame Apple for the centralized taskbar. I always despised that on Mac. They better have a way to switch it back. Never liked how every time you open apps it just keeps moving everything around.

#Muricaparrotgang

18 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

For those complaining about bloat under Windows 11. The following will be removed:

• Math Input Panel

I never really used it, but it seems like that would've been pretty handy for a lot of engineering types? It's also a miniscule program. Maybe they'll still have it available for download, just not pre-loaded.

4 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

Personally I really like the new Start Menu. It's kind of perfect: search box, recent apps, and recent files. Straight to the point and nothing in your way.

There's nothing they've really done that couldn't have been done to Windows 10, and it probably is still mostly the same under the hood.

I hate it. Since Win8 MS has been pushing to make things larger while providing less information. I'd rather have the old start menu. I can already pin things to the start menu but it's way slower than just hitting start key and searching. It also doesn't look like it has the list anymore, or it's in a new location that's harder to get to for no reason.

I'm still kind of amazed how much of Win10 is leftover from XP or 2000.

#Muricaparrotgang

2 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I never really used it, but it seems like that would've been pretty handy for a lot of engineering types? It's also a miniscule program. Maybe they'll still have it available for download, just not pre-loaded.

I wasn't needed for a long time, as note taking software had their own implementation. Notably, OneNote.

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

I blame Apple for the centralized taskbar. I always despised that on Mac. They better have a way to switch it back. Never liked how every time you open apps it just keeps moving everything around.

Even Apple though lets you move it to the left or right side of the display. That Microsoft removed that from Windows 11 is inexplicable outside of, as some people have suggested, that they are on a time crunch to get this ready for OEMs and decided fixing the bugs with moving the taskbar isn't a high priority right now. If that is the case though as some commentators have suggested, this doesn't bode well for Windows 11 at all on initial release.

I hate it lol. Will probably stay on Windows 10 Pro until October 14th 2025 or switch to Linux in the mean time for good if I can find a Distro which actually supports all the Nvidia Drivers and special sauce Software like RTX Broadcast and of course has great Proton integration so that all of my games work on it. 

So would one also need a stupid MS account to active W11 Pro or is that only for Home ? Microsoft really rarely keeps their promises don't they... (talking about them saying that W10 was the last Windows).

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.