Linus Torvalds ROASTS anti-vaxx devs!

Summary

Basically an anti-vaxx Linux kernel maintainer decided that it would be an excellent idea to talk about his anti-vaxx conspiracy theories on planning for the Linux Kernel Summit 2021. And got roasted by Linus.

Quotes
The "Anti-Vaxx" devs email :

And I know *a lot* of people who will never take part in this generic
human experiment that basically creates a new humanoid race (people
who generate and exhaust the toxic spike proteine, whose gene sequence
doesn't look quote natural). I'm one of them, as my whole family.

Linus' response :

Please keep your insane and technically incorrect anti-vax comments to yourself.

You don't know what you are talking about, you don't know what mRNA
is, and you're spreading idiotic lies. Maybe you do so unwittingly,
because of bad education. Maybe you do so because you've talked to
"experts" or watched youtube videos by charlatans that don't know what
they are talking about.

But dammit, regardless of where you have gotten your mis-information
from, any Linux kernel discussion list isn't going to have your
idiotic drivel pass uncontested from me.

Vaccines have saved the lives of literally tens of millions of people.

Just for your edification in case you are actually willing to be
educated: mRNA doesn't change your genetic sequence in any way. It is
the exact same intermediate - and temporary - kind of material that
your cells generate internally all the time as part of your normal
cell processes, and all that the mRNA vaccines do is to add a dose
their own specialized sequence that then makes your normal cell
machinery generate that spike protein so that your body learns how to
recognize it.

The half-life of mRNA is a few hours. Any injected mRNA will be all
gone from your body in a day or two. It doesn't change anything
long-term, except for that natural "your body now knows how to
recognize and fight off a new foreign protein" (which then tends to
fade over time too, but lasts a lot longer than a few days). And yes,
while your body learns to fight off that foreign material, you may
feel like shit for a while. That's normal, and it's your natural
response to your cells spending resources on learning how to deal with
the new threat.

And of the vaccines, the mRNA ones are the most modern, and the most
targeted - exactly because they do *not* need to have any of the other
genetic material that you traditionally have in a vaccine (ie no need
for basically the whole - if weakened - bacterial or virus genetic
material). So the mRNA vaccines actually have *less* of that foreign
material in them than traditional vaccines do. And  a *lot* less than
the very real and actual COVID-19 virus that is spreading in your
neighborhood.

Honestly, anybody who has told you differently, and who has told you
that it changes your genetic material, is simply uneducated.  You need
to stop believing the anti-vax lies, and you need to start protecting
your family and the people around you.  Get vaccinated.

I think you are in Germany, and COVID-19 numbers are going down. It's
spreading a lot less these days, largely because people around you
have started getting the vaccine - about half having gotten their
first dose around you, and about a quarter being fully vaccinated. If
you and your family are more protected these days, it's because of all
those other people who made the right choice, but it's worth noting
that as you see the disease numbers go down in your neighborhood,
those diminishing numbers are going to predominantly be about people
like you and your family.

So don't feel all warm and fuzzy about the fact that covid cases have
dropped a lot around you. Yes, all those vaccinated people around you
will protect you too, but if there is another wave, possibly due to a
more transmissible version - you and your family will be at _much_
higher risk than those vaccinated people because of your ignorance and
mis-information.

Get vaccinated. Stop believing the anti-vax lies.

And if you insist on believing in the crazy conspiracy theories, at
least SHUT THE HELL UP about it on Linux kernel discussion lists.

Linus

My thoughts

While I am not 100% sure that it classifies as tech news. I thought that it was an enjoyment to read the roast, plus it serves as a reminder that not even very smart developers are safe from misinformation and conspiracy theories. 

Sources

https://lore.kernel.org/ksummit/CAHk-=wiB6FJknDC5PMfpkg4gZrbSuC3d391VyReM4Wb0+JYXXA@mail.gmail.com/

Of course Linus Torvalds would defend the vaccine. The 5G nanobots they inject you with are running Linux.

/s

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

i have to be honest, this makes me so happy.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

This is so on brand for Linus Torvalds. I'm loving it.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

WhatI can i say?,

I agree with linus 😄

I am a man of science,and conspiracy theories are just cancer.

They start with a conclusion and then twist facts and even make things up in order to prove the their conclusion.

In science you start with facts and evidence,and only then reach the conclusion

Popular conspiracy theories:

The Earth is flat.

5G causes cancer

Vaccines cause Autism

Area 51 is hiding aliens (The fighter jets that were tested and developed there indeed look like aliens,their designs are...unique)

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Moved to Off Topic, more tech adjacent and primarily about COVID/vaccines.

Also a reminder to keep it civil and have in mind the same guidelines as the main COVID-19 topic.

43 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Moved to Off Topic, more tech adjacent and primarily about COVID/vaccines.

Also a reminder to keep it civil and have in mind the same guidelines as the main COVID-19 topic.

But, but…Linus Torvalds would want the vaccinated people aka walking 5G towers to experience a kernel panic instead of Bill Gates’ blue screen of death. :old-tongue:

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

49 minutes ago, Vishera said:

WhatI can i say?,

I agree with linus 😄

I am a man of science,and conspiracy theories are just cancer.

They start with a conclusion and then twist facts and even make things up in order to prove the their conclusion.

In science you start with facts and evidence,and only then reach the conclusion

Popular conspiracy theories:

The Earth is flat.

5G causes cancer

Vaccines cause Autism

Area 51 is hiding aliens (The fighter jets that were tested and developed there indeed look like aliens,their designs are...unique)

How did the Area 51 Having Aliens and their Tech stored at a remote Aircraft Testing Facility get started anyway?

4 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

How did the Area 51 Having Aliens and their Tech stored at a remote Aircraft Testing Facility get started anyway?

I don't know,but i have a theory, People saw this and screamed aliens 😂 :

f-117_front_view.jpg

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Just ignore ant-vaxxers, all your doing is giving them a platform. People have opinions even if the opinion is right or wrong.

And besides this is a Tech Forum, who gives two shits about vaccines in a Tech Forum.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

He probably helped develop the kernel for the 5g nanochips that are injected through the vaccine.

48 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Just ignore ant-vaxxers, all your doing is giving them a platform. People have opinions even if the opinion is right or wrong.

And besides this is a Tech Forum, who gives two shits about vaccines in a Tech Forum.

mRNA tech is kind of interesting though.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

13 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

He probably helped develop the kernel for the 5g nanochips that are injected through the vaccine.

The tech behind vaccines is, but anything about vaccine and for/against discussion... no.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

54 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Given the widespread Influence of quite a few Anti-Vaxxers, We should be Countering Claims they make.

12 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Given the widespread Influence of quite a few Anti-Vaxxers, We should be Countering Claims they make.

Then challenge them [constantly] openly to a debate, disprove/prove it publicly. Making one sided videos doesn't do justice to one's argument.

I'm not telling you this, just saying in general. I can make one sided arguments all day long but I get no-where if the argument isn't challenged properly.

🤔
What am I thinking? this is 2020 and this is no longer possible, Ignore me.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I mean there is concerns in the future around this, and there has been cases of failed vaccines.

But not all is about the actual vaccine failing, than a system and delivering a functioning vaccine.

Either by war, mafia like structures, corruption or selling them and giving fake ones. (or destroyed vaccines)

And like in egypt at some point were they used the same needle on a wast amount of people for getting a vaccine.

So some comes to trust, and trusting your country and healthcare system.

Which is maybe why you wouldn't not want to take a vaccine in countries you are uncertain about.

Also this was all staged for Linus Torvald, or was it? 😛

1 minute ago, Quackers101 said:

I mean there is concerns in the future around this, and there has been cases of failed vaccines.

But not all is about the actual vaccine failing, than a system and delivering a functioning vaccine.

Either by war, mafia like structures, corruption or selling them and giving fake ones.

And like in egypt at some point were they used the same needle on a wast amount of people for getting a vaccine.

So some comes to trust, and trusting your country and healthcare system.

Which is maybe why you wouldn't not want to take a vaccine in countries you are uncertain about.

Also this was all staged for Linus Torvald, or was it? 😛

A few modern cases of Failed Vaccines and Mishandling of Needles does not Prove any Points at all. 

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

A few modern cases of Failed Vaccines and Mishandling of Needles does not Prove any Points at all. 

maybe not their points, just that more awareness is sometimes needed.

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

The Earth is flat.

5G causes cancer

Vaccines cause Autism

Area 51 is hiding aliens

what are you saying? all of this is the inalienable universal truth!/s

I am copying Linus' Rant for whenever I frequent any of the videos with antivaxxer comments on youtube.

24 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Yeah it really is interesting how new technology works even in stuff like this. I remember there was this one Ted talk about a way to fight I forget if it was bacteria or viruses. It was talking about how once there is enough of it together it will start to act but it won't act right away by itself. Apparently there is some receptors that determine if there is more (not sure if it is bacteria or virus load) and then gets the (bacteria or virus?) To work together to sorta mess things up. Apparently they are trying to find a way to block those receptors to prevent that from happening. It will be a way to stop the attack without actually having to kill it. 

1 minute ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

what are you saying? all of this is the inalienable universal truth!/s

Oh I see the /s Tag... Almost missed that...

2 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

But, but…Linus Torvalds would want the vaccinated people aka walking 5G towers to experience a kernel panic instead of Bill Gates’ blue screen of death. :old-tongue:

Blue screen of death in to pants is a lot messier

I'm definitely anti untested covid vax, but I've heard that the chem trails from planes are also turning people into lizards. Though after watching Dark Waters a few days ago, I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

In either case, one of my buddy's electrical engineer co-worker is a flat earther. They've apparently had multiple arguments about it. I guess based on math somehow the fact that GPS exists proves we're on a globe.

#Muricaparrotgang

20 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Blue screen of death in to pants is a lot messier

I think Pfizer has a blue pill for that :old-tongue:

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

this is 2020

You need to adjust your clock in your BIOS, it's quite some way behind. Install NTP, that really works  😉

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)