Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Do another old computer video like the Compaq one you just diid! I have one of the first Windows 95 notebooks - it’s a Toshiba Satellite 110CS - which I believe is still in working condition if I can find the charging brick. It has 24mb of ram, an 810mb HDD and is running an original Intel Pentium processor. It would need a little rigging to get it to run internet because right now it’s running a dial up modem, however You might be able to rig a card for the modem slot that would run the internet by Ethernet for you. It still has a floppy disc drive, and if I can find it an early CD rom drive as well. I tended to lose the disc drives because they were interchangeable. I could literally take out the floppy drive and replace it with the disc drive. I’d love to give it to you to use as a Throwback. The only catch I would put on it is that since it is a piece of history - that you promise not to use it as a wrecking demo (lol). This one is clean and in good condition. We took extra good care of it, since for many years it was our only computer.

4222AA46-66FD-449B-A99D-FC2608E134C2.jpeg

26C62AD4-EBE3-474F-9C33-ECF758C8B2B9.jpeg

1CE6DC11-7F80-43BB-83B8-995683293745.jpeg

C5EB455B-6C45-4D26-AA42-5649A8C3A6D1.jpeg

LiFePO4 battery pack build...

Potential angle: In the rabbit hole of astrophotography gear* there is a common need for portable battery systems that can drive all the gear needed (laptop, tracking mount, 2 CMOS cameras, 2-4 dew heaters, etc) for an overnight shooting session or two.  Many people build boxes (many examples) containing batteries and internal wiring to provide a slew of external connections (USB, cigarette lighter, powerpole connections, PWM outputs for dew heaters, inverter plugs, etc).  But it's pretty much the wild west out there in terms of what batteries are chosen/how much they cost/what they feature, internal wiring, external connections, panel design, etc.

*The video(s) obviously wouldn't have to be astrophotography centric (it's own expensive series of gadgephilic videos if you wanted to go there, but maybe not), that's just one angle to approach the project from.

Many people use AGM or other deep cycle marine lead acid batteries, but drool over LiFePO4.  These can use 80-90% of their capacity instead of 50%, weigh 1/3 to 1/4 as much as lead acid, and while LiFePO4 does not have quite as high energy density as other lithium ion, it is a "safe" chemistry.  And the number of recharge cycles supported is impressive.  But they are not cheap.  A good 12v 100ah battery from a "reputable" vendor like BattleBorn costs about $1000.  Many people notice vendors on alibaba and aliexpress selling the same amount of charge capacity for ~50% the price.  Many others criticize these and don't trust the chinese production.  In truth no one really seems to know how good or bad these batteries coming from china are.

So it would be really interesting to see LTT procure a good 100ah BattleBorn battery, and a selection of the 1/2 price comparable from aliexpress and alibaba (aliexpress especially since as consumers it's harder to get single units through alibaba), and test them side by side to see if they are worth the half-price they charge (pun).  Test their true capacity, maybe even break them open and compare the wiring, the cells, and the BMS.  It could be that they are excellent deals, but no one is in a position to buy several, test them, and make the information available...  This would not just be an interesting video but really helpful information that is currently nowhere online, so a title about testing big (80Ah+) Chinese LiFePO4 batteries would probably draw decent clicks from cold google searches alone.

A second interesting video that could come from this:  A build competition between LTT guys to see who can build the best portable battery box.  The basic design is a hard box with a 12v battery inside, a breaker, and a multiport blade fuse block running power to various external connections.  But plenty of room to go crazy and outdo each other on the panel with an assortment of connections, flashy chunky SPST switches, ammeters, volt meters, capacity display, inverters, pwm control/outputs, thermometers, fans for box circulation, thermal fuses, convenient charging, nice wood or other box materials, wheels/handles for easy movement across occasionally rough terrain, and any other bells and whistles a clever contestant comes up with.  Finally, many of the connections for astrophotography are poorly designed (cig plugs still common), they come unplugged and cause problems so some people cut them off and replace them with locking connectors like powerpole, or locking audio connectors, so that's another variable for uniqueness/oneupmanship.

Scored on:

• Features
  • Convenience of use
  • Compactness
  • Mobility (carrying design, weight)
  • Aesthetics
  • Cable Management
  • Bonus points for having all the meters and led indicators in red, to protect the precious nightvision.

Best of all, I'm sure you guys could find use for the battery boxes around the shop after you were done.

It would be cool if LTT could do an in dept research & benchmark video to see if Denuvo actually reduces performance significantly - there's many benchmarks floating around and they all show different results

Two Ideas,

You've made the 140TB 45Drive Storage Servers for YouTubers.  You even recently made one that utilizes SSDs.  Now with the advent of MicroSD's that are 1TB (SanDisk), Id like to see how small you can made a 100TB Server(drive) utilizing SD. You joked about something portable. Yes, you've attempted this on the 3.5in drive scale with some dodgy Chinese stuff, but I'm sure track down some better ways to link these cards now-a-days. Gylcol cool it if need be.

Or

Review an Amazon (AWS) snowball and see if you can top that ingest speed.

https://aws.amazon.com/snowball/

Can you test the Monster Notebooks? It's a Turkish company and their laptops are very cheap and powerfull here is the site https://www.monsternotebook.com.tr/

On 3/20/2019 at 10:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

X570 Chipsets: Is the Chipset fan even really needed? 

Build a custom Waterblock for it

-Perf testing with fan , w/o fan, with water

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Would be cool if you guys tested a proper SDDC setup: 

LTT never seem to dive into SDDC setups (Software Defined DataCenter) which would easily go to 4-13 million IOPS for the same price as a jellyfish (For example, a three node cluster without RAIDcards - which are not needed anymore or switches (using RDMA straight into the ram for 40-100Gbit networking) and NV storage. There isn't a faster/more economical way of scaling then that. The traditional SAN solutions would go at maybe 4000-10.000 IOPS at most. 

In a three node setup you would have failover/speed with an incredible uptime for 30-50.000. It would easily outperform a normal SAN solution anytime. You can even setup and scale different types of nodes (such as networking, disk and CPU seperatly. Need more space? Just slam in another storage server with crap CPU/RAM and link it up with RDMA). 

And as for rending videos - one could have seperate rending servers with no harddrives and just scale that part as neccessary with SDDC and link them up with RDMA. 

have y'all ever thought about giving the price point and release date of reviewed products at the very beginning of the video? There have been several occasions where I missed the price somewhere at the middle of the video and spent a few minutes jumping around to find it. 

Love the channel

Much love

Hey,

i would suggest you to make a NAS video which is affordable and realistic for home power user. i bet less then 1% of the viewers here would buy a 40k$ all SSD stornado.

You should have a look at a 2000$ price point. this is more than enough for building a 12 bay NAS with 8TB drives to get 80TB of usable storage including a hardwareraid controller, nice sas backplanes and enough performance for home users.

if you need some inputs for the hardware to choose: let me know.

An episode with an attempt to desolder a CPU or GPU in a laptop and upgrade it.

On 5/28/2019 at 3:00 AM, coreymccowan said:

A coworker and I were talking the other day and since you can run 128GB of ram. We thought it would be neat to see a video about loading Windows directly into the RAM on a system

@coreymccowan Have you ever heard of RAMDISK before ? It allows you to use RAM as a HDD

If you want me to see your reply, please tag me @Faisal A

How about these things

Consumer vs. Professional?

Hey peoples

[Video suggestion] Black friday electronics to look out for

Even though there is quite some time for black friday, i thought i would bring this up now so to hear your thoughts and to get the writers time to potentially make the video a reality.

As the title says, I think it would make a great video to look over some over the trends from past black Friday's, which items were in high demand, where were the best deals (stores/online).. You could even go into details with some specific items like phones or laptops and prepare us consumers for the black Friday craziness.

I would be very interested to hear what others think about this idea?

// Fluff

Virtualization with KVM

Plex Media Server

Best cases under $pricepoint.

More buildguides! (Buildguides are how I originally found ltt on youtube back in mid 2014)

Do a build with the chiller? (3950x maybe?)

Taran: daVinci Resolve 16 vs Adobe Suite

ZFS server stuff. Petabyte project extension?

Privacy options in Windows 10 (How to disable tracking), (maybe as a Techquickie?)

On 3/20/2019 at 4:19 PM, Slottr said:

Been looking at home security recently and stumbled upon the Wyze cam, I'd be interested in seeing something about that

Budget home security or something along those lines

I recently purchased their (Wyze) smart bulbs and I think maybe returning to that smart bulb video from a while back. They were $7.50 a blub (if you buy the four-pack) and they recently added google home integration so now they work with all major voice assistants and IFTTT. 

I am a civil engineer, and I would really like a more deep dive into systems that handle engineering tasks and Civil 3D. The benefits of multicore vs single core in those types of applications and the importance of Quadros if you aren't doing the heavy 3D rendering like someone using solid works for example. I understand this is a bit niche, but in my own testing workloads like these rely on fast single-core scores because the computations cant be split up and calculated separately. most things are linear and one has to be solved before the other can begin. 

Hello there! I have no idea if this would be possible or if it would be a worthwhile video to make, but i’ve always seemed to have troubles with syncing RGB due to differing brands and incomparable software. For example, I can not sync up my lighting effects on my Asus motherboard with my MSI graphics card or my Corsair keyboard. I was thinking it could be a good idea to explore any ways that you could sync these components up if even possible. 

Make the LTT studio toilet RGB and synced to lights around the studio, the louder the delivery the more they alternate colour. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Can we get more historical content. Like how much gaming performance at different GPU $$$ amounts produced for the past decade. Compare the performance increase percentages.

I would personally really like to see RANT on wearables. Nothing has come close to Pebble in terms of features for battery life. Now that my Pebble has died out, I miss it and realize the value isn't available on the market at the same level as my Pebble 2 HR. Galaxy Fit and Garmin Sport smart watches are the closest things I have found.

Edit:

I would just like more RANTS in general. I understand but do not like how there is no real value GPU cards. How neatly they all fit into the price/performance range. I miss the times like when 970 was big deal due to price/performance for 1080p and everything extra was big baller things.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

A series called "Getting Started" or something like that. You have some many talented resources; photographers, editors, mechanical engineering, graphics designers, writers and everything related to a modern IT company. It could be interviews from writers and "non-physical" roles, and tutorials from hands-on roles, like; "You wanna start taking pictures, start with learning ISO and blah blah blah", or; "Here is how to cut a cabinet on a CNC". Teach through challenges maybe, making the photographer take a specific picture, and follow what they do, or make this ATX fit in this ITX, and see that :) Hope some of it makes sense. 

You should review the Dell latitude d630, I have one that can be borrowed (No hdd) It is a great laptop, even though it is almost 14 years old.

91Ayz2f9IdL._SX425_.jpg

How about a video on buying any electronics on Ebay without getting burned/ripped off.

RGB lighting (and other rig enhancements)

I for one couldn't care less what a computer case looks like. In fact, that's a lie. I would care if my case would be spilling out colorful light. I would be embarrassed. I would stab those leds with a knife till it's dark. I'm 36. I do music for living and from time to time people come to my studio (where I also play games) and I really, really do not think it would give a good impression of my craft if my PC/display/mouse/keyboard were to emit any light whatsoever. I must be old and boring.

So I was thinking a cool video would be to take a survey and then just simply report the data extracted from that very survey. Not judging anyone. Questions about mods like: 

- Does your PC have a window or is your next case gonna have one? 
- Do you like/have colorful leds emitting light from your case?
- If your case blocks them, do you somehow still enjoy the lights in there exist?
- Do your peripherals have extra lighting in them?
- If you could have a PC filled with parts that had NO LEDs at all would you rather buy those parts instead? If the parts would cost 10% less?
- How old are you?
- Do you have to show your rig to people?
- Do you make money/living with that computer?
- Gender?
- Temps over aesthetics?
- Do you have your PC case on top of your desk or underneath? Why? (acoustics? Size of the table plays a part?)
- Does your rig have water cooling?

If vast majority thinks RGB color-scheme underneath your Corolla, behind your TV stand, or kitchen table is tacky - why wouldn't it in PC? Am I alone?

It's obvious there's many schools of thought and RGB discussion is a meme in itself, but no one has facts to back it up with. I think many would be interested hearing what group they belong to and how big their group is. How much age, sex etc matter in that sense etc. What you guys think?

In "10 Ways Mac OS is just BETTER" -

Linus makes the claim that, "There is a performance penalty" for virtualization of Windows under a Mac. As incredible as this may sound; it has been my experience as a simple user that for many tasks this simply is not the case. And that from a user perspective some tasks (AKA boot times) are actually faster on the same hardware when virtualized vs boot camp. My experience is mainly with Parallels on 2016-2018 MacbookPros. The Challence: Install Win 10 accross a subsection of Macs with SSDs especially newer ones and make a video telling me if I am right or shaming me if I'm wrong!  

If you need my help I'm in Washington state only a "reletively" short drive and I would love to help out!