Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Budget Mini ITX Build?
I have always been fascinated by those ultra compact cases (Dancase A4-SFX, Sentry 2.0, Ncase M1, etc.)
but they are so expensive! (like $200)

I have a plan to build a system with a full size Vega 64 and 2600 in an old Acer Aspire X1420G (9.8 liters) that I got for $46, Once I get actual measurements Ill post a forum thread on it. (it involves a quite jank PSU setup using a server PSU w/ breakout board for mining and a Pico PSU...)

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

On 4/8/2019 at 12:44 AM, boogi3 said:

[Video Request] UPS systems general information and buyers guide

while searching these forms and youtube for my self, i found that this would make for a awesome video

Topics

• intro
  • sponsor
  • general information
  • what to look for
  • difference between watts and volt-amps
  • basic suggestions
  • how to find out what you need (voltage meter) *do the math
  • price to performance and how not to overpay?
  • tiers suggestions
    • basic
    • causal run of the mill gamer (needing to finish a level before shut down)
    • OC OP gaming computer (its not over till i say its over)
    • the apocalypse came? i didn't notice...
  • benefits
    • dirty wall energy (scrap yard wars clip insert here) 
    • may help overclocking
    • may prevent harm to your system
    • having your internet on one to keep your internet running during a black out
    • other uses
      • other uses - insert joke, james with long blonde hair and a curling iron. why? reasons ( o.O )
  • things i missed, or need to be mentioned... 
  • topics from the thread?

END

I came to request this very idea, happened to hit a random page, and found this sitting at the top.

Coincidence? Yes, this fits the literal definition for coincidence. 

I have been a Field Service Tech for various UPS', generators, and power quality for about 7 years, and I would absolutely love to see LTT do a proper video on the pros and cons of each different type of UPS system (standby, line-interactive, and true-online / double-conversion), the benefits of power conditioning, and the difference between industrial vs consumer needs. 

This could even be covered in a techquickie video!

Far too often have I seen people make uninformed decisions, then try to justify those decisions as they complain about what they purchased.

Ukrainian secondary market is full of old server Intel CPU-based builds from like 2010 and 2011. People buy old server Intels like Xeon X5670 (also Xeon X5570 or even X3450) or desktops like i7-2600, pack it into a shiny RGB case, add 120 Gb cheapo SSD, GTX 1060 and the cheapest 500W power supply and try to sell these as "gaming beasts" (advertising it like 6 CORES 12 THREADS BEAST!). Besides all the old standards and connectivity options (like DDR3, USB 2.0 and stuff) I wonder if there's like any reason to buy these for like a work PC? It looks like a scam though since I doubt that an 8 y.o. server CPU even with 12 Gb DDR3 memory can handle frames for GTX 1060 and not choke the life out of it.

Review the Alienware AW3418DW Ultrawide! Tom's Hardware apparently got a delta e coverage of about 0.2 and 127% of the RGB gamut. For $850 lately, its an amazing monitor from my own testing and might be a "wide" contender against the Acer equivalent. I think Linus would super like this monitor!

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB

JENK BUDGET BUILD COMPETITIONS

I was actually planning on starting a YouTube channel with this being my first series, but would gladly turn the idea over to you guys as I believe you could do it better justice than I.

IDEA: 

Assign a really jenky budget to someone or a group of people to build a barely functional rig(s) that they will then use to compete in a challenge with against other people/teams. Scoring would come down to mainly 3 categories: %30 benchmarks, %50 main challenge, %20 from seeing if the rig can be flipped for a profit. Basically the person or team would be told what the challenge was going to be and then have a day to surf eBay, Craigslist, Amazon, or maybe even the surrounding neighborhood to put in the orders for the parts they would need. Once all the parts are in, PCs would be assembled for benchmarking and the challenge would begin sometime following. Once the challenge is over, the participants could be given something like a week to try and flip their rig(s) for a profit in order to earn some extra points. As for a prize, I personally like the idea of a comical punishment being bestowed upon the losing team or something to that effect. Ultimately, it would be up to you.

EXAMPLES:

1. $250 workstation

Challenge: Use Blender to create a 3         minute 3D animated movie that's             %100 solo/team developed (i.e. no           downloading or using premade                 assets).

Time limit for challenge: 2 hours

Judges: LMG's graphic developers

2. $200 2v2 LAN party (Halo)

Challenge: Split the budget to                     assemble 2 PCs capable of playing           Halo: Master Chief Collection and             face off in a battle or tournament of         2v2 matches.

Time limit for challenge: varied

Judges: Scoreboard

I have way more ideas for challenges and I assume you wouldn't have any trouble finding additional challenges either, but I think you get the idea. 

Thanks for hearing me out, and if you could, please let me know what you guys think of the idea, even if you don't think it's for you. 

You guys rock, keep it up ?

You have helped fellow Youtubers with hardware before.
Maybe you could help out egod123/egodbout2. He's making, to my knowledge, the only Blizzard approved HD Remake of Diablo 2:LoD. He is located in Canada if I remember correctly.
At the moment he doesn't seem that active on Youtube, but a lot of updates on Facebook and Twitch. He has a Discord channel as well.

This guy seem to be in need of better equipment. At least check him out :).

I'd love to see some videos related to GPU Server(s) and Workstations. 

On 3/20/2019 at 10:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

I hope you guys are going to make a video about the new amd epyc serie

Playing today's games on the Lowest possible settings! 

GPU: RTX 3060Ti 8GB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz  

Mobo: B450M-K

Keyboard: Logitech G915

Mouse: Logitch G502 HERO Lightspeed

Audio: BeyerDynamic Tygr 300R

WORK AT HOME OFFICE SETUP AND BEST WORK FROM HOME EQUIPMENT: I work from home for Amazon. During Prime Week I worked 11 hours a day. I have a horrible office/gaming chair. It was miserable. I would love a work from home office setup video. What is the most comfortable chair for long hours. What is the best gaming headset that also doubles for talking to customers, I would also love some carpal tunnel prevention devices reviews. I've seen gloves, gel filled wrist rests, gloves with wrist rests. I am updating my home office so anything that makes working on a computer for sometimes 11 hours at a time comfortable would be a plus. We are getting new Lenovo computers. I would love to know how to set up my desk where I can use my three monitors, keyboard and mouse with both computers. The Lenovo computer is small and I plan on mounting it under my desk. I just hate unhooking my headset, keyboard, and mouse and plugging it into the other computer. Thank you!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor Motherboard: N7-B55XT-W1: [US-3DTC1-N] N7 B550 Motherboard - AMD B550 Chipset with Wi-Fi and White Cover  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Gaming OC 3X Video Card Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower White with Tempered glass  Storage: WD_BLACK 2TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 5,150 MB/s   PSU: CORSAIR RM Series (2021), White, RM850, 850 Watt, 80 Plus Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply Display(s): 1xMSI Optix MAG272CRX 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor 2x ASUS VZ239H-W 23" Full HD 1080p IPS HDMI VGA Eye Care Monitor Cooling: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition: 5G Optical Sensor 16,000 DPI Sound: Audio-Technia ATH-M20x Professional studio monitor Headphones, black.  Operating System: Linux Pop!_OS with KDE Plasma desktop environment Mic: Elgato Wave:3

linktr.ee/Elektra57

Hi from Brazil!

I have a suggestion about a simple experimentation on cooling. I've heard several years ago that some people took the extreme measure of sanding the surface of the microprocessor to optimize the heat transfer, making it as smooth as a mirror. Supposedly, this surface treatment would increase the direct contact between the processor and the cooler and then increase the heat transfer.

With this concept in my mind - that a direct contact between both surfaces provides the best possible heat transfer - I began to apply a simpler technique that seems to work. I never really tested not applying this technique to see if it makes any difference, I always apply it, and I think you are the best ones to do experiments on that. If it works, everybody will benefit from it because it's very easy to do.

So, what is this technique?

It's quite simple. The idea in not sanding the surface of the processor nor avoiding the thermal paste. What I do is apply the thermal paste as usual (as little as possible) and, after placing the cooler on the processor, and before tightening the screws, I slide the cooler left and right and back and forth several times (like drawing a cross) while applying some pressure on the cooler against the processor. After that immediately tighten the cooler, preferably while keeping the pressure on the cooler. The effect of the sliding causes is to spread the thermal paste more evenly across the surfaces in contact and expel the excess to the borders. Of course, even with the screws of the cooler loosen, the cooler still does not have too much freedom to move, just some millimeters, but sliding it several times (I didn't count) will reach the desired effect.

To make this technique easier to understand, take an Oreo (the sandwich cookie) and try to squeeze it. It will probably break and the cream in the middle will barely move. Now try squeezing it while sliding sideways. Most of the cream will be expelled from the middle and the wafers will touch each other applying much less pressure. That's the whole idea.

Now, you may want to know what results I've got so far. Well, I'm not a moder nor do experiments on cooling, but what I managed to get was temperatures at about 88°C with the stock cooler of my old Core i7 2600 at 100% CPU in all cores - now I use only a laptop. In contrast, a friend of mine, which had an Intel i7 of the 4 thousands series, said to me he had to buy a special cooler because the stock cooler was not being enough (temperatures going over 100°C). He installed the cooler the way everybody does. Since there are several differences between both setups I cannot ensure that my technique worked so well, so here am I suggesting this to you.

Finally, since we're talking about simple experiments on cooling, if you decide to make a video about this technique, you could test the other techniques too. I would suggest that one about sanding the surface of the processor, and, taking the opportunity that you already have a processor with a surface smooth like that, to test it without the thermal paste.

I hope this suggestion is useful!

Best regards,

José Roberto

Edited by Jose Roberto
Typo

Sequels with the 106 mining card. the Protorious guy offered to help since the last video was not exactly what he meant and different suggestions and thoughts came up on Youtube.

So linustechtips can you create a video explaining how use ultra wide screen for streaming rather than using multiple monitor and also which one is the best for it. I check all over the Youtube and only found just 1 or 2 videos related to this topic and they were not in much detail.

@Rinku555 merged your post in with the LTT Video Suggestions thread where the LTT staff can see it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Temperature delta in an identical loop with an all aluminum setup vs all copper setup with heat soaking to the loop done.  Is the difference really that much or does the amount of radiator surface area play a much larger role than the materials utilized.  As a mixed metals loop guy my temps are beautiful but I don't have an all aluminum example nor an all copper example for myself lol.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Can we get some more Brandon videos? I know there was the quip about lighting on the panel at LTX but it would be great to have more camera gear content. Things like:

- Should you go mirrorless in 2019

- An idiots guide to why some DSLRs are more expensive than others 

- A behind the scenes look at set lighting (and why it's important)

Fitness Desk 3000

I saw the old FitnessDesk 2000 video where you had to exercise to get power to the PC. Now the next step would be to make a version dedicated to games by adjusting the concept a bit. My idea is as follows:

Use the human input energy (exercise) to cool CPU and GPU. Modern Cpu's and Gpu's run faster when better cooled, so for our gamer he will need to exercise more for a better FPS. The implementation would require the exercise machine to mechanically or electrically power the pump and fans for a water cooled pc. The pc runs off wall power as normal. 

This project would be ideal for Alex and his new Workshop.

Please make a video on Home Assistant! It is a DIY open source smart home hub that connects everything smart together and you can make automations and a custom UI and if you want to hide from companies, run it all offline. Think of the automations like IFTTT on steroids, and the UI known as Lovelace UI, like the most customizable UI ever. It can run on a low power PC or even something like a $35 raspberry pi 3 just fine, and people also use things like intel NUCs.

Here are some cool things about it:

• It integrates with motion eye, the same thing you used for your DIY camera video
  • You know how you mentioned Chainberlain charges a monthly subscription for Google Assistant and IFTTT? Well, you just integrate your MyQ Garage with Home Assistant, and boom, better than IFTTT. And you can also connect home assistant to google assistant, so basically you won.
  • Everything has an integration. Roku, playstation, Google Cast, cameras, speakers, zwave, bulbs, dryers, motion sensors, vaccums, sirens, you name it.

The Lovelace UI is super customizable and fun.

The automations are also fun

"When TV in living room starts playing a movie, dim the lights."

"When my phone isnt connected to Wi-Fi anymore, Arm the security system and lock all doors."

"if alarm is triggered, turn all lights to red, and play siren.mp3 on Google Home Mini in kitchen, and Chromecast in family room."

"when doorbell rings, play video on chromecast in living room and send message to everyone via hangouts."

And recently they added Home Assistant Cast, allowing you to cast your UI to any GOogle cast device with a screen such as chromcast, android tv, Nest hub, etc.

Also you can do fun stuff, like a amazon dash "party button".

When it is pressed you could play music on all speakers, and make all lights different colors.

Idk, it is just fun in my opinion and not only you get to mess around with it and probably make a pretty interestiing video, but more people will discover it and create integrations for it.

Also if you do end up doing a video on this, I recommend installing hass.io, which is their simple easy to install version.

Then after flashing it to SD card (assuming it is on a Raspberry Pi), you find the ip of the raspberry pi. The simplest way to access is to go in a browser and type (ip-address):8123. You will then set it up and you can install the addon called "configurator", so you can access the files easily.

I hope you liked my idea, bye.

Edit: yes i know ive already posted this.

Edit2: You can see a basic demo of lovelace herehttps://demo.home-assistant.io/#/lovelace/0

Home made arcade cabinet. Make it a scrapyard wars. $1500 Limit

This is a request i have, not on only for Linus, but for all other Tech Review channels.

VR seems to be here to stay, with more and more headsets and games being released.

Please include a game ran in VR in your gpu/cpu benchmarks. We want to see the difference between them, as i do not expect them to be proportional with the 1080/1440p results.

Also, would love to hear how AMD's new Sharpening goes with VR and if it improves anything.

I

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor Motherboard: N7-B55XT-W1: [US-3DTC1-N] N7 B550 Motherboard - AMD B550 Chipset with Wi-Fi and White Cover  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Gaming OC 3X Video Card Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275R ATX Mid Tower White with Tempered glass  Storage: WD_BLACK 2TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 5,150 MB/s   PSU: CORSAIR RM Series (2021), White, RM850, 850 Watt, 80 Plus Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply Display(s): 1xMSI Optix MAG272CRX 27.0" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor 2x ASUS VZ239H-W 23" Full HD 1080p IPS HDMI VGA Eye Care Monitor Cooling: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition: 5G Optical Sensor 16,000 DPI Sound: Audio-Technia ATH-M20x Professional studio monitor Headphones, black.  Operating System: Linux Pop!_OS with KDE Plasma desktop environment Mic: Elgato Wave:3

linktr.ee/Elektra57

Tip one:

You have made allot of what you get for what $.

But how does an old hi end build stack up to todays in 1080p gaming.

shure the difference is huge in 4K

like my build:

Motherbord: MSI X99S GAMING 7, 2011-v3

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K LGA2011-3

GPU: 2x MSI GeForce GTX 980 Gaming 4GB

PSU: Corsair RM750, 750W

RAM: HyperX Fury 2133MHz 16GB

HDD: 2x Samsung 850PRO 256GB in raid 0 "for OS"

HDD: 4x Samsung EVO 500GB in storage space

Monitor: 3x 24» EIZO eizo foris fg2421

Case: Fractal Design Define S Black 

When i build this back in late 14 this was as good as it gets "almost" and set me back around 3000$   "32000NOK" 

i have never had it fail and have not seen any reason to upgrade. and i can hardly find anything online on what i can gain on an upgrade "talking 1080p gaming"

work 220 hour a month and have kids so upgrading all the way to 4k does not seem to be worth the cost on changing all 3 screens.

Tip two:

Is there any good competitive products to ubiqiti/unifi for a good network in an 200scarefeet over 2 floors.

seems like in my case i need 2 or 3 AP. a PoE switch cloud key "do not want to host it in a wm" 

this wil cost med around 700$

any other good solutions/ products you are aware of?

The World Scout Jamboree was a couple of weeks ago, at the world scout jamboree At+t provided a massive WiFi solution for all attendees. I think it would be cool if we could see how that system was set up. The National Boy Scout Jamboree was also held there in years past. It is The Summit Bechtel Reserve in West Virginia, USA. It is used year round as a high adventure camp when the jamborees are not taking place.3sCPozFgVPR4Bo8TTl2VODTtEufSQx9fWMistHcPNzn1Zz-f7hJONt-iEeoJkiXwtZZW0dhl3WrQjAoDvTFBZ07wTh_feyzJyzbB75nN3mbcuWjuuwKYYFJHkY_9jfVS6TQ6jk8fVMyGfzjw9LQuoX283nxB-ECWpkI4h-Iy3VMqDWhPPn7V4aMGIeshcxhaZHOu-rk6ceGK7ZJ8pn5IXYvR-EkI5_m0FxmM0a_BtoosPA34q1zNmxBQiYMv2rzR_KxF8hhkBcnvsRhzIbxk38Fro9-aLwY8A3hRDG7DngV0tP1flHaOjwPYWzaxpeHSt-iL7P32wKJbmrntMzEn8x_26Zb8Ok-73FhD2omUbjMsHilkGIxg1KP2NbhVNg5EjWTmeNMKsQVt8AhupJ5IhG9zwrsD1G1bK01Av03jTKFW5_dw8R9Dl_UHFu2zqV0xgHn5V9COCbe0ecWBNZfdI0Sj3EL9iXCB8vmBam0a6ExSVzzoLJzVHtFkwUcgNytXUzJxp1znC_Fba3Xp6DTauwi-53X0OH7FNgWF62sakgINnmrWpLwupiThr9cx9hkrf5I6VsyUsi-pq4SXYdi1CHh6fQsLELbgmzU_O8z1iaPxnALL1LZv2oszboCTSDl6RZ5F-jpc6ecWlFXJf_9kwLeKK35IqHrQ=w727-h969-no