Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

So, 2 years ago a bought a note 9 following a positive review of Linus.
I'm not super rich so it was quite the investment for me and i was planning to use it also as a mini-pc doking it to nextdek o something similar.
Two months ago i was using the phone than the screen suddently went green, I was surfing facebook doing nothing unusual, than started to get hotter and hotter (it burned my hand where it was in concact with the metal strip), so hot I was in panic because i was seriusly considering it was gonna explode.
I looked online to have some insights and... it's a common bug of the Note9, the screen will freeze green if you do not tap to wake it before unlocking it and also it'll became slower and hotter.
No one knows the real problem, someone says that was a bugged software update did by Samsung to cause this brick, someone else says that is a problem of the Exinos used in the european version of the Note 9 where the bug is more common.
The only things everybody suggest is that you have to replace your screen (I do not really understand this, the screen works just fine when it's not bugged), that is not something covered by the warranty because Samsung does not consider this beaviour of the phone to be their fault, so you have to pay 250 euros for new screen that is not sure it will last because no one really know what the problem is.

I would love to see a video of linus about this, i always see his old note 9 in his hands when he does some videos so i know he is someone that cares about it and i think there is a lot to uncover on it, also because the Samsung replacement politic was very s****y
If you have some question to ask on the topic i'll gladly respond if i can.
If you have some solution you will make me very happy (i replaced the note 9 with a PocoM3 and I'm not very happy rn)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/IROVF-XG-Fiber-Optic-HDMI-2-1-Cable-Integrated-Extender-4K-8K-120Hz-HDR-Smart-TVs-Projectors-Home-Theater-Receivers-Gaming-AV-Best-Connection-Install/142858800

Test this, sounds really promising 

Considering the recent "Heat Dome" that has affected the Pacific Northwest, I would love to see a video on the subject of technology that can be used to fight global warming, especially tech that normal people can employ now. IDK about other people here, but I have started to feel growing dread and anxiety about the future, and it would be good to see people talking about this more.

Upgrade motherboard onboard WiFi!

I just did it. I went from wireless AC to WiFi 6 and my internet speed tests went from 230mbps to maxing out my Xfinity connection with 450mbps.

Using this method, you do not take up an additional M.2 or pci slot and you reuse your motherboard’s existing antennas!

I have an Asrock Z370 Taichi board and in device manager it showed Intel wireless 3168 so I went to Intel’s site https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/94854/intel-dual-band-wirelessac-3168.html and the specs show it’s a M.2 2230 pcie interface card (the other possible interface type is CNVio2)

Then I looked at Intel’s WiFi 6 offerings and found their AX200 card to match (I would have gotten the AX201 if my motherboard came with a CNVio2 card)

The process for me to swap the cards was to remove the motherboard from the case, remove the IO plastic shroud thingy, unscrew and pull out the integrated WiFi cage, take the cage apart and swap the cards, reusing the antenna cables. All you need is 20 bucks and an iFixit Mahi driver kit 😉

Hey Linus, I think it would be cool to do a pc build using a roulette, for example to choose the motherboard , spin the roulette and see what you get, then to choose the cpu put all the compatible options, and spin the roulette again.

I have a very bad pc, and if you want to you can send me the build( Just if he wants) (I can't even play minecraft on my pc)

Hello LMG,

looking back at your past catalog videos which I watch over and over I watched the video you done on the quadjoy mouse that highlights how some disabled use alternative mouse input

my suggestion 

You could take a look at a piece of software called JAWS by freedom scientific, it is an essential piece of software used by the blind, called a screen reader and JAWS is the most commonly used one it’s expensive however there’s alternatives such as NVDA However there’s also built in screen readers, windows narrator and for Mac/iOS voiceover

we as blind people often get plagued with how do you use a computer and this would really help educate especially a tech Davy community 

thank you for all the great videos 

A new free money internet thing that needs testing from the LTT team.
913006127_FreeMoneySoftware.thumb.png.23bc3f53bf7159920eb603202e664a33.png

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

A UK/EU pre-built system show off like the US one 

so the same as the DELL/HP (ect) show down but for the uk manufacturers, 

there are alot of companies in the uk that sell prebuilds to name a few: 

Scan/CCL computers/Chill blast/Overclockers UK/Cyberpower/Box.co.uk

I have a suggestion for a video

I watched one of Linus's videos, where he had the TIP TOP of the line Dell Precision laptop. In one of comparisons in this video, they compared the gaming ability of this Precision laptop (at a price of about 12K) against an Alienware (R4 I believe). The Alienware beat it out running Shadow Of The Tomb Raider, but not by much. The thing would game respectably.

The next comparison, one of their viewers (a college kid with a real POS machine) sent them a scientific simulation he was doing for a class. He couldn't even run it on his laptop. Linus and Co used this to compare the Precision against a MacBook pro. The Precision ran the simulation in roughly 30 seconds. The Mac, well.....not so much.

HERE IS MY SUGGESTION.

I would have REALLY loved to have seen the Alienware in that comparison against the Precision and the Mac. While I don't do simulations like that, my work requires that I have machines that DO have a "heavy lifting" capability when it comes to processing and graphics. And I am MORE than positive that my bosses won't pony up for a machine that costs 12k ( I actually buy my own machines so I don't have to run their craptastic laptops). I generally buy gaming machines because traditionally they were the heavy lifters of the computer world. But with the graphics card taking more and more load off the CPU, I'm beginning to wonder how sound my logic now is. I realize the Precision would BEAT the Alienware rendering the scientific simulation, but what I'd like to know is BY HOW MUCH. Think it would be interesting to see by what margin the top of the line Dell business machine would do against a top of the line Dell gaming machine in a scientific heavy lifting contest.

Gunner

You should try to see if you can use diamond for a cooling solution because of it’s extreme thermal conductivity . I know that seems pricy but I’m fairly sure you can get artificially made diamond for relatively cheap. Maybe find some dust and put it in a custom water loop. although I’ve done no research on the idea just though it has the potential to be interesting.

So first things first hello everyone!!!

And also I have an idea for a video that I think would be an interesting project to see on linus tech tips one that I have even tried myself and "succeeded" but would like to see actual engineers to try. This project is an upgradeable laptop that uses off the shelf parts that anyone can use. This idea has come about as I have recently seen the new upgradable laptop on their main channel and thought that this idea would be a good progression from it. The reason being is that while the laptop in the video was upgradable it wasn't the level of upgradability that I would have like to seen or many "gamers" or "enthusiast" would have like to seen. Id be great to see a no compromises portable laptop that is portable, powerful, and most important upgradeable. 

Now I did mention that I have done this my self and its actually surprisingly easy to do, though to be fair how I made it was really bad and my classmates and even my teacher nicknamed it "the bomb" as I almost caused a fire when i crossed the red and black on accident while working with a battery. But almost burning down my school aside it worked and i was able to get it to work with a massive lipo battery. It was also fairly small considering I had a gpu and a desktop mother board tho the size of the mobo was mini atx and the gpu was an old and small one.

One thing I would love to see from this if this were to ever be a thing is a guide and some auto cad schematics that allow anyone to make their own portable laptop shell. 

Anyway hello and I hope that you all have a wonderful day 🙂

7 minutes ago, Civi said:

So first things first hello everyone!!!

merged to video idea thread

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

What about a video over a photonic processors, currently only really applicable in super computers and algebra intensive workloads, that could eventually be a possible next evolution to the CPU and GPU in the future.

With Anthony's joke from the Why Are Circuit Boards Green video, now I wanna see LTT do a video on growing a plant in a PC. If it's water cooled, the plant can get water from the reservoir and they would just top off the reservoir every once in a while

4 hours ago, BenKroll said:

What about a video over a photonic processors, currently only really applicable in super computers and algebra intensive workloads, that could eventually be a possible next evolution to the CPU and GPU in the future.

Apparently these guys are launching first commercial photonic accelerator later this year. Good opportunity to bring up the subject.

Linus told us all about how repairable the FrameWork laptop is, I'd love to see him show us. Maybe do an iFixIt style teardown of the device, pull everything apart just how easy it actually is. It might be kinda nice to cohost with Anthony to also do some Linux content since the DIY version does come with a "No Operating System Included" option (but that sounds like a different video).

Laptop Repairability Showdown!

Get a few of the most repairable laptops from IFixit to face off against each other in a secrete shopper style repair call. Scores would be based on the cost of the repair, how long would you have to go without the laptop, and will they do it at all. Then contrast that by doing the repairs your self buying parts and repairing them all on camera.

Getting at least one popular laptop as a control would be a very good idea.
Adding the framework into the Showdown would be a great way of giving them unbiased coverage and demonstrating how bad the state of repair actually is for most laptops.

The thought would be to make this a multi part series.

Video #1

Talking about your methods for picking each contestant.
Obtaining the laptops. Not so much the buying process more the over all laptop. It's possible that some of them haven't been featured at least not recently.
Stating the testing methodology and processes as well as laying out a roadmap for the rest of the videos.

Video #2

Secrete shopper style call the venders for 3 different common repairs of each machine.
Battery life, Screen damage, and change port/USB port problems.

Video #3

Buy the parts for each repair.
Do each repair on camera to show how difficult or easy it is.

Video #4

Announce the winner of the Showdown.
Talk about right to repair and how it would have made this easier.

Video #5?

Talk to independent/unauthorized repair shops for these products.

Linus should do a Hoover technology video and consider fitting a central Hoover system in his new house with the extract through the walls and blown outside. Normal hoover's recirculate dust in the house making a never ending cycle not sure what the percentages are. 

https://www.webmd.com/allergies/news/20120106/are-vacuum-cleaners-bad-for-health

Hi in one hand I love PC building videos on the other hand I think I've seen enough of them with Linus so here's a suggestion:

Could be fun is to have some non-tech people or just people that have something to say make videos building a PC while they talk about their stuff.

Here's my random short list:

Agnes Callard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yjjYq-Z-z0&t=1s

Dr. Becky: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYNbYGl89UUowy8oXkipC-Q

Negah Santos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjfEnIhynqhlhu9K9V42oHg

Dirty Biology: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bybfg00hakc

Dasha Navalnaya: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ridVDq3jVu0

Jena Friedman:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeMLgv5EQu8

Julia Galef: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz-RZblnhjXK_krP1jDybeQ

Alison Roman: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP2dODeygZWBJe2xoby-XzQ

Sophie Okonedo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeX5HMZ4Cn0

Casey Muratori: https://www.youtube.com/user/handmadeheroarchive

Eddie Woo: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq0EGvLTyy-LLT1oUSO_0FQ

Katharina Pistor: https://www.law.columbia.edu/faculty/katharina-pistor

please consider making a comprehensive review of Security Suit applications for windows 10.

there are so many to choose from and LLT has the hardware and staff to run an evaluation on all of the to see which impact the hardware the least, catch the most threats, with least false positives (such as claiming that games are malware, mainstream cryptomining are backdoors. etc). 

got a somewhat problematic topic i would time some more insight in a 20min format with research not done by me. 🙂 

Blu-ray Ripping (on Windows) and it's made up hassles

With how pricey bd drives are and how cheap tvs have become, i find it way cheaper to rock a plex server.

(oh and tvs/sound bars may not even have enough input ports)

Problematic could be that it is often illegal to "break" a working copy protection, even if it is legal to have a private copy of a media you bought.

Yeah i know problematic may be a bit of a understatement.

Correct me if i'm wrong, learning is a lifelong mission

In the WAN show pre-show, a couple of weeks ago, Linus mentioned having a second name, in case he would end up "in a different social class" in life, and could then use that name to fit right in.

I would suggest making a series of videos, or even better, a dedicated channel, for flashy, over the top, entertainment-centered, simple and possibly satirical videos about tech, for products that the main channel would not necessarily talk about; but that the community would like to see videos on.

Not sure if that is a good idea, but it is an idea. Do with it whatever you will 🙂

Isn't windows three-sixty-five just a more recent version of windows three-eleven?

I just got hooked on the latest consumer  Medtech Trend = continuous glucose monitoring (CGM)

I would love to see a Linus style review of this medtech Trend. It’s something else and not so Gamer focused, but it’s incredible and two companies Levels and Veri seem to be taking over this space for now. The trackers itself come from Freestyle Libre and those two companies provide the apps to read and analyze the blood glucose data.

I am a mixed bag of tech and health enthusiast, so that’s totally in my ball park. At the same time, such monitors only used to be available for diabetics, which also include an automated insulin injection system. This can actually be amazing for prevention.

As far as I can tell medtech content is quite rare on the channel, so I hope you won’t ignore this 😁

Cheers

Solid