Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

What I would like to suggest is a video a about PC cases. What case is right for the job. Airflow vs Sound damping, what case to use for an APU. What is the recommended case for office, video editing, programming, gaming to use? 
It is quite "simple" to figure out what CPU platform you need, based on you personal needs, bit it turns out choosing the right PC case for the job is a pita. 

3 hours ago, 7heo said:

In the WAN show pre-show, a couple of weeks ago, Linus mentioned having a second name, in case he would end up "in a different social class" in life, and could then use that name to fit right in.

I would suggest making a series of videos, or even better, a dedicated channel, for flashy, over the top, entertainment-centered, simple and possibly satirical videos about tech, for products that the main channel would not necessarily talk about; but that the community would like to see videos on.

Not sure if that is a good idea, but it is an idea. Do with it whatever you will 🙂

Merged to video suggestion thread.

Personal opinion: That would require someone with actual talent on fictional writing. And tech knowledge. And people who can actually act.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

Merged to video suggestion thread

I don't think anyone will understand without the title of the thread

Edit: I don't know if it's a valid merge, actually: I suggested a new channel, or video series. This thread is about single videos, isn't it?

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

Personal opinion: That would require someone with actual talent on fictional writing. And tech knowledge. And people who can actually act.

That is valid, I did not think of the acting. Maybe it's a bit far fetched then.

Isn't windows three-sixty-five just a more recent version of windows three-eleven?

Video idea: Energy efficient home server.

The combination of components is key and can become complex. This also changes with the release of new architectures and technologies.

The power draw of components in idle state and with load is important.

I would like to know what combinations of components are good in different price points. (Motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU & cooling)

What impact do HDD's have when implementing a NAS?

Does adding a GPU make a difference when its not used and what is the entry point GPU for plex decoding?

How do you scale up when you're in need of more resources? Is it best to change parts or add a node?

Another video idea: This envolves the strengths and weaknesses of x86 and ARM architectures for home server use.

ARM powered NAS servers are lightweight but could be not powerful enough for some use cases. Availability of some boards, number of sata ports, sd card as boot device and compute power are things to consider.

X86 offers powerful compute and more software availability. It's generally more capable and extensible, but at a cost of energy efficiency.

I think a dream environment would have a x86 NAS as main that facilitates storage for clustered compute servers. The compute would exists as both x86 and ARM enabling high and low power workloads (your services such as personal cloud, video streaming etc). Ideally hardware could even be shut off and powered back on remotely. A ARM powered secondary NAS could act as backup storage and can even be in a different location.

I'm sure you guys can approach these topics and address these questions better than I did.

How to upgrade and set up new network connection hardware; routers, switches, etc.

Asking for an actual Linus 'Tech Tip' video:

Just watched the recent Juniper Networks product, re wifi at your office video ... and left me thinking.

Theres a lot of people out here, who would like to upgrade their router, switches, wifi systems in our house or small offices ... since we cant buy GPUs anyways ... we might as well do something constructive.   The problem is we all go to Amazon and surf routers and switches ... then we back away slowly as it gets complex in a hurry.  This is the spot a good tutorial can slide in and help.

More detail:

Like most viewers, I'm not an IT professional, and I dont need anywhere near the level of wifi complexity in the Juniper video ... but ... like most users, I'm still using an ISP provided (like my Telus) router and switch coming off of their fibre optic line and box.  I even have their wifi booster, but I really want to upgrade all the above (better stuff, no rental $, etc), with a couple more switch ports, but am afraid, as the language and lingo of this particular angle of tech is very 'in house' and singular, therefore is overwhelming.  Regular computer tech understandings just dont translate to network connections and settings.

Can you guys do an actual tech tip video about replacing this stuff and setting it up, BUT AT THE BEGINNER LEVEL.
That matters, cause when Jake gets on a roll with this topic, he loses a lot of people.

Obviously as ISP's are all different, theres a huge difference in how stuff is set up, but within all that, generalisations are possible, like:

- Problem solving the hardware to buy
- Plugging in new hardware,
- Cat 5,6,7 ...

- Common Gateway settings,

- When do I 'have to' call my ISP to fix anything,
- What if we have a NAS that can take 2.5G,
- wifi booster setup,

- ???

Obviously there are issues with fully showing ISP settings, as it shows the example systems address, but there has to be a way to build a test/tutorial rig with Telus assisting with a new temp address, so you dont have to hide anything.

I was thinking that Linus' new house might be an opportunity, but that will be much more complex than your average user.

LTT does a great job on new tech, explaining high end tech and stuff, but actual tutorials that actual people need, like upgrading the average users network hardware ... stuff everyone has, kind of has taken a back seat.

Hi, can you make video about this

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/gaming-pcs/8/423243/rtx-3090-and-occasional-pc-shutdowns-during-gaming/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/i-just-installed-rtx-3090-my-pc-shuts-down-after-i-play-rust-ark-on-maximum-settings.3648337/

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/hard-power-off-with-3090-under-load.18919381/

It seem many people are having the same problem with 3090 (me included) and can't figure out real solution to this mystery.
It would be enlighten to learn about what happening to the system.

System

CPU : i9-10900K Cooler : Noctua NH D-15 Chromax Black

Motherboard : ROG Maximus Hero XII Wifi

RAM : 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4266MHz(19-19-19-39)

GPU : ROG Strix RTX 3090 O24G

Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus

PSU ROG Thor 1200W

Display MSI MPG341CQR

Keyboard : Steelseries Apex Pro

Mouse : ROG Gladius II

Sound Audeze Mobius

The Smachz handheld gaming PC is advertising 2.7TF and has modular inputs. I'm curious to see if this is legit. Here's the link to their site. https://www.smachz.com/en/

2 hours ago, Dev82 said:

The Smachz handheld gaming PC is advertising 2.7TF and has modular inputs. I'm curious to see if this is legit.

The Smach Z was already considered a scam 4 years ago and still hasn't delivered. StopDrop&Retro has a bunch of videos about it. Even if it was to ever come out it'd be with woefully outdated harrdware, and it's even more unlikely now that the Steam Deck is basically what it was supposed to be, but better and cheaper.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Microsoft just released it's Windows 365 to the public on 2nd August. 

On 3/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Linus should focus more on environmental concerns while using technology. He can install solar panels in his new house to set off the carbon footprint and focus towards a carbon neutral lifestyle, if not carbon negative because being a tech enthusiast a lot of energy is used in powering the electronics. He should use the in-floor heating and air conditioning using green energy. This will not only help the environment today but also set an example in the whole YouTube community Linus Tech Tips being a major channel with several sister channels.

He can do the whole thing DIY which keeps up with his open source motto and may take help of Brian, the Electrician. A video series on this may eventually lead to net zero on very less cost on Linus' part and be a great motivation towards green technology. 

Lets not forget that Linus brought the new house for his kids and he should also ensure that they have a safe and healthy future.

"With great power comes great responsibility" ~ Peter Parker

Edited by Nath Rivu

I know there was a video a while back about making a low powered gaming pc but with recent events involving Alienware now would be a great time to revisit the topic and make a video about how we can game in an environmentally friendly way. Also a video on other ways we can use technology to be kind to the environment could be cool.

1 hour ago, upchur09 said:

I know there was a video a while back about making a low powered gaming pc but with recent events involving Alienware now would be a great time to revisit the topic and make a video about how we can game in an environmentally friendly way. Also a video on other ways we can use technology to be kind to the environment could be cool.

Yes it was a while ago and the topic was never covered again. Linus can even install green energy solution to the fullest and sell the excess back to the grid, if it is allowed, after storing and using. A DIY version of Tesla's PowerWall and open source.

During a recent heat wave in the UK I had an idea. I have a husky, normal British temps are somewhere between 10-20C but it hit 30C, which was hard to handle for me but really hard for the dog. 

I have a cooling mat for him, filled with a gel substance which absorbs a lot of heat. This is great but after a couple of hours it gets warm and becomes useless. He also hates water so that (eg paddling pool) doesn't work.

I was thinking that you could make a video about dog cooling.

Something better than just a gel mat: a foam mat with water cooling tubes throughout. Or to go one step further a copper block for the dog to sit on, acting like a heat spreader.

To go one step further again maybe you could create a portable dog active cooling jacket. Again jackets exist but they're just ice / gel and get hot quickly, and who wouldn't want a noctua-cooled pupper.

Just had a thought regarding the WAN Show. I really enjoy it tremendously and the relationship between Luke and Linus. However, I'd love to see perhaps once a month Linus co-host with a different member of LMG. It would be nice to see the variety it would bring and could be a cool way to also bring new staff/faces into the mix. Honestly, I thought of this when Linus was reading notes Anthony had left on different topics, so I think it could be fun to see Linus bouncing ideas off of Yvonne, Anthony, Madison, Jonathon from MAC Address, and so on. Even staffers who are interested, but maybe are not usually in front of the camera. I think once a month would be enough and still preserve the Linus/Luke dynamic that we love so much.

Please build 1 or 3 Music Production PC's

Maybe one PC to rule them all. Showing what to look for in a Music Production PC and how to select the best parts.

Or 3 PC's with 3 budgets

500$

1000$

2000$

What are the important parts?

How "soundproof" should it be?

What programs could require different hardware?

Maybe optimize the PC for DAW's like FL Studio, Cubase and Ableton, as most other DAW's dont have the same market share.

Please guys, I build 2 music production pc's and struggled hard. I would be so happy to finally see them build one...

Build the best gaming PC possible with integrated graphics. Then test it with some games and settings.

I'd love to see a collaboration with YouTube - NASASpaceFlight

Their coverage of space flights, particularly SpaceX is second to none. They have a fantastic array of tech for filming at distance, remote controls etc. Would be very interesting to see their operation and give them some fantastic and well deserved exposure.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Cook an egg on a hot GPU.

Raspberry Pi 4 Running Windows On Raspberry Project vs Microsoft Surface Pro X

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

Have any interest in making another counterfeit parts video? I can contribute what I believe to be a counterfeit Mushkin MKNSSDEC60GB, bought directly from Newegg.com (not a reseller) Sept 4, 2015.

Happy to mail it out with a backstory, a copy of the Newegg.com invoice, and a signed&notarized letter declaring the drive is Linus's/LTT to keep with no strings attached--no payment, no return of drive, etc.

On 7/27/2021 at 7:19 PM, Carl Johnson W16 said:

Today in another forum i got the screenshots for a certain "fake" GPU, but it seems like it is indeed legit and completely one off, im predicting that it is some sort of internal early development card that got slapped with a cooler and sold. Adding the GPU-Z screenshot below. 

Linus, if you are reading this, i think this is going to be in @YuuKi-AnS territory.

Ekran Görüntüsü (4).png

If you want to confirm whether it is an engineering sample, can you send us a photo of this card for confirmation...?

First post here.  Finally joined up after hitting a roadblock for something as simple us updating software for a keyboard.

So I get a notification letting me know there's an update awaiting my Steelseries Apex 7 keyboard, so I click the notification and am presented with a login screen.  I cannot get past this screen withour signing up for an account.  So in order to update the software/firmware for my keyboard I must grant them access to a certain level of personal information and agree to allow them to no doubt spam market to me.  This is ridiculous!  I just want my software updated.  I paid a MASSIVE premium for this keyboard, I shouldn't need to whore myself to them to get a software update less than a year later.  I'd love to see LTT take the parasites who insist on this rubbish to task.

image.thumb.png.43bf82f29b90efe78e9be17a8557f48c.png

12 hours ago, YuuKi-AnS said:

If you want to confirm whether it is an engineering sample, can you send us a photo of this card for confirmation...?

If i responded late, sorry. 

We did some research on the card and found out it is a Chinese engineering masterpiece. PCB turned out to be from a GTX 460 and the chip turned out to be a cut-down OEM 650 Ti. So its not a rare piece unfortunately, just a "95% legitimate fake" glued on card that seemed to work without issues on GTX 750 drivers. Nonetheless the owner was contacted and offered a legit card for replacement because the card was interesting anyways especially because it worked with drivers that it shouldn't have, but the owner just behaved like we are scammers and disappeared.

I'm adding the other photos that i can find but unfortunately a lot of them are deleted by the owner.

Ekran Görüntüsü (6).png

Ekran Görüntüsü (10).png

IMG_20210727_154521.jpg

IMG_20210727_154658.jpg

IMG_20210727_154703.jpg

Please do a video on this insane 6U! server case with a monitor built into the front. It has a removable motherboard tray and room for the PS underneath. Totally bonkers. You could add speakers inside. Watch movies in your server closet. Seems like a fun idea for a video.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Good-quantity-6U-19inch-atx-server_62381695432.html