Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

What about a video comparing AMD Freesync, Freesync Premium and Freesync Premium Pro (maybe also compared to GSync).

Could be interesting for many to know that the differences are (probably more relevant for TechQuicky) and how differently certified monitors actuall compare to each other.

For example, all standards require low flicker and low latency, which are quite vague things. Also, Premium & Premium Pro require low framerate compensation, etc.

Full showcase of steam in home streaming, and how it works for "out of home streaming". Especially at the LTT studio were the ideal internet connection can allow you to test the minimum limits of a good experience. Also can you get to work on a mobile connection, 4G, 5G?

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

This recent Newegg-owned company named "ABS Computers" has great value prebuilt PCs for a very low price, especially during COVID. There is one catch. Their DOA rate is really high. On one of their product listings, the rate is as high as 33%; on others higher. Even more ridiculous, the replacement PCs they send can also be DOA. There are horror stories of unplugged wires, RAM in the wrong config., GPU not properly seated and more on TOP of the DOA PCs. 

For me personally, my sister bought this PC and it came DOA. They promise they perform "2 hour rigorous testing", but that is clearly contradictory. After a week of waiting for a replacement, they instead gave us a refund (2 weeks in total). 

I would investigate this company, maybe see for yourself. Recommend to look at more of their product listings than just the one I posted below.

The PC we bought: 

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ala237/p/N82E16883360101

Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Newegg/comments/m6o4ul/warning_before_purchasing_abs_prebuilt_computers/ 

More listings:
https://www.newegg.com/abs-computer-technologies-ala210/p/N82E16883102981?Item=N82E16883102981&Tpk=83-102-981 (37% fail/DOA rate)
https://www.newegg.com/abs-computer-technologies-ali385/p/N82E16883102922?Item=N82E16883102922&Tpk=83-102-922 (66% fail/DOA rate)

i seen a recent video where you had a watercooler for a m.2 ssd,well i found an air cooler that looks sick and would love for you guys to review the thing to see if its even worth getting,i mean the price is right so idk,heres the link to it.... https://www.amazon.com/ineo-Rocket-Heatsink-Built-Cooling/dp/B08FX7JZ7H/ref=pd_sbs_4/144-4085569-0828040?pd_rd_w=ndjvb&pf_rd_p=0f56f70f-21e6-4d11-bb4a-bcdb928a3c5a&pf_rd_r=FE5N3VS283PEV23M2K6X&pd_rd_r=b0b6b873-1ad1-4b1a-acf2-78b8474912ed&pd_rd_wg=TFqhH&pd_rd_i=B08FX7JZ7H&psc=1

Can you please review the new Alienware X15 gaming laptop!!

This has probably been asked to death, but what about a guide/series (with Anthony?) on how to make your own Android Smartphone? Or something similar like that. I'm a complete tech noob so it may be a terrible suggestion, but maybe something like this product here could be used 

https://developer.qualcomm.com/hardware/snapdragon-888-hdk

My personal dream is to build my own smartphone inside an actual GBA SP case

Louis Vuitton Horizon Light Up Speaker

Product Page (Canada): Louis Vuitton Horizon Light Up Speaker.

Currently in-stock in Canada. Shipping ETA is sometime in August, 2021.

louis-vuitton-louis-vuitton-horizon-light-up-speaker-technology-items--QAC000_PM1_Worn%20view.png

It's a speaker with a unique design, with Bluetooth / Wi-Fi / Apple AirPlay / Qplay integration, microphones, and reportedly 15 hours of playtime.

Controlled via he Louis Vuitton Connect app. Seems to have Huawei and Qualcomm tech inside it. IDK the full details on functionality and specs, but finding that out could be decent content for a video.

Milk it for a ShortCircuit unboxing and an LTT review and/or teardown, and after that, squeeze it into your videos as a background prop.

The design is wacky and the price is outrageous enough to draw in a lot of YT viewers.

And no other techtuber is going to fork over the money to use it as a desk ornament for all your A-Roll shots:

louis-vuitton-louis-vuitton-horizon-light-up-speaker-technology-items--QAC000_PM1_Ambiance%20view.png

It costs CA$3,850.00, BTW.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

TLDR: Me and likely many others are looking for benchmarks of many different kinds of GPU's to find underappreciated products. Please make LinusT1000Tips and benchmark your inventory on free template algorithms and datasets!

Personal intro:

I've watched most if not all of LMG's content, it has been amazing to follow along and create my own janky contraptions for everyone that would take them. I've been an avid gamer since I played my first 3D game (Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Earth 1). I obtained my Msc in small part thanks to Linus, as he showed me a way to make money in the second hand computer hardware market, which was used to free up more time for studying and gaming :). Fast forward to now: I work as a Data Scientist and my job is to spend most of my day browsing through large databases and feeding all that information through some algorithm to be able to gain some insight or predict something. I got into this because Linus always mentions what modern graphics cards are used for other than gaming, which led me down a rabbit-hole and left me majorly inspired.

Why AI?:

Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, its all the same thing, its amazing, and its largely free and open source. The thing is, it runs on GPU's and requires very specific things from your PC. This makes finding a deal very difficult. I would LOVE for there to be a LinusT1000Tips where I could go and watch you or Anthony or anyone of you benchmark consumer GPU's (and later other components and system combinations) on commonly used, freely available AI algorithms. The large businesses of this world can afford to purchase one of every GPU so their employees can see what works and purchase based on value and requirements. But us self-thought junior Data Scientists working for a small company have no place to go and learn about this particular topic which happens to affect the wallet.

Off the top of my head I can't see this process taking up much resources at all, you've got all the hardware on hand, you really only need to have 1 employee do the work and the tests don't have to take forever as many AI-training tasks are just repeating the same thing over and over you really don't need to do a long test with every single GPU.

How would this work?:

Many of the popular frameworks are also free & open source, there are many but I'm most familiar with Tensorflow, Scikit-Learn, XGBoost and PyTorch. Most of these python libraries contain sample datasets and sample algorithms complete with sample code to combine the two and have a working template. This is most up and coming Data Scientist's first complete working template to do their own thing with. Most of us find out very quickly that our computers are puny and require an upgrade. The discussion available online is overwhelmingly centered around professionals with buckets of money who see their next PC as a money printing machine (and why shouldn't they). So its always about "I built this super specific algorithm using proprietary data and I ran into this very specific error. FF to conclusion: I will be in the market for a new PC, my boss gave me 10k, should I get one or two RTX3090's or try my hand at "proprietary hardware". I exaggerate, but it sure feels like this sometimes.

I want to know: If i take these sample datasets and sample algorithms, that literally everyone can install on a potato anywhere on earth, how big of a difference does going from GTX780ti to RTX3060 12GB make? Which of these algorithms flat out don't work? Which headaches where looming just over the horizon with such and such ultra popular model on such and such GPU? Through painful trial and error I learned that actually, a modern high-end gaming laptop is perfectly capable of getting you to the point of Junior Data Scientist. After you benchmarked the most common cards in a few systems find out if getting 3 RTX3060 12GB's better value than one RTX3080ti's? And for which tasks? How would that make the rest of the pc more expensive? Linus is LORD and SAVIOR when it comes to these specs for gaming, do the same thing for AI. In the process show all the cool algorithms people can download to have fun. Make your own AI to play videogames, make your own AI to water your garden, make your own AI to do Kinect type of things, make your own AI to forecast the weather, make your own AI to do whatever you can imagine really. But it all starts with those sample datasets and algorithms everyone knows and uses.

Practically you probably know better than I do how to benchmark a whole bunch of systems really efficiently, but I imagine loading up a hard-drive (or many), making some test benches with different hardware configs and coming in 4-6 times a day to swap out the GPU's and rebooting the system. I would imagine the system on startup to run a python script that automatically benchmarks the system and logs all the relevant info somewhere on the drive and remotely and makes a nice visual and email queue when its ready for reboot. The relevant data being the models and the performance metrics of-course. You could use the models to do a whole range of super sick video editing tricks (if your video knows where one object ends and another begins, or what it is, stuff becomes much easier to animate >.> or what Linus's face on Jake would look like, or how Linus would sound with his Wife's voice, or how to transform the world into a cartoon version of itself, or I can go on... )

I'd eat these video's up to be honest, I'm sure many non-Data-Scientist viewers could appreciate this as-well, the visuals can be amazing, the fails hilarious and the pains enjoyable to watch. In the process everyone learns what AI is, how it works, what it can't do, how to get into it on a minimal budget with a Janky but functional build. Which ofcourse serves as a gaming rig by night. Please tech me how to use unraid to pauze a training model's entire environment and boot up a new vm with windows and access to my GPU, please please I beg you. I know at least Anthony is capable of something like this, I feel it in my bones!

If you need help setting this up, I can help 🙂

I know you've done like Amazon desk setup and a Monoprice desk setup. I'd love to see a desk setup made up of all Onn branded products. Which is Walmart's electronics brand which was seen in this video:

[Video request] Try to make things compatible that normally aren't compatible and see how it runs.

🙂

@Dergus I have added your video suggestion to the suggestion thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

On 7/18/2021 at 11:47 AM, Nalricorn said:

I'd suggest contacting others like Hardware Canucks, Dave2d, etc. if you're looking to share your findings.

Good idea, thanks

The Framework modular laptop is shipping to consumers!

It is a fully modular, consumer repairable and even upgradeable laptop with a unique spin on how to configure available ports. PCB schematics will also be made available.

Some media outlets have put up day one reviews but no extensive testing/benchmarking has been done AFAIK. This looks like an opportunity for LTT to report on a unique product that aims to be sustainable and empower the right to repair movement. Or maybe put it in the WAN show doc?

Here's an idea for Anthony's Linux videos, maybe:

Best of both worlds Linux build.

This is what i'm planning on doing as soon as the Ryzen 5000Gs become available:

Base System Linux with Ryzen APU (Intel with iGPU would work as well, of course)

One Windows VM 
One Linux VM
a discrete GPU can be passed through to either for gaming.

Streaming the game to the (base) desktop using Shield (Windows) and Sunshine (Linux) to Moonshine.

Not only can it play Games natively under Linux and Windows, i will also be able to play those games on my phone, Chromebook and so on.

Whereas GPU-passthough is nothing new, of course, making it more universal (base system for web browsing and other stuff, share one GPU between both gaming VMs, able to play from anywhere) might make for an interesting video to watch. Especially also given that it uses just one GPU (short supply) and it all fits in a SFF case (using a Dancase A4 for this). No need to passthrough a dedicated USB-Controller as Keyboard, Mouse and Controller are handled by Moonlight. 

What do you thnk?

I think alot of people know that nuclear power is the transition power source that the world needs in order to reach our climate goals before its too late, but it is shrouded in fear.

A video where you visit a Nuclear power plant, explain how it works, how safe it it etc could be a great video to alleviate some of that fear, and would just be an interesting video. It could even be a series where you visit wind farms etc too.

Edit: Realised you have kind-of done this already when you visited a fusion research facility, but I still think it could be a good topic to revisit, either to see the progress those guys have made since you made that video, or to visit a working power plant to actually see it in being used. Maybe putting more focus on the environment(especially if you make it a series with wind etc.) And you've gotten a much bigger audience since then.

It has been more than 3 years since you updated the 3d modeling pc build video on your channel. Your carelessness towards engineers and content creators really baffles me these days. Gaming is not going to build civilizations, so please take notes:

1- At least an annual video on content creation hardware recommendations at different price point

2- At least an annual video on 3d design and modeling hardware recommendations at different price point

3- Some sort of a package care for university student, undergraduate and graduate

Don't hesitate to upload three videos of the above in the next week about topics above, especially you have an engineer on your team now!

Tech enthusiast, Engineering sudent, and a loyal subscriber

XoXo

Ahmad H.

@ahmhaf I have added your suggestions to the Video suggestion mega Thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

A project I’ve been trying to work on but has been very frustrating finding information on has been a traveling streaming PC.  Mini ITX, no room for a graphics card because of the PCI Elgato capture card with four HDMI input for the multiple cameras,  Needs to fit easily in my backpack/carry on along with all the other camera and audio gear to get to the event.  

Could cover a lot of different possible interests, it’s something of a budget build with no GPU, people who want to stream places other than their home, an update to new solid options for a streaming machine as the most recent videos about a streaming machine are a year old and a lot of cool new stuff has come out.  

Could also be expanded to cover some other pretty cool tech out there that a lot of people might not know exists and makes some possible sponsorship options possible like the black magic ATEM mini ISO switchers that will record all the individual camera streams from a show and also compile a da Vinci resolve project file for you with the stream recording you actually cut live.  These are all things I only learned about when I really started looking into a multi camera setup and almost all the videos talking about them tend to be put on by churches live-streaming their services.  It would have been awesome to see an actual tech reviewer talk about all the specs and get into the capabilities for people looking to expand the complexity and options in their streaming.

Build an active noise cancelling server room.

Use microphones and speakers and the guts of some ANC headphone to make your server room bearable.

Apply this noise cancelling technique to desktop computers and noisy gaming laptops.

I have an Idea that primarily involve Anthony and his knowledge of Linux.

I challenge him, with any kind of help he may need, to get a PC with a Linux Distro of his choice
and then by changing all the different parts one at the time in the terminal, like the kernel, desktop, package etc,
migrate to an other Distro in a way that there is no way to know that it was not (Distro 2) in the first place and even receive updates for that Distro.

Yes I'm asking him to change the Distro without normal installation.

+1 if he manage to change from a debian based Distro to an Arch based one or vice versa.

Water-cooled 2.5' hard drive/SSD block off AliExpress

US $21.47  32%OFF | Single-layer Optical Drive Position Thermometer Water Tank Transparent Acrylic
https://a.aliexpress.com/_uIUf3B

You guys should build a laptop using a Raspberry Pi with discrete graphics

This post is for Video Ideas to make the base model 360k$ the wall worth it

Current Goal: 72 Videos

Here we go

Lets put together some video ideas, shall we

interchangeable 300k or 360k lol. Also "my 360k tv/ the wall/150" TV" needs to be adjusted

Perfect Title(All Bangers)

Water cooling my 360,000$ TV(4 Part)

Installing my 360k$ TV

Unboxing my 360k$ TV

LMG Reacts to Boss's Crazy TV - $h!t Employees Say

Living room Showcase feat 150" TV

Gaming on The Wall 150"

Kinda Fine Title(Just Fine)

Upgrading my AC to cool my 150" TV(make it a huge deal)

How a "The Wall" Panels Internals look like SC

How does Micro LED work TQ

Better Title Needed

DIY The Wall/ The Wall on Cheap (using 4 75" TVs)(Comparison Too)(Banger AF)

Preparing My Living room to install a 150" TV(Just fine)

4 people Gaming on 76" Screens at once on the Wall(Use 4 Different Inputs together)(Just milking)

Playing Halo Infinite on THE WALL[(1 of my fav childhood games? )(maybe make it ultrawide?)](Banger)

72 Videos is.... well, a lot oboivsly. Not feasible since given point of reference is Intel Extreme Tech Upgrade which currently averages out to 3 million 221 thousand 39.5 views

A more realistic goal would be anywhere from 10 to 30 depending on if (and how much) Samsung decides to sponsor them, probably not for the whole amount. And how much Each video makes, going with the conservative estimates for now

As of now these Ideas were spoken in the Video or I thought of them, others will be duly credited.

I'll be adding more when I get more Ideas also keep commenting ideas.

Lets get LMG to notice this

Sorry because formatting could be better