Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
7 hours ago, seldnas dna skcoS said:

Has LTT or anyone ever tested the performance differences of a 64bit version of Windows VS a 32 bit version on a 64 bit computer?

I tried to find some information on this but everything basically just says 64bit better.

I thought this might make an interesting video if it was done with both versions using the same computer.

32bit is limited to 4GB of RAM. That's the main reason for using 64bit version.

Hey LTT team, big fan, bigger problem:

An interesting one but now a topic i am invested in:

GOPRO 

In particular their awful consumer practice. My experience is now one shared by thousands of people reaching out for the money back and being caught in a death spiral of customer service representatives who are seem to be experts as buying time for the company till the next quarterly. 

Their customer service is genuinely WILD. 

brief examples: 

- request a callback: they phone you and say 'your phone is broken we can't hear you' this has happened everytime. 6 phone calls. Unsurprisingly there is no problem with my phone. 

- the integrated live chat from customer support, enjoy the rollercoaster ride of waiting 2 hours while the representative prays you conversation crashes or you accidentally lose your tab. 

- representatives state they have 'no means of communicating directly with accounts departments or refunds department.' That. Doesn't. Even. Make. Sense. 

- assured one representative will deal with your case. I have had DOZENS. 

- no email chains, no feedback or response. It is all automated. You cannot email back.

I've found myself waiting 7 months for a refund with no immediate prospect of that being a reality. 

GoPro maintains brand dominance and consumer trust and i bought into the slick advertising and positive influencer reviews. I didn't even consider checking consumer confidence reports databases online. 

Needless to say, i have seen these reviews now and the gross negligence and shrugging of corporate responsibility is beyond compare. They haven't even claimed their business on Trustpilot (one of the u.k's leading consumer trust websites) because the customer feedback is so shocking. 

People are now resorting to posting on google map reviews for GOPRO's San Matteo HQ because they can't get any tangible response from corporate representatives.

I believe this is an interesting case of brand dominance for a NASDAQ listed corporation taking advantage of inferred consumer confidence in that product only to rip the rug away and tie people up for MONTHS. 

I would be happy to share my experience to get the word out.

Is GOPRO scamming people?

- Jonny

Screenshot_20210714-130226_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210714-130140_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20210714-130055_Maps.jpg

Regarding your latest video about Linus new house I would highly recommend you to check out the KNX specification for home automation. It´s based on a 2-wire bus system and already exists for more than 25 years and will have ongoing support for decades. It´s an international standard and is mostly used in the EU but is also available in the US. It´s the most professional way to create your smart home, at least in my opinion. There are thousands of devices supporting the KNX standard from hundreds of different brands. It´s not proprietary and I think it´s the perfect home automation system for Linus. It can be quite challenging to get the knowledge to set it up, but as I know the channel... I think you like challenges. It would be great if you could check it out and maybe feature a new topic on the channel.

Linus could you make a video on amazon.in (india) video

like a $1000 PC BUILD

You would have better luck getting an answer if you were to ask this to other members. Linus barely posts or responds to anything.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, MATRIX08 said:

like a $1000 PC BUILD

That would be hard logistically.

image.png.5029ffc2a0036dad97fb83972e8de5ba.png

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

he could do it from his inventory not to buy

5 minutes ago, MATRIX08 said:

like a $1000 PC BUILD

> Merged with the discussion thread for LTT video suggestions.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Trying to match windows 11 visually, starting from windows 10. Some starters could be using taskbar x for centering, changing icons, and so on. This will probaly involve a lot of third party tools and possibly registry hacks. 

6 minutes ago, MATRIX08 said:

he could do it from his inventory not to buy

image.thumb.png.1dcdf14b1ba001789baae90057dfe7fd.png

There's still room to find a cooler, and later on add a GPU.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

What happened to 5.1 PC speaker systems like Logitech X-530? x-540, and the more recent Z-506? it doesn't look like these types of cheap 5.1 speakers are being produced any more. are there better peripherals on the market today? is there enough of a story for LTT to make a video about this?

Buy a 100 dollar pc which supposedly has a 5950x and 3090 and see what you get from Hubboe.com

Having had to deal with a lot of warranties lately unluckily, I would love to see a 'secret shopper' style video but for dealing with warranties.  Point scoring can be on (1) ease of filing RMA (2) who pays shipping (3) option to get replacement in interim (with CC deposit) (4) time of service (5) follow up issues.

For fun my experiences with common items:

• G.Skill RAM stick:  Had a dead stick a few months in and had to pay to ship it to them.  Thankfully a RAM stick is light and overall was easy to file and quick turnaround.
  • Sandisk SD card: Was a while ago, but beyond easy - they even paid shipping.
  • Cooler Master Air cooler fan:  Tried to fill out RMA online and got denied, essentially saying I had to contact them first (Whats the form for?).  Thankfully this was a new item and I managed to convince Amazon to let me return it even though I was passed 30 days.
  • Asus Motherboard:  Absolutely horrendous.  Hours on the phone, had to pay to ship it to them (~$30).  This 'TUF' Sabretooth Z77 motherboard had a 'Armor Panel' over it (i.e. a shield over most of the motherboard with a couple fans to help cool the motherboard/chipset.  Apparently I was supposed to know that this counted as an 'accessory' that I should remove when I ship it back. (I didnt even know it came off).  They shipped it back with out it.  After 3 hours on phone, wanted me to pay ~$20 for the shipping of my 'accessory'.  An additional 2 hours to escalate to someone who could override and ship it back.  And if all that wasnt bad enough, the issue (Dead ethernet) returned about 6 months later.  The second time I just bought a PCIe card.

I would love to see a video on data recovery and some really technical stuff on how SSDs and HDD operate. I had a 6TB D: drive go unallocated after a hard restart. Salvage Data Recovery told me that a hard restart wiped my HDD completely. I told them that is not how computers work. Im looking for a second opinion but wanted to hear you break down how some drives are able to be recovered even from fire or lightning. As I understand it data physically written to a HDD is pretty long term. I would expect fragmented files and corrupted data not a drive full of a bunch of nothing.

Would be cool to see a video of some of the writers (and other LMG crew) gaming on computers as old as they are!

Hello LTT group,

Most powerfull processor ever made

European processor

Better than INTEL, AMD, NVIDIA

60 exaflops

These are the claims of unknown company called Tachyum - https://www.tachyum.com/en-eu/. Recently they had presentation at globsec (https://www.globsec.org/news/) and they unveiled their processor.

I found myself hard to believe they are going to fulfill their claims. Can you look into this? Maybe its good material for video.

Check it out. Have a nice day. :)

e40c71e54677c51f8036bf23ce79a335.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbrus-8S

On wikipedia they say it has previous generations, and it scores 576 Gflops - and my Ryzen 3600 scores 484 -, so it must be a good enough CPU for gaming.

And a great alternative to AMD and Intel, at least in Russia, and where it would be bought,

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/meet-the-elbrus-16s-a-16-core-cpu-2ghz-designed-in-russia-on-a-16nm-process/

Just a few little ideas:

• Full CCTV vs things like TP-Link Tapo? I use 2 x Tapo caps and for £20 and a SD card have come in amazing. Not outdoor cams (They make them) But I have them in the window maybe a video "CCTV Doesn't need to be hard?"
  • A cheap backup server? I may of missed it but listening to WanShow about backs ups, what about a video using old hardware and back up I have a old i5 4th gen? I was given what about how to make a NAS or small back up easy and safe? 
  • Best audio set up? So starting with headphones and amp? Without breaking the bank? When you look for PC headphones for gaming its all GAMING headphones what about using a small amp and real headphones? I use some Sennheiser momentum 3 and they are great for music and gaming. What about a video covering sub £100/£100-£300/baller set up?
  • Same with speakers 90% of people I know use some little shitty cheap ones yet we live on our PC why not do a budget/mid/high setup for how to get great audio? Edifier R1280T for example for £100 vs Logitech Z120. I know the Edifier is better but a good video talking would be amazing. 
  • For a while you did videos showing Frames per Dollar what about a video finding the best value GPU at 1080p/1440p maybe once the market is better?
  • Home WIFI set up? But a simple one for people living at home so a lot of parents won't let them change the whole WIFI (Thank god I moved out) What about easy/best access points that you can set up and use at home? Are things like Ubiquiti worth the cost vs a cheap knock off?
  • I know like 1000 channels have this as there key point but I see Raspberry Pi releasing so many things recently what about a ShortCircuit unboxing some? 
  • A video with Samsung about 8k again? They push it very very hard and have been doing it nearly 5 years now in a recent video you said the new Neo is nearly as good as an OLED so now its 8k Neo vs 4k OLED does that extra resolution make sense for the same cost? I.E 65QN800A vs XR-65A90J both are around £3499? Would be cool to see. And Samsung have some cool new things so the Terrace outdoor TV a video just abusing that? "Whole waterproof set up" TV and PC being all IP rated? Plus they do a projector it's just something a little different from a brand like Samsung. 
  • You have done a few home TV set ups but for a lot of people 77 OLED is so expensive! With Linus moving house and doing a new set up why not bring us for the ride about a "Average set up?" 65" TV and a HW-Q950A or Sonos? 

Well there we go ideas list drained

Ow okay then....

if they can get their hands on one the will make a review about it

and for 16 core cpu even with such low frequency the performance is not great 

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

that would be pretty awesome ngl

You can't get one. They're Russian state funded chips and probably don't perform anywhere near what they claim, which is one of the reasons that you can't get your hands on one. Beyond that, they're not x86/x86_64. They're VLIW chips, like Intel's failed Itanium. So they have to have a translation layer to process x86/x86_64 workloads which will cost quite a bit in performance.

And then comes the fact that even if LMG got ahold of one, they would also need to source whatever proprietary Russian state sponsored OS is required to run these things since they're not going to work with anything else. 

TLDR: LMG isn't going to get ahold of proprietary Russian state sponsored hardware/software. Even if they did, the performance is likely highly exaggerated.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Hi all,

i would be really interested in an review of the brelyon monitor 

it says it’s an 122” monitor in the size not much bigger then the samsung odyssey g29

I would love to know if that is working good and if that can replace my work/gaming monitor

https://brelyon.com

There is a lot people that play video games.

Fps spesific... 

As a military reserved (idf) i ask my self if thousands of hour playing pubg can give you an combat advantage.

Take "chacotaco"(my preferred streamer) to an airsoft/painball arena and let as see if he have advantage.

Thanks