Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Luke had a mineral oil cooled PC when he started to work for Linus.

@Pranjal69merged into video suggestion thread, but they already made several videos about a mineral oil PC, even if it's been a while.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 4/13/2019 at 3:17 AM, lloose said:

30 days of Linux. 

Get one of your writers who has little to no experience with Linux to use it exclusively for 30 days. Have his computer at work have Linux and give him a gaming laptop or a good desktop to use at home with Linux installed. 

You could do 4 videos with various updates on how the transition is working. You could hit key topics like work productivity, gaming, personal use (music listening, movies, web browsing), and an overview of the pros and cons of being in a Linux environment. See how far he could get and if he gets hung up with any major issues. 

THIS!!!

She/Her

4 hours ago, IlanSh said:

Basic idea - How good would it be to get a mirror-smooth and flat both cpu and cooler surfaces?

Rational: The whole thermal paste idea is to fill the gaps between the cpu and the cooler plate. What if we get the gaps to be way smaller?

For this we need both surfaces to be

A. Smooth to a mirror degree.

B. Totally flat from end to end.

Basically, think HDD platter surface. That's the spirit.

A good test will compare regular cooling with a good thermal paste VS. bareback mirrored VS. mirorred + thermal paste.

The hard part is to get the surfaces both mirror-smooth and totally flat. Grinding mirrors is not complicated, though it's lengthy. But to configure it flat - no idea. I know how to measure a telescope mirror configuration, when you make your own telescope mirror - but that's not gonna work here, so some research how mirror makers do that is called for.

Cheers and thanks for all the great and funny content you guys create for us!

that will actually make it a lot worse. thermal paste has even shown to be more effective on a "polished" IHS, basically meaning it's old and not at all smooth anymore so there are more gaps to fill. 

She/Her

On 7/8/2021 at 5:22 PM, Rex Hite said:

How much does RGB puke raise case temperatures.

a google search would answer that, almost no impact because led's dont' consume a lot of power. even the RGB'est of pc's have a few watts at most of led's in them. 

She/Her

On 3/20/2019 at 10:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Hey Linus peeps

Big fan from Denmark here, I love many of your vids especially those with Linus in em.

This is probably something that's been suggested before, but I thought it could be really cool with a simple questions from users video type of show, possibly answered by Linus himself. And if not a show, maybe a segment with 3? questions at the end of other videos. Would be cool if that was a regular thing. So basically users just send in tech questions, and Linus giving good fairly elaborate answers and suggestions to their problems. Also I'm no media guru, but it seems like an easy way to make material for more videos, without having to do elaborate testing of hardware or other things that take more work (except maybe a small amount of research).

Example:

Linus read users question: "Hey Linus, will my system bottleneck if I use a 5th generation i7 cpu along with a brand new rtx 3080?"

Linus then answers the question with a really good answer (as we would expect no less): "Yada yada and for this reason it's gonna be yada yada... lttstore.com"

You have some knowledgeable ppl Linus and we wanna ask you our not commonly asked questions!

Anyways thx for all the content so far hope my idea is worth considering.

Maybe do a video about good cpu/GPU pairings, and the best ones for different budgets. It would also be fun to do a Q&A video where you read questions from this forum. 

Has the Case been ovetlooked? 

Its probably just me, but has there ever been an enclosure that is an entire radiator/cooling system? 

Like the front is a reservoir and the top and bottom are the radiators. Notch on the front top right for usb etc, and the back corners from bottom to top can be solid tubes for the water to go around the entire case. So all you would add is the fans of your own choice and pump. 

Sure the external temps would be hotter on the outside, but the case is huge compared to just a rad(s) thats kept inside behind a mesh that's touching the case. 

I've had a look around but i cannot find any cases like that or I'm not typing in the correct wording to search for one.

It feels like an almost impossible engineering video but with your new equipment that you could actually do this. Get Corsair or Cool Master to sponsor. 

18 hours ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

that will actually make it a lot worse. thermal paste has even shown to be more effective on a "polished" IHS, basically meaning it's old and not at all smooth anymore so there are more gaps to fill. 

Godzilla had a stroke trying to read this and died.

On 7/2/2021 at 10:45 PM, Albinoguy said:

Doooo iiiiiiit.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Cooling with subzero air

This video couldn’t be done now, but wait until that classic Canadian winter kicks in, and utilize it to cool a traditionally toasty setup. Connect an insulated tube from a window out to the computer’s intake and see just how low the temps go. 

You could also just put the pc in a freezer but that would probably be harder (routing wires out of a freezer seems rather challenging if you want the door closed)

This one has the biggest claims yet, thousands of passive income from anywhere. Calls out all the other free money people while offering the same thing I guess?

621403951_InternetBS10.thumb.png.0357341508578acfbd6189dfe9f4acbf.png

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Linus should have used my build for the purpose of testing out the aquacomputer leak shield.  Showcase the rest of aquacomputer ecosystem - i just don’t have there cpu/gpu blocks and radiator (average performance). Featuring the one of most expensive independent powered/controlled mo-ra3 420 out there and full rgb (i don’t like rgb).

I am expected to replace the bitspower block with an optimus strix block whenever i get it (i’m first one to order it).

7F63AFF5-EADB-48C3-AF58-198160E4B26D.jpeg

A5CA21C8-3C7D-40CA-9BE8-4FB9B1EC8D43.jpeg

81A54544-F2A3-47B0-9E82-30A81FAA7E12.jpeg

D15A23EC-96A8-4C43-B221-CF3D251B438F.jpeg

34691B13-EB25-463D-822D-FD5EAD60E4DD.jpeg

6EE0D789-0B7B-46EA-BB6B-37207D6611A4.jpeg

Multiple gamers on one computer except without virtualization either

They game on windows https://universalsplitscreen.github.io/ or https://github.com/nucleuscoop/nucleuscoop , but this will trigger anticheat for some games sadly. 

OR

Linus/Anthony configures linux to start up one desktop per screen, the wikis for distros have some guides about multiseating. 

This would be interesting because for some of us it may not be feasible to buy a second gpu to passthrough but the game is light enough that more than one instance can be run smoothly. After trying it out for a bit, they can try to push the software to its limits given enough hardware power. 

You guys should do a computer build video on Weird Al's computer from "It's All About The Pentiums". We know that it has a high clock speed and 100GB of RAM, based off of an intel CPU, and a 40 inch flatscreen monitor. Other than that it should be an OP build. 

Replace the LCD on the original Nintendo Switch with a nicer display before nintendo releases the OLED version.

Video suggestion:

OK, I know this sounds crazy and it will probably never be done, but what if you made a case with a softer serve ice cream machine built in, and the ice cream was the coolant. There would probably have to be some parts modification, (special pump, wider tubes, etc.) but I think it could be done. If it was done it would prob be the coolest thing ever, thanks, Zeke.

Cook with the i9-11900K

Alright going to spitball the idea regardless of if it has bean made.

The video or a vlog would be titled "Linus followed for a week at work" and that is self-explained. For one week there would be a camera and mic following Mr. Sebastian for whole week to see all the behind scene highs and lows, staff meetings, with or without sound, problems and issues discovered, resolved or not, obviously projects that are in development and or at a status that it can´t be disclosed or teased about then it´s blurred in the video for added frustration for the viewers.
This would then be a theme where other staff members could be a subject or each department with some or all of them being followed for the week. Cinematographers Mr. Lee  and Mr. Gauthier seen solving some problems or discussing on camera about what he is doing with staff members and basic workweek being surely and steadily being worked. Writers like Mr. Strieb, Mr. Murdock, Mr. Young and some others. Then other staff if there is the quality and quantity of content that can display a week of work at Linus Media Group. Then this can all come together and seen as a flow of work from one to another between  departments.
Some might be expecting a BBC documentary scale project but I expect medium class vlog easily edited and produced as 30 - 50 minutes of content where loughs, tears, frustration and enjoyment is seen and experienced.

Hi Linus team!

We are your neighbours, Novacom Building Partners, at #1 - 18663 52nd Avenue, Surrey. We are a construction company always looking for the newest technology in our industry to better serve our clients and make the construction process more efficient. We recently purchased a Trimble XR10 Hardhat with Hololens 2 which provides us the ability to do mixed reality walk-throughs of our construction sites and to broadcast the first person views through Microsoft teams.

Using Revit and BIM modelling software, the Trimble XR10 hardhat and Trimble Connect for Hololens utilizes mixed-reality technology to allow our site superintendent to walk a space and virtually see the design to determine constructability, assess constraints and conflicts, all while broadcasting live to the designers, architects and consultant team members.

We would love to work with you or have you do a feature on this technology to truly demonstrate its capabilities. 

Mixed Reality Software | Trimble Connect for HoloLens

image.png.c642e88b115a1ed268ecd17829c6f3a3.png image.png.928baa1e028ad3ec695fa1de8a3fec49.pngimage.png.deeaaafa55d49f8b545dd7a144bbf670.png  

On 3/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, CPotter said:

Linus Tech Tips

Linus should do a video on Hypixel Bedwars, and some content on mice like the Model O and Roccat mice that can drag click

Hi Linus team,

I stumbled upon a very interesting PC build from another youtube channel. I would love to see how far you can go with this idea. Many thanks for every video.

The video is here: 

water-cooled m1 Mac mini

There's lots of space left in its housing, so I challenge you to fit everything in it.

(I doubt there will be a performance benefit, but I would definitely like to own a water cooled one.)

Has LTT or anyone ever tested the performance differences of a 64bit version of Windows VS a 32 bit version on a 64 bit computer?

I tried to find some information on this but everything basically just says 64bit better.

I thought this might make an interesting video if it was done with both versions using the same computer.