Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

So corsair has released a M.2 Custom watercooling block, possibly time to visit a watercooled server with these blocks? Idea about the video is to try and minimize noise and possible temps that can be seen within datacenters.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Custom-Cooling/Accessories/Hydro-X-Series-XM2-M-2-SSD-Water-Block-(2280)/p/CX-9029002-WW

Recently I got an idea for a RGB case where everything is covered in addressable RGBs with reasonable refresh rate that would allow for animations. I'm an electrical engineer and I even got my first (very small) prototype. Pixel spacing is 2mm and at full power it can be too bright to look at ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). You can interpret it as a display on every side of the case (or at least top, front, left and right). I'm writing now without any significant evidence, because I wonder if it can even interest You.

i.jpg

What if you take the water cooled chair and turn it into a water heater chair and the PC as the heater with something super hot like a 11900k?

3D print a gaming computer case, a gaming chair, a gaming mouse (lol how is that possible), and a case for the water cooler...

5 minutes ago, Ducky912 said:

3D print a gaming computer case, a gaming chair, a gaming mouse (lol how is that possible), and a case for the water cooler...

gonna need some context here, are you 3D printing minitures, are you printing the full size things, is this meant to be functional...ect

Or are you trying to give ideas to LTT?

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

18 minutes ago, Ducky912 said:

It seems like a pretty cool idea, but the chair would not be possible 

I’m a furry, deal with it 

I think using metal for the case would be much better, and I'm not sure if they have a printer that can 3d print metal, let alone something strong enough for that task.

The chair could be done for the most part, but again, not sure if standard filaments are strong enough for that job, and the backing/cushioning would not be printed. Mouse would be pretty easy minus the circuitry, but would be a pretty flimsy mouse, I'd wager.

I think what you're going for and what a lot of us want to see is what he would end up designing. I want a detailed explanation of what he thinks a good case needs, what shape a good mouse should be, what makes the perfect gaming chair. Then we want to see him actually do it. We all have these ideas and preferences we'd like to see and he's the guy who could actually pull it off and make it all

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

31 minutes ago, Ducky912 said:

moved to this thread as its a video idea

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, Ducky912 said:

can all work, but with what and in what size.

A chair if they use resin, they could do multiple parts and foam for the pillows and maybe a few parts being metal (screws etc and middle) else most functions and could sort of work? But take a lot of time and resources. A gaming mouse would be cool (frame 3D printed), you could have everything you wanted with USB C, wireless, RGB glow through it etc. if you can get some of the parts like the sensor and a good board to fit in it. Case might need to be THICC for the supporting areas, maybe certain filling or resin might work.

41 minutes ago, Gare2007 said:

It seems like a pretty cool idea, but the chair would not be possible 

it can work, just not all 3D printed and ofc you would need soft materials too.

But could end up being limited in design like a case, if it's going to "work work".

Hi Linus Media Group and Community,

Just thought of cool a idea for a custom build / video. That incorporates a PS5 with backwards compatibility with PS4 and a original fat 60gb PS3 that supports backwards compatibility with PS2 and PS1 games. Water-cooled into one custom made case. To create the ultimate Playstation. Without the need emulation software.

I would like to hear the communities thoughts on this?

Keep up the great work Linus Media Group!

Cheers

2 minutes ago, Strayan_Hades said:

Hi Linus Media Group and Community,

Just thought of cool a idea for a custom build / video. That incorporates a PS5 with backwards compatibility with PS4 and a original fat60gb PS3 that supports backwards compatibility with PS2 and PS1 games. Water-cooled into one PC case. To create the ultimate Playstation. Without the need emulation.

I would like to hear the communities thoughts on this?

Keep up the great work Linus Media Group!

Cheers

Heya!

Just wanted to drop you a line and let you know I merged your thread into the video suggestions thread.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

How about a PC cleaning video. I know they have talked about water cooling loop maintenance and cleaning the tower. I was more thinking how to clean the whole thing. PC, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, deskmat/mouse pad, headset, desk, chair.

2 minutes ago, MattTheEmp said:

How about a PC cleaning video. I know they have talked about water cooling loop maintenance and cleaning the tower. I was more thinking how to clean the whole thing. PC, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, deskmat/mouse pad, headset, desk, chair.

that could be nice, since some are easy or too different by design.

But some parts would easy in general, else how easy it is to clean or how to, sadly some brands aren't focused on that and are harder to clean by design.

When Apple first announced the M1 chip with their beautiful, absolutely empirical, claims of performance increase, I thought like anyone else that it was an exaggeration. Fast forward to now, and most mobile chips from Intel and AMD fail to come close to the performance of the M1 machines, and get destroyed in specialized tasks, such as video encoding. The question I had was: why???

The common answer I have seen goes something like this: x86 is an old, CISC architecture that uses a lot of power in order to do more generalized and complex tasks. ARM on the otherhand uses RISC magic to do more specialized tasks with lower power. Apple in its infinite wisdom used this to create the ultimate lower tdp powerhouse of a cpu that beats other chips in... general performance...

Finding an answer thats deeper than this has proven to be surprisingly hard, and the answer commonly provided feels at least disingenuous. I was surprised to learn that for the past 30 years, there have only been a handful of chips from intel that decoded assembly into CISC micro operations(I lost the source, so feel free to call B.S on that), and have mostly been making RISC chips in order to bring down power usage. If its not because its ARM chips vs x86 chips, then why is it?

Its because its ARM chips vs x86 chips. But not because of RISC vs CISC, but because of the choices made when designing the cpu architectures.

I want to point out that currently Im talking about general performance. Its true that the SoC design makes things faster in a lot of ways, from shared memory to thermals/power usage to components being closed together, and those certainly help. Its also true that apple has taken to building microprocessors within their SoC's that make specialized work like ML and image processing much faster than using the general purpose cpu cores. What Im referring to is why the general purpose cpu cores are faster than everything else.

Im pretty sure it comes down to decoders, and OoOe(out of order execution). Essentially, when the cpu parses the machine code, it looks ahead to see if it can process any instructions later on. If an instruction doesnt rely on incomplete instructions for input, the cpu doesnt need to wait for other instructions to finish, so it starts that one. The cpu can effectively multithread your application(not quite that simple, this hasnt and wont replace writing multithreaded code). The instructions are read into a buffer, and decoders parse the buffer. The more decoders you have the more you can benefit from OoOe. 

All modern cpus do this. But the issue is with how. x86 instructions vary in length, going up to 15 bytes. The decoders attempt almost every byte combination in parallel to find the instructions in the buffer. Theres no pointer marking the beginning or end. The results of this is decreased decoding speed, and a maximum amount of around 4 decoders before the computational complexity gets too high to be a benefit.

The M1 has 8 decoders. ARM instructions are all exactly 4 bytes, so finding them is as simple as starting from the beginning and counting from 4. Algorithmically speaking, there shouldnt really be an upper limit on the amount of decoders you have, or the size of the buffer. 

As far as I can tell, this looks like the most likely candidate for why the cpu cores are so much faster. 

The source I found: https://debugger.medium.com/why-is-apples-m1-chip-so-fast-3262b158cba2 

I havent found this information anywhere else. The only reasonable conclusions I can reach are either that this article is completely wrong, or no one else knows. If this information is correct, I think it would make for a great LTT video. It can go into depth on some of these topics, and even describe some of what we should look out for in order to determine if competition is on the horizon. What can Intel or AMD do to fix their decoder problem besides switching to ARM? Will they ever be able to make competetive laptop cpu's?

If theres a mistake, feel free to let me know, but I think I paraphrased the article correctly.

Why are M1 chips so dang fast?!?!?

Already done by Linus in his Mac Mini Review.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

59 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Already done by Linus in his Mac Mini Review.

Im not sure if it does. It explains why its able to emulate x86 machine code faster with rosetta, compared to windows based x86 emulation, but it doesnt explain why its faster at general tasks, even in native arm compiled code. It doesnt answer how differences like this can exist: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/compare/7629844?baseline=7632107 . It just shows scores and compares them to apple's statements on performance.

7 minutes ago, Mick3yD said:

it doesnt explain why its faster at general tasks, even in native arm compiled code. It doesnt answer how differences like this can exist

Well nobody can really know since Apple doesn't publish details about the design, so...

They've taken some ARM core, made some changes to it and it manages that, but only they have the details of how and why.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Well nobody can really know since Apple doesn't publish details about the design, so...

Take a look at the article I linked in my original post. I'm sure it's not the definitive source of truth, since you're right about apples secrecy. But I doubt they are using dark magic, since the actual chip production is outsourced. The thing I mentioned regarding decoding are specific to ARM, not apple.

xspc pump/reservoir repaired with no support from outdated obsolete pump.,,,used a new designed chinese pump 800L/H and it works perfectly. I designed a few part with my 3d printer...Zero leaks and Zero landfill. I am suggesting a 3D printer parts design contest to save at least 1 unsupported liquid cooling system...using chinese parts will be optional.

On 3/20/2019 at 3:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

From what ive found from starting out as a digital artist. Drawing tablets are very important. However from looking I cant seem to find the right one. Mainly because all the video on them are shady promotional videos or just blatantly lying. If a staff member from LTT who does digital art could make a video reviewing these drawing pads to show what is truely the best option for your money. Then it would really help new artists decide which drawing tablet is right for them and help prevent the blatant scams these companies are pulling on people who dont know better. I could give you a few links if needed. Thanks for your time 

You can actually liquid cool a PC using a car radiator while it's still inside the car and connected to the engine. I can explain how - and given the nature of how a thermostat works, you can also regulate the overall temperature of the fluid to be below a set temperature.

You could call it "How to LS swap your gaming PC" and the car community would go absolutely nuts over it...

Hell, I'll even do it for y'all.

Happy to help.

ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (WiFi6)\\Ryzen 3 3100 OC 4.5GHz @1.26V\\Corsair H60\\G. Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2666 CL19\\WD Black SN750 512GB PCIe 3.0 NVMe\\WD 1TB Storage HDD\\EVGA 600B\\Power Color Radeon RX6600 XT 8GB\\ASUS TUF Gaming 23.8" IPS 144Hz@1080p\\Corsair 220T RGB\\Corsair K55 RGB Pro\\Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury

hi
don't get me wrong but why when logitech G pro x superlight released the whole channel was like "wow, so perfect, best mice in the world" but now that orochi v2 has a way better battery at the same weight, better sensor, multi device dongle &... but there is no review about it. 

Air cooling in the system, higher airflow: Use a compressor with 4-5 nozzles in the top og the cabinet, that blows air through the system, like, 2L pr sec (at least double the amount of what the fans are capable of, if you can test that somehow(fan in the end of a tube, airflow tester in the other end)). 

This should do 2 things : Keep the dust out, cool down the system. What if this is a solution to the GPU 30xx series overheating? I mean, it's gonna be loud, but cooled PC!

OR: In extension of your test with the cooling rack from a car, why not just use the fan? It's 12V, and bout the full size of a tower side panel. 

Edited by Gamerkrakken

Hiya Guys! 

Made an account to post this after Anthony touched on HDBaseT on TechQuickie. 

I've recently bought an MHub from HDAnywhere, it's going to run about 6 TVs in our new office, I've not got the thing running yet so can't comment on the quality of it right now, but basically I'm hoping it's going to let me hook up a PC, a set-top box and of course a Playstation or something in my comms room and distribute it out to all the TVs. 

It's a really nice looking piece of kit, I'd say it's sort of in the prosumer category, the main unit is the profile of a switch and the receivers are little boxes that can hide behind the TV, get power off the main unit via cat6 and connect to the TV via HDMI. 

Might make for an interesting one, and I think it's a pretty unknown product category, not much on YouTube about it. 

Take care team.