Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
10 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Please next time report your own thread and wait for a moderator to merge it.

Sorry, thank you

Hello LMG Team,

This I think may be one of the more odd ball video request you guys might've received but I think it would make for both an interesting video as well as a great conversation to be had.

I much like many other PC enthusiast have had to deal with RMA's, but my story is not unique. Since 2/28/2021 I have been dealing with an RMA issue with ASUS.

On 7/31/2019 I had purchased an ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming motherboard, mainly because of my past experiences with ASUS products being more reliable, particularly their higher end ones, being quite good. After nearly 2 years of use I had never had the motherboard give me any issues, this was until 2/14/2021 when one of my close friends had an issue with some of his new hardware so he came over (mask were worn), to troubleshoot his hardware. During this testing process we had found his MOBO (an X570 AORUS Elite) and CPU (5600x) were dead, then later when we went to test his RAM my motherboard immediately began to boot loop. Funny memes aside, we had concluded that perhaps some of the traces on the RAM were bad and sent voltage back into both of our boards and killed them. 

So began both of our RMA's, in his case AORUS had taken 3 months to process his RMA, AMD had taken 2 days (we were pleasantly surprised). In my case since ASUS had taken 2 weeks to process the RMA entirely, and I received my motherboard on 2/28/2021. The was an issue though, the integrated I/O shield and LED were both missing, so I immediately called ASUS, filed a new RMA and send the board away, and here we are today.

It has been nearly 2 months and ASUS still has yet to send a replacement board for their mistake, and the only way I have been able to get any updates from them have been through the threats of legal action as well as needing to contact the ASUS CEO's Office, and even with this, there has been no resolution. I honestly don't expect any help from the LMG team, more so I just thought that hearing this case could be used to make an interesting video so that companies like ASUS and AORUS get their act together, as with one quick "Google" one can find dozens, if not hundreds of cases similar to my friends and my own.

If your team would like any of the photographs and email correspondence please do let me know and I'll gather all of that information as soon as I can. 

One quick side note is that they had offered a buy back (ASUS) but they had estimated the time it would take to be approximately a month, so I had refused it for two fold; The first being that it (in my own humble opinion) would be unreasonable to expect a customer, after a companies own mistake, to wait a total of 2 months to resolve it. The second is that because of the current landscape of PC components and how quickly they "fly" off of the "shelves" it would make it near impossible to improbable to find a motherboard.

Edit:

Though which as of today I have accepted as I just want this to be over and done with.

So, thank you for your time and I hope you guys all have been safe and healthy during the Global Pandemic, and I really do hope that you guys can maybe help change the way RMA's go.

Thank you for your time,
Kenneth Carolan

Edited by KennyAC
More details that came with time

Marseilles mClassic - Game Console Graphics Processor - would be cool to see if this is junk or if it actually makes game consoles look any better and to take it apart and see if how it processes video or if it does at all. It pretty much just looks like a flash drive but with hdmi.

*adds magnets back on the iMac for the stand and it becomes a bit like a portable big laptop/iPad*

*with touch accessory connected*

After seeing the apple presentation, I thought "maybe there is something like Apple TV color calibration in the market, already". It seems like there is some apps that offer the similar tech. I believe it would be very nice to see whether it can be used in real life.

It would be something like calibrate with a smartphone, then measure with a real tool. And it would follow the informal series of implementing something apple announced before apple reaches the market.

I'm planning to test it with one of my monitors but it will not be "scientific" and the screen sucks anyway. I'm putting it here because I'm sure even if the LTT doesn't pick this up, someone nerder than me will have the tools to test it here :)

I don't look at the forums that much, If I'm in the wrong place I'm sorry.

Hey @alchemistake

I have merged your thread into the Official video suggest thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Ok I know I picked the wrong week to think of this idea, but given LTT has been getting into car/transportation videos, I think it'd be cool to see linus do a video on car share coops. Of course, this will probably be after the pandemic, but LTT is located in Vancouver where there are 2-3 car share programs (www.modo.coop and EVO are the 2 I know of).

Anyway, I think the main reasons to do this are:

-wide variety of cars available

-interesting tech

-interesting green tech

-more and more of these are coming online in NA

As a parting comment, I'd like to say it'd be really cool to see LMG do a transportation week.

On 4/12/2019 at 11:45 PM, DomE179 - Nik117D - Domnik said:

Oh, and it comes with a FREE USB type C cable!

tommox.jpg

i love how they act like the USB-C cable is a seling point. makes the ad that much better.

On 4/12/2019 at 11:45 PM, DomE179 - Nik117D - Domnik said:

amazon links being so long drives me up the wall too.

Main PC: the literature club machine

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

i just relised i replied to a two year old comment. my bad

Main PC: the literature club machine

Intel I5 9600k @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI z390-a pro | G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB 3000Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB | Seagate barracuda 3.5" 2.5tb  | Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 | Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB DUAL OC | Thermaltake Core P3 TG Snow Edition

Daily drivers

OPPO A52 | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Razer Deathadder V2 Pro | Beryodynamic DT 990 PRO | Focusrite Scarlett solo gen 2

23 minutes ago, mon1ka said:

i just relised i replied to a two year old comment. my bad

lol its ok 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

Since your last video about E-Waste, why don’t you take a look at a company that tries to do the right thing? I work for a telecom company in the Netherlands and we get a lot of positive feedback about the fairphone. Maybe it’s a good idea to give a company like that more attention. 

I'd like to see a video on the MonsterLabo Beast.  The most expensive case ever... or is it?  At 750 Euros ($900 US), it's more expensive than a decent budget PC:

$190 Deskmini H470

$180 Core i5-11400

$90 2x8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM

$100 1TB SSD

----------

$560 Total

But when you compare it to the price of an open loop system cooling an RTX 3080 (if you can get one), the price is actually cheaper, and on top of that, it's completely silent instead of mostly silent:

$140 EK-Classic GPU Water Block RTX 3080

$70  EK-Classic CPU Water Block 115x/20xx D-RGB

$130 EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 D5 Body D-RGB

$190 2x EK-CoolStream Classic PE 360

$36 2x EK-Tube ZMT Matte Black 3m

$45 10x EK-Classic STC 10/16 - Black (fittings)

$39 6x EK-AF Classic Angled 90° - Black

$10 Inline temperature sensor

$198 6x Noctua NF-A12

$160 Phanteks P500A (or Corsair 5000D Airflow)

----------

$1018 Total

As to the fairness of the comparison, if you don't care about noise, you could shift it in favor of open loop if you didn't get Noctua fans... But then again, if you don't care about noise, you won't be interested in the MonsterLabo Beast, either.

Please make a (short) video about the gpu scams on Ebay. Here on the forum at least monthly I see topics of people asking if those deals are real.

No, a $200 GTX 1080 Ti with free shipping, 30+ in stock, 20 sold and 100% feedback, but no selling feedback can't be real at all. 100% scam.
Tell people not to fall for these as it's also a hassle to get your money back through Paypal. No one ever got a card delivered anyway.
Some investigation video about this could be nice, perhaps even on the Techquickie or other channel.

Hi everyone,

I have recently taken the plunge into the world of DIY electric skateboards. I am a huge fan of Linus Tech Tips and the whole team. My favourite episodes are when the team have a design and build project and seeing Alex at work with Linus.

I would love to see the team, design, build and ride an electric skateboard from scratch! It has everything a fantastic Linus video needs to be a hit!

What does everyone else think? Could we encourage Linus and the Team to make this happen?

Hey @Billy Bob Jay

Just wanted to let you know I have merged your thread into the LTT Video suggestion thread. Welcome to the Forums!

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

6 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Hey @Billy Bob Jay

Just wanted to let you know I have merged your thread into the LTT Video suggestion thread. Welcome to the Forums!

Thank you. I realised after I posted I put it in the wrong place.

Maybe you guys can do something with old gpu's? (like the 8800GTS 512 i have laying around here).

Since gpu's are nearly impossible to find people might be stuck with what they have.
Maybe like, how far back in time can you go before you would be better off with going for onboard/cloudgaming.

4 hours ago, Qbone93 said:

Maybe you guys can do something with old gpu's? (like the 8800GTS 512 i have laying around here).

Since gpu's are nearly impossible to find people might me stuck with what they have.
Maybe like, how far back in time can you go before you would be better off with going for onboard/cloudgaming.

I like this. GPU shortage is the hot topic here lately, so what if you guys do a video about video cards that can be used as stand-in until you get a proper GPU. This one is for the viewers who got no on-board graphics and would like to keep the CPU they got.

First of all it should perhaps explain what low end cards like GT710 and GT1030 are and how they are worse (or better?) than used old cards at similar price points and what their actual values would be in a world where these cards actually make it into consideration.

Points that could be addressed:
- Performance compared to on-board graphics (?)
- Driver support on latest windows (what's the oldest card that still has driver support from manufacturers right now?)
- DirectX, Vulkan, OpenGL, and other API supports on old cards
- Performance/games that would run

- GT1030 GDDR4 vs GDDR5 (should at least be mentioned, no need to discussed)

- Power consumption (?)
- Overclocking GTX 1030 / 710 (?)

I feel like low end cards deserve some re-visiting (or not?). They certainly almost never got any spotlights on the channel and it'd be great to educate viewers why these cards are good/bad/why these cards even bother existing.

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

How hard would it be for you guys to build or upgrade an Xbox or PlayStation (maybe Dreamcast?) with better parts than the official ones have? I'm curious to see how good of a system you could make.

Sitting here with my AMD A10 9620P powered HP laptop, which I play Portal, Portal 2, and older games like Star Wars: Battlefront (2004) on, I wonder just how new of a game a given platform could support? Alternatively, how old of a platform can support a given newer or current game? Might be interesting to do a video based around what integrated graphics will support game-wise, and what minimal graphics processing, integrated or not, would be needed for more current but still popular games. Rocket League is often used to show what can be done with even brand new systems, despite the fact it isn't the newest game around. People are still playing WoW, after all, and it doesn't demand much, and can be played on machines a couple of years old with integrated graphics fairly easily.

i dunno what it would be , but how about, best gaming PC from 1999, and you try and build it.