Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I've wanted to start streaming for a while but I'm not sure what kind of equipment I would need for a dedicated encoding computer.  Could you make a video outlining the minimum requirements for a dedicated encoding/streaming computer with a 1080p 60hz capture card?

Suggestion: Counter rotation push/pull fans. 

I stumbled across an old LTT video, from the days of unboxing things outside on a bench, where Linus shows a server fan featuring dual, counter rotating blades to improve static pressure and overall performance in a single housing. This made me wonder if applying the same concept to push/pull fan configurations for radiators would make any difference. So the push fan would be a normal fan, but the pull fan would counter rotate against the push fan. Would be interesting to see if this made any difference.

Youtube video in question: 

Also, reminds me of the Ka-50 from playing Arma II

Spoiler

Russian_Air_Force_Kamov_Ka-50.jpg

LMG should attempt to build their own gpu by soldering pieces of other gpus onto a gpu, resulting in a Frankenstein gpu.

Please Linus, I think this is a good idea and you have not done it yet as far as I can tell

Don’t take everything I say seriously 

take it with a grain of s a l t

Maybe more for a Chanel Super Fun but Hide and seek with airtags vs tile .
Maybe Airtags vs tile in the whole city to see which has more "reach / people using the tile app etc). See which is easier to use / find and has the best network?

Hi, i just watched this video.. ( besides most other ones from LTT)

Ik would like to see a " making-of " the intro (s) about :

1) What system setup used ?

2) What software used ?

3) A breakdown of all elements, effects etc. to create

this intro.

Anyone else interested in this and Linus will post a " making-of  "  about the (any) intro ?

The making-of  LTT store dot com.

Best regards.. 

Edited by Kilrah
Fix embed

How about taking a look at TCP Optimizer and similar apps that claim to make your internet better. I think it would be fun and educational for the masses.

Linus remember the Liqid bagger den? anyway u can get them to rent me one to like farm to chia ? haha..
Am very curious how long does the bagger take to plot 1 PiB.  

chia farmers lot of people including me are like scrambling to get the EQ.plot chai.. but weirdly  
in chia explorer the top farmer control about 1 eib worth of farm..

like 1/3 of the total network storage .>.<

Recently trying to upgrade my wifi and modem. And was having trouble getting the info I needed to know. What's able to be used for each company. 

A purchaser guide to buying you're next modem router or combo. Help everyone get away from that 15$ amonth

8 minutes ago, Quayleman89 said:

Recently trying to upgrade my wifi and modem. And was having trouble getting the info I needed to know. What's able to be used for each company. 

A purchaser guide to buying you're next modem router or combo. Help everyone get away from that 15$ amonth

This isn't really a good video idea for a couple reasons:

1) companies vary country to country or even region to region in the same country

2) each company has their own list of approved equipment which isn't standardized anywhere except on their site if you're lucky enough to be able to bring your own gear

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

32 minutes ago, Quayleman89 said:

Help everyone get away from that 15$ amonth

People actually pay to rent their modem? And $15?!
The most I was ever charged for one, is $5 CAD years ago.

These days, quite a few Canadian ISP just lend you their modem/router combo free of charge.

And like Lurick said, each ISPs have different requirement as far as modems go. They usually provide a very small list of modems that you can buy either from them directly or on your own if you find it for cheaper. They usually around $99.
As such, a video on this wouldn't be helpful.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Linus said many times in his videoes that charging slowly is better for the batter since it produces less heat.

Recently i've been experimenting on it and I've noticed that its the opposite for my Galaxy S10!

When I did slow chargin (not using the phone of course) I noticed that the phone gets significantly hotter than if I did fast charging! This was also the case with the older S8 I owned.

Maybe you guys should check this out? Am I the only one here? Maybe fast charging is better when you have a case on (which I do)?

I've watched a lot of videos across LMG. For the last three years at least I've watched every video and the term RAID comes up a lot. Now, I know that there are at least two techquickies on what RAID 0, 1, 10, 5, and 6 are but they're almost a decade old and TechQuickie has come a long way since then. 

I feel like a decent length video exploring RAID types and setups in specific might be really interesting. I get that there's a lot of LMGs server videos that often deal with various RAID setups. Youtube recently decided to suggest them to me, which is what got me thinking that an updated vid on RAID might be interesting.

I used to work as a tech and consultant, now I've become an odd person who plays dress-up and calls themselves a theatre maker.

My Rig: Ryzen 5 3600 | AsRock B450 Pro4 | Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB 3200Mhz | Asus TUF GeForce 1660 Super OC | Corsair Carbide 175r | XPG Core Reactor 750W
Keyboard Corsair K55 | Mouse Corsair Harpoon | Sound AKG 52 Headphones,

Ryzen 5000's release also brought about a very useful undervolting tool called Curve Optimizer. Instead of delivering a traditional undervolt, it actually shifts the voltage curve, bringing lower temps at the same clocks. It'd be really useful to have a well-done guide on this, as there isn't much about it. 

Build you're own custom laptop, you're own case, screen, everything. Might even be cool to see a battery in it. Would make for a fun video I feel.

The geek himself.

LTT could have an episode about DisplayPort and its features (or rather, lack thereof).

Apparently there's a "feature" in DisplayPort that makes Windows think a display is disconnected when it's really only in power save mode... which causes window positions to jump around when the display is returned to a normal state...

But wait, there's more! Many times Windows can't even send a proper "go to power save" signal to the display! Windows only blanks the screen and leaves the screen on, which is very noticable because the backlight is still on.

So it seems that DisplayPort doesn't quite play along with Windows... or maybe it's an nVidia problem. From what I've been able to gather none of them wants to fix it because they're blaming eachother (citation needed, I know, but I remember reading comments on Reddit about it).

I created a thread about it here: 

Unfortunately it seems the solution is to switch to HDMI, but that's a bit of a bummer for me as I have multiple displays and only one HDMI port on my graphics card.

I feel like this is something LTT could handle quite well. No hard feelings if they don't, but I really hope they do 🙂

As mentioned in the thread if the DP display disconnects when going in power save it's just the monitor that handles it poorly, it normally works perfectly fine.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

My question or idea they could attempt:

60 gamers 1 CPU
Concept: 1 pc separated into 60 virtual machines running Battlefield 2 or Quake 3 or whatever actually fits the description it would be fun to see what would work and what wouldn't.
Theory: Since the requirements for BF2 are:
CPU: 1core 2.4 Ghz
Ram: 1GB
GPU: min 256MB Vram (Geforce 9000 series and ATI radeon 9000 series and below)

So a cpu with 64 cores like an EPYC or a Threadripper cpu since the higher end ones have 64 cores and also 128 threads so every PC would get 1 core and two threads. 

Possible downfalls:
 - Win 10 not liking 2GBs of Ram meaning it has to be over 128GB in total.

- Win 10 not running well with 1 core 2 threads. Again limitations and the whole idea was what could be extracted from a single server alone. (Imagine QuakeCon Lan party style with A single server" that you connect to. )

- Not enough GPu power.
The original idea is to have if possible a single card or the least amount to handle the load. Obviously unaware of how graphics performance would look like, The overall graphics memory is not a limiting factor. One of the main reasons I suggest games like BF2 or things that can utilize more than just 8 players in a session and also kind of laughable to run on todays hardware.
 - Also how would one connect 60 monitors to one GPU? 

Curious what everyone thinks. 🙂 I wish I could make this myself following Linus's videos, unfortunately I won't have the funds to make something so batshoot crazy. 🙂

What about Chia coin mining on a ram drive!!!

quite recently der8auer did a video on how problematic it is to mine Chia on SSDs and the damage it does to the lifetime. So why not try do mine chia on a massive ass ram drive.. im sure you guys have an epic or two around with a few TB of jucy RAM..

and it would also be interesting to see how a super speed storage device would create any CPU bottleneckign for plotting!!!

Cheers! and keep doing the great work!

I don't know if this has been posted before but considering current hardware market Scrapyard wars would be pretty amazing as right now many people need "how to make a usable budget rig" more than ever 😉 

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

As mentioned in the thread if the DP display disconnects when going in power save it's just the monitor that handles it poorly, it normally works perfectly fine.

Not when it happens to multiple displays from different producers

Loading an operating system on a cpu's cache

loading an os on a gpu's vram

Comparing your sponsors products

Comparing Intel's new DG1 gpu for oems

On 5/11/2021 at 2:26 PM, Cris.py said:

I don't know if this has been posted before but considering current hardware market Scrapyard wars would be pretty amazing as right now many people need "how to make a usable budget rig" more than ever 😉 

I've just rewatched old SYW and I totally agree. I'd sort of assumed that between COVID and the work on Floatplane the scheduling for both Linus and Luke might be a big obstacle. I hope they do make another SYW though. They're always such fun.

I'd actually love to see a SYW that focused on making computers capable of playing older games. Like pick a gaming generation (maybe like the original Tomb Raider, Command and Conquer, or CoD era) and try and build a computer capable of playing said games. It might even make for a couple of differing approaches. Like if one team used period equipment and another put together cheaper, more modern rigs that relied more on other solutions like VMs or Dosbox etc.

I used to work as a tech and consultant, now I've become an odd person who plays dress-up and calls themselves a theatre maker.

My Rig: Ryzen 5 3600 | AsRock B450 Pro4 | Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB 3200Mhz | Asus TUF GeForce 1660 Super OC | Corsair Carbide 175r | XPG Core Reactor 750W
Keyboard Corsair K55 | Mouse Corsair Harpoon | Sound AKG 52 Headphones,

Curious if Linus would be interested in producing video on high end water cooling rig with his recent automotive radiator and ekwb active blackplate in mind. Might provide some interesting comparisons and results for the community.

My rig is currently down awaiting the new heatkiller internal radiators (ordered and just waiting shipping) and features an Optimus AM4 Foundation block and Optimus FTW3 GPU Block, BP + Optimus Fittings and Aquacomputer Eco-System (D5 Next, Ultitube 150, AQ6LT, Next Flow Meter (i'm waiting for replacement unit) in an Caselabs S8. I also will be upgrading my Mo-Ra3 420 to Dual Top D5 (2 x D5 Next). It has an Aquacomputer Octo Controller with Lianli SL140 fan. Working on the RGB part as i need an Farbwerk 360 (OOS atm).  Powered by its own PSU (jumpered). Even planning an giveaway of the one of the Heatkiller internal radiators (360mm 30mm) as i ordered an extra unit.

Long time fan, but slow video watcher. 

I just watched the video "This keyboard is a $100 computer!!! - Raspberry Pi 400" on short circuit (I know I am pretty behind). I own a RPi 4, and I OCed the device, and enabled hardware acceleration on Chromium https://www.linuxuprising.com/2021/04/how-to-enable-hardware-acceleration-in.html , and I found the RPi became much more capable at being a desktop replacement. Even playing youtube I found it to be much more quicker than what was presented on that video. I wanted to see if it was possible for the channel to revisit the RPi and just go ham on the OC, and try to run as many games as they can. I think it'll be kind of a fun quick video. 

Thanks,

i believe a video series about ordering gpu's from a bunch of different places, like aliexpress, wish, alibaba, taobao, just a bunch of fake/real gpu's in a series would be pretty cool, i dont have a lot of money, so i can't do it, but i know ltt can