Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

What about a twist on mineral oil cooled computers. Instead of using mineral oil, how about lots of thermal paste. The majority of thermal paste is not electrically conductive so I'd imagine this could work. Basically build a computer in a tub and then just dump a load of thermal paste in it. Would be interesting to see what the temperatures would be.

On 3/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Android 12 is coming up....can you make a video about roms and their quirks how safe and good they are and all that .....uk the rest  

There is a company co-founded by a former Apple employee that created a speaker and would like to hear Linus's thoughts if/when he ever decides to review said speaker. I could not find anything on the forums about them.
https://syngspace.com

On 3/20/2019 at 9:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

A bunch of wi-fi repeaters/extenders connected to each other to see when they lose connection

2nd or 3rd idea here.

Still think the Linus only video challenge would be great, but another idea I had is a case price comparison thingy.

Sounds confusing, but let me explain.

Case prices range from 20 bucks to those absurd ones in the PC Pro and No Compromises builds, and my idea is to take cases from different price ranges and compare them.

For example, the cheapest could be one of those 25 dollar Rosewills used in the No Dollar Wasted anthony build guide

Then you could do something for 40-55 like the Thermaltake Versa H17/18 or a Cougar Case

Then around like 70-90 for like Phanteks P360A or Corsair 4000D Airflow

Then like 150 for an 011 D

Then 200 and 400 and so on.

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

Can you make a video about the "proof of..." That we listen a lot on cryptocurrency? What does all those mean and which are eco friendly? 

Thx

Try gaming from as far away as possible using 100meter long HDMI cable. For input devices like mouse and keyboard idk. (pic : linus tech dips)

777765488_linstechdips.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_cluster

Transform a Gaming Laptop into a Watercooled all in one desktop!

I know alot of people already tried this but it would be interesting to see a Top Of The Line Gaming Laptop turns into a watercooled all in one desktop LOL

David VS Goliath case building competition.

Where you put the smallest possible case against the largest consumer grade case.

And see which one preforms the best:

Rules:

1 Each case must be capable of housing the same hardware

1-1 this rule is to prevent 1 case from having only onboard while the other has a quad Crossfire RX6900XT

2 There is no limit to the amount of Radiators.

3 external Radiators are allowed but only of they are a ready to use product [like the Zalman Reserator].

4 no macgyver style cooling loop.

5 Linus must test each PC not knowing which is which.

6 Rate the build score of how easy it is to build/upgrade

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Raspberry pi for gaming both handheld and connected to a TV. Also a Raspberry pi pc with a pc styled case. Also making your own test bench with an old pc

Screenshot_20210427-133501_Firefox.jpg

Edited by mwalton07

Gaming from a sailboat via Starlink? 

Can you guys PLEASE make a video on this? Elon has said this would be possible but I have yet to see anyone do it. I’ve heard of antennas being stabilized via gimbals and accelerometer software but have never seen it done. I am a gamer who fell in love with Battlefield V. Once renting became too expensive I moved to a sailboat but can no longer enjoy video games as I do not have internet. A video with a solution to this would be incredible as well as unique. You could use my sailboat for the video. 

I would love to see a video about RAM sticks...

The effective comparison with a base system and swapping the different RAMs DDR3, DDR4, what real difference a 1333MHz memory have with a 1600MHz, the latency differences with same clocks, the effects of overclocking/underclocking, using in dual channels and not etc.

I used 32GB of DDR3 Corsair Vengeance (4 sticks, paired 2 by 2 - one pair vengeance pro 1600 - 9-9-9-24 and the other a vengeance 1600 - 10-10-10-27) They ended up only working at 1333, since the latency of both was 10-10-10 @1333... I allways wondered how much I've lost in performance for this.

Also I see a lot of newer motherboards having only support for DDR4 up to 3200MHz on them... I wonder if I could only find 3600 modules and underclock it how much will be lost in performance...

Although I can find some material in the internet about this none seem consistent and they do not use the same baselines for testing... This makes every attempt I do in trying to make a comparison a failed job...

Please help 🙂

Thanks Guys!

Samsung G3 monitor not feeling so good, samsung did something good but makes a monitor not worth buying for anything.

techless coverage of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h_Ks9z5C_M

and dell at it again?

Worse Than Walmart: Dell G5 5000 PC’s Garbage Parts & Hidden Charges - Gamers Nexus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DMg6hUudHE

My idea is in the form of a challenge. How far into 2021 can a Windows 2000 based computer be effective for a workstation, gaming machine, browsing, home entertainment and even doing things like secure online purchases (amazon, ebay, lttstor.com, etc)

The machines could be virtual or actual with no limits placed on performance. It's not about vintage hardware. It's about how far you can take an OS.

This can be done for other OS types as well, (win 98, NT4 ,XP etc) as well as Apple.

How "future proof" could these old OSs be, in theory and in practice, in skilled hands?

Create a chart showing the last year each OS version might be truly viable with the aim of applying whatever hacks and mods to stretch it out.  What happened in that year that "killed" the OS? Security and official support could be left aside for the purposes of the exercise.

It may be the kind of content that lends itself to collaborations.

I like ... Build Competitions - it generates banter and fun!

The 'real world' builds competitions between the staff could be an annual series that would not only pit the staff against one-another, but ....   Intel vs AMD ... !!!!  (I guess getting in spouses and other youtubers could be fun)

Round one;   

ALL the staff get a $300 (or as low as you can practically go)  budget to build the fastest PC they can (all components must be in that years offerings from the manufacturers).   Half the staff have to build Intel, half build AMD, and you have to build the full pc (minus keyboard, screen etc) for the build price.

Define a set of games and applications to install and run, to test performance, both games and software (e.g. blender  and GTA5) 

CPU manufacturers get the 'best bang for your buck' award if they have the fastest machines.

Top builders go onto round 2!   set a higher budget level, say $600. Again, half have intel, half have AMD.  

After a few rounds, you will have;

estimates of who makes the 'best bang for your buck' cpus at each price level,

some great content produced,

the built PCs auctioned off (proceeds to good causes?) or given as prizes.

... And a final showdown between the top 2 or 4 builders ... a fixed (real world) budget, and pitting intel vs AMD.   Set the budget high, but low enough, so that they really need to squeeze the value out of every component, make compromises here to allow more budget there for higher performance.

You could add .... they need to allow budget for their time.  

Round 1;  $300 budget for hardware and their time costs $0 (charity work pay rate)

Round 2; $600 budget for hardware and their time at 'helping out a friend' rates - the cost of plying you with coffee, beer and pizza while you work .. say $5 per hour.  Score docked for going over budget.

Round 3; $1000 budget and $15p/h.

The final.  $2000 budget and professional sportsmen PC builders rate $50 per hour.

What if you used the waste heat from a computer to run a fridge? It doesn't necessarily have to be a full blown fridge, but a scaled down prototype to see if the concept works. It might be an interesting take on using the heat for something besides making the room stuffy.

What about a 2021 mic round up i think a lot of people would find that useful. I find that the world of mics is quite confusing. i think you could have it be a longer video with different price ranges so like a $0-$100 and than a $100+ range (budget and then not so buget). I mostly say this because my blue yeti just broke and i sorta want to know what to replace it with but i do think a good old round up/ what to buy in 2021.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qm9Mwc

Main Project:

A desk that has a hatch that opens in the middle of it and then goes down flush with the desk. 

Other projects I am working on 

• Sleeper TI-99 4A
  • Second Keyboard

You May have looked over something in this video. A continuous piece of PGS attached to the heat-sink and CPU, linking them together to spread the heat, then doubled it over to mount it. I made a simple graphic to help visualize(it is supposed to be a side view).

PGS App..png

Would be pretty cool to see a CPU being cooled by a heatsink made up of other CPUs.

Hej !

I think it would be nice for Linus's team to do a benchmark and quality/performance comparison for Metro Exodus and the Enhanced edition, especially on RT and DLSS.

What do you think ?

1 minute ago, Niidhogg said:

Hej !

Other people have already done super indepth stuff with it

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?