Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Here is an idea I'm thinking of implementing inside my laptop. I want to insert two Intel H10 256 or 512Gb modules into a Dual M.2 Key 2.5 SSD Adapter Card and RAID striping them to achieve ultimate SSD supremacy.

If you did a video like this I'd suggest getting a Gaming laptop with two 2.5 SSD bays and 2 M.2 slots already on the motherboard. (Maybe aside for the WLAN slot, unless Y'all go nuts.) Hopefully you'd also put the 32Gb/2Tb version of the H10 chips so you'd have a combined capacity of 12Tb and 192Gb of Optane cache. Then you'd almost have enough cache capacity the entire folder for COD Warzone.

Of course, I haven't done the research yet as to whether it will work as I'm hoping, and I wont have much time as I am moving soon.

How about doing a video on special desktops (as in custom desks not computers) made using epoxy resin.

For inspiration look at: https://www.youtube.com/c/StoneCoatCountertops/about

Some ideas:
- Obviously RGB. (Semi) transparant Epoxy in or under  the desk

- Special designs, combined with LEDs (challenge: get this https://wallpapercave.com/w/96mqVUp in there with LED backlight lighting up the triforce 🙂

- build in screen in the desktop by cannibalizing an old laptop (look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrqdHVeBkp4) I think you can get a screen in completely flush with the desktop....

- make a 'river table' where the water of the water cooling runs through the 'river' ( check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AmIfEUlKB4 on what a river table is )

- special cable management, by encasing power and reset button, as well as leds, USB (using usb extension  cables) into the desktop. To connect to the actual mainboard I would use these: https://www.amazon.com/Covvy-Terminal-Connector-Ethernet-Extender/dp/B07C1PM8KS/ in combination with dupont jumper wires to connect to the mainboard and then use an old ethernet cable to connect to the encased buttons and leds. That way you can disconnect the PC when needed. That is, for those like me that hide their pc's under the desk 😉

1 hour ago, Z_OG3 said:

Of course, I haven't done the research yet as to whether it will work as I'm hoping

The adapter is to U.2, laptops don't have those.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I don't know if it's been suggested before but I recently found that company called framework that do completely modular laptops that can be upgraded overtime instead of throwing away and buying a new one.

https://frame.work/products/laptop

Epoxy resin is NOT electrically conductive.
Just get the no metallic additive epoxy, make sure its non conductive.
Then encase a desk pc in epoxy. 
Literally pour it into a mould with parts setup like a desk pc. 3+ inches thick, encasing the parts?  Yes, pour epoxy on a motherboard, ect.  Remove the mould, and you have a pc suspended within an acrylic looking desktop.
Epoxy is also thermally conductive.
- Epoxy can be done in layers; pour a thin opaque layer, then after that cures fill it with clear, so you're not looking at your knees.
- Cooling; custom water with reservoir (or manifold) encased with rads and pump mounted on the underside of the table, 
- VRM, PSU's and other specific parts may have a problem with it and need special attention,
- RGB the hell out of it,
- DEFINITELY a one time risk build, no upgrade path ever, no repair ... ever, and the chance of building it and it just not start is real ... might one day be a narly piece of wall art.
Sounds like the perfect LTT project.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Building a pc in mineral oil. aka fish tank pc

2 hours ago, BLT_Sharpies said:

Building a pc in mineral oil. aka fish tank pc

They've got a few videos about that from a few years ago (and said they wouldn't do it again due to the awful mess)

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

9 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

They've got a few videos about that from a few years ago (and said they wouldn't do it again due to the awful mess)

ok. It would definetly make a huge mess. LOL

DDR5 RAM:

I know you get a million suggestions a day but I'd love a video on the viability of holding off building a new rig until DDR5 releases.

I built my last rig in 2013 and DDR4 came out soon after. Games nowadays ask for 16gb RAM minimum, and my old "future proofed" MITX rig with 16gb DDR3 is effectively running at roughly 8gb in comparison. On the other hand DDR5 has been delayed from 2018 to now. Is it worth waiting potentially another year trying to stretch out my old rig knowing whatever I buy now won't be future proofed? Will buying 64gb DDR4 "is more than enough", be laughable when 128gb single DDR5 chips are released? 

Please let us know any insider/industry secrets you might know!

Thanks, big fan btw!

The whole power supply market is quite confusing for new pc enthusiasts or people who have been absent for many years. there are so many different brands and specifications out there right now. some way too expensive even for someone with deep pockets and others that are obviously garbage.  but what about seemingly up and coming brands like aresgame? i've seen reviews on forums saying that they have been working great without issue for years and people who have never touched them say they are awful and dangerous based off of price alone. I would love to see a video covering the an overall guide to power supplies from various brands and prices and stress testing until they blow to get a sense of what's actually quality and what's garbage. NOTE: i have used aresgame power supplies of various wattages in many builds both personally and commercially and they have never once hitched or failed for me but the price is definitely a bit suspicious to say the least.

@Chogg928 I have merged your video request into the official video suggestion thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

A Video about a problem that Xbox Wireless Adapter has on PC. It is an issue that existed for a long time, but only now has gain some traction again with the release of Xbox Wireless headset. As can be seen on these threads:

Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows issues with Atmos/Sonic spatial - Microsoft Community

[PC] Xbox Wireless Headset + Dolby Atmos = Audio - Microsoft Community

Basically if you use Xbox Wireless Adapter and turn on Dolby Atmos for Headphones, you get audio cut outs or sttuters while using any headset that is connected with Xbox Wireless Adapter, that includes official Microsoft headset. Gears 5, The Division 2, Warzone, Metro Exodus all have problems. No fix for it and Microsoft advertises Xbox Wireless headset with Atmos support with the Wireless Adapter on PC.

There is little info on the net and reviews don't mention it so it would be good to spread some awarness of the issue.

Are you doing a video about new mid  ranged gaming laptops with rtx 3060? Such as helios 300 and Asus Tuf F15?

Let @GabenJr spread his retro RGB nerd wings and FLY! Do a video on the RetroTink 5X or give the dude his own retro gaming channel.

There's a retro gaming shaped hole in LMG content.

On 5/7/2021 at 3:13 PM, TypingCat said:

I used to lap swim as my primary form of exercise. I quit partially because I didn't have the means to listen to my sweet beats in the process.

Not sure if James is a swimmer but I've greatly enjoyed his headphone reviews. A "It's James, but this time, UNDERWATER" feature would be hilarious and informative.

I agree! About 5 years ago I think, some company (Sony?) had a headphone set, sold in a waterbottle to demonstrate waterproofness. Today it seems hard to find anything comparable.

Also you could extend that to other forms of exercise. I use Plantronics Backbeat Fit for years to listen to music, podcasts and audiobooks on the bike. They are excellent, as they dont seal of surrounding noise in traffic. But the microphone is horrible, so calling someone is a nightmare.
In effect: Using headphones under special circumstances could be an interesting topic.

One more, but an even smaller niche and rather an anecdote: My wife is looking for small and convenient headphones for listening to meditations during labour (child birth). So they should stay on for >12 hours, be rather invisible and nice to wear. Also her ears are really really small so the silicone inserts and clips often dont fit... However, could be a fun video I suppose.

Can you do a long term review of the m1 macbook air (or pro)?

Interesting topics (for me atleast):

Are any of you using it on a daily/weekly basis?

Are there any prominent problems?

What can be expected regarding windows/linux compatibility from boot or in VMs?

Any input for how they would be to use for developers, considering usage of Azure/AWS?

Is it worth buying, or is it probably better to wait for some possible next gen m1 macbooks later this year?

I think it would make a good short circuit video.

This godforsaken issue.

So many experiencing it. No clear solution. This needs attention. I suspect windows being weird. But this seems like a conspiracy at this point. Seriously this bug with its current attributes would be considered at least a euclid class SCP in the SCP universe.

A blind latency test with faster gear (8000 Hz mouse + 8000Hz keyboard + 360Hz monitor) from 2021 would be nice.

As of now the fastest gear combo would be: 

Corsair K65 Mini (8000Hz Keyboard) + Razer Viper Mini (8000Hz Mouse) + AW2521H (360Hz Monitor with low input lag) paired with the fastest CPU and GPU (for the lowest frame times)

Heck you can even reduce audio latency by using a high sampling rate with a small buffer size (1ms/1000Hz), but it's going to be motherboard dependent. USB Audio drivers use 10ms buffers by default, so avoid those.

Bonus would be testing with hardware variables, like chipset connected USB vs PCIe chipset vs Thunderbolt hub

I'd like an overview of options for Wireless HDMI, I'm looking to detach my PC from its current home beside my tv and upgrade to a much larger tv.

I figure it'd be a good video to get wireless HDMI options at a variety of price points and compare them.

(In Europe) electricity is quite expensive,
so there's a small niche for energy efficient home-servers.
(After a few years you can save the cost of the entire server in energy cost, compared to a normal server)

It's accomplished by using specific components.

PSU:
PicoPSU paired with a LEICKE adapter (or other quality brand adapter)
Which one of the PicoPSU's / adapters you need (wattage) depends on your configuration (#drives / type of drives / ...)

Efficient servergrade motherboard:
Fujitsu D3643-H (No ECC, 4x sata)
Fujitsu D3644-B (ECC, 6x sata)

Harddrives:
Mostly "shucked" 2.5" portable harddrives are used as they consume much less idle and during operation.
You can use 3.5" drives, but the idle consumption of these drives is quite high and could force you to get a stronger power supply.
(If you spin up all 3.5" drives at once, the PSU might not be able to supply the current necessary)

A common configuration is:
Intel Core i3-9100
Fujitsu D3644-B
Leicke ULL Power Supply 120W
Mini-Box picoPSU 90W
Arctic alpine 12 Passive
NVME SSD
x shucked 2.5" portable drives

Using this it's quite easy to run under 5W idle (only one hdd).
A good segway (hehe) could be the mining craze that's wasting energy.

Picture of my server is attached.
If you need more info, hit me up!

374947625_low-powerserver.jpg

Hello! Newbie here.

One topic I'd love to see a dedicated video about is the concept of Portable Programs. From what I understand they're programs that you can run without fully installing onto the system. I tend to get mine from https://portableapps.com/ to use on work computers but I'd love to know a bit more about how they work.

Hello,

I know how much LInus loves he's unraid servers so how about doing some good with the idle time and crunch some boinc and help with the covid19 projects. You can also earn Gridcoins by doing that.. Gridcoin is a proof of stake blockchain that rewards boinc crunchers that spare their cpu/gpu for science calculations.

Unraid community applications have both dockers containers so it's fairly easy setup.

(Somehow) Mount a desktop AIO to the heatsink of different types of gaming laptops to try to achieve desktop-like cooling performance.

For example, use a high end gaming laptop known to be a room heater or a budget laptop with good specs but known for poor cooling design not giving the expected experience as-is.

This would be interesting to see if it could ever be adopted into the actual design of a laptop, something along the lines of popping off a section of the bottom casing (like ram/storage compartments) and being able to twist lock on and change from portable cooling to an AIO designed to offer desktop like performance!