Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Soooo... hiya! New here. Hoping I‘m doing this right. Long read, I know, but bear with me.

I would love to see a slightly more complex video that would prolly end up on the main channel.

Following up on the Xbox Series S Emulation video, I would love to see a video where you emulate a (light) linux distro such as mint or arch (looking at you Anthony) on one of the new xboxes via dev mode.

You would of course need a UWP version of a virtual machine on the xbox, but I haven’t been able to find something like that. There has been something similar before:

Dosbox on Xbox dev mode

Retroarch is also a prime example for something like this being possible. I think that VirtualBox would be a good choice since it is open source and could be shared with the community once the project is done.

In addition to that, I have some more reading material regarding this whole UWP conversion thing:

Windows Developer Blog

A howtogeek article

These posts both say that this only works for windows 10 desktop apps, but I think that some of you code wizards at LTT can get that to work.

The goal would be to turn a 300$/500$ beast of a console into something of a capable PC. There would be some serious limitations such as performance, drivers could be a big issue. But once these burdens are overcome, you‘d have a good PC running on a nice linux distro, great for lighter workloads such as web surfing/document editing with actual windows and stuff, that could essentially „boot“ out of dev mode and be an amazing console.

I really hope you read this through, I put quite a bunch of time into research but since I don’t even have an Xbox that isn’t of much use to me. However I do think that this would have a lot of mass appeal, so it’d make not just me very happy to see you do this.

It really wont be that hard to create a clear vinyl skin with braille markings so she could read that menu.  It would also make a great Dbrand partner video.   

On 3/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips
Video idea: "Will a phone game faster with the SIM tray removed and air blowing into it?". Like you could use a Bloie-matron or a PC fan and blow air into the sim tray section of the phone. In theory it should make things cooler and perform better.

"Fan Control Software That Doesn't Suck"  Video.

With Speedfan being basically obsolete/unsupported for newer hardware and with many people still in need of a fan control software that isn't buggy name brand software, I think a good video idea would be looking at and compare alternatives. Personally I was doing fine with speedfan until I started playing games that uses battle-eye. Apparently battle-eye deem it necessary to completely nuke speedfan and make it unusable... even after closing the games.

"FanControl" by forum member Rem0o is the first one I think deserves a deep look into! Free/donationware that looks good and works great. It's basically as good as it can get for a standalone no-bs non-proprietary fan control! It has a lot of functions. The recently added mixed fan curves and mixed temperature sensors with average/max/sum options for automatic fan control based on which component is the hottest, alone makes it better than speedfan ever was.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1099996-fancontrol-my-take-on-a-speedfan-replacement/

"Argus Monitor" is another program that I've read works well. It is paid software that has what I assume are sort of similar features and more monitoring capabilities but with an older looking UI. But that's really all I know about it.
https://www.argusmonitor.com/

Hey guys, how about you test Stablebit Drivepool for data backup? I am using it at the moment personally, with 4x4tb drives, and don't have any issues. But I do not want to test the data recovery from them, since I do not want to loose my data. How does it compare to mainstream solutions? 

Budget (including currency): 800

Linus needs to do an Facebook market place build

What?

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

do you think linus should do a video where he tries to buy used parts via the facebook market place? if so suggest it in the LTT Official video ideas thread.

you've posted this in new builds and planning, which is a subforum where you show your ideas for a build and can recive feedback on the build you've made.

you haven't included what currency the 800 you've mentioned is so for all we know you could could want help with a build for 800 vietnameese dong, which is quite rough.

Edit.

this and the post from Kanna above were responses to a thread created by TheTechBoyMC that got merged.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

Hello Linus,

I hope this gets to you 😉. This is my first post. I recently had an idea about possible video series about PC history (x86). Well I am sure I am not the first one. Wouldn’t it be interesting to go simply Year-after-Year cherry picking the most interesting PC tech.

It may involve showing old computers and its components including graphics cards, operating systems, gaming at these time periods, tech-demos, etc. The ideas are almost endless and looking back you can focus on things which were really interesting.

I know the scale would perhaps depend on YT audience´s interest so the final result could be lightweight history or more deep look into it, with explaining and demonstrating technical things (M-Keyboard ;-), graphic standards, FAT systems, ramdacs, … glide, etc etc), contacting collectors (or even building registration form for them if they would be willing to borrow their tech pieces), may be even contacting people from the industry history.

1981 – first IBM PC and possibly what was its origin and operating system

1982 – Intel introduces 286, why Hercules Graphics card was so popular

1983 – IBM PC XT, MS-DOS 2.0, XT-clones…

1984 – IBM PC AT, EGA

1985 – first x86 32bit, MS-DOS 3.0

1986 – Graphics cards back then, Trident, ATI Graphics Solution

1987 – IBM PS/2 (industry standards), Tseng, Windows 2.0

1988 – SVGA, MS-DOS 3.3

1989 – 486

1990 – XGA, Windows 3.0, Tseng ET3000

1991 – faster CPUs, Graphics, DOS 5.0, Sound Blaster 16

1992 – Vesa Local Bus, 486 DX2, other CPU vendors, ATI Mach 32, Windows 3.1

1993 – first Pentiums (socket 5), S3 Graphics, WD Paradise, MS-DOS 6.0/Win 3.11, mp3?

1994 – PCI, 486 DX4, faster Pentiums, graphic cards of that year, last MS-DOS 6.22

… definitely not complete, may be nor accurate, but it can go on – 5x86, first GeForce, first Radeon, first 1GHz x86 CPU, first x64 CPU, cheap lines of CPUs, systems (Win 95/98/NT/Me/2000…) until some reasonable year.

There would be a lot of work and research behind it. It would require enthusiasm. To put these videos together definitely needs someone who is a fan. But I think nobody on YT started so huge and complete project on PC history and I think LTT has what it takes to make it possible 💯. Something like LTT Chronicles ;-) .. or legacy if u want.

What do you think? PS: Sorry if my English is not right. And sorry if it's too long..

Make a PC that boots off of a tape drive (or multiple in RAID) 😆. Serious Meme Potential. They have some pretty fast read speeds for things linearly, as long as you don't need to jump around... So tons in raid could be interesting.

I would like to see LTT look into ergonomic office equipment in the work place. Standing desks, blue light filtering glasses, vertical mouse, ergo chairs, etc:

• It would be good to see what equipment is currently being used at your company
  • What LTT employees would like to get to improve their work environment and reduce risk of injury
  • Possibly partner with supplier to advertise equipment and improve the LTT office
  • Would be educational for viewers to help them know what they could get to improve their workspace, whether working at home or in an office.
  • Inform people that most companies will provide ergo equipment with a doctor's note; I got a standing desk and vertical mouse when I worked for a major bank
  • Possible do a blind chair test. I know GN recently did something similar and you could elaborate on that and include additional equipment.

How many monitors do you need with R1000 to make a 360 and are there other options than Samsung? AND what PC do you need to run them (Not that important in this future video ;)) 

1 minute ago, Sepura said:

How many monitors do you need with R1000 to make a 360 and are there other options than Samsung? AND what PC do you need to run them (Not that important in this future video ;)) 

Yes i have a VR google and yes this is totally not usable. But 100% LTT media..

On 1/26/2021 at 11:46 AM, Diffracted said:

"Fan Control Software That Doesn't Suck"  Video.

With Speedfan being basically obsolete/unsupported for newer hardware and with many people still in need of a fan control software that isn't buggy name brand software, I think a good video idea would be looking at and compare alternatives. Personally I was doing fine with speedfan until I started playing games that uses battle-eye. Apparently battle-eye deem it necessary to completely nuke speedfan and make it unusable... even after closing the games.

"FanControl" by forum member Rem0o is the first one I think deserves a deep look into! Free/donationware that looks good and works great. It's basically as good as it can get for a standalone no-bs non-proprietary fan control! It has a lot of functions. The recently added mixed fan curves and mixed temperature sensors with average/max/sum options for automatic fan control based on which component is the hottest, alone makes it better than speedfan ever was.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1099996-fancontrol-my-take-on-a-speedfan-replacement/

"Argus Monitor" is another program that I've read works well. It is paid software that has what I assume are sort of similar features and more monitoring capabilities but with an older looking UI. But that's really all I know about it.
https://www.argusmonitor.com/

This is a great idea.  I ended up using and paying for Argus Monitor, and I don't regret it, but I have to imagine there's more than two up to date options.

Do a video like this one, except with at least either an RTX 3080/3090 where you work your way from a more sensible solution like undervolting/underclocking + increasing fan speed + swapping thermal pads all the way to simply throwing the new and improved chiller at the problem.  Why the RTX 3080/3090 you might ask, well because:

1. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hwinfo64-adds-gddr6x-temp-monitoring-rtx30series

On 3/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Do a Trial for pearOS a linux distro based on Kubuntu

4 hours ago, linuxChips2600 said:

Do a video like this one, except with at least either an RTX 3080/3090 where you work your way from a more sensible solution like undervolting/underclocking + increasing fan speed + swapping thermal pads all the way to simply throwing the new and improved chiller at the problem.  Why the RTX 3080/3090 you might ask, well because:

1. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hwinfo64-adds-gddr6x-temp-monitoring-rtx30series

Screw that just do a VRAM-100%-load focused revisit of this video, because

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Linus Tech Tips

Sketchy stuff from ali express is always fun to watch, high end/midrange audiophile headphone round up, more workstation focused builds as opposed to gaming focused builds, as many others said a home security video would be appreciated, bring back cool tech under $100, more showcase builds we need a compensator 4 with a threadripper pro and dual 3090's, budget home nas, a budget phone roundup would be nice to see from ltt but I don't really see that being a super successful video, and the last idea I pulled out of my ass is a staff (riley, Colton, Anthony, ect.)  build competition winner gets a 3080/3090.  

can you make a video about windows phone maybe? to see if its still usable in 2021? its been just over a year since its last update. (January 14, 2020)

i really would like to see if project astoria(installing android apps on windows phones) can still be used or not. with anthony's knowledge maybe you can even update it and revive windows 10 mobile again? i have a lumia 1520 and i really liked that phone. i'd like to use it as my secondary phone if astoria can be activated again.

I know LTT has already done the Highlander, but I'd love to see a sequel at an even higher height. It would also be cool to see a video with them at a very deep depth in the earth having a Lan party.

Team up with austan evens and bitwit and do the worlds largest gaming and most powerfull pc that can support ur entire staff team

I come from a film/game vfx background and while 4k/240 hz monitors are good and all, i wondered if you knew about the 3840-7860 hz led tiles they are using in virtual production studios, like the work ILM did on the Mandalorian.

Im not involved directly, but from what i gather they use a number of powerful rigs using beefy quartos.

I have no idea if you can game on the set up but I thought you'd like to try and if it works it would be very immersive too.

I know there are a couple of studios set up in Surrey and south Burnaby and more are being setup and planned as the film industry is suffering and this is a great way to get to far off lands with out risking traveling and covid

You guys do gaming builds at the end of the year, right? Can you compare those computers to each other so we can so how much performance we gain over the last year?

Would be nice to see how a pc from dec 2018 compares to a computer from dec 2019 and so on. I think it would be interesting to see something like "a pc that cost $600 in 2020 is X% faster than a $600 pc from 2019"