Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I've been trying to upgrade my PC for months and as everyone is well aware, you can't get anything. I gave up trying to find reasonably priced hardware for gaming and decided to dive deep into my home network. I would love to see LMG do a multi part series on home network. Feature a good, better, best scenario. Integrate the whole home network and build all three. routing and switching, NAS, home server (plex, file storage, virtualization etc) NVR yada yada yada. I've spent a lot of money on trial and error. It would be a fun topic that I think all of us could learn from. pros and cons of buying a retired server from ebay, to building your own, deploying a raid, Unifi, Amplify, 2.5 Gb, 10 Gb, Cameras, UDM Pro, Access Points, Mesh antennas, making cables, patch panels, keystone wall plates, Battery Backup the list goes on and on and on. Again, all this stuff is readily available for purchase, unlike the gaming market. You just did a great show on ECC ram! keep it rolling!

Thanks

Multi-monitor setups for workstations - 6+ monitors (with a single workstation graphics card like a Quadro or Radeon Pro) that will work reliably.

Longtime viewer first time poster.

I work in commercial construction doing mostly CAD drawings and reviewing PDF plans. I have always needed at least three (3) monitors to work efficiently, but lately since I became a department head, I am having a growing need to have as many monitors as I can possibly hook up to my workstation. I have to draft autoCAD sets of drawings, review PDF architectural drawings, compare with the CAD and other PDF drawings, write emails, fill and send documents, file management, and so on. 

I cannot for the life of me find any decent official information on how to install more than 3  or 4 monitors on a pre-built big brand workstation. Since my, and other companies that I have worked for purchases the workstations from big brand names, the motherboards typically only have one PCIe 16x slot on these pre-built workstations. 

The only solution that seems to be viable is  having a workstation graphics card using DisplayPort Splitters, although, the results seem to be all over the place from working most of the time to needing to re-boot the workstations and monitors to get the handshakes to make the monitors detect video signal. (Typically AutoCAD and associated CAD add ins need system re-boots at least once a day so the programs do not crash the files, I have never had a workstation in 15 years that could be kept on for multiple days straight without problems, so, re-boots and downtime are kind of a big drag on work)

So the VIDEO IDEA is trying to make something like a 6 to 9 monitor setup with a single workstation graphics card. There doesnt seem to be any reasonable way to do it that wont cost less than $1500 USD - BUT- I dont even know if it will work reliably or work at all. 

The inhibitors are:

1. half height workstation graphics cards due to slim cases

2. limited display outputs with either half height cards or only one PCIe slot availible in the workstation

3. Display Port splitters seem to be un-reliable depending on the setup or monitor input type/ adapters

4. Display Port splitters have maximum total output resolutions depending on desired resolutions.

5. Very limited documentation on the use of workstation graphics cards with multiple monitor adapters, 

6. very limited documentation on the use of two or more reasonably priced workstation graphics cards in one workstation

7. Reliability seems to be the downfall of these setups, with updating software from the vendors at least once a year, reliable setups are worth multitudes over un-reliable setups as the lost productivity cascades when you add up the hourly rates of everyone you hold up on downtime. if you cannot just walk into your office and fire up your workstation and start working you are not working right.

I would like to setup at least a 6 monitor setup at home and at work, but since its best to buy all the monitors, splitters, cables, monitor mount, and graphics card all at once without trying it out first is a huge money and time risk to take not knowing if it will be reliable or even work.

Like how your team was one of the first to produce a fairly comprehensive video on the real world system requirements on prosumer engineering setups for solidworks and CAD, I havent found any decent comprehensive video on how to hookup a ton of monitors to a single PC that is reliable.

-Jonathan

Will ECC memory and a quadro improve Adobe Premiere and after effects stability?

I'd really like LMG staff to investigate this further  It will make for a highly informative video

In 2015 I heard that premiere is really picky with RAM . Some modules can cause crashing and that replacing the modules would fix that. I responded by saying "Then why not go for ECC memory?"

Ever since then, i have wondered, whether using ECC memory AND A QUADRO RTX will improve Premiere and After Effect's stability or not.

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

26 minutes ago, Indus Monk said:

Ever since then, i have wondered, whether using ECC memory AND A QUADRO RTX will improve Premiere and After Effect's stability or not.

should likely be still picky, but if the ram is an issue then I guess ECC would be nothing to make it worse and hopefully improve. then again you need everything to accept ECC though, from RAM, MB, CPU.

One suggestion I have, would it be possible to get more guests on the WAN show?

The holy grail (and very unlikely) would be Dr Ian Cutress but I loved Wendell when he was on, Kyle is funny AF, Jay, Gamers Nexus etc.

My reasoning would be for variety, I respect Linus' opinion massively but its always good to hear another take on a situation.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Hi, 
Scrolling through random videos on FB and came across a video of a printer made out of Lego and thought, has Linus Tech Tips done this yet?
Have you guys made a case out of just Lego?
Or big boys Lego ‘mechano’? 
maybe a build off between the two

Anyway just a suggestion if you haven’t already done it, love the channel keep up the good work.

Regards 

Chilze

I'm running a 7 days to die gameserver but have a lot of problems with DDOS attacks. I'm trying out VPN providers with ddos protection. We tested allready 2 VPN providers but they suck. What if you make an episode about VPN providers with DDOS protection. We can place the 7 days world and name of it on one of your servers so a ddos attack will be happen for sure as we get attacked everyday.

We tried windscribe and purevpn. Sales person of windscribe said they have anti-DDOS but it hasn't. PureVPN has a really bad helpdesk (only reachable 18:00 to 22:00 Hong Kong time) and still do not know if their anti DDOS works at it is way to slow to run a gameserver on.

Suggestion: Touchscreen 8K Desk/Tabletop

I hope I'm doing this right. I was thinking it would be pretty cool to have a desk that is actually a 8K touchscreen display. I figured something like combining these 3 items with a desk or table:

• Any 55+ inch Display
  • 10 Point Multi-Touch Infrared Touch Frame
  • Tempered Glass or Plexiglass Panel

I'd love for it to be "budget friendly" because obviously if I throw enough money at it, it would be easy to find a solution like this. Like this Dell display but a table

Sounds like a job for ALEX: THE TAX WRITE OFF!

Hey linus   a humble request - Why not build a PC that a Engineering enthusiastic required like running Ansys fluent ( CFD software) and Solidworks ( CAD). Fluent depends upon multi-core as well as number of memory channel ( dual vs quad vs hex vs oct). CFD processing further depends upon ram per core. Intel extreme series (10940x vs 10980x vs ryzen 5900x vs 5950x vs threadripper vs epyc vs xeon).  It will be one hell of a project and definitely a pain for you😁😁.    Hope you can help our scientific oriented audience.  Love from India

On 1/27/2021 at 12:56 PM, Collin_S said:

Make a PC that boots off of a tape drive (or multiple in RAID) 😆. Serious Meme Potential. They have some pretty fast read speeds for things linearly, as long as you don't need to jump around... So tons in raid could be interesting.

Another thing that could be funny: I have no idea if this is possible, but booting off of a smart card would be SUPER cool and funny. Series potential!

sorry to suggest this but they should do a video where they just see which haswell cpu to buy, im sorry i just lovde haswell

On 3/20/2019 at 10:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Secret Shopper International.

Personally I live in Norway, I constantly see people getting cheated by companies selling computers, some have good deals, but I don't think they have great service.

If this is an idea you would like to do, I volunteer to help.

Hi LTTTeam,

I'm seeing some start-ups pop up like Ultra oi, Superfarm and others that combine games, login, payment and social all-in-one. How does this work and is it a real benefit?

Some of these start-ups have already partnerd up with Ubisoft for example.

Hope you see this post, love the content.

I'd love to see you guys do a video on the MiSter FPGA gaming preservation project.  

why are motherboards marked with chipset when actually there is no chipset/northbridge in it? and southbirdge can be chosed by manufacturer

pls explain this topic

Intel i7-3930k (6C/12T@4.5GHz), 8x 8GB DDR3 CL8 1600, AMD R9-390x 8GB

Affordable Qubes OS optimized builds. Qubes is hardware sensitive and not straight-forward in selection of components. I also would enjoy a series of security based videos. Stuff like Pinephone, Librem 5, 'Freedom hardware', old android phones that are flashed with some OS that is more secure and their usability/ regular review.

CosmicShock

I'm wondering if it would somehow work to build a pc case of lego just for fun and would love to see if ltt would do a video on this question.

@SirWhiteRose merged your topic with the proper topic.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Could you please do an update on Floatplane? I find it really interesting. 

Or how about the worlds first RaspberryPi encased in a Raspberry Pie. Cooling could be provided by freezing it. 

I was on Pass Mark looking at Xeons, trying to quickly find the best price to performance E3 for my 1151 board and noticed they have this "Best Value" for cpus, graphics cards and storage. To expand on the the badass "average" steam build, what if you built the "Best Value" pc according to Pass Mark, and tried beating it. It would be a seriously low budget build and all would have probably be 2nd hand. Given the current climate on hardware and availability, I think this is a budget friendly build to help those who dont have the pockets to pay scalper prices on new stuff.