Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Have Linus step back for a week just to see what would happen. 

And I mean, Linus, Yvonne & Luke all don't manage the entirety of the video production at all for a week just to see how the content will look under their own supervision. 

No direct Linus. All what they think Linus would have them do, but the freedom to take artistic liberties. 

Naturally Linus is the best, but curious how video production would change if Linus did retire and didn't just show up to the office anyway. 

Watch the videos from when he last was on vacation since it was just that, nothing new. 

And Luke hasn't done anything for the video production side for years now.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

one of the main problems with sub-ambient cooling is moisture, so why not put the motherboard in.......wait for it....... mineral oil! 
mineral oil's freeze point is what? -22c? 

as a bonus why not cool the cpu with a LTT in house made thermoelectric cooler? with a separate hot side [radeator] and cold side (cpu/gpu blocks) loops?
maybe parts from eBay? or Amazon? 

the reason I'm suggesting this video is because I'm considering doing this myself

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Watch the videos from when he last was on vacation since it was just that, nothing new. 

And Luke hasn't done anything for the video production side for years now.

I was intending for the staff to explicitely be told to be allowed to make changes as they saw fit.

I know luke hasn't done much if anything, but where he wouldn't be allowed to comment on what was being done.

And that was my point, there was some time ago a week of videos where Linus was on vacation and they played the whole "let's do this while Linus isn't here" game. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

Could you PLEASE do a video that has an alternative to Adobe Flash for we poor unfortunate souls who still have to use it for most of our gaming?

Because I'm sure that I am not the only one who still needs Flash, but not software savvy enough to figure out something on our own.

Looking at the ABCs of Gaming board book <whisper>LTT store dot com</whisper> got me thinking...

As many of us are becoming parents, our tech needs evolve. I would be interested in a video reviewing tech for our kids from a very tech savvy parent point of view. Like, what is the best tablet for toddlers, or durable emergency cell phone for Elementary kids.

What about tracking devices for when you go to the fair or a theme-park (I currently subscribe to squeaky shoes with flashing lights, but those only have a functional range of about 5 meters)

• Admittedly, I don't know the barriers to putting employee's kids on screen, but I would love to see a test where James and Colton dressed up as children and assigned to "become lost" while Jake and Alex try to keep track of them, with tech support from Anthony and commentary by Riley and Linus.
    • Actually, having James and Colton act as child testers for everything sounds hilarious. (I can totally see a segment where out the window behind Linus talking about watercooling there is game of frisbee happening using a Kindle Fire HD.)
      • Except motherboards, CPUs, and GPUs. Linus is the ultimate durability test for those things.

22 hours ago, officedemon said:

one of the main problems with sub-ambient cooling is moisture, so why not put the motherboard in.......wait for it....... mineral oil! 
mineral oil's freeze point is what? -22c? 

as a bonus why not cool the cpu with a LTT in house made thermoelectric cooler? with a separate hot side [radeator] and cold side (cpu/gpu blocks) loops?
maybe parts from eBay? or Amazon? 

the reason I'm suggesting this video is because I'm considering doing this myself

There was a Mineral Oil PC series in 2014, with a followup in 2018.

About time for another, but for build insights, the original should series should still be relevant.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/241410-mineral-oil-pc-build-log-part-1/

Modding Bios to control pch (chipset) fan on Asus x570 boards

Let's talk Asus x570 chipset fans. Both MSI and Gigabyte allow manual control of the chipset fan on their boards with various profiles for silent or performance oriented fan curves. Asus doesn't allow you to control the fan on any of their x570 boards, locking them to a standard fan curve decided by them. This was a problem for me because my Asus Tuf RTX 3080 OC completely blocks the chipset fan on my Crosshair VIII Formula when in the first slot (leading to the chipset fan running at 100% while making a lot of noise). Using the second slot resolves this, but that knocks me from PCIe 4.0 x16 to PCIe 4.0 x 8 which I don't want.

I spent time searching the internet for information, and I found posts saying to use either Argus Monitor, SpeedFan, or LibreHardwareMonitor to control the chipset fan. Upon installing each of those programs, I realized none of them could even see the chipset fan. It looked like Asus had blocked that method by hiding the chipset fan from software they do not approve of. I found this thread on overclock.net https://www.overclock.net/threads/possible-to-mod-an-asus-ami-x570-bios-to-unlock-hidden-pch-fan-controls.1750048/ which gave me an idea of what to do next. 

I followed the video linked in the thread to do the bios mod.

I used the software the video creator was using which is AMIBCP 5.02.0031 (can be found in this list https://www.tweaktownforum.com/forum/tech-support-from-vendors/gigabyte/30823-latest-overclocking-programs-system-info-benchmarking-stability-tools), and HxD (which can be found here https://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD20).

Once I followed the steps in the video to create a modded bios file, I renamed it to C8F.CAP just to follow the naming scheme that Asus uses for their bios files. I then tried flashing it with Ai Suite 3 (using the Easy Update section). It read the file, and started flashing, but did not succeed requiring me to clear the cmos to boot again. After that I moved the file to the root of a usb drive, and tried using Asus's motherboard flash button. I held it until the light turned blue 3 times, and released it. The flash started and finished without any errors so I decided it was time to boot up the system and check the bios.

Upon entering the bios, and pressing F6 to go to QFan control, I noticed there was no pch fan configuration there. This happened because it was enabled, but hidden from the main menu. I pressed F9 to pull up the bios search, and typed PCH. I pressed enter, and there it was. All the pch fan options were there to freely configure. Asus actually had silent and performance profiles interestingly enough. I set it to manual and started testing. the fan has 3 stages and the first 2 can be set to 0rpm while the last one could not be set lower than 40% fan speed. I wanted to test leaving the fan off so I set the fan to stay at 0rpm until it hits 95C. I ran furmark for 40 minutes straight to see how hot the chipset would get, and it peaked at 89C (not even hitting the 95C number I set during that test run). This is of course highly dependent on case airflow, and how many slots your gpu takes up (since the chipset is under it). I settled on having the fan stay 0rpm until it hits 85C, then going to 20%, then hitting 70% at 93C. During regular desktop use my chipset stays between 76-77C with the fan not spinning, and the gpu idling with fan stop right above it. I noticed that even when the chipset fan was not spinning Ai Suite 3 would report it running at a rpm between 1000-2000, so it seems like the change I made was not getting reported properly to the OS even though I verified the fan was not moving or producing noise.

In summary I want a video to be made about this so it can be brought up to Asus. Why are they hiding the chipset fan controls from users when all the other manufacturers allow their fans to be adjusted. I achieved better thermals from adjusting the curve myself, because the fan wasn't sucking up hot air from the gpu, and blowing it across the chipset, forcing the fan to run at 100%. I have attached my modified bios file (zipped to stay under the 20MB upload limit) for the x570 formula running the latest beta bios (Version 3102 at the time of this post).

Please look into this for the sake of all the people with noisy Asus x570 boards that don't want to mod the bios in order for their board to run properly. Thank you for your time.

C8F.7z

I just created a new topic about this on this Forum and I am sure most people are still very confused about this even on 2021.

So, I would love to suggest on making a video about Mobile and Laptop Batteries and how to prolong their life span.

Ok i've proposed that in the past but I think it's now officialy time ...

Remember when they played in 16k using 16 4k monitor?

I think they should attempt the same think using 4 8k monitors.

We have the 8k monitors and the GPUs capable of 8k video output now.... Why not :)

I feel like a Hackintosh video that uses updated guides (OpenCore, Big Sur, etc) would be helpful as all current LTT guides use Clover (which is no longer the bootloader of choice), or overcomplicated VMs. The dortiana guide for OpenCore is a great resource that I feel the majority of people can follow. It would be great for LTT to show how easy it is to make a bare metal Hackintosh that behaves exactly like a real mac, even on AMD cpus. Maybe a concept like the "All AMD Hackintosh" or something like that. Another possibility is getting Linus to figure it out instead of grabbing the nearest Anthony. With just a little bit of effort (seriously, the most complicated things like SSDTs, serial generation, etc are all automated now on both windows and macOS), one can build a Hack that will update like a real mac because the entire system is completely standard, and all modification is done at boot before macOS even starts. I feel that this could be great for the hackintosh community, as current "guides" on LTT may drive people away due to their complicated nature. 

Specs - 

- Ryzen 5 3600

- 16 GB Corsair Vengence RGB

- Stock cooler lmao
 - Rx 590

- macOS Big Sur 11.1
 - OpenCore 0.6.4

Since LTT has one sitting around, I would like to see a Samsung Odyssey G9 video focused on whether or not its good for productivity and creativity work.   I know Linus says its one of the best monitors ever, but most reviews are focussed on gaming or watching movies.  There are a few videos by individuals who have used it for productivity to mixed reviews, but I would trust LTT's views since LTT does a lot of video editing and image editing, and I'm sure regular business productivity work as well.  I can't decide if the tight curve would be great for eye strain or if it would be a pain for working as a developer or following straight lines when editing pictures and working with video.

New project: PetabyteX. Remember that 100TB SSD review? Well, here's the accompanying case for it: Chenbro RM43699: 100 (!!) hot-swap 3.5" SATA drives in a 4U chassis so that's a total of 10PB.

(If you paid attention in school you'll remember the X is the Roman equivalent of 10 (decimal) :P )

Cost: well, the drives alone are USD 4m, but at least LMG can handle their archive needs for another year ;)

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

I found the latest LTT video amusing, however I do not think they answered an important question: Does a paper holder make a good faraday cage?!

I would be interested to know if a paper holder would successfully protect sensitive electronics from an EMP. Perhaps you work in a lab environment and you want a convenient way to protect your cell phone while experimenting.

I suggest that Linus or anyone to use uLLeticaL's benchmark map if ever you or anyone would be benchmarking CS:GO, because I don't really think that playing casual for a couple minutes is viable enough for a benchmark. I want to hear your guys thoughts on it.

Link to the benchmark map in steam workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=500334237

A Real Look at CCTV Tech

Hello there.

Long time viewer, British security professional and enthusiast here who seems to have several different forum accounts and cant find the main one.
I have worked in the security industry, namely in the field of remote CCTV monitoring and roster management for nearly a decade now and I must say I do love the occasional video on the subject such as the Short Circuit from Jake published this week. If anything just because it's in my wheelhouse and I have relatively few people to talk tech with in these regards.

Having watched the video I have spotted an opportunity for content not dissimilar to some of your much older videos in which you setup security around the premises.

I understand the content is short form content not dissimilar to Unbox Therapy but I really think the subject has room for expansion among tech enthusiasts, perhaps something that would be worth having on the main channel. You see, the one thing I found myself crying out for while watching Jakes video was... Benchmarks, believe it or not. Visual comparisons between the Ubiquity unit and other available products.
The reason I say as much as that compared to the commercial software I use on a daily basis, and the design and functions of systems I use regularly, the ubiquity unit seemed kind of garbage, or at the very least could do with further expansion on the topic.

Picture this;

Spoiler

"Its 1am and you've stayed up late playing games on your xbox controller' you get an email or notification alert there has been a "line crossing event" on your back yard CCTV system. You open up your CCTV software and check the feed and' cant see anything obvious. You click the event and it shows you not only a live feed but a short recording and/or screenshot of the video feed from the time the event took place. - You think nothing of it and continue gaming.
But again you get another activation on your system, this time its a "motion detected" alarm event. Now you know the smart analytics on your camera automatically disregards activations from animals because it has been trained to recognise their shape.
You alt tab back into your CCTV software and bring up your main camera, a full PTZ unit not unlike the one unboxed in the recent video.
You then see something in the rear of your car park or garden. So - Without putting down your Xbox controller because your software supports DirectInput, you pan the camera around and zoom in to someone who has gotten over your fence with a pair of bolt croppers and is heading for the external shed where you keep the overflow for your Waluigi Amiibo collection."

Now here's the thing about CCTV, Much as Brandon will tell you, cameras are very very different and vary widely in quality. You can have a 4k live feed but with a crap bitrate and/or lens it can still come out garbage. - But with CCTV surveillance there's a huge emphasis on low light and no light performance.
You see most break ins, intrusions that is occur in the night hours. 3am, 4am and this is when your CCTV needs to perform its best.
Visual quality is one thing in the day when the weather is good but how a system performs at night is where you get the difference between someone getting away and your local authorities getting an arrest.
I'd love to see the top available CCTV systems compared against each other, with something commercial like a Hikvision unit in the mix too.
Right away you'll see how depending on the strength of the IR emitters you might not get a good view of whoever is skulking around.

Spoiler

"So, the intruder gets away with your prized possessions, gets over a fence and runs over to a distant parked vehicle. - You grab your mouse and activate the "3d zoom" function, with this your simply draw a rectangle, like you would in Microsoft paint over the distant vehicle.

Immediately the camera pans in under half a second and optically zooms to position itself exactly where you drew the rectangle. You've zoomed into the car that's 200m away, but now you can hardly see it anyway because its way out of the range of the LED IR emitters on your camera.
Well not so fast, you bought one of the fancy models with long distance IR beams, these automatically switch on outside of the range of your standard emitters.
But wait there's more. - Some cameras have low light performance that puts the night mode on many phones to shame. Its 1am and your CCTV system never even had to switch on its IR beams giving you an image quality palpable to daylight monitoring."

Now I paint a strange story there but this scenario involves a level of end user control that is only achievable with some equipment like the systems I use remotely for hundreds of business around the UK. Its not the same story everywhere because there are low quality units, units the require a subscription, and CCTV systems you'd buy off of amazon that are just plain awful. 
Even at the high end there are comparisons to be made. - Facial detection accuracy, record encoder quality, how good they are at dismissing false positives. You can even stress test a unit that is designed to "follow" movement and see how it handles a multi intruder scenario or see how likely it is to start following pigeons in the distance while someone's siphoning fuel diesel out of your minivan/lambo.

At the very least, if the viewership is interested, I see comparison videos and maybe a new "Ultimate Home Security Setup" video or something like that, but this time with an expanded vision on what CCTV can do as opposed to some of the Ubiquity content, they certainly arent the only company creating and innovating in that space. :)

Is anyone else here been tinkering and working with CCTV for almost a decade? I'd like to hear from some of you because I don't know if there are any other people in my bubble at all!

LTT gang feel free to hit me up if you'd any of my opinions or expertise. I've been monitoring remote CCTV systems  most of my working life an a technical and observatory capacity, :) 

Now, back to my 6900XT that arrived yesterday. This baby isn't going to undervolt herself. 😎

-Evelyn

Edited by EvelynXZ

A video on OWL an open access tool for using the apple ecosystem and opendrop which allows airdrop to work with Linux through a command line

I'd love to se a baller "4K" Gaming PC build on this Cheapo 22$ "Mining" MOBO: 

Gigabyte GA-H110-D3A
+ i7-7700k (No OC)
+ 32GB DDR4 (2400Mhz) 
+ RTX 3090
+ M.2 SSD

Going for 4K maximum details (not max fps)

Kind Regards from Denmark

Gigabyte-H110-D3A-Review-1.jpg

3 minutes ago, BrightShadowDK said:

i7-7700k (No OC)

That certainly wouldn't make it a "baller 4K PC".

F@H

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

That certainly wouldn't make it a "baller 4K PC".

the K cpu's are allreddy at a higher clock and very high clocks are not needet when gaming at 60 fps ;-) 

I work for an esports LAN center.

With the Linus LMG Lounge center built in 2019, I'd love to see a video evaluating software for a LAN center. This would include both management software to run the facility as well as diskless boot software.

Here are examples of what's out there:
Management Software -
ggLeap
SmartLaunch
Gizmo Powered
iCafeCloud

Antamedia

Diskless Boot:
ggRock
ccBoot

On 3/20/2019 at 9:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Those (fad) router Guard Large WiFi Router Guard, should be used for a build? high airflow case? 

all things 3D printed.

when ppl have 3D printed fans, audio setup, to coolers.

I wonder if LTT would be able to do a challange in 3D printed watercooling, although the rad has to be a mix of metal and 3D printed with a type of seal like "glue"?

metal or something else to radiate heat for cooling fins, while the chassie has to be 3D printed. GN joins the battle as a team vs team? :P

then by the year they get a full 3D printed PC.