Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

You might want to review and check this out Linus lads. Did you know that the PS3 Cell Processor was put into and PCI-E addon board? They were $8,000 new and this company is blowing them out at $100 bucks... Mercury Computer Systems Cell Accelerator - Computer Parts - BMI Surplus

The Mercury Cell Accelerator Board features a 2.8GHz Cell processor, 1GB of Rambus XDR DRAM, 4GB of DDR2 SDRAM, Gigabit Ethernet, and a PCI Express x16 interface. Rated power draw is a whopping 210W, and the card is 12.283" long, about an inch shorter than NVIDIA's GeForce 7950 GX2 graphics card. Expect the Cell Accelerator Board to become available in early 2007 at a price of $7,999.

I would love to see videos or even a channel dedicated to the tech side of music and recording equipment. It's a market that is pretty daunting to get into as a beginner, and even keeping up with after years of experience. Not only does the recording side of things tie in well with PC building (or mac use) but it gets pretty interesting in it's own right. I feel a large part of your audience could find it helpful and build interest in a new hobby and/or usable skill. 

Often the reviews I find on products in this category are based on marketing talking points and not on actual user experience and use cases, and it'd be a breath of fresh to see someone shake up the market. 

Videos could be something like:

-Recording rigs on a budget

-How to live track your shows

-DAW SHOWDOWN 

-Turning your gaming rig into a professional study

...and on and on.

Not to mention the endless tech that's growing in the industry. Pedals, synths, E-drums, and recording hardware is getting pretty darn cool these days. There's even bluetooth guitars being made that  connect to your phone to make it easier to practice, record, and live stream.

Linus N Pals please, dedicate some time/resources to debunking(or proving) all these ads for thousands of dollars job replacement internet businesses, that conveniently all seem to require upfront payment for a class or something. Probably have like 3 people try it out, like someone's younger and middle aged family member, and one member of the staff who knows the ins and outs of online business stuff.

One's for pick up artist stuff/relationships, probably important too.

125137558_InternetBSCollection.thumb.jpg.9ad277bb78e63da6ef54ebc7a77e4686.jpg

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

On 3/20/2019 at 9:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Dedicated AI wafer chips

https://singularityhub.com/2021/04/25/the-worlds-biggest-ai-chip-now-comes-stock-with-2-6-trillion-transistors/

Dunno if there’s anything here or not, but @Nacht stated he found setting his RGB static produced a significant performance lift for him.  “Rgb can make your machine slower” could be a big thing.  Apparently it has something to do with armory crate or something.  Also how to set it up so it DOESNT. could also be a big thing. Or this could all be pointless stuff most people know about by now.  I don’t know.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Hi there everybody! I'd love to see a Linus Tech Tips video on Xbox 360 RGH/JTAG Modding. They're such unique consoles and I think it would interest and inform alot of people on this amazing topic. Please make this happen 🙂

- Jack

Hey @Jack06WS I have merged your suggestion into the video suggestion thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I’d like to see Brandon host more photography and videography related videos outside product reviews. Perhaps even a series of photography exercises would be cool too. 

LMG has a lot of experience in this regard. I’d definitely want to see more of that in this realm. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Hey@LinusTech

I watched Steve's review about the Intel Xe DG1 GPU. And the way he described it, left me thinking.................

He described it as an APU, but without the CPU part...... Can you guess where I'm going with this? lol

I told Steve that, but while writing, it sounded more and more like an LTT video! :)))

So basically, can you connect an APU on the PCIe slot and use it as a GPU??? It would require a PCB with a CPU socket on it and a weird controller, though. And use the system memory I guess. It would require a lot of aliexpress "research" too... lol  Or custom made, maybe?

Come on, THIS is not the craziest thing you ever did!💓👍

@Lucian Andries I have added your suggestion to the video suggestion thread. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Dear Linus (tech tips), last night, I was restless. I was turning around in bed, the room was on fire! It was an inferno outside. So, as any reasonable person would, I started thinking about heatsinks. Could heatsinks be fashioned into a fancy, chic shirt? Could this modern metallic garment protect the wearer from the blistering, cruel wrath of summer?

Anyway, I'd like to know if one could somehow make a shirt out of heatsinks and test if it would cool a person down. Since body temperature should be above ambient (well usually), I'm thinking it just might work. I'd like to know if it requires skin contact (but please don't apply thermal paste to Linus) or if it would work through a normal shirt. Consider this a "Is Linus Tech Tips doing HUMAN EXPERIMENTS?!" kind of video idea. Thanks for consideration and bye 🙂

https://twitter.com/BriannaWu/status/1407009346475675651

Could you talk about this on the WAN show? 

Hello everyone at LMG.
I am Simon and I work at a Belgian company that makes PET SPECT and CT-scanners for pre-clinical research (so we build scanners for mice and rats).
The detector-chips of our PET-scanner need to stay at a very consistent temperature to have good accuracy of detection. Therefore they are cooled with Peltier coolers and fans.

I thought it might be an interesting video trying to water-cool our Peltier’s of the detectors, in combination with an educational video of molecular imaging in science and pharmaceuticals.

If this sounds interesting, please get in touch with me.

image.png.433c5812b21dd15e7b0f4bde0590cdfb.png

We also have 2 computers in every scanner with GPU's for image reconstruction and acquisition (RTX 2060 and 3060's so maybe a sick upgrade for these servers could aswell be integrated?)

Chinese thermal paste (ZF-12 12W/mk and ZF-EX 14.6W/mk) versus the best paste from Thermal Grizzly and other more available pastes, like Cooler Master Mastergel Maker etc?

I think chinese GD900 has already been deemed "maybe useable"? Yet ZF are high end by specs.

I edit my posts more often than not

I bought the Insta320 Go 2 shortly after your channel reviewed it. It fits my editing style perfectly except I have noticed a thermal problem with the Insta360 Go 2. 

When transferring files it can start to crawl after a little while, even failing to load the thumbnail in the editor. I am not sure if this due to bad App design, WIFI of either device, or the thermals but the camera is noticeably hot, almost too hot to handle.

The temperature seems to be high regardless if you have it in the cradle or not. 

Once while on my trip I had the camera in the cup holder with a cold can and the performance appeared to be better. I tried that trick again at home and once again it appeared to be better. 

I was wondering if making a liquid cooled cradle for the 360 would resolve the performance issues with it or if we are up against a limitation of the device and the WIFI it uses. Possibly having it next to the can helped the WIFI antenna in the Insta360 (doubt it but possible). 

I have used a Moto z4, Samsung Note 9, and Samsung S10e; the performance is the same with all three, did not get to test with an IPhone. 

20210622_122802.jpg

20210622_122248.jpg

Hello all,

I'm new here but have been watching LTT for years now, I made an account specifically for this topic...

I'm here to request if Linus and his team can possibly make a video to raise awareness to an issue many of us gamers have been struggling with for quite a while now regarding Anti-Aliasing.

For some strange reason the Anti-Aliasing does not work anymore in a majority of games for Windows 10. I've done countless testing and it's happening on 3 of my computers as well.

I personally use my PC mainly for flight simulation and racing simulators. The following titles I've used have poor AA which used to actually work properly:

I can tell that this is something strange, I'm not a novice when it comes to PC Building and troubleshooting. My job is in engineering validation for tech companies so I've been putting what I know to work to try and solve this on my own but to no avail and I'm not a graphics engineer. I've basically ran out of options at this point.

X-Plane 11

Prepar3D v5.2

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Rocket League

Kerbal Space Program

DCS World

etc.

Main Desktop - 10900K, GTX 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, 2TB NVME, 144Hz 2K GSync.

Alienware Area 51m R2 - 10900K, RTX 2080S, 32GB DDR4, 2TB NVME, 360Hz GSync 1080p

Sons desktop - 8700K, GTX1060, 16GB DDR4, 500GB NVME, 60Hz 1080p

Subject links please look through these as well:

https://aka.ms/AAd00h2 - Microsoft Feedback Hub (Please Upvote)

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=140489

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=141370

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/443079/windows-10-dwm-screwing-with-anti-aliasing-pleas/

I'm tired of talking about this on countless forums... it's ridiculous that this is happening to a variety of people out of nowhere... some are even buying new PC's and the issue will be fixed for 5 months and then it goes back to looking horrible again.

Can we get Linus to raise awareness on this issue somehow? That'd be amazing.

Thank you all!

I would like a video on buliding a pc with parts available on flipkart.com.  You cant order parts internationaly from flipkart so you'll have find the parts on flipkart and order them from neweggs, amazon etc.

Seems NVIDIA has been working with Microsoft to enable GPU Partitioning in Hyper-V. I've seen LTT do videos with GPU Passthrough.

I think this would be a great topic/video to discuss/showcase!

Some Quick HOW TO Links

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/2-gamers-1-gpu-with-hyper-v-gpu-p-gpu-partitioning-finally-made-possible-with-hyperv/172234

Edited by mspencerl87

A series of videos called "The Fainting Couch" where bad computer building and software practices are featured and why they might not be as awful as commonly claimed. There have been LTT debunking videos before but this would be a semi regular feature and one that is great for suggestions, outrage and engagement. Could be fun.

Video idea. LTT Keyboard Crafting series or livestream. Anthony, Alex, Jonathon from MA all compete to create a fully customized keyboard from scratch. Go full customizable and make different keys feel different for different purposes, custom mill templates instead of buying online. I want to see Jonathon optimize different keys with different mechanical key types and how he prefers it and then how he plans to finish off the custom design. No prebuilt. All custom or kits from scratch. With requirement of using at least 3 different key switches. And then test which of the custom keyboards the rest of the team prefers.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

I think we need a video on Windows 11 TPM requirement.  Someone has to get in front of the misinformation anyway.

People are panic buying discrete TPM chips and reddit is melting down over the TPM requirement. 

Virtual/firmware implementations of TPM have been included on Intel and AMD platforms going back almost 10 years.  You don't need a chip.  You just need to flip a setting in BIOS options.  Intel calls it PPT and AMD calls it fTPM.  This satisfies the requirement for Win11.

you guys should do a review on the msi "nasa" pc 899704752_Screenshot2021-06-254_23_14AM.thumb.png.4f46ec38232e51247e0782ed5054962b.png

21 hours ago, chebsy said:

I think we need a video on Windows 11 TPM requirement.  Someone has to get in front of the misinformation anyway.

People are panic buying discrete TPM chips and reddit is melting down over the TPM requirement. 

Virtual/firmware implementations of TPM have been included on Intel and AMD platforms going back almost 10 years.  You don't need a chip.  You just need to flip a setting in BIOS options.  Intel calls it PPT and AMD calls it fTPM.  This satisfies the requirement for Win11.

An example right here on this forum lol TPM 14-1 Module - Operating Systems - Linus Tech Tips

Someone with a big influence needs to clear up all this misinformation and confusion.  For an entertainment angle, you could see what the oldest/cheapest system is that you can get to pass the windows 11 compatibility checker. 

Ignoring the TPM misinformation, there IS a real problem with Windows 11 that Linus hasn't acknowledged yet.  See Microsoft has removed the soft floor for CPUs & TPM: now requires 8th Gen Intel & AMD Zen+ or newer, and TPM 2.0 (not 1.2) : Windows11 (reddit.com)

On the announcement day, Microsoft's docs page said that there was a hardware compatibility list for CPU - even if you had TPM 2.0 enabled, Secure Boot on, and UEFI setup, you would still be "unsupported" if your CPU wasn't on the list, which was Intel 8xxx / Ryzen 2xxx or above.  An unsupported system only because of that CPU Generation shortcoming and meeting all other requirements would fall under a "soft floor" requirement, and would not be automatically pushed Windows 11, would display a recommendation to not upgrade when you tried to manually, but would allow you to upgrade if you chose to ignore the warning.

Microsoft changed that page today.  Compatibility for Windows 11- Compatibility Cookbook | Microsoft Docs now says that the list of supported processors is a hard requirement.  If your AMD / Intel system isn't running one of the processors on this list (Windows Processor Requirements Windows 11 Supported AMD Processors | Microsoft Docs and Windows Processor Requirements Windows 11 Supported Intel Processors | Microsoft Docs), your device "cannot be upgraded to Windows 11."

(Edit: this has now been confirmed by Steve Dispensa, the VP of PM, Microosft Endpoint Manager, and Windows Commerial at Microsoft, on Twitter.  See this thread: Steve Dispensa on Twitter: "@bdsams @zacbowden @TheMartinScott Yep, these lists (Intel, AMD, and Qualcomm) are the currently supported CPUs. The lists will evolve over time, of course, but these are the supported CPUs. https://t.co/Y26xrKvg8g" / Twitter)

Windows 11, as of right now, is planning to kill support for 4 year old, 8 core, ~4ghz processors, while maintaining support for 1ghz Atom processors with the same feature set.  In the absence of a technical justification for the cutoff points from Microsoft, that smells a lot like planned obsolescence in the name of selling more OEM licenses, at the cost of creating a bunch of e-waste.  (Not to mention how in 2025 this will put the rest of the Internet at risk when grandparents' and less tech savvy people decide to just stay on 10 after EOL because it's good enough and they can't move forward, leaving their easily attacked, unpatched systems spreading attacks; that's the core reason that Microsoft claimed they forced 7 / 8 / 8.1 -> 10, and they haven't given a good reason they'd about-face on the stance that otherwise capable PCs should continue to be supported to protect against that.)

This is something that someone with the viewership and industry connections of someone like Linus or Steve could get in front of, clarify, and, if it's indeed as written, have an obligation to bring to large audience attention, before it sets a precedent that Windows PCs have 4-5 year lifespans.  We as enthusiasts may upgrade more often, but who gets your old PCs?  If you're like me, it's family and friends, or you resell the parts to someone else that is going to run those parts.  This could be Microsoft effectively putting a stop to that unless you're going to maintain Linux for them. 

(Related video series: Anthony discussing migrating to Linux from Windows for those shafted by this, with FOSS alternatives to the most common / popular Windows apps, and general system management for people moving over.  Maybe a video with tips on making a self-updating, locked down, "elderly-parents-proof hand-me-down PC" Linux setup, since those of us that primarily live in the Windows world, and hand down locked down Windows PCs to our parents may not be able to do that in the future if PCs start having a 3.5-5 year Windows support lifespan, and will need to start looking toward Linux to hand down PCs in this new world.)

I can say that, for myself, if this ends up being true and my 1700x @ 3.9 Ghz, 64 GB RAM, 1TB NVMe 3.0, 1080TI, UEFI / TPM 2.0 / Secure Boot capable PC is unable to upgrade to 11 without a really good technical reason from Microsoft, it'll be the final straw that pushes me over to gaming on consoles entirely and moving my workstation to a Mac Mini.  The allure of iMessage on my desktop has already been tempting me, but I hated the fact that Macs are at the whim of Apple's choice as to when to make them obsolete.  If Microsoft is moving down that path, with even shorter obsolescence than Apple?  I'll take my chances on the other side of the fence.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Could you do a budget desk PC build please