Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

ZFS DRAID

If Linus / crew want to do a video on testing the new ZFS DRAID, please feel free to contact me - I have a nice little virtualbox setup and wrote some scripts that helps with testing up to (90) drives and would be glad to help out.

Screenshot is monitoring all 90 drives I/O every 5 seconds + network bandwidth :)

Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 2.15.36 AM.png

Hopefully I am posting this question in the right place.

VIDEO IDEA: Validate, Debunk, or Redefine/Clarify the 'Age Old Recommendation' that 27" is too big for 1080p monitors. Or 24" vs 27" monitors at 1080p. Maybe throw in some of the new 24.5" monitors at the end to mix things up (what I like to think of as the new sweet-spot for screen size). 

I imagine it would be a lot of empirical testing and similar to the "How Far Should You Sit From Your TV" video. I think it's time for a monitor edition of that video. See if there are any noticeable trends in employee's preferences for screen size when doing gaming, office work, and video watching. This is an important variable to isolate (what the monitor is being used for).  

Take notes on when they say they are comfortable see how far away their head is from the monitor. This will probably have some implications as well. 

Other variables to keep constant (or try to) are bezels, panel type, brightness, refresh rate, etc. Possibly even desk depth (or vary it but don't tell them). having more room to position a monitor could change things. 

Yes, the conclusion will probably be "we recommended X, BUT if you have the opportunity try BOTH, see which one you like better". However, the point is to have THE recommendation backed up by facts (generalized trends), and that's what this video could do. Find those trends or 'facts'. 

Hi peoples

I’d be quite keen to see a review of the charachorder (& charachorder lite)

Seems like they’re aiming to be a new revolutionary kind of keyboard tech & really tempted to get one for work & home.

it claims to speed up typing but also concerned how it’d be as a daily driver; if it would be useful say navigating in excel, as a gaming controller, and if it’d be comfortable for 8Hrs+ use etc

hope to see a review of them one day!

thanks for all the hard work!

Sous-vide cooker PC! Cooks food using the water cooling loop

Asus had a laptop with liquid cooling a few years ago, you can try to fit the cooler onto a new 3080 laptop and see what difference it makes for temps

AsusCapture.JPG

I haven't seen alot of people do a dual AIO build with an AIO CPU cooler and this Asus AIO GPU cooler in the same build.

Curious to see how both would be mounted in the same case and what temps would look like compared to a full custom water loop setup.

ASUS Radeon RX 6800 XT STRIX OC Liquid Cooled Review - Incredible OC  Potential | TechPowerUp

$91,000 in a month! Free Money! Passive Income! Review when Linus?

2 in a day lol1044970604_PassiveIncome1.thumb.png.f7a32fc93d4f7130d10b7baa16e8a8c8.png198177597_InternetBS8.thumb.png.5163dd91706010d38afd3c4c196f15a0.png

1560922314_InternetBS9.thumb.png.ba18d4b1eb80875ed06dcb75cf697240.png

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

On 3/21/2019 at 2:46 AM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

SpinQ Gemini claims to be a full Desktop size Quantum Computer but I could not find any credible sources (LTT 🌚).

https://youtu.be/CtrVaGCT1vA
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/348757184_SpinQ_Gemini_a_desktop_quantum_computer_for_education_and_research
https://spinq.com.cn/#!/up

SpinQ Gemini: the first home quantum computer. $ 5000.: QuantumComputing

So after this yet-another-mobile phone company got funded things are going great! 

Check Last update

The new thing that no-one-has-ever-done-before (I think at least) is that its built on an FPGA and uses RISC-V

As the OS is coming up along with more features like the keyboard I think its up for a more public reach and by that I mean I hope LTT makes a video on this sometime as they are missing out on this "Precursor" action. 

What you think ? 

Just seen that Newegg now offers to build a custom pc from the parts you order. I would like to see your guy's thoughts/review

Hi LMG, would you mind looking into crashes relating the Intel Iris Xe Max dGPU as a video idea? I have the Dell Inspiron 7506 Black Edition with the Xe Max which causes BSOD errors that are common. 

Reddit Post 7506 BSOD 1

Reddit Post 7506 BSOD 2

Reddit Post 7506 BSOD 3

Reddit Post 7506 BSOD 4

Dell Community 7506 BSOD 1

Dell Community 7506 BSOD 2

Dell Community 7506 BSOD 3

Intel Community 7506 BSOD 1

Intel Community 7506 BSOD 2

Also tons of reviews on Best Buy for the system:

Dell Inspiron 7000 2-in-1 15.6" UHD Touch Laptop 11th Gen Intel Core i7 Xe MAX 16GB RAM 1TB SSD+32GB Optane Black i7506-7965BLK-PUS - Best Buy

Dell Inspiron 15 2-in-1 Laptop | Dell USA - look at the 1 star reviews.

Thanks!

Linus might want to consider doing a video on HomeSeer HS4.

It is home automation software with plugins, apis, etc.

Extremely versatile.

He could probably used it to automate his home projects like controlling his in-floor heating and forced air cooling  system.

Worth a look.

What about videos reviewing some of the products you’ve regretted buying personally over the years.

I bought on impulse the Mpress3 MP3 player when it first came out one of the first commercial portable MP3 players. It was awful, held up to about 5 songs on it’s internal memory. Within about a very short time of owning it solutions like the Creative Zen series started to emerge.

I had a similar experience with the Motorola VerveOnes Plus.

Basically Tech that you’ve bought over the years that was ahead of the curve when launched but just not ready as a working or decent enough product and you regretted the purchase.

Hello, you've made some videos & tech news about how M1 macs SSDs were writing too much data. Here is another major issue related to Apple's M1 ARM CPU bad quality hardware

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252210055

Lots of people having this issue, however it's not hyped on twitter or any news. It is the famous Windows95 blue screen, the worst and most lame

Kernel panic happens twice per weak at least

I took mine into the apple store to be looked at. There was a hardware fault. Apple have replaced my Mac.

Our M1 Air had macOS Panics with spontaneous restarts every few hours.

Apple store changed my computer, but I just got the same error. So disappointing... I don't know what to do.

Same here, same apple m1 dart-disp0 exception kernel panic, almost every day

Using floor heating system as a water cooling radiator 

Hey Linus Tech Team

I might have an interesting idea.

I have neighter the propper knowledge nor the resources/connections to test this out so I thought you are the right guys to ask. So with 4K gaming approaching and the high gpu prices I thought that it might be interesting to create a v-ram bar that you can put in your regular ram slot and dedicate to your gpu to archive a higher v-ram over all.I think this could actually work and give your old gpus a nice performance boost . What do you think?

53 minutes ago, NameleZz said:

I thought that it might be interesting to create a v-ram bar that you can put in your regular ram slot and dedicate to your gpu to archive a higher v-ram over all.I think this could actually work and give your old gpus a nice performance boost . What do you think?

That's not how it works, VRAM can be fast because it's very close and directly connected to the GPU.

If you put it in a system RAM slot and it has to go through the PCIe bus and CPU you're getting... what we already have now, the ability for the GPU to use "slow" system RAM in addition to its VRAM if needed.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

18 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

That's not how it works, VRAM can fast becasue it's very close and directly connected to the GPU.

If you put it in a system RAM slot and it has to go through the PCIe bus and CPU you're getting... what we already have now, the ability for the GPU to use "slow" system RAM in addition to its VRAM if needed.

Ah ok dammit I thought I was on to something...

yeah I already knew that gpu‘s have the ability to use you’re ram that’s why I thought you could ‘‘cheat“ yourself more vram/performance even if it has to go through your pcie bus and your gpu... sorry..

I was recently looking at PC cases and stumbled across this hilarious, tube shaped PC case. The reviews are as I expected, difficult/impossible to build in and not laid out well. I've never seen anyone review this and for you guys to attempt to build a high end system in it would be hilarious (in my humble opinion)

https://www.newegg.com/gamekm-bomb-micro-atx-mini-itx/p/2AM-01H0-00038

Basic idea - How good would it be to get a mirror-smooth and flat both cpu and cooler surfaces?

Rational: The whole thermal paste idea is to fill the gaps between the cpu and the cooler plate. What if we get the gaps to be way smaller?

For this we need both surfaces to be

A. Smooth to a mirror degree.

B. Totally flat from end to end.

Basically, think HDD platter surface. That's the spirit.

A good test will compare regular cooling with a good thermal paste VS. bareback mirrored VS. mirorred + thermal paste.

The hard part is to get the surfaces both mirror-smooth and totally flat. Grinding mirrors is not complicated, though it's lengthy. But to configure it flat - no idea. I know how to measure a telescope mirror configuration, when you make your own telescope mirror - but that's not gonna work here, so some research how mirror makers do that is called for.

Cheers and thanks for all the great and funny content you guys create for us!

A fun video concept. 

Cool the cpu by submerging the whole motherboard under mineral oil. Mineral oil doesn't sort electric components so is it possible?