Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter
49 minutes ago, cracknyan said:

Make a mainstream video about the use of slave labor in the tech Industry.

Here is a video about how apple is the most prominent Western corporation in China and how it uses slave and child labor

Not much to that, unless they did something worse than what one would "expect", to different work ethics that may be good or bad used in for example china or for other materials or products. Else one could do a video on green alternatives which might have becomed lesser of with more higher powered tech. As in easier to recycle or be reused, with maybe a more special and humane product through higher standards through work, with a much higher cost.

On 3/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Why not do more VERY deep dives in to technology? Some of the most interesting videos I've seen from LMG were the ones where Anthony really got in to the weeds on some subject or another. I'd also like to see more coverage of HPC, like this.

can the LTT Team do a review video of this case? It seems to be awesome case from 2003

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

14 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

Not much to that, unless they did something worse than what one would "expect", to different work ethics that may be good or bad used in for example china or for other materials or products. Else one could do a video on green alternatives which might have becomed lesser of with more higher powered tech. As in easier to recycle or be reused, with maybe a more special and humane product through higher standards through work, with a much higher cost.

Hmm, you are right, maybe if the whole thing was about the dark side of technology (like pollution, slave labor, how much energy we waste, etc), what we should do and what should the industry do? 

16 minutes ago, cracknyan said:

Hmm, you are right, maybe if the whole thing was about the dark side of technology (like pollution, slave labor etc), what we should do and what should the industry do? 

slavery is one thing, sorta. Poverty is a global thing and would need global push to end regions that are corrupt and in poverty to war, also lowering the global population growth. there will always be pollution, but can be reduced a lot more than what is done currently or how things are made to be consumed, trashed and not kept for years more then it should.

10 hours ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

can the LTT Team do a review video of this case? It seems to be awesome case from 2003

I would love to see that, actually. I was watching that video last night and thinking of how I could get my hands on one of those Lian Li aluminum cases, let alone the aquarium one.

16 hours ago, cracknyan said:

Make a mainstream video about the use of slave labor in the tech Industry.

Here is a video about how apple the most prominent Western corporation in China knowingly use slave and child labor

Apple - The Largest Modern Day Slave Owner

I think even acknowledging mineral mining practices in places like the Congo, child labour, human rights atrocities (abuses is too mild a word), and environmental devastation in the service of manufacturing and distributing the raw materials for 'toys' is a non-starter for the people at LMG. How would a consumer tech PR company like LMG  even approach the subject in a way that doesn't offend its audience, its sponsors, and even its own staff?

Following the path of copper and coltan from a hole in the earth to a circuit board in some handheld game would challenge even the best PR corporation.

What would the thumbnail even look like?

With low-profile mechanical keyboards becoming more popular (as seen with Alienware's m15 and m17 R4 laptops, the Keychron K3, the Logitech G915 Lightspeed TKL, and the Havit HV-KB390L, my current keyboard) I think it would be great for LTT to talk about them. Topics could include different switch and keyboard options, who low-profile mechanical keyboards are for, and how they feel. A blind typing test with the team would be pretty cool as well.

On 3/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Hello LMG,

A game came to my attention some time ago with amazing physics, graphics, and a fantastic modding community, The game is called Teardown and has a massive engine with voxelized worlds and mods. I would love to see this game covered by your team on Tech Longer! 

Best Regards,

GGProGaming

Hello LMG Team,

Unfortunately, it’s been a while since the last Linux related video on the LTT channel. I would suggest a video about open-source monitoring solutions. Most of the time monitoring gets slightly ignored until something goes bang.

I’m a developer of openITCOCKPIT and could assist with my knowledge of the Nagios open source community.

Greetings from Germany

I would love to have a follow up to

its quite outdated and the custom KB community has really taken off since then. If you guys did a build with better switches for example Holy pandas, Boba U4t, or any of the new way better switches that have come out since back then. It would als be cool to do a collab with one of the custom KB youtubers that have taken off recently maybe Glarses (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFtOX-21N1earf-K58C7HjQ). i know that he wold not be able to come right now because of covid restrictions but maybe this could go in the back log of video ideas. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qm9Mwc

Main Project:

A desk that has a hatch that opens in the middle of it and then goes down flush with the desk. 

Other projects I am working on 

• Sleeper TI-99 4A
  • Second Keyboard

Remember Pimp My Ride? Well how about Pimp My PC!

A series where LTT takes some poor unfortunate souls PC and goes Pimp My Ride on it, and I don't mean just ROG Rig Reboot upgrading it/building a new one. Whole custom fabrication to upgrade the case (or the replacement of the case) to look like something utterly show stopping, just like they would with cars off Pimp My Ride. Of course with some component upgrades as well.

This is a series that would primarily be handled by alex and the likes of those working in the shop, and not so much those who just build and benchmark. The whole focus (well main focus) would be around the looks of the PC, with the added benefit of the upgrade to the function of the PC.

On 3/20/2019 at 4:16 PM, CPotter said:

Linus Tech Tips

imagine a pc for major developers that ran off the same OS but had different CPU brands. (primary pc would be some modern 5ghz intel CPU and the secondary system would have a lower end AMD cpu like a 3.4ghz FX) reason for this would be so a developer could create their game/content and then test/view it on another system simply by switching a button on a case or something DIY based so that you can get as accurate of a broad evaluation for whatever you are making. the reason for the video would be so that someone could also make this with a budget kept in mind if they wanted to do various things with the pc. so no its not a "best all around pc" again, because this pc will have both boards running off the same SSD for OS readings to keep optimizations, as well as having a 3rd GPU inside it running on a PCIE riser as a dedicated DX12 driver for both systems. doing this allows for a pc that could crush streaming in 4K, it could make the muti use experience a new reality for those who really like to do a lot with their PC's. and as someone who looks for ultimate performance due to the high need for CPU power in music making, im looking to see how far we can take opening up desktop CPUs capacity with clock speeds in simple forms like this. i know other things like PSU limitations and cable functionality not being super advanced how this could be a bust, but hey. to put it simple, i wanna make my wife a pc one day that lets her make a game with intel power and test her games on AMD, and if it works id build one for me so i can make music and casually game on my intel board and do streaming/youtube content with an AMD pc both in 1 case running off an intricate GPU setup to minimize data usage and to keep stable temps and performance for long lasting use.  plus for the average person at home, this makes an easy all in one computer for the family- need a pc that can be a powerhouse for you and a little wimpy super restricted game/video player for your gremlins and wife who may not be cheating? get this dual brand pc swap system and change how a pc works for you. it would make office convenience easy as well because 2 systems in 1 could make it more cost effective for businesses. i love LTT, i hope one day i can give you a idea good enough for the channel, for now- back to the drawing boards!  (its just a big pc with 2 boards in it and a physical switch to bring them over from one another, kinda like that super console you guys made but for pc enthusiasts. id be a great bottleneck tester as well so if you guys were able to somehow make that work i could really see it doing something big for tech companies.)

10 minutes ago, Xaldin said:

imagine a pc for major developers that ran off the same OS but had different CPU brands. (primary pc would be some modern 5ghz intel CPU and the secondary system would have a lower end AMD cpu like a 3.4ghz FX) reason for this would be so a developer could create their game/content and then test/view it on another system simply by switching a button on a case or something DIY based so that you can get as accurate of a broad evaluation for whatever you are making. the reason for the video would be so that someone could also make this with a budget kept in mind if they wanted to do various things with the pc. so no its not a "best all around pc" again, because this pc will have both boards running off the same SSD for OS readings to keep optimizations, as well as having a 3rd GPU inside it running on a PCIE riser as a dedicated DX12 driver for both systems. doing this allows for a pc that could crush streaming in 4K, it could make the muti use experience a new reality for those who really like to do a lot with their PC's. and as someone who looks for ultimate performance due to the high need for CPU power in music making, im looking to see how far we can take opening up desktop CPUs capacity with clock speeds in simple forms like this. i know other things like PSU limitations and cable functionality not being super advanced how this could be a bust, but hey. to put it simple, i wanna make my wife a pc one day that lets her make a game with intel power and test her games on AMD, and if it works id build one for me so i can make music and casually game on my intel board and do streaming/youtube content with an AMD pc both in 1 case running off an intricate GPU setup to minimize data usage and to keep stable temps and performance for long lasting use.  plus for the average person at home, this makes an easy all in one computer for the family- need a pc that can be a powerhouse for you and a little wimpy super restricted game/video player for your gremlins and wife who may not be cheating? get this dual brand pc swap system and change how a pc works for you. it would make office convenience easy as well because 2 systems in 1 could make it more cost effective for businesses. i love LTT, i hope one day i can give you a idea good enough for the channel, for now- back to the drawing boards!  (its just a big pc with 2 boards in it and a physical switch to bring them over from one another, kinda like that super console you guys made but for pc enthusiasts. id be a great bottleneck tester as well so if you guys were able to somehow make that work i could really see it doing something big for tech companies.)

also to anyone confused about the 3rd gpu idea, most likely the case would have some type of control board to have cables that connect to both motherboards, that small case controller could also be a custom board for the GPU and unified OS storage drive to be connected with. it wouldnt run off a PCIE riser in that case, i think it would be more like a custom EGPU put inside the case obviously. also that allows the cases GPU to be a vantilation for the case, and this could also make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for companies and save people $$$$$ and solve the issues that companies like nvidia are facing currently with the newfound requirement for any computer to have a GPU thanks to all the new things im gonna get to hear you guys repeat from what they JUST said a bit ago. (and i cant wait, im so hyped for 2022 and 2023!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) 

Hi, guys for no reason Nvidia increased the prices of GPU's on already absurd prices for no reason. Now a 3070Ti starts at ₹61,000 (MSRP) where 3080 starts at ₹62,000 (MSRP)

And 3080Ti cost ₹122,000 where 3090 has MSRP of ₹133,000.

Guys Please raise this issue, and if possible somebody tell Linus so he can put that in his video. Please!!!

Pretty sure we all know GPU pricing sucks.

You really think someone can actually convince an entire corporation to change prices because you think they're too high or something? You also gave no basis for what the "original" MSRP was so for all we know you're upset because of scalper prices or AIB pricing and nothing within Nvidia's control caused them to increase.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Sanvator said:

guys for no reason Nvidia increased the prices of GPU's

There's reasoning behind it. They can make more money than they currently are. Also, what models specifically are you looking at? If they're FE, then it's Nvidia and import taxes to India. If it's Asus, Zotac, other AIBs, then it's them and import taxes to India.

If you have something that you could sell for $1, but people will pay $4 to buy just as fast, what would you do?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

You really think someone can actually convince an entire corporation to change prices because you think they're too high or something? You also gave no basis for what the "original" MSRP was so for all we know you're upset because of scalper prices or AIB pricing and nothing within Nvidia's control caused them to increase.

Its on their website

7 minutes ago, Sanvator said:

*snip*
somebody tell Linus so he can put that in his video. Please!!!

Sound like a video suggestion, so your thread was merged with the video suggestion thread. Please be mindful where you post.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 minutes ago, Sanvator said:

Its on their website

Then that's down to import taxes... In USA 3090 MSRP is $1500. 3080 TI is $1200.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

@wkdpaul AMD's new FSR tech supposedly works on ye olde GCN architechture.....so in theory it should work on AMD APU's right? Imaging if you could use FSR to make the unplayable er...playable?

Would love to see just how far you could stretch the integrated graphics!

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Linus Tech Tips

Ps4 modded controllers & ps3 15th anniversary revisit