MSI to Hike Graphics Card Pricing, Expects GPU Supply to Remain Tight Throughout 2021

agatong55

Summary

MSI is planning to raise prices of its graphics cards, according to a DigiTimes report, according to company chair Joseph Hsu, speaking at an investors conference on Tuesday. He stated that the company expects demand for motherboards, gaming notebooks, and graphics cards, to remain robust throughout 2021, with shipment increases to be had in the range of 30-50%. The DigiTimes report points to the likelihood of new GPU launches by NVIDIA in Q2-2021, and Intel 500-series chipset motherboards to positively impact MSI's shipments. Besides overwhelming demand, import duties and rising logistics costs are blamed for rising hardware prices.

My thoughts

Well who didnt see this coming? So with prices already high due to everything now they will increase even more, so much for trying to get a GPU this year or maybe even next year

Sources

https://www.techpowerup.com/280120/msi-to-hike-graphics-card-pricing-expects-gpu-supply-to-remain-tight-throughout-2021

In other news, I expect the sky to remain blue throughout this entire year.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

In other news frogs falling from the sky, some say the gods was playing at the lake.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

who would win?

crypto hodler | GPU hodler

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I can see MSI logic is raising prices. The retailers and scalpers are making a lot out of the shortage, I can see manufactures wanting their cut of the action.

But yeah, next year until things start getting back to normal. I guess we're all resigned to that by now.

12 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

In other news, I expect the sky to remain blue throughout this entire year.

5 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

In other news frogs falling from the sky, some say the gods was playing at the lake.

Why are you making fun of the sky? Stay on topic!

MSI already charges like $1K for a 3080 Ventus. How much worse can it get? Even the FTW3 and Strix aren't that expensive.

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

4 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Why are you making fun of the sky? Stay on topic!

Why so serious?

MSI is just want a piece of the scalpers money, it's to be expected, no news there.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I'm sorry unless your using a GPU for your job at this point don't buy a high end GPU. You should just buy a console. At least in my opinion paying over a thousand dollars or thousands of dollars for one part of a computer that used to cost less than half is absurd. Being able to play on a PC compared to a console is in no way worth the cost if your only gaming. That's coming from someone who has been building gaming computers for a decade. 

At this point being a console gamer doesn't sound so bad, after all PS5 and Series X aren't really part of the unobtainium category anymore, since you can grab them at near MSRP from ebay.

This is the RTX 3060 notification I just received 5 minutes ago. I was disheartened at the price at first but I am actually happy about it. We have to get rid of the scalpers and the only way to do this is for retailers to raise prices. When retailers make money they use the money to pay their employees and their rent but scalpers are just random worthless people with miserable lives so they are desperate to make money off scalping. I hope retailers keep raising the prices until it no longer becomes profitable for scalpers. It is not fair that people pay scalpers £1k on eBay but retailers only get £400. This is also good for miners. If miners want to take all our cards, let them, after they pay the price in this screenshot, I don't mind.

I hope more retailers follow suit. Raise the prices until supply catches up.

oc.png

11 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

This is the RTX 3060 notification I just received 5 minutes ago.

I just went to the site and confirm the price is still as shown. I really can't think they expect to sell at that price, but you never know. More likely I think it is a placeholder price they haven't corrected yet. I don't think it applies here but I believe it is a strategy on ebay/amazon to jack up pricing to silly levels if you run out of stock for example, as those platforms don't penalise you for doing that, but they would if you de-list a product. OCUK are their own store so that shouldn't apply.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, SlidewaysZ said:

I'm sorry unless your using a GPU for your job at this point don't buy a high end GPU. You should just buy a console. At least in my opinion paying over a thousand dollars or thousands of dollars for one part of a computer that used to cost less than half is absurd. Being able to play on a PC compared to a console is in no way worth the cost if your only gaming. That's coming from someone who has been building gaming computers for a decade. 

But the same thing is happening with Consoles as GPU and other parts so you really cant say if you want to game just buy a console when their is no stock of those ether

They should just raise their 3060 Ti price to $1200 and 3080 price to $2000 since that's what people pay for them on ebay.

10 minutes ago, agatong55 said:

But the same thing is happening with Consoles as GPU and other parts so you really cant say if you want to game just buy a console when their is no stock of those ether

There is plenty of stock of consoles, you just have to follow trackers that tell you when something drops and use shortcuts like direct add to cart links or use the store's app.

1 hour ago, agatong55 said:

Compared to GPU stock consoles are practically in stock all the time. I bought an Xbox series X on my 2nd attempt at a drop without a bot. I've been trying for months to get a GPU and nothing. On top of that the console prices are not going up.

29 minutes ago, SlidewaysZ said:

Compared to GPU stock consoles are practically in stock all the time. I bought an Xbox series X on my 2nd attempt at a drop without a bot. I've been trying for months to get a GPU and nothing. On top of that the console prices are not going up.

Nice. Where'd you get your Series X from? Getting a PS5 was definitely a pain in the ass, but I didn't know to use the direct add to cart links or the store apps to order. Actually first time I tried (after getting an in-stock notification) I got a PS4 Digital Edition in my cart at Best Buy and got far enough through the checkout that they were holding it, but I hadn't bought anything from BestBuy.com in like six months so they wanted 2FA and the codes they sent me kept timing out so I lost it after 20 minutes of fucking around with their 2FA emails. God I was pissed. Got one in my cart three more times that day at Best Buy but never could check out fast enough to actually place the order. In retrospect I'm glad those orders couldn't get completed because I wanted the disc edition more anyways.

Never could get the add to cart button to show up at Walmart.com, Amazon, or Target in their drops for the next 3-4 weeks. Then I heard you could use direct add to cart links to make getting a PS5 doable from Walmart.com and on the fourth wave of their next drop after those 3-4 weeks I finally got one ordered. Supposedly the app is great for ordering from Walmart.com too, as is the Target app for ordering from them.

Nice thing about the current gen consoles being in super heavy demand with only normal early gen supply is PS4 still held a lot of value, and I sold my 4 1/2 year old PS4 Slim for $220, which is exactly what I paid for it brand new in 2016 (with Uncharted 4).

I'm just surprised they took this long.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

15 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Nice. Where'd you get your Series X from? Getting a PS5 was definitely a pain in the ass, but I didn't know to use the direct add to cart links or the store apps to order. Actually first time I tried (after getting an in-stock notification) I got a PS4 Digital Edition in my cart at Best Buy and got far enough through the checkout that they were holding it, but I hadn't bought anything from BestBuy.com in like six months so they wanted 2FA and the codes they sent me kept timing out so I lost it after 20 minutes of fucking around with their 2FA emails. God I was pissed. Got one in my cart three more times that day at Best Buy but never could check out fast enough to actually place the order. In retrospect I'm glad those orders couldn't get completed because I wanted the disc edition more anyways.

Never could get the add to cart button to show up at Walmart.com, Amazon, or Target in their drops for the next 3-4 weeks. Then I heard you could use direct add to cart links to make getting a PS5 doable from Walmart.com and on the fourth wave of their next drop after those 3-4 weeks I finally got one ordered. Supposedly the app is great for ordering from Walmart.com too, as is the Target app for ordering from them.

Nice thing about the current gen consoles being in super heavy demand with only normal early gen supply is PS4 still held a lot of value, and I sold my 4 1/2 year old PS4 Slim for $220, which is exactly what I paid for it brand new in 2016 (with Uncharted 4).

I bought mine from Bestbuy they seem to have the best system to buy stuff through.

1 hour ago, SlidewaysZ said:

In the beginning they were being scaled for 3x the MSRP so it's nice to see real stock.  Even the scalpers have dropped their prices on the consoles.  In a couple of years we should be able to get a used 30 series for a reasonable price, just in time for cp2077 to have most of the bugs fixed. 

7 hours ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

This is the RTX 3060 notification I just received 5 minutes ago. I was disheartened at the price at first but I am actually happy about it. We have to get rid of the scalpers and the only way to do this is for retailers to raise prices. When retailers make money they use the money to pay their employees and their rent but scalpers are just random worthless people with miserable lives so they are desperate to make money off scalping. I hope retailers keep raising the prices until it no longer becomes profitable for scalpers. It is not fair that people pay scalpers £1k on eBay but retailers only get £400. This is also good for miners. If miners want to take all our cards, let them, after they pay the price in this screenshot, I don't mind.

I hope more retailers follow suit. Raise the prices until supply catches up.

oc.png

Maybe it’s a ploy to lure bots to automatically purchase it.

I did float the idea at some point for Nvidia to just sell the cards at prices that would be unprofitable to mine on and then offer a MIR if you voluntarily ran a telemetry app to track what you are doing with it for a month (GeForce experience), limit 1 per physical address.

Honestly at this point we all may as well wait for the next product.

4 hours ago, Tedny said:

oh, so, get console if your gpu dead, not because new one shinier

Fixed. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…