Who will be on camera most when Linus retires?

Niswendel
4 minutes ago, Niswendel said:

I was wondering what people thought about this so I decided to make a poll

https://linkto.run/p/QR6XDQYC

Do it if you want, it take like 5 seconds

I’ll update this if enough people respond 

Linustechtips forum supports native polls I think just an fyi

Also, realistically there would no longer be one main guy after linus leaves, but people who specialize in different fields/video types.

Voted Riley, AFAIK he has the most experience on-camera (especially solo) out of everyone on that list. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, curiousmind34 said:

Also, realistically there would no longer be one main guy after linus leaves, but people who specialize in different fields/video types.

I looked for native polls but couldn’t find it

I added 

3 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

I added a combination option, thanks

5 minutes ago, Niswendel said:

I looked for native polls but couldn’t find it

If you hit the edit button on your topic, up at the top above the title box there should be a bar with two tabs. One that says "content" and one that says "polls". If you click over to the polls tab it will let you add one natively from there.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

LTT: James

TechLinked: Riley

TechQuickie: I have not watched in a while, so I don't have an opinion.

The reason I say this is because I think James posseses the best all-round knowledge, hosting skills and general on-camera presence to take over what Linus does now.

I feel like he could be the glue the team needs in certain scenarios.

For example, I think Alex, Anthony and Colin would be great full-time hosts for LTT too, but I think in some way they are a bit too technical at times, considering LTT wants to focus on a broader audience. 

They are great writers, but I think James possess the focus to be the full time hosts, should Linus retire.

As for TechLinked, Riley just makes the most sense with his experience with NetLinked (Daily) which makes him the obvious choice as the writer and main host.

Of course, other LMG staff would still host too, but I could see him being the main host of the channel.

Tech quickie I have not watched in a long time, so I couldn't pin-point a singular person.

I think TQ has been working on a restructuring of their brand image, so anything we judge based on the past may be inaccurate in a year or so time.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

If you hit the edit button on your topic, up at the top above the title box there should be a bar with two tabs. One that says "content" and one that says "polls". If you click over to the polls tab it will let you add one natively from there.

Thanks, I’m not gonna add it now cause it’s a bit late but good for future reference 

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Alex

The added engineering would be cool

5 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Madison, the next/future CEO.

obviously

To be fair, Madison holds her own against Linus, so if she can hold her own against the rest of the LTT people, she probably is the most appealing to younger audiences.

That said, the poll does no favors, there are 32 people on the LMG front page and there are only 4 women, none of them in front of the camera (and Madison isn't on it.)

The lack of women in front of the camera needs to change if they want wider appeal, but it shouldn't come at the expense of LMG's existing content. So handing anything off to Madison at this point is basically better that the status quo of "occasionally punk'ing Yvonne"

But I don't know what exactly I'd want to see. If say, Linus left LMG, or was hit by a bus, I'd probably just fill that time with some other content that I already watch rather than settle for a substitute Linus, even if they were already LMG staff. For video content, you need to both have the charisma to be in front of the camera, and stoneskin needed to deal with crappy people who will find any reason to hate you, and replacing the host with someone else is bound to unleash that kind of thing on whoever replaces Linus. It always happens.

POV: The channel name changed to James Tech Tips, or Riley Tech Tips.

→  Kindly quote or mention me if you would like a reply back.

<famous quote>

Linus but as a life form that lives in the cloud

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

I like how there's an option for Dennis. I can imagine it now, the minute he takes over his first video will be a review for some foot massager or something. 

Unpopular opinion: Anyone but James or Riley, please.

Riley is a bit too quirky for me; It's like I'm watching a guy that has a constant filter to block out reality and lives stuck on a merry happy world, I don't know... he's not bad, but he rubs me the wrong way.

I used to like James a lot, but over time I began feeling like his performance became more and more forced; needs to chill a bit, and re-learn how to breathe between sentences.

Literally prefer anyone over those 2; Jake, Colton, Alex, Colin, Anthony (duh!), Brandon, Taran, David... even Yvonne, to be honest (who I think has only hosted one TechLinked?)

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

To be fair, Madison holds her own against Linus, so if she can hold her own against the rest of the LTT people, she probably is the most appealing to younger audiences.

That said, the poll does no favors, there are 32 people on the LMG front page and there are only 4 women, none of them in front of the camera (and Madison isn't on it.)

The lack of women in front of the camera needs to change if they want wider appeal, but it shouldn't come at the expense of LMG's existing content. So handing anything off to Madison at this point is basically better that the status quo of "occasionally punk'ing Yvonne"

But I don't know what exactly I'd want to see. If say, Linus left LMG, or was hit by a bus, I'd probably just fill that time with some other content that I already watch rather than settle for a substitute Linus, even if they were already LMG staff. For video content, you need to both have the charisma to be in front of the camera, and stoneskin needed to deal with crappy people who will find any reason to hate you, and replacing the host with someone else is bound to unleash that kind of thing on whoever replaces Linus. It always happens.

I'm all for diversity of any kind, be it gender, race or anything else but only as long as its done on merit. Hiring people who might not be the best fit for the job but check other boxes on other lists is dumb.

Its just a fact that there are very few female techies and that's not the fault of LMG or Linus. I'm sure they do exist (iJustine is about the only one I can think of offhand) but for whatever reason they are very under represented in the industry. Its a shame because, at least IMO, females tend to bring a different POV and discussion topics to the subject.

I'll be honest and say that I originally didn't like Madison's persona, in the ROG Reboot video she was loud, rude, brash and very abrasive. I was hoping she would have minimal camera time.

Now she's been in a few videos that opinion has changed, she actually fits very well into the format (especially Tech Linked) and she seems to have dialled back the personality a few notches  She is very natural on camera and, at least on the exterior, seems to be quite knowledgeable about tech (which helps when presenting videos on the topic).

Edit - I do miss Max though, she was great. It was a shame when she left.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

It will be Dennis Tech tips with starring  Dennis and Maddison .

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me ill never leave. 

He's never going to retire or die....

They'll just make a deepfake version of him

or

upload his brain to one of the LTT servers  

either way Linus will live on forever

lol

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

@Niswendel, your thread has been edited. Please note that using link shorteners is not allowed without explicit permission from the staff:

• No spam
    • LMGTFY (Let Me Google That For You) links or comments in the same spirit.
    • Post count / reputation farming.
    • 'Ask Me Anything’ threads.
    • Shortened links (bit.ly etc) without the permission of staff.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/965477-community-standards/

Also, as noted by others, please use the forums poll feature in future. Its in another tab when you are creating a topic.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

@Niswendel, your thread has been edited. Please note that using link shorteners is not allowed without explicit permission from the staff:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/965477-community-standards/

Also, as noted by others, please use the forums poll feature in future. Its in another tab when you are creating a topic.

Will do from now on, do you mind specifically telling me where I went wrong, I’m confused?

1 hour ago, Niswendel said:

Will do from now on, do you mind specifically telling me where I went wrong, I’m confused?

I did. You had shortened link instead of direct link to poll.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

46 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

I did. You had shortened link instead of direct link to poll.

Got it, my web browser shortens in for some reason, thanks!

On 3/18/2021 at 1:51 AM, Mling said:

Jayz2cents will rule them all

I don't know but I'm scared of this guy...