Windows Updates KB5000802 and KB5000808 are causing BSOD

TubsAlwaysWins

Summary

Starting on March 9th Windows began rolling out Updates KB5000802 and KB500808 for Windows 10 versions 1909, 1903, 2004, and 20H2. There have been many reports of this update causing a BSOD, mainly from printing. These updates seem to be crashing windows when users hit the print button inside Windows. Users may see BSOD with stopcode CRITICAL_PROCES_DIED, as well as a few other different error codes. Microsoft is aware of the issue and is yet to remove the update from being pushed out and they have not released a date for a fix. 

Quotes

On March 9, Microsoft published several cumulative updates for different versions of Windows 10. Windows 10 KB5000802 for version 2004/20H2, KB5000803 for Windows Server, KB5000808 for version 1909/1903, and more.

These cumulative updates were meant to ‘fix’ several bugs that have been hanging around since last month. While most of the security issues are now fixed, it seems like the Windows 10 March 2021 update has a critical problem of its own, which could crash your PC when you click on the print button.

Several users told us that they’re getting a blue screen (BSOD) when they try to print their documents using popular apps, such as Microsoft’s own Notepad and LibreOffice.

In a new statement, a Microsoft spokesperson has now confirmed the company is actively working to resolve the Blue Screen of Death bug impacting a “subset of customers using certain printers”.

It’s not yet clear how the fix will be deployed, but it’s possible that Microsoft is preparing an emergency update to address the problem.

My thoughts

I have seen this update firsthand affect multiple computers over the past few days, giving me error codes such as INNACESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE and Issues finding srttrail.txt. Updates have caused major problems with client PCs as they are unexpected and cause 2-4 hours of downtime per computer that is affected (In my personal experience) If anyone is concerned about this you can run these commands from an elevated command prompt: wusa /uninstall /kb:5000802  and wusa /uninstall /kb:5000808. The best course of action we have found is disabling updates and running those two commands while we wait for a fix from Microsoft. I wish everyone the best of luck if they get affected. The only course of action I have been able to use to reolve after the update happens is to reset your PC (but keep your files). 

Sources

https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/03/13/microsoft-working-on-a-fix-for-windows-10-bsod-march-update/

https://windowsreport.com/kb5000802-kb5000808-bsod/

Breaking things 1 day at a time

Well don't know about printers, but that update has already caused me multiple BSODs. 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 minute ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Well don't know about printers, but that update has already caused me multiple BSODs. 

Yeah its been killing me and my customers. Ive had one customer loose 7 installs in about a week or so to it. 

I cannot recover the inaccessible boot device either which sucks, Cant believe Microsoft hasnt pulled it

2 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Yeah its been killing me and my customers. Ive had one customer loose 7 installs in about a week or so to it. 

I cannot recover the inaccessible boot device either which sucks, Cant believe Microsoft hasnt pulled it

We were just about to arrange zero day patching for a few hundred workstations due to the issues these updates fix. Guess that's being postponed now 🙂

Really hoping the March Windows Server updates aren't causing the same issues as they address some nasty DNS issues that need fixing ASAP.

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

We were just about to arrange zero day patching for a few hundred workstations due to the issues these updates fix. Guess that's being postponed now 🙂

Godspeed. I ended up making a universal image for all the PCs that are affected, At least our RMM agent makes it easy to run those commands without disturbing the user. You can throw /quiet on the end and then let it run for a bit and they wont know it happened

I updated to the latest version and have had zero hiccups with a 6 year old printer

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

1 minute ago, wall03 said:

I updated to the latest version and have had zero hiccups with a 6 year old printer

Interesting. I hope it stays that way for you 🙂

I've had bsod issues with 1H and 2H updates also. Feeling a bit common from Microsoft in the last year. Stable has received what feels like an open beta. Spend a lot more time pausing updates these days because of it.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

Is there more to it than just "printing = BSOD" ?

Which printers are affected by it? My Brother MFC-7860DW laser printer is not causing me any issues with notepad or libreoffice.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Summary

Starting on March 9th Windows began rolling out Updates KB5000802 and KB500808 for Windows 10 versions 1909, 1903, 2004, and 20H2. There have been many reports of this update causing a BSOD, mainly from printing. These updates seem to be crashing windows when users hit the print button inside Windows. Users may see BSOD with stopcode CRITICAL_PROCES_DIED, as well as a few other different error codes. Microsoft is aware of the issue and is yet to remove the update from being pushed out and they have not released a date for a fix. 

Quotes

My thoughts

I have seen this update firsthand affect multiple computers over the past few days, giving me error codes such as INNACESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE and Issues finding srttrail.txt. 

I haven't run into this at all.

Keep in mind that something changed in the Intel iRST drivers between 1809 and 1909 where if you didn't update the iRST driver BEFORE updating to 1909, the machine would do nearly exactly what's described above.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000132470/windows-10-may-2019-update-build-1903-fails-to-install-due-to-an-out-of-date-intel-rapid-storage-technology-rst-driver

Now, I'm not saying that's the correct solution here, but "inaccessible boot device" related BSOD's typically point to improperly imaged machines (eg not using expected RAID driver), and since these updates seem to involve security updates, that wouldn't be entirely unexpected for something in the boot process being changed.

That said, what are the odds of discovering a BSOD by printing?

Great I just updated Windows 🤦‍♂️ Should've not done that.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

I did the update, knowing of this bug, and prepared for BSoDs after test printing.

Surprise! No BSoD. It appears to only afflict some users, perhaps GPT installs of Windows? I have an MBR install.

elephants

yikes, I print every singe day and got the update last night. Hope this doesn't cause issues for me. I print from pdf though so maybe I should be fine?

The 1909 update caused all Surface Pros in my workplace updating from 1903 to boot loop. Now that was fun...

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Given how widely used windows is now, it is a critical software and the feds should start fining MS harshly every time they do this. hitting them in the bank account harshly is the only thing that will put a stop to this. Big corps only care about money and MS really has a monopoly with no reason to make sure they don't screw up peoples computers.

As with 100% of all Windows Update bugs; This will not affect everyone. They are never as wide spread as people make it out to be.

i have the update on every PC in my house and not a single one of them has had a BSOD. I've never had any issues with Windows update breaking things. nor has the largest majority of users. So temper your expectations

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 hours ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

*checks windows update*

ah fuck.

Got it 2 days ago on my home PC, I don't print so 🤷‍♂️

Funny. After the last update a few days ago I had to wipe out my ssd through the bios and reinstall windows because of the srttrail issue. Nothing recommended fixed it. Thanks Microsoft for wasting my time!

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

1 hour ago, Vorg said:

Given how widely used windows is now, it is a critical software and the feds should start fining MS harshly every time they do this. hitting them in the bank account harshly is the only thing that will put a stop to this. Big corps only care about money and MS really has a monopoly with no reason to make sure they don't screw up peoples computers.

All that will likely do is tie up the courts with a bunch of legal disputes among many of which will be Microsoft pointing root cause blame towards for example affected printer companies and their drivers being the problem. With the amount of different hardware configuration possibilities out there problems are bound to arise, even when you are explicitly told to for example update drivers before a feature upgrade of Windows people still don't do it.

It's pretty fair to criticize a QA process that is failing to find flaws in updates, although everyone's subjective opinion on this is different depending on circumstances, but it's another thing to start to try and pass out fines for it. If you are going to fine then you actually need to be sure to fine the correct entity or all that's going to happen is said fined company is going to take the Gov department to court that fined them, fight it, win and get a massive payout that the tax payers will have to ultimately pay for.

So unless you want to drive Microsoft towards a closed Apple like ecosystem I doubt to want to actually go down the fines paths, because for Microsoft that would be the solution to avoid fines.