Windows Updates KB5000802 and KB5000808 are causing BSOD

TubsAlwaysWins
8 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Printers suck ass. I had to set up one of those x ray machines you stick your head in at the dentists the other day and it was easier than most printer setups 

The whole printer model and how it's handled in both kernel and user space is fundamentally broken in Windows. This has more to do with legacy support and issue coming to bite MS and their users in the ass later on...which is today. Seem we all go on this Merry-Go-Round at least once or twice in our lives.

That all said, the real shocker is that the printer sub-system has actually improved over previous version of Windows! It was far worse back in the days of Windows 2003/2008; specifically with terminal servers (RDS).

8 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

I've found you can at least get files back by clicking reset my pc in the advanced troubleshooter but I couldn't recover the complete os without a re-image. Makes it difficult when theres a bunch of custom software 

What made it worse for me was that I didn't have any restore points, since somehow the feature was disabled. Thankfully I always have important data backed up. 

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

1 minute ago, Avcn42 said:

What made it worse for me was that I didn't have any restore points, since somehow the feature was disabled. Thankfully I always have important data backed up. 

What do you mean?
It's really easy to make one - just type in "restore point" into the search bar and the program should pop up.

elephants

35 minutes ago, StDragon said:

That all said, the real shocker is that the printer sub-system has actually improved over previous version of Windows! It was far worse back in the days of Windows 2003/2008; specifically with terminal servers (RDS).

And the ass backwards way of installing both 32bit and 64bit printer drivers so any client could actually print, boy that used to be so stupid to actually do that.

2 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

What do you mean?
It's really easy to make one - just type in "restore point" into the search bar and the program should pop up.

Yep, I know. Still, it was disabled by default for some reason on my previous installation.

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

On 3/13/2021 at 1:36 PM, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Well don't know about printers, but that update has already caused me multiple BSODs. 

looks like it seems to affect specifically trying to print in Adobe.   But not all clients that have the update, we've just been pulling it from problematic PCs.   The bigger issue is MS seems to have pulled the WU troubleshooter that would allow for hiding W10 updates.   Anyone have a way to hide the update w/o disabling WU?

On 3/13/2021 at 8:41 PM, Jet_ski said:

Is there anything Microsoft can’t do wrong?

it amuses me when ppl make ignorant statements like this - its literally impossible to test for every possible combo of hardware * driver version + software combo 

Statements like this show a cluelessness

3 hours ago, RSFan1977 said:

it amuses me when ppl make ignorant statements like this - its literally impossible to test for every possible combo of hardware * driver version + software combo 

Statements like this show a cluelessness

It would be ignorant if it wasn’t true. I have updated every version of macOS from 2015 to date. I’ve used plenty of Fedora and Ubuntu as well. Not once have I experienced the kinds of bugs that Microsoft constantly pushes to people’s devices. Maybe sometimes the UI has a small bug but never have I had an OS just erase my data or crash because of a printer.

I’m very fourth coming about how I feel about Microsoft and they’ve earned it. Every app or service Microsoft acquires, turns into a buggy CPU hogging mess.

2 hours ago, Jet_ski said:

It would be ignorant if it wasn’t true. I have updated every version of macOS from 2015 to date. I’ve used plenty of Fedora and Ubuntu as well. Not once have I experienced the kinds of bugs that Microsoft constantly pushes to people’s devices. Maybe sometimes the UI has a small bug but never have I had an OS just erase my data or crash because of a printer.

And yet the opposite is true for me. I've had 0 problems with windows but i've had Linux crash my router forcing it to restart for simply plugging in an ethernet cable and hardware accelerated decoding refuse to work at all regardless of how many repos and other crap people told me to put into the terminal.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 minutes ago, Arika S said:

And yet the opposite is true for me. I've had 0 problems with windows but i've had Linux crash my router forcing it to restart for simply plugging in an ethernet cable and hardware accelerated decoding refuse to work at all regardless of how many repos and other crap people told me to put into the terminal.

*notices @Jet_ski and @Arika S were using different types of hardware.  If @jet_ski was loading MacOS he more or less had to have either an actual Mac or a hackintosh*

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 hours ago, RSFan1977 said:

looks like it seems to affect specifically trying to print in Adobe.

Negative. It's not a PS (PostScript) or Adobe issue. The problem affects vendors drivers from Kyocera, Ricoh, and others; specifically ones that are "Type 3" printer drives. From what I've read, the newer "Type 4" print drivers aren't effected.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

*notices @Jet_ski and @Arika S were using different types of hardware.  If @jet_ski was loading MacOS he more or less had to have either an actual Mac or a hackintosh*

I’ve consistently used MacBooks for the last 6 years along with a desktop running some Linux distro.

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

Linux can be tricky if your hardware OEM doesn’t officially support it. But if they do and you get things working, it usually stays stable.

I have so many examples of things breaking in Windows that it’s actually sad for me. It all started with Windows 8 and 10. RIP Windows 7. From OneDrive synch issues they couldn’t fix, to the insanity of the new UI.

I'm actually baffled how Microsoft can manage to make me want to buy a Mac more with every Windows update. Isn't it usually supposed to be the other way around?

1 hour ago, thechinchinsong said:

I'm actually baffled how Microsoft can manage to make me want to buy a Mac more with every Windows update. Isn't it usually supposed to be the other way around?

Software development has moved at such a rapid pace that it's upending old paradigms of testing and launching deliverables. Now patching has become rather fluid. This is more true of web apps then locally installed however.

Essentially, the entire ethos is around the philosophy of "the perfect is the enemy of good". Or in redneck speak "good'nuff"

I live on one of my company computers. Kyocera gives a blue screen when printing from the printer, interestingly. windows won't let me uninstall kb5000808 802 is not installed. I deleted all records containing kb5000808 from regedit. The update did not appear. But the problem has not been resolved.
I put the printer in Direct mode the problem remained.

I don't know what to do, I need an urgent solution.

9 hours ago, StDragon said:

Software development has moved at such a rapid pace that it's upending old paradigms of testing and launching deliverables. Now patching has become rather fluid. This is more true of web apps then locally installed however.

Essentially, the entire ethos is around the philosophy of "the perfect is the enemy of good". Or in redneck speak "good'nuff"

I mean I can see Apple doing the same thing with update after update, but still do better each time compared to Windows updates.

20 minutes ago, thechinchinsong said:

I mean I can see Apple doing the same thing with update after update, but still do better each time compared to Windows updates.

not the best example there because while windows has to account for a couple thousands iterations of different drivers and hardware apple is locked to their own known hardware and they still manage to mess it up sometimes ....

21 minutes ago, thechinchinsong said:

It's not an issue of "can't", it's a matter of "won't". Apple is sitting on piles of cash to hire competent software developers. This isn't a technical issue insomuch as a management decision.

The only thing that will change their behavior is the collective will of the consumer. Given the fact Apple, Microsoft, and Google are an oligopoly, your average person just accepts buggy code as a normal aspect of life.

March 15, 2021—KB5001567 (OS Builds 19041.868 and 19042.868) Out-of-band (microsoft.com)

Looks like they've released a fix. Though apparently a BSOD isn't considered important enough to automatically install a fix for though. "Optional" my ass. Though "Optional quality" does seem to describe Microsoft lately.

image.png.83140758da38c2229b25c24b51b5908a.png

On 3/15/2021 at 5:39 AM, Bombastinator said:

Security through obscurity has its problems but it can be a thing.

There is no such thing, some lazy companies use this as an excuse. But its only that, an excuse. And a very bad one at that. Windows proves this rather well.

15 hours ago, HarryNyquist said:

March 15, 2021—KB5001567 (OS Builds 19041.868 and 19042.868) Out-of-band (microsoft.com)

Looks like they've released a fix. Though apparently a BSOD isn't considered important enough to automatically install a fix for though. "Optional" my ass. Though "Optional quality" does seem to describe Microsoft lately.

lol, yup, it's "Optional" all right. Says so right in my Windows Update screen.

IMHO, gambling with system stability should be "optional". At least they classified it right this time. 🤣

16 hours ago, HarryNyquist said:

Not the first time, they did this last year as well (think it was last year). Security update broke something on our servers, XML parser or something like that and the fix was optional and our rules at the time only approved critical and security. Thanks Microsoft.

So far found this affecting mostly Brother and Ricoh printer installs and not Kyocera or HP. Printer can be local or shared install. May be related to how the drivers access the HAL. There may also be a server update KB5000822 for 2019  server that does the same but with software. Started getting BSOD launching a product from a server after this update installed. Product can be installed elsewhere so rather than remove the update from the server we are moving the product.

So I've confirmed that KB5001567 resolved the issue with one client that has a Kyocera MFP, but I believe it's only compatible with Win10 builds 2004 and 20H2. So if you're still on 1909 and lower, you'll have to update to 20H2 then apply the patch. You'll want to update to 20H2 anyways as 1909 will be EOLed on May 11, 2021.

Prior to that, KB5000808 and KB5000802 would BSOD the machine when attempting to print. 

In the last week I have had a total of 24 computers all BSOD over Kyocera MFP AIO printers.

Whenever they print from any application or browser, even from the Windows TEST PRINT,

the computer throws up a BSOD with an error from win32kfull.sys .

The only fix is to uninstall Security Update KB5000802 and/or KB5000808.

This only affects Windows 10 computers running v1803 or higher.

After uninstalling, you can set the PAUSE UPDATE function to the latest date available

to keep the Updates from reinstalling.

Microsoft was supposed to pull them, but they are too stupid to even do that.

HP Printers are safe from this mess so far.

Peter R.