Verified Actual Gamer Program Information [See Best Answer / 2021-10-08 update]

Padblaze
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

*** IMPORTANT *** LATEST INFO ***

Latest drop was made 2021-09-28 17:11 UTC

The drop is over, we have no info about when, what or where the next will be. Follow LinusTechTips on Youtube for any new drops.

EXPECTED TO DROP NEXT:

• Intel Arc GPUs (hinted at Dec 24th WAN Show)

About shipping and handling

• Handling times seem to be 1 week from drop to shipping label created.
  • Shipping times depend on carrier. For outside of NA, the carrier is FedEx and shipping times seem to be regular 5-14 days. For US and Canada, the shipping times might be same, or even longer.
  • Any additional charges, like customs fees and local VAT are paid on entry to country. There has been variation between countries to whom payments are made (FedEx on delivery, FedEx to their office, custom directly), so contact your local FedEx or customs offices for more details on those.

Known drops:

1. Asus 3070, 3080 and 3090, 2021-03-20 17:40 UTC

Spoiler

2. MSI 3080 SeaHawk, 2021-03-30 16:59 UTC

Spoiler

3. AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 2021-04-09 00:59 UTC

Spoiler

4. Asus TUF 6800XT, 2021-04-24 01:57 UTC / During WAN Show

Spoiler

5. Asus TUF 6800XT, 2021-04-26 17:05 UTC

Spoiler

vag2.thumb.PNG.ddd1ef7594273016c360771a196baf6a.PNGvag.PNG.6b7b0a1f9d7fc091e7b30720625e99f8.PNG

6. EVGA RTX 3060 XC Gaming / RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra, 2021-05-06 20:29 UTC

Spoiler

7. MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X OC, 2021-09-28 17:11 UTC

$1589.99

Spoiler

PARTICIPATION ENDED! If you are local to LMG (Lower Mainland region of British Columbia, Canada), you can participate to this https://gleam.io/nntHg/verified-actual-gamer-program-can-you-beat-linus

Announced in WAN Show https://youtu.be/-qj6hkLkdYg?t=2450

The even video (also 6th drop video)

FAQ

How do I enter? Can I enter? Where to signup?

You don't. All information about the drops are posted to Youtube and are hidden in videos. So far all drops have been on LinusTechTips main channel.

UPDATE: One of the drops was made live, during the WAN Show on Fridays. Until now there has been no drops on Friday or weekends.

UPDATE: For limited time, you can participate with local event https://gleam.io/nntHg/verified-actual-gamer-program-can-you-beat-linus

I watched the video, but there were no information. Where do I find this?

The information about the drop is removed from video after the drop is over.

When are videos posted?

At the moment LMG is using their regular timeslot which is 10-11AM PST (17-18 UTC).

UPDATE: LMG has posted in different timeslot to allow those in school or working chance.

How does this work?

So far the known information is following:

• Video is posted on Youtube and Floatplane at the same time.
  • There's segment in video where Linus gives a hint about what link you need to use in order to enter. The hints are words and Linus uses his fingers to state what parts of the link they are. The links start with http://www.lttstore.com/. Link is temporary and will only show note about drop ending afterwards.
    • UPDATE: Previously there was actual cut-scene, latest drop had just voice-over during b-roll.
  • There will be challenge on store page.
    • The first two drops had 15 question quiz about video games. You have 3 lives and 3-4 options to choose from. Fastest to finish will get their chance to buy items.
      • Besides 3 lives, you can skip 2 questions.
      • The latest drop had questions in video format with some answers shown as "A/B/C/D" and some as written normally.
    • UPDATE: Latest drop had small flash game in style of Jump King / Icy Tower.
  • Item of the drop is shown on store page before taking the quiz. You will see the price and other details too.
  • UPDATE: After completing challenge, you are put onto queue with AFK meter to prevent idling. Forgetting to re-charge bar will drop you at the tail end of the line
  • Prices are before VAT, tariffs etc. and shown in USD. Price after tariffs (US only) are shown on page.
  • You are allowed to buy one CPU and one GPU from this event. (Source)

Can you tell me when the next drop is?

No, because we don't know.

I'm at school/sleeping/working/have other reasons and can't watch at current time slot.

Linus has said that they will at some point use different time slot. What it is, we don't know. UPDATE: The time slot for later time was 12PM-1AM UTC.

Why can't they have link or more information somewhere?

Because the whole point is make this as hard as possible for anyone but the absolute most dedicated fans.

Why they don't collect list of people? Why aren't forum members, Floatplane subscribers etc. prioritized?

List wouldn't do anything. There would still need to be draw of sort needed, and the list would consist more of non-gamers the longer it was left open. Prioritizing forum members would discriminate towards other parts of audience.

Having payment as requirement to join or as something making "winning" more likely is classified as lottery under laws. This would require permit, it would exclude several regions which require local permits or don't allow any lottery, and it would put age limit of 19 years in place.

Can I try quiz afterwards?

At the moment, no. But there might be site at some point after event ends.

Posts made by Luke and Linus.

Spoiler

WAN Show segments

Spoiler

WAN Show Jun 4, 2021

26:25 - 27:10 "We currently have no stock, but the program is still on"

1:23:00 - 1:23:30 One board partner with some 3080Ti's coming

WAN Show April 23, 2021

17:43 - 34:43 VAG Drop live on stream

43:15 - 44:50 VAG drop is over, hinted about 270 more cards

1:16:40 - 1:17:44 Some last minute info

WAN Show April 16, 2021

1:36:30 Super-chats

WAN Show April 9, 2021

13:20 - 13:40 The latest drop info
40:50 - 43:55 The local event info
1:15:35 - 1:17:34 Super-chats #1
1:24:25 - 1:24:47 Super-chats #2
1:25:47 - 1:26:07 Super-chats #3

WAN Show August 27, 2021

1:05:40 - Super-chats

WAN Show October 8, 2021

2:06:20 - Super-chats

Here Linus says that Verified Actual Gamer program would be suspended until further notice. Reason given was that retail prices are about same as so-called "scalper prices". Making the program pointless.

WAN Show December 24, 2021

1:09:10 onward

To be updated

Misc:

3 minutes ago, kelly.clubb said:

Aww, I was somewhat hoping this would be a 1C1S type program that we can get in a queue.  I can defiantly prove I'm a gamer via the computer and my steam profile and YouTube channels I'm part of. Would love to have a chance to get a card if that ever happens again.

same here!!!!!!  I have a GTX 1080 8 GB and would love to upgrade!  I'd be willing to put mine back in the pool for others to buy at msrp!

Holy shit. He's maybe* going to buy scalper cards and put them on the vag program. 

That's a baller ass move, but also really fuck scalpers, I think I'd rather them sit with the stock until it devalues, as unlikely that is.

So, in today's WAN Show, Linus talked about suppliers not receiving all the promised stock from the manufacturer, and that the V.A.G program would guarantee to provide all stock to V.A.G. However on an earlier stream Linus also mentioned that the middleman "misplaced" some of the gpus. Seems like the problem is with the contracted delivery method?

34 minutes ago, Dumb_Ass said:

P.S. Scalping is illegal in Canada

Citation needed*

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

4 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

Citation needed*

It's not illegal in Canada.  There are some new(ish) laws surrounding ticket reselling but that's about it.

Server - 10850K   |   Daily - 12700k  |  Gaming - Steam Deck

19 minutes ago, xfridgewizardx said:

same here!!!!!!  I have a GTX 1080 8 GB and would love to upgrade!  I'd be willing to put mine back in the pool for others to buy at msrp!

You just gotta watch LTT videos until they drop a link or hint in the video. I'm not sure if they verify you're a gamer after purchase before shipping or before though that's what I'm trying to find out.

3 minutes ago, Lomac said:

It's not illegal in Canada.  There are some new(ish) laws surrounding ticket reselling but that's about it.

Yeah thats why I said that, I knew it wasnt lol.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I am guessing I missed the first drop. Kind of bummed as I watch LTT media channels all the time and never saw any announcement it was live. How long was the info in the video before it was pulled?

21 minutes ago, Jontario said:

You just gotta watch LTT videos until they drop a link or hint in the video. I'm not sure if they verify you're a gamer after purchase before shipping or before though that's what I'm trying to find out.

This is what happened with the previous drop, a few days ago? Unsure on exactly when it happened but it wasn't long ago. The notification was in the middle of a video so you'll want to be subbed to the channel and check videos as soon as the drop.

In terms of HOW it works, my understanding is that there is a small, easy quiz to take you to the cart section, but they still go quite fast.

37 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

Citation needed*

33 minutes ago, Lomac said:

29 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

Yeah thats why I said that, I knew it wasnt lol.

*I reject your reality and substitute my own.

And yes guys u right, I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be nice if it was not only on tickets.

Can someone please link me to where I can sign up for this???  I can't for the life of me figure out where to go to sign up for the Verified Actual Gamer Program!

46 minutes ago, mekalus said:

I am guessing I missed the first drop. Kind of bummed as I watch LTT media channels all the time and never saw any announcement it was live. How long was the info in the video before it was pulled?

Much the same for me I guess. The videos go up early in the morning in Australia, around 4:40am.

On one hand I get wanting only the absolutely dedicated viewers to be able to get the cards. But also massive RIP anyone in Australia who has any form of job or goes to school.

Here's hoping a drop happens during a WAN show or something in future.

During the WAN show Linus brought up a few things. 

1) I personally (and apparently the majority of people) do NOT want to see the scalpers get paid. 
Linus said we need to contact the manufactures saying 

"You got to let GPU makers know. You got let guys like Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte and MSI let these guys know. Hey we want to see you guys support the V.A.G program because we trust LinusTechTips to actually deliver these things to the hands of actual gamers". 

I propose we contact every GPU manufacture that we can and send them almost word-for-word what he said.

2) The issue of making money through the V.A.G. came up. Honestly, I don't think any of us care. Make your money. We'd rather see you get filthy rich than the scalpers get a dime.

3) The video idea. I think it would be great if you perhaps did a decathlon of gaming. 1st round is some part of building a PC. 2nd round is an FPS game. 3rd round is trivia about LMG and 4th is a racing game. 
Best time get's the GPU for a discounted price. (everyone else invited and shows competence get's to buy at full price or appropriate discount for their placing in the competition. 

26 minutes ago, Nantangitan said:

Much the same for me I guess. The videos go up early in the morning in Australia, around 4:40am.

On one hand I get wanting only the absolutely dedicated viewers to be able to get the cards. But also massive RIP anyone in Australia who has any form of job or goes to school.

Here's hoping a drop happens during a WAN show or something in future.

He basically just said on the wan show, with a wonderful visual elbow to the camera's side, that some will happen on videos posted at other times.

Sorry but I just don't understand LMG's thinking here. Why not limit the vast majority of Verified Actual Gamer program drops to Forum Members who's account was (at a minimum), created sometime before the program announcement, paid subscribers & Floatplane subs. Then, have just one or two drops done via this scheme. This "have to watch every video the minute they launch roulette" is at best wildly unfair or at worst just shy of unethical. I mean really... people work / go to school / have real world obligations that preclude that level of attention. I understand LMG wants/needs to make bank on the views;, (this is proper & just) but please reconsider how you're doing this. I'd really like the opportunity to buy a new card to replace my aging GTX1070 at a fair price.

It happened and its gone already by the time I can even get on a computer and I never even knew. So as someone who has to work 3rd Shift, I guess eff me huh? So just like every other storefront then...cool....

I assumed this would be: Put name on list -> Verify gamer cred -> Get one-off link to buy card. Not this "Ok, go" mad rush that every one else does. Good luck to everyone else, but I guess I'm not gamer enough for this.

I didn't even know I missed it. I'm in Australia so I suspect I was asleep when the original video was posted to Youtube, but as you took the contest/VGP piece out of the video after I had no idea I had missed it. I have signed up to this forum now so at least I can tell I missed it a bit quicker than 3 days later... Can anyone tell me what the price was roughly for an AIB 6800 XT?

Also, during the WAN show Linus mentioned something about VR as a test to see if we are gamers, but I don't own any VR gear so I hope that doesn't just disqualify me outright. I'm not interested in VR.

Im not upset just disappointed and very curious how long it was before they ran out of stock on this drop. Was it an hour? Several? Given the verification process I think it is safe to assume it wasn't minutes. They didn't give any details during the WAN show about the length of time it took. I hope I am able to stay on top of the videos for the next go around. 

On 3/20/2021 at 7:44 AM, LogicalDrm said:

Milk it? Like gain something from failed experiment? Linus has paid for the cards already. He won't gain anything by keeping them for weeks to months. He gains for successful launch of the program, both getting his money back and getting positive publicity for it. Failing to launch program after weeks isn't good for him, nor sending the stuff back. So please explain what you mean by "milking".

Seriously, what kind of BS gross attitude is this? Like, you would think that people would be grateful for the LTT crew doing such a nice thing for everyone like this.  They have no obligations to us whatsoever, and no one else is doing anything remotely as cool as they are.  I'm sure that the demand is absolutely MASSIVE considering how big the channel has become just in the last year or so, I've watched as the traffic here/discord, even the concurrent live viewership on a random "hey it's Linus and I'm gonna build 8 computers back to back on stream" stream or the WAN show is regularly a quite massive amount of people any time of day (not to mention how difficult it is even for those of us who have been actively looking and subscribing to twitter alert accounts/youtube streams of automated stock checking alerts.)  I just finished watching the most recent WAN show and I'm kind of shocked that people had a problem with liberating GPUs from the hands of scalpers and into the homes of gamers.  Like, I totally understand and mostly agree with the whole 'not supporting scalpers' thing but let's be realistic here, if they already are circulating out there and the only people buying them are are both super rich+lucky.  Something of which I am neither. 

I would love to be able to get a chance even at buying ANY card, myself.  I am back to using a 5-6 yr old macbook that I spilled a sprite/orange soda mix on the keyboard/mouse and it somehow still works despite the keys being kinda sticky - most of my possessions were burgled when someone broke into my car while preparing to move from my apartment...in broad daylight at 6:30 am no less, hooray.

6 minutes ago, mekalus said:

Im not upset just disappointed and very curious how long it was before they ran out of stock on this drop. Was it an hour? Several? Given the verification process I think it is safe to assume it wasn't minutes. They didn't give any details during the WAN show about the length of time it took. I hope I am able to stay on top of the videos for the next go around. 

Luke posted the details earlier in this thread.

It took 29 minutes between the video going live and the last graphics card (of 100?) being sold.

On 3/24/2021 at 6:02 AM, Slick said:

March 23, 2021 at 11:09 - Last Order 
March 23, 2021 at 10:45 - First Order 
March 23, 2021 at 10:40 - Video Live

Stats for nerds ^_^ 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 hours ago, Exarkun631 said:

Can someone please link me to where I can sign up for this???  I can't for the life of me figure out where to go to sign up for the Verified Actual Gamer Program!

2 hours ago, drop0ne said:

I want in please!!!!  

Any information will be given in LTT video. Any additional BTS info will be given in WAN Shows. Also, both Linus and Luke have replied to this thread. This is not something where you sign up, its something where you are dedicated and get rewarded for dedication.

4 hours ago, CS325 said:

I assumed this would be: Put name on list -> Verify gamer cred -> Get one-off link to buy card. Not this "Ok, go" mad rush that every one else does. Good luck to everyone else, but I guess I'm not gamer enough for this.

Names on a list, get checkmarked, then what? The number of willing buyers would outnumber number of items on sale. There would still need to be something to decide who gets right to buy. Anything involving random draw where only some entries win is called raffle and is under gambling laws. If there's entry fee to raffle, its directly lottery/gambling and is even tighter controlled by laws. It would also exclude some number of regions which are currently allowed.

2 hours ago, Frodo Baggins said:

Can anyone tell me what the price was roughly for an AIB 6800 XT?

This drop was for Nvidia 3xxx series. The screenshots with pricing can be found in this thread (pages 14-18 are about this drop).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, Dumb_Ass said:

*I reject your reality and substitute my own.

And yes guys u right, I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be nice if it was not only on tickets.

I personally have no issue with scalpers. They’re just taking advantage of the current state of the market for their own profit. 

8 hours ago, ClintyisMinty said:

New account here sorry if I mess up in some way but I think it would be cool if you guys made this a big event like the rig reboot where you and the contender pick a game and vs each other and for play and then have a mystery round or somthing 

Merged with megathread. Linus did reply to this earlier in the threads:

8 hours ago, progamer21 said:

I am a gamer with no gpu and I want to get 30 series but am not clear how and when the Verified actual gamer program gpu drops happen. I would like to know plz tell me.

Merged to megathread. First drop was on Wednesdays video. Timing for next is unknown, but most likely next week starting from Monday.

8 hours ago, Andriko said:

So, in today's WAN Show, Linus talked about suppliers not receiving all the promised stock from the manufacturer, and that the V.A.G program would guarantee to provide all stock to V.A.G. However on an earlier stream Linus also mentioned that the middleman "misplaced" some of the gpus. Seems like the problem is with the contracted delivery method?

Merged to megathread.

6 hours ago, PhD_Tap said:

During the WAN show Linus brought up a few things. 

1) I personally (and apparently the majority of people) do NOT want to see the scalpers get paid. 
Linus said we need to contact the manufactures saying 

"You got to let GPU makers know. You got let guys like Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte and MSI let these guys know. Hey we want to see you guys support the V.A.G program because we trust LinusTechTips to actually deliver these things to the hands of actual gamers". 

I propose we contact every GPU manufacture that we can and send them almost word-for-word what he said.

2) The issue of making money through the V.A.G. came up. Honestly, I don't think any of us care. Make your money. We'd rather see you get filthy rich than the scalpers get a dime.

3) The video idea. I think it would be great if you perhaps did a decathlon of gaming. 1st round is some part of building a PC. 2nd round is an FPS game. 3rd round is trivia about LMG and 4th is a racing game. 
Best time get's the GPU for a discounted price. (everyone else invited and shows competence get's to buy at full price or appropriate discount for their placing in the competition. 

Merged to megathread.

6 hours ago, Exarkun631 said:

Sorry but I just don't understand LMG's thinking here. Why not limit the vast majority of Verified Actual Gamer program drops to Forum Members who's account was (at a minimum), created sometime before the program announcement, paid subscribers & Floatplane subs. Then, have just one or two drops done via this scheme. This "have to watch every video the minute they launch roulette" is at best wildly unfair or at worst just shy of unethical. I mean really... people work / go to school / have real world obligations that preclude that level of attention. I understand LMG wants/needs to make bank on the views;, (this is proper & just) but please reconsider how you're doing this. I'd really like the opportunity to buy a new card to replace my aging GTX1070 at a fair price.

You are saying they should make paid gambling instead of free-for-all? Sorry, but you need to think and read before you post.

Why not make it pay-to-get-chance-of-winning? Because thats gambling and under strict laws. They would need permit for running such, and it would exclude number of regions where you need local permits to run any gambling.

Why not make it raffle? Where large number of people gets verified and after that get chance to get to buy one? Again, this is raffle and requires permit + would exclude some regions.

Why not make it forums only? Because not all LTT fans use forums. Just this even has made some 10+ new members to join. They have made "Forums Only" once, during the move from house studio to current HQ. Also, just being on forums for long time doesn't make one a Verified Actual Gamer. It also wouldn't really fix the issues, if you then would require to run raffle.

So in conclusion. The current thing can be seen unfair for certain groups. But as it has been noted in the thread, its really hard to make anything with limited stock fair to everyone wanting one. There's always someone thinking some part was unfair towards them because they didn't get one. Unethical? How? You need to explain what part of this is "unethical".

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just watched someone's recording of them taking the quiz and jesus christ that was way harder than I expected. Does anyone know how many you actually had to get right in order to be validated? 

I know in yesterday's WAN show they said it may not be a quiz next time, but just asking so I have some idea of how difficult this is going to be in general.