[RUMOR] AMD EPYC 7004 Genoa Zen 4 CPU Allegedly has 96 cores and 192 threads with 12-channel DDR5-5200 memory support

poochyena

Summary

AMD EPYC 7004 Genoa Zen 4 CPU Allegedly has 96 cores and 192 threads with 12-channel DDR5-5200 memory support

Quotes

Leaker and Twitter user @ExecuFix claims to have the inside scoop on one of AMD's eventual Genoa chips, one that wields 96 cores and 192 threads. They say it will also feature 12-channel DDR5-5200 memory support, as well as 128 PCI Express 5.0 lanes (160 lanes for 2P configurations), and have a 350W TDP configurable up to 400W.

My thoughts

I'm amazed by AMD continuing to advance CPUs so quickly so continuously. Intel would give us a few bumps in performance every few years, but AMD has impressed every year repeatably. I was kinda expected them to get a little complacent by now.

Sources

https://hothardware.com/news/amd-epyc-7004-genoa-zen-4-cpu-ddr5-lga-6096-socket

2 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Summary

AMD EPYC 7004 Genoa Zen 4 CPU Allegedly has 96 cores and 192 threads with 12-channel DDR5-5200 memory support

Quotes

My thoughts

I'm amazed by AMD continuing to advance CPUs so quickly so continuously. Intel would give us a few bumps in performance every few years, but AMD has impressed every year repeatably. I was kinda expected them to get a little complacent by now.

Sources

https://hothardware.com/news/amd-epyc-7004-genoa-zen-4-cpu-ddr5-lga-6096-socket

DDR5. That’s all I have to say

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

That's disgusting.

Spoiler

I really don't want to say there's a good kind of disgusting, but I don't mean this negatively lol.

can't wait for a 192core server video from ltt.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Think I'm about to bust, holy shit.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Oho... this will be insane to see, I wonder will there be even high core count with this series even. Can't wait to see stacked dies.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

37 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I can't wait for 24 gamers 1 CPU.

Considering that getting 24, let alone 96 GPU's or USB ports is going to be an issue.

One of the key reasons high density cpu's don't end up in desktops is that they typically run at half the clock speed. You know, at a speed that a game will be noticed, but server applications will not.

29 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Considering that getting 24, let alone 96 GPU's or USB ports is going to be an issue.

One of the key reasons high density cpu's don't end up in desktops is that they typically run at half the clock speed. You know, at a speed that a game will be noticed, but server applications will not.

Id like to see LTT do the multi gamers one system with something like vmware horizon. Then people can use thin clients, and multiple users can share a single gpu. Also its fully supported so there should be much fewer issues than doing passthough.

Just remember, if something sounds too good to be true... it's probably fake or inaccurate.

• 12 Chiplets: Possible but also physically and electrically problematic [Edit again] (Read the source, actually claiming 12 chiplets. I should read sources first lol) 12 core CCD makes far more sense than 8 core CCD with Zen 4 if this many cores.
  • 12 DDR5 Memory Channels: Possible, unnecessary and also physically and electrically problematic
  • 128/160 PCIe 5.0: Likely correct
  • 350W-400W TDP: Unlikely, lower TDP parts are already proprietary water cooling only and this is 100W+ more than those

Random meaningless credibility score from random dude on the internet: 3/10

Supposedly, anyway. Another leaker, a "retired engineer and businessman" who goes by @chiakokhua on Twitter, replied to the mockup saying, "Bet you $6 this is incorrect." This prompted a response by @ExecuFix, who said they will "gladly take your $6."

I'll take that bet and 10x it, $6 is no fun.

7003 hasn't launched yet that I'm aware of so I'm skeptical of this rumor. It'll be fascinating if they do squeeze 96 cores into the SP3 socket though.

I'll also want one. 🤤

And my family are all still using CPU ranging from mid 2000's dual cores, all the way up to pre 2015 quad cores.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Insane. Some doubt if the announcement/rumour is false, there is a chance it is. But I'm also aware that it could well be true as it would make sense for AMD to push the boundaries while Intel is still down, making use of their momentum in the server market. So a 6/10 for credibility IMO.

Price-wise, I'd say well above the 10k for the current 7000 series, around the $15-17k (US) I reckon. Gonna be a very popular chip for supercomputing clusters and other virtualisation tasks I think.

Can't wait for the server builds from LTT, Level1Techs and STH 😉  Particularly Linus opening some system monitoring tool: "Look at al those coooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooores! It's not gonna fit on the screen!! We need a bigger screen, where's that 65" TV?!" 🤣

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

That's a lot of cores!

And single core performance will be able as good as a pentium 3, isn't it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

28 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

But I'm also aware that it could well be true as it would make sense for AMD to push the boundaries while Intel is still down, making use of their momentum in the server market.

The number of memory channels is very unrealistic and the TDP even more so. There might be some custom chips for HPC that high but they will be from the likes of Cray only with water cooling.

12 memory channels is basically impossible to fit physically in to the most common standard server formfactors and with the current 8 of DDR4 the move to DDR5 should mean 8 channels would be sufficient for more than 96 cores.

SKY-9240 - 2U4N Rackmount Server, Designed for Hyper-converged and HPC  Application - Advantech

You cannot make this wider, so if the socket is larger and there are 12 memory channels where are the slots supposed to go? Rotate the socket 90 degrees and make it longer, well not everyone wants much longer than what is in usage now.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:
  • 12 Chiplets
  • 350W-400W TDP

Those two are very good reasons to doubt it,

It doesn't make sense to have 12 chaplets - it will create latency problems,potential bandwidth bottlenecks and more.

And it doesn't make sense to have a 350W~400W CPU in a market that is all about performance per watt,which is reflected by it's lower clock speeds.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Random meaningless credibility score from random dude on the internet: 3/10

I agree,a lot of things just don't make sense here.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Just now, Vishera said:

It doesn't make sense to have 12 chaplets - it will create latency problems,potential bandwidth bottlenecks and more.

I'm not even sure it's possible to connect them to the IOD, there's actual traces in the sub-straight and suffice to say shit gets complicated as you increase the number of die you need to interconnect.

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I'm not even sure it's possible to connect them to the IOD

Good point.

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

there's actual traces in the sub-straight and suffice to say shit gets complicated as you increase the number of die you need to interconnect.

Yeah,I know that.

From my calculations 8 CCDs is possible,but 12 is a fantasy (for now).

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

6 hours ago, SGT-AMD said:

96 cores is enough for a herd of cows......

A single core is more than enough for a herd of cows.  Cows can’t type.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, leadeater said:
  • 350W-400W TDP: Unlikely, lower TDP parts are already proprietary water cooling only and this is 100W+ more than those

Area you really share the dissipated power is a problem considering it being loads of different dies on the CPU and thus spreading out the heat over a larger area?

24 minutes ago, Spindel said:

Area you really share the dissipated power is a problem considering it being loads of different dies on the CPU and thus spreading out the heat over a larger area?

Yes, the HPC only 7H12 is 280W and deployed only with water cooling. Intel's Xeon 9200 series are also BGA only and come in water cooled systems. Once you go above 250W on a socket air cooling in servers become problematic. You can but it rules out a lot of configurations so no many want CPU with that much power usage. Then you also start encountering power density problems in racks, not ever hosting provider and business has 20kw+ per rack capability

fdsf.png

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Yes, the HPC only 7H12 is 280W and deployed only with water cooling. Intel's Xeon 9200 series are also BGA only and come in water cooled systems. Once you go above 250W on a socket air cooling in servers become problematic. You can but it rules out a lot of configurations so no many want CPU with that much power usage. Then you also start encountering power density problems in racks, not ever hosting provider and business has 20kw+ per rack capability

fdsf.png

BTW sorry for the really bad english in the post you quoted, autocorrect made a really wierd number on that message and I didn’t proof read 😛

Whilst i think the doubts raised are solid i do want to raise a couple of counterpoints.

1. Transistors per core generally goes up as IPC does. Even with a smaller node there's a fundamental limit to how many transistors they can squeeze into a given amopunt of silicon and the whole point of chiplets was to trim silicon area per die down so they're not going to want to push it back up. And that means if AMD in the long term wants to ever increase core counts again they have to solve the interconnects issue somehow, it's a non-optional issue for them. So whilst it might be a valid criticism, it's also at the same time somthing AMD is eventually going to debut an answer for in some form. This generation could be that debut, then again it may not. We'll see.

2. Memory channel count. Nothing says that every board has to support more than 8 channels. People have been saying current epic can hit memory bottlenecks with just 64 cores in some scenarios. Building extra memory channels into the IO die from the start may be an attempt along with the DDR5 to give those with such workloads an option.

4 minutes ago, Spindel said:

BTW sorry for the really bad english in the post you quoted, autocorrect made a really wierd number on that message and I didn’t proof read 😛

Don't worry my post just then is full of errors too hahaha