Reports are Fry's is officially dead as of the end of the day

Middcore

Not posting in Tech News because there is no "official" source yet but lots of reports from employees on Reddit and social media that today was the last day of business for Fry's Electronics, and the company's website will go dark as of 12am. Already getting 503 errors sometimes trying to access it. Employees apparently got no advance notice, although the writing has basically been on the wall for Fry's for a while. 

The thing is that if they had any actual inventory the pandemic could have potentially saved them. Micro Center has done bonkers business in the past year. But by most reports their stores have been pretty empty going back to 2019 or even earlier, I remember Nerd on a Budget, Bitwit, and maybe others all doing videos showing bares shelves and terrible prices on the few items they did have (over $200 for a 1050 ti - little did we know at the time!). 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Tiger Direct gone. Fry's Gone. FUCK I MISS RADIO SHACK GONE.

All the good ones gone. online shopping, shipping to home and covid the last nail in the coffin.

Rest In Piece old store friend. 😞

25 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

All the good ones gone. online shopping, shipping to home and covid the last nail in the coffin.

Radio Shack is back.  No, really, it is!

Now being confirmed by news media. https://www.kron4.com/news/national/frys-electronics-permanently-closes-nationwide/

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Summary

KRON4, a local TV news station in the San Francisco Bay Area, has confirmed rumors that Fry's Electronics will close all of its stores permanently. The electronics store, which opened its doors for the first time in 1985, has recently struggled with a lack of stock. Fry's currently has more than two dozen stores nationwide, mainly across California and Texas. The exact reason for this closure is currently unknown.

Quotes

KRON4 has confirmed famed Bay Area retailer Fry’s Electronics is closing its doors permanently.

The company is expected to post closure information on its website early Wednesday morning. 

Fry’s has more than two dozen stores mainly across California and Texas.

From Fry’s company website:

Fry’s Electronics, Inc. was founded in 1985 in Sunnyvale, California in a 20,000 square-foot location by the three Fry brothers, John, Randy, and Dave; and Kathy Kolder. Fry’s is a closely-held private company, and all of the founders are actively involved in the daily operation of the business.

Fry’s was founded as a Silicon Valley retail electronics store to provide a one-stop-shopping environment for the Hi-Tech Professional. Fry’s continues to keep hi-tech professionals supplied with products representing the latest technological trends and advances in the personal computer marketplace. Fry’s retails over 50,000 electronic items within each store, now totaling 30. There are currently 6 stores in Northern California, 8 stores in Southern California, 8 stores in Texas, 2 stores in Arizona, and 1 store each in Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Nevada, Oregon and Washington. The stores range in size from 50,000 to over 180,000 square feet. Fry’s also provides customers with added shopping opportunities via its website at www.frys.com.

My thoughts

This was expected. For the last few years, the was a matter of when, and not if.

Sources

https://www.kron4.com/news/national/frys-electronics-permanently-closes-nationwide/

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

The real killer for frys was online shopping.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 hours ago, Middcore said:

Micro Center has done bonkers business in the past year. 

You don’t know that whatsoever. They’re a private company and don’t report their financials to the public. 

Just because you think it doesn’t make it fact...

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

R.I.P frys, it's been so empty for so long, but I'm still gonna miss it, I have childhood nostalgia of buying my first pc their, and countless parts, video games, and even a food processor. It was also just a fun place to hang out and talk with like minded people, R.I.P.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Quite sad. I live near the one in Wilsonville, Oregon and have always loved walking around inside there. It has always been an awesome place for electronics gear and just awesome overall. Something in-between a RadioShack and a Best Buy. In the last two years however, stock has dropped to nil. I saw this coming, but it is still sad.

The internet was better when there were not many businesses on it. Conspiracy theories were allowed to run free and amazon wasn't killing businesses. Boomers did this.

Threads merged and moved to Tech News. Don't want multiple posts having identical discussions.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

17 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

You don’t know that whatsoever. They’re a private company and don’t report their financials to the public. 

Chill my dude. They probably have said something about it, and it's only logical. Are there numbers? No. But that doesn't mean we can't draw inferences

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

3 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

https://www.tigerdirect.com
Tiger Direct still exist.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

42 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Threads merged and moved to Tech News. Don't want multiple posts having identical discussions.

My bad, didn’t check anywhere other than Tech News.

3 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

I mean, this kind of works both ways, You don't know they haven't either.

Sure I realise you're not making that claim but whenever I see the "you don't know that because nobody knows that" argument I always laugh a little at the huge logical fallacy there.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

AAAAAND.. shes a doneski's....

image.thumb.png.fd5abf5e5db68aacba4d2e5d91ac0bba.png

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

10 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

FUCK I MISS RADIO SHACK GONE.

WRONG

https://www.radioshack.com/pages/store-locator

They're just extremely smaller stores or stores within stores now

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I’m hoping the Fry’s location here in Austin becomes a Microcenter. Fry’s and CompUSA shuttered all the computer stores here years back, so it’s time we get a legitimate computer shop.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

8 hours ago, Random_Person1234 said:

https://www.tigerdirect.com
Tiger Direct still exist.

Al the walk in stores closed.

Online when they closed had nothing for stock. 

Will visit the site later see how they've co.e up since the stores closed.

1 hour ago, rcmaehl said:

WRONG

https://www.radioshack.com/pages/store-locator

They're just extremely smaller stores or stores within stores now

They are in Hobby town stores. All the regular RadioShack stores have been closed in the Chicago land area. 

Opps sorry for double post.

I shopped at one local to me 3 days before the store closed and got some killer deals.

11 hours ago, tkitch said:

Radio Shack is back.  No, really, it is!

I dunno if I'd say its back. More like it's on an iron lung.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Amazing! Just how were they paying the bill to keep the lights on in those stores and staff paid? Why didn't they declare bankruptcy sooner to restructure?

11 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Micro Center is still the geek mecca. May it live long and prosper!