My friend is DDOS atacking me

urbanzerdin

I was wondering... how can I prevent my internet from being DDOS atacked by my friend? I host a server so my firewall has some holes... can anyone help me? I could fake a police call... IDK

get a bigger internet connection.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

52 minutes ago, urbanzerdin said:

I was wondering... how can I prevent my internet from being DDOS atacked by my friend? I host a server so my firewall has some holes... can anyone help me? I could fake a police call... IDK

Faking a police call is a great way to get YOU in trouble, not them. 

1 hour ago, urbanzerdin said:

I was wondering... how can I prevent my internet from being DDOS atacked by my friend? I host a server so my firewall has some holes... can anyone help me?

If the resources are available, you can report it to the authorities as they are committing a crime.

That said it sounds like you are looking for another solution...

Unplug your server for a time, change your static ip... walk next door and punch him j/k?

1 hour ago, urbanzerdin said:

I could fake a police call... IDK

Please for the love of all things... DONT. Just don't, you will be charged for impersonation and jail time is pretty much guaranteed.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 hours ago, urbanzerdin said:

I'd report them to the authorities.

Contact local authorities.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

38 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Contact local authorities.

Be realistic. The police are not going to do anything or know what to do. Contact the ISP, let them deal with it.

2 hours ago, Sakuriru said:

Right so you block all traffic coming from him. Just set this up at your router or gateway.

Holes plugged, problem solved.

That doesn't prevent a DDoS; the traffic still goes to OP's modem/router, consuming all inbound bandwidth, even if the traffic is never forwarded to LAN.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

release your ip address, unplug your modem.. Hopefully your ip address goes back into the pool.. wait a few hours.. plug modem in, renew ip address.. see what happens..

Call your isp, have them clear the mac for your ip if you get the same ip address...

8 hours ago, urbanzerdin said:

Reassess your standards of friendship?

Put in a real police call as your “friend” is committing a crime?
Block the IP via firewall(may only work temporarily)?
Get a new IP address?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1) Are you sure he is DDOSing you? How do you know? 

2) What type of DDOS attack is it? Is he using up your bandwidth or something else. 

3) How did he find your IP? 

We need answers to those questions before we can give you any help. 

1st:: How could you even call someone who ddos'd you a friend?  

2nd:You tried using one of those Free VPN? sure they are sh*t but until you purchase a real VPN, better than nothing 

*** Thread cleaned ***

If I see even one more person suggesting violence or other way to harm, cause injury etc. you can be sure that I will haunt your PMs or worse.

-> Moved to Networking

Is it really DoS (= them just pinging you from their connection) or DDoS (=them paying someone to mass-ping you)? To former you don't really have much options, not unless their service ToS states something like that being out of the question. If its latter, report them to their ISP. Thats 100% in violation of terms and will get their connection cut fast.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Be realistic. The police are not going to do anything or know what to do. Contact the ISP, let them deal with it.

DDos is illegal under the cyber crimes act. and should be reported and all the police departments around the world will have a cyber team.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

16 hours ago, urbanzerdin said:

So many questions here...

How is this person your 'friend'?

Why is he attacking you?

You do realize what he is doing is pretty illegal in most places

Have you asked him to stop? Is he intentionally being malicious or does he think you two are 'playing around'?

I would seriously re-evaluate this 'friendship' and document everything

1 hour ago, Sir Asvald said:

DDos is illegal under the cyber crimes act. and should be reported and all the police departments around the world will have a cyber team.

Many things are illegal but passed over by the police. Budget cuts have spread forces thin. They tend to place resources to other priorities. 

I don't disagree about the legality of it, but think realistically about how that conversation would go... 

OP- hello police, I'd like to report a crime. 

POLICE- ok what happened? 

OP- my friend DDOS'ed me

POLICE -...... Uh, can you please be more specific? What's ddos? 

OP-my friend was mean to me on the internet. 

POLICE -.... I..... Uh..... You.... Uh...... I am off duty now. 

8 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Many things are illegal but passed over by the police. Budget cuts have spread forces thin. They tend to place resources to other priorities. 

I don't disagree about the legality of it, but think realistically about how that conversation would go... 

OP- hello police, I'd like to report a crime. 

POLICE- ok what happened? 

OP- my friend DDOS'ed me

POLICE -...... Uh, can you please be more specific? What's ddos? 

OP-my friend was mean to me on the internet. 

POLICE -.... I..... Uh..... You.... Uh...... I am off duty now. 

You report a crime on their website, you don't call them... unless it is an emergency or to the IC3 agency.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

12 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

You report a crime on their website, you don't call them... unless it is an emergency or to the IC3 agency.

Not in my city... Where I live, you have a problem, you call or go in. (not sure what ic3 is - an American thing?) 

2 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Not in my city... Where I live, you have a problem, you call or go in. (not sure what ic3 is - an American thing?) 

Yes it is an American government agency. 

2 hours ago, Sakuriru said:

While this is true, if the friend is really engaging in an attack of the scale/sophistication that would defeat a firewall

That's not how it works. A DDoS doesn't "defeat" a firewall. The point is in choking the bandwidth.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

36 minutes ago, Sakuriru said:

But it won't be affecting the server, because the server won't ever be receiving the requests.

Of course it will. If you only have, say, 100Mbps incoming bandwidth and someone is sending 100Mbps worth of traffic at you, it's irrelevant whether the traffic ever hits your server if it's still hitting your router or modem. All that traffic is STILL consuming the bandwidth, regardless of whether it goes anywhere else from the router/modem.

It would be interesting to see what @urbanzerdin did with all this information. Hasn’t responded since the OP.

BTW, aren’t ISPs able to detect activity like this and intervene to limit further attacks?