Is Linus actually trying to create e waste?

chocolatekarma
On 2/17/2021 at 4:49 AM, WereCatf said:

No. I'm a deep-fried nerd: I hide in the basement, avoid people, sunlight burns my skin and fresh air is toxic.

I've gone skiing in -30C.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

2 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

I've gone skiing in -30C.

The cold isn't so bad, if you just wear the right gear, but skiing? Nope, not approved!

disapproval.jpg.ac041dedec021c3acf6184b5c2a7304d.jpg

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

This has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read - and I've read my horoscope!

1. Not all hardware received they keep. Sometimes the manufacture has them return it after evaluation.
  2. Sometimes hardware (specifically engineering samples) gets passed around to all the different reviewing houses, so again, they don't keep it.
  3. They are always building different systems for different reasons. I.E. benchmarking different configs from different eras to reflect real world data.
  4. That hardware will sit on shelves in their warehouse in an inventory system. Once again, so they can reuse it in future videos.
  5. Sometimes (very rare) they will give hardware away, often in the form of a full system (usually only for other famous streamers and YouTubers).
  6. Sometimes (again, rare) they list stuff for sale on LTTstore.com
  7. They literally encourage people to buy used hardware when on a budget and even have guides for this.

I finally read beyond the title - that's how messed up this sounded to me. He just said in his most recent video how sometimes he's rough, but he still knows what he's doing and limits his roughness. Though he does sometimes manage to drop and break things (a 10k CPU from Intel). But you must understand, he doesn't actually do this on purpose. He's just kinda clumsy. You really think he wants to break hardware that was sent over/they didn't pay for? Most times, the manufactures won't resend stuff so they have to buy what they break to continue with a project (sometimes a company is cool and sends new stuff out - but not always).

Make sense? If not, just drink some water, and don't think about it.

On 2/17/2021 at 11:18 AM, chocolatekarma said:

Thoughts?

Is nacho cheese a sauce or a topping?

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

On 2/17/2021 at 7:22 PM, chocolatekarma said:

All the videos pretty much.  He's far too rough with things, even when he doesn't drop them. 

I can tell you from personal experience that when you have a lot of tech around you, you don't baby them as much

But that doesn't mean that he's breaking them on purpose, he still wants it working of course

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

On 2/17/2021 at 5:31 AM, Kilrah said:

When has he actually broken anything?

Ya know, I can only think about that $10000 xenon, I feel like there's something else, but I can't think of it.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

5 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Ya know, I can only think about that $10000 xenon, I feel like there's something else, but I can't think of it.

I mean, when you're handling stuff for years daily you're kinda bound to break something once in a while...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

All the ewaste turns into Chinese components anyway these days.

where did you think all those newly manufactured motherboards on aliexpress and eBay came from? They aren’t making chipsets and sockets and ram slots, all of those parts are recycled and put on a new pcb at most, sometimes with new capacitors.

all the old gpus turn into remanufactured cards (or fake cards)

if you recycled a core2duo system today, within a year that system would’ve been stripped apart into individual components, metals would be melted down into new material, and the board components would be turned into a new board, the psu would become a new psu, the ram would be resold by companies like a-tech...

If there’s profit to be made, the work will be put in. As of recently its profitable to fully recycle a computer because instead of just getting raw materials back, these massive recycling centers in China are making new components directly 

All those weird brands of ssd, and sd cards, it’s ripped apart chips on new boards. It’s more cost effective to take apart and rebuild tens of thousands of drives with trashed ones, or factory over stock, than to make entirely new memory chips.

I would argue that right now is the best time for electronics recycling and we’re likely seeing one of the lowest points for e-waste truly being landfill waste in the last 30 years.

On 2/19/2021 at 8:30 AM, wkdpaul said:

Regular users are FAR worse than anything you'll see in a LTT video, including him dropping stuff.

You mean I can't feed my laptop chicken soup when it's cold outside?

People who replace their devices as soon as new ones are released contribute more towards e-waste, compared to those who only replace them when the old device breaks/doesn't work anymore.

Seeing as LTT keep most of the components that they feature, as mentioned by others on this thread, I wouldn't say that they go out of their way to create waste.

On 2/17/2021 at 6:18 AM, chocolatekarma said:

What I'm specifically referring to is how rough he is with hardware.  It seems like he's trying to kill it at times, even if he doesn't drop it.

This is common naivety, mostly from people that don't have a lot of experience handling electronics. They're surprisingly more robust than people typically give them credit for, especially if you know the specific things to avoid. 

On 2/18/2021 at 8:30 PM, wkdpaul said:

Linus isn't rough with the tech he handles, has anyone here worked in the IT department of a large company ? Regular users are FAR worse than anything you'll see in a LTT video, including him dropping stuff.

I briefly interned in IT at my company (not the most motivated of people, mind you, which is why I use “briefly”.), and I’d seen some pretty thrashed stuff. One laptop was scratched and dented all over, with the hinge barely hanging on. I actually salvaged the CPU from that (Core i5-560M) to stick in my personal HP Dv7 laptop (still in use by a family friend) as it was slated for the scrap bin. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 2/17/2021 at 3:18 AM, chocolatekarma said:

I love Linus, but sometimes it seriously seems like he's trying to add e waste to a planet that's already choking on it.  It must be a symptom of constantly receiving free hardware for years, and he just has no appreciation for the value of it. 

What I'm specifically referring to is how rough he is with hardware.  It seems like he's trying to kill it at times, even if he doesn't drop it.

Thoughts?

he seems rough with things sometimes but idk if he is making e-waste

You’re obviously ignoring the recommendations he gives about getting what you need and upgrading only when necessary, not to mention the $69 pc, yearly budget oriented builds and the famous scrapyard wars.

i get it you feel like he’s wasteful, but you’re giving in to the outrage and maybe you even feel attacked so take it easy.

Him being rough with hardware isn't generating excessive amounts of ewaste. Not sure how you'd even come to that conclusion.

Can you name a time when he's broken something that's created excessive ewaste? No, you can't, because it doesn't happen. It's not like he's throwing computers off a roof in every video or something like that. Most electronics are designed to take far more abuse than you seem to realize.

On 2/17/2021 at 4:53 AM, mousesnob said:

Arent the majority of people in the west over consuming anyway

It's not a Western thing, it's a wealth thing. Wealthy Eastern people do the exact same thing.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 2/17/2021 at 1:18 PM, chocolatekarma said:

I love Linus, but sometimes it seriously seems like he's trying to add e waste to a planet that's already choking on it.  It must be a symptom of constantly receiving free hardware for years, and he just has no appreciation for the value of it. 

Thoughts?

yes it may seem like that but he canot stand infront of a cmera in 4k and spend 20 minutes talking about for exanple bread he whud start lose subsciber

On 2/18/2021 at 12:18 AM, chocolatekarma said:

What I'm specifically referring to is how rough he is with hardware

Hardware is a lot tougher than many seem to think, way tougher. From physical damage and electrical damage. Where thing do get broken and easily is impacts with very hard surfaces, not talking wood unless very thick but concrete and stronger steel objects.

Linus never wants anything to break and doesn't subject things knowingly to treatment that is likely to break it. He is however a butterfingers but that is what it is lol