Is Linus actually trying to create e waste?

chocolatekarma

I love Linus, but sometimes it seriously seems like he's trying to add e waste to a planet that's already choking on it.  It must be a symptom of constantly receiving free hardware for years, and he just has no appreciation for the value of it. 

What I'm specifically referring to is how rough he is with hardware.  It seems like he's trying to kill it at times, even if he doesn't drop it.

Thoughts?

Context?

My understanding is they don't throw anything out unless its broken and what they do throw out gets recycled.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

which part or video are you talking about? maybe some context helps

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

That is actually something he addressed in his "I've been thinking of retiring" video, where he mentioned he does understand the gravity of him reviewing the latest tech also encouraging people to always get the latest stuff (and thus making the older stuff less valuable).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

as he has explained multiple times in videos, they don't have 20 gtx 1080 ti's 50 2080's and 12 3090's, when they do a build video, most of the time they tear the pc apart again and put the parts back on their shelves

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

That is actually something he addressed in his "I've been thinking of retiring" video, where he mentioned he does understand the gravity of him reviewing the latest tech also encouraging people to always get the latest stuff (and thus making the older stuff less valuable).

People upgrading doesn't directly create e-waste though, unless its already FUBAR the vast majority of people would sell it on to someone else.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

9 minutes ago, chocolatekarma said:

All the videos pretty much.  He's far too rough with things, even when he doesn't drop them. 

When has he actually broken anything?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

13 minutes ago, chocolatekarma said:

He's far too rough with things, even when he doesn't drop them. 

No, he isn't. Most of the stuff he uses gets featured multiple times over the years in various configurations, very clearly demonstrating that the stuff can perfectly well deal with his handling of them.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

14 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

People upgrading doesn't directly create e-waste though, unless its already FUBAR the vast majority of people would sell it on to someone else.

a surprising number of 'normal people' don't realize their computers are actually worth something second hand, but yes that is a fair point; the re-use part of "reduce, re-use, recycle".

it's just something I paraphrased from that livestream, where he did talk about sometimes feeling bad about showing off the latest tech, making the older stuff seem bad.

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

When has he broken anything?

Didn't dropping that 28 core Xeon kill some memory channels?

And during his PFSense project two motherboards broke, but I am still unsure whose 'fault' that was (the case, the builder, etc.)

And didn't that hydrodipped 2080 Super malfunction after some time, I think the fans were always at 100% because of a broken board in the middle of the fans.

But seeing the amount of stuff he gets his hands on, this is a very very small fraction of everything he uses.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

8 minutes ago, minibois said:

a surprising number of 'normal people' don't realize their computers are actually worth something second hand, but yes that is a fair point

How much that matters depends on the country you live in as well. Here in Finland, you can bring your electronics -- including PCs -- to any store that sells similar stuff and they'll recycle it all for you (it doesn't cost you anything, you just furiously smash your stuff down on the desk and roar loudly that you want it recycled), so many people do just that when they buy new laptops, for example.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

How much that matters depends on the country you live in as well. Here in Finland, you can bring your electronics -- including PCs -- to any store that sells similar stuff and they'll recycle it all for you, so many people do just that when they buy new laptops, for example.

Finland? Are you one of those nutcases who go out on snowmobiles in -15c?

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Finland? Are you one of those nutcases who go out on snowmobiles in -15c?

No. I'm a deep-fried nerd: I hide in the basement, avoid people, sunlight burns my skin and fresh air is toxic.

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

How much that matters depends on the country you live in as well. Here in Finland, you can bring your electronics -- including PCs -- to any store that sells similar stuff and they'll recycle it all for you, so many people do just that when they buy new laptops, for example.

Recycle or re-use?

Because people where I live (and I'd have to guess everywhere) understand their laptop is not "normal trash" material, so they understand it needs to be disposed of differently.

Some stores here allow for people to bring their laptop for recycling, but that sort of equipment is usually meant to be brought to specific "large trash" places (which sounds very fancy, but is actually a common sort of place).

With small electronics (i.e. light bulbs, batteries, etc.) stores that sell these also need to provide a bin to throw them away, so those are very easy to dispose of.

With large electronics (i.e. washers, dryers, fridges, etc.) we use to (from '99 to 2011) had to pay a "removal fee" when buying the product, which subsidized the whole recycling business around these electronics. Now manufacturers and importers of these products are responsible for the cost.

Aaaanyways, I provided that context just to say "people know how to throw their stuff away, but often not how to re-use it", which I think that is what OP's main point is: "encouraging people to buy the latest and greatest [by showing it on-screen in YouTube videos] makes e-waste much more common".

Whether that is the case is up for debate and Linus has talked in the past about how his actions of showing the newest tech does influence this.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

No. I'm a deep-fried nerd: I hide in the basement, avoid people, sunlight burns my skin and fresh air is toxic.

Sounds like me.

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Recycle or re-use?

Recycle.

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Some stores here allow for people to bring their laptop for recycling, but that sort of equipment is usually meant to be brought to specific "large trash" places (which sounds very fancy, but is actually a common sort of place)

I didn't mean the stores do the recycling themselves, they just handle the part where the old electronics is properly forwarded to proper recycling-plants, so people don't have to do that themselves. It's both more convenient for people to be able to bring their junk to any store they like and then more efficient for the stores to deliver all the junk in larger batches to the plants.

Linus is only excited to touch and work with the stuff,

so he rushes stuff and in the end can accidentaly drop something or yank or something.

It's not roughness it's just overexcitement. tbh

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Tech should have focused a long time on making tech easier to recycle in general (less mixing of metals etc, for less e-waste to env waste).

But I guess it's too expensive and takes up a lot more space to have an item to be easier to recycle.

1 minute ago, Quackers101 said:

Tech should have focused a long time on making tech easier to recycle in general (less mixing of metals etc, for less e-waste to env waste).

But I guess it's too expensive and takes up a lot more space to have an item to be easier to recycle.

Some parts work better if they are certain material, and some parts can't be made out of same material as others also.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

So this is bit more complex thing. Linus as tech user and company owner is probably on the better side of recycling etc. He has whole video series about buying used hardware dirt-cheap for capable systems. He has had whole company spending couple of days on local recycler, and probably still donates them any too old or actually broken stuff. They do sell anything with market value and which isn't useful to them.

All of that is much better than your average kid coming here to ask how he should brig his laptop to beg new computer from parents. Or someone asking what to do with old rig in general. The first thing in their mind when it becomes useless isn't to take it to recycling, but to throw it into dump. Thats actual e-waste, the one which will leak into ground and groundwater.

Yes, then there is the other side. With cutting edge of technology and promoting that. With phones, wireless stuff and anything which is pretty much doomed in 2-4 years. But is them promoting the actual issue there? I don't think so. Its more about manufacturers, the culture promoted people much more influential than Linus, and people who enable that (= parents).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I don't think you should talk about Linus, LMG, or pretty much any of us "normies" who don't run any sort of manufacturing facility about e-waste. At least not in this context.

Do you realize how much e-waste is created by things like Apple's right to repair issues? By Walmart and BestBuy selling cheap tablets/TVs that are expected to fail within 3-5yrs? How much straight up waste is made by things like over the top packaging? *cough* Amazon *cough*

Whatever small amount Linus/LMG has contributed is likely made up for in folds by the huge amount of people he has inspired to keep an old machine running, buy used hardware, and recycle properly through freegeek or other means. 

I mean, Linus doesn't make the stuff, so the "waste" isn't something he creates or profits from.

He's just a consumer, ultimately, like the rest of us.

If he ceased to operate there wouldn't be one less GPU, one less motherboard, whatever, in existence. 

As for his "rough" treatment, perhaps he's doing what we aren't willing to do with expensive components - which is push them, bend them, drop them, and generally test their build quality and durability the way any other person would who is regularly testing consumer items.

Or, maybe, he is a little spoilt and doesn't appreciate the fact that it comes across slightly off.

After all, he gets it all free.

However, he's built a business and a channel that allows him that privilege. 

ATEOTD, I don't think he's going to change...so why waste time worrying about it?

Linus isn't rough with the tech he handles, has anyone here worked in the IT department of a large company ? Regular users are FAR worse than anything you'll see in a LTT video, including him dropping stuff.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !