Switch modders find evidence of a Switch Pro in the latest Switch update, 4K in docked mode a possibility

Master Disaster

I'll start by tempering expectations. ScriesM is a legend in the Switch scene. He's the main man behind the Switches most popular free CFW so when he says these things it is unlikely he is making anything up. That said, this is all total speculation and he hasn't given any evidence to back any of these claims up so please take with appropriate levels of salt.

Getting right into it, from his data mining he has been able to conclude that the Switch Pro will be a Mariko hardware variant (so based on the latest available hardware), will have an OLED tablet screen with probably no handheld mode res bump, a bigger battery and will contain a 4K ready Realtek media encoder though he suggests this might be contained in the dock to provide 4K only in docked mode.

Existing under the codename of Aula, this hardware uses a Mariko SoC. It also would support both handheld and docked mode, and features "substantially" better cooling and battery life. While there's nothing concrete to fully determine, SciresM thinks that the revision would support 4K when docked, with an OLED tablet screen, as it features a Realtek chip branded as having "4K UHD multimedia SoC". If it's to be believed, then Nintendo has been working on a "Switch Pro" for over a year, which would line up with many reputable outlets repeatedly claiming that Nintendo is indeed working on a more powerful Nintendo Switch system.

Here's his full statement...

Nintendo actually is working on a new model with upgraded display stuff and has been for ~1.5-2 years. I personally believe it's 4K given the signs I'm seeing in the firmware, but that's not confirmed yet and could be wrong.

Aula has firmware support some Realtek chip that advertises itself as a "4K UHD multimedia SoC", too, hence my belief it's 4K. That chip might be inside a new dock and not inside the tablet, though, there's no way to tell from the firmware code yet.

Aula explicitly supports handheld mode. It is not docked only; that's calcio, which seems like it's for internal only/never releasing since Calcio has no gamecard slot and no battery.

Checked my previous discussions with hexkyz, the upgraded tablet display is an OLED screen. Probably not higher resolution on tablet itself, so I guess the 4k realtek chip is more likely to be new dock than I thought it was.

Source - https://gbatemp.net/threads/rumor-sciresm-speculates-on-switch-pro-details-through-datamine-information.580391/

If they're including stuff in firmware updates then it cannot be to far off. Everybody ready for Galaxy in 4K?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

If they're including stuff in firmware updates then it cannot be to far off. Everybody ready for Galaxy in 4K?

I don't want to spend more money for the "4K" edition.

elephants

A 4k Switch?

Here's my thoughts

(Do not I do not own a switch but have used one and know the experience on the current one)

(1) 4k docked mode 

I think a 4k docked mode would be an amazing thing for tech specs but in practice the general family does NOT have a 4k tv. 

(2) OLED screen

Hey a nicer screen is always appreciated! I would like to see a BIGGER screen and maybe not have a PLASTIC screen this time around.

(3) Bigger Battery

I am willing to bet the battery life statistics will be the same if they put better (More power hungry) components inside.

(Price)

I know this mentioned NOTHING of price but if I would bet, I bet this console is going to be 400-$500 US (With this '4k dock')

I am betting that if any of this is true it's not going to be cheap.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

I always thought it was strange, that the dock didn't have anything special in it. They could've made the switch so much better to when docked.

Here's hoping they don't really play around with the screen on the switch itself. No point putting a 4k screen on that, would just drain the battery faster.

1 hour ago, SignatureSigner said:

and maybe not have a PLASTIC screen this time around.

??? Plastic screen? What are you on about. The screen on the switch is glass.

I've been informed that it was, in fact, plastic. Strange, that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I always thought it was strange, that the dock didn't have anything special in it. They could've made the switch so much better to when docked.

Here's hoping they don't really play around with the screen on the switch itself. No point putting a 4k screen on that, would just drain the battery faster.

Huh the one I had felt like plastic maybe it was a screen protector. well a nicer screen would be nice nontheless

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

I can imagine the new Switch having a custom chip with DLSS and supporting 4K well enough as a result. Didn't they hire a DLSS dev some time ago?

Finally we’ll be able to enjoy Mario in 4K 

( well maybe (

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

48 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

mmhhh no. He's right: the switch has a plastic screen

which is a good thing, lasts longer, won't shatter, a god send for a toy meant for kids

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

finally... i'd like to say it, but given Nintendo litigious attitude, i've kinda given up on their product.

It's been a long run but the 3DS will be the last console i'll own from them

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Maybe it's a switch based off the Nvidia Jetson Xavier?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I can't make any sense about a 4k capable Switch aside from YouTube. That's it, that is the only thing on the Switch that would be worth 4k support, but even that's a stretch because your TV probably has 4k support in the YouTube app anyways. There's absolutely zero point to render games in 4k, if they even attempt native rendering, or the UI and home screen. No point, none. Make it competent at 1080p and upscale it.

ok maybe Nintendo is dipping there feet into something interesting

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

1 hour ago, SignatureSigner said:

Huh the one I had felt like plastic maybe it was a screen protector. well a nicer screen would be nice nontheless

The Switch screen is plastic. Probably to avoid kids shattering their Switch screens when they drop it.

11 minutes ago, Nowak said:

The Switch screen is plastic. Probably to avoid kids shattering their Switch screens when they drop it.

Huh... The more you know I guess. Sure didn't feel like plastic, but that test is certainly conclusive.

I suppose tempered glass screen protector goes a long way.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4K docked is a bonus result of a newer SoC. The real benefit will be longer runtime on battery. Kids playing Switch games on a TV won't appreciatively notice any difference between 1080 and 4k anyways.

2 hours ago, SignatureSigner said:

A 4k Switch?

Here's my thoughts

(Do not I do not own a switch but have used one and know the experience on the current one)

(1) 4k docked mode 

I think a 4k docked mode would be an amazing thing for tech specs but in practice the general family does NOT have a 4k tv. 

(2) OLED screen

Hey a nicer screen is always appreciated! I would like to see a BIGGER screen and maybe not have a PLASTIC screen this time around.

(3) Bigger Battery

I am willing to bet the battery life statistics will be the same if they put better (More power hungry) components inside.

(Price)

I know this mentioned NOTHING of price but if I would bet, I bet this console is going to be 400-$500 US (With this '4k dock')

I am betting that if any of this is true it's not going to be cheap.

New TVs are now 4k standard, it's pretty hard to find a new 1080p TV (atleast, in Canada). So this upgrade makes sense. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

neat? I guess?

I can't imagine Mario or Zelda looking that much better in 4k? 

I mean I have Playstations and such for "realistic graphics",... I don't really play Nintendo games for realistic graphics I just play them because they're fun to play. They look fine to me now. 

<shrug?> 

35 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Huh... The more you know I guess. Sure didn't feel like plastic, but that test is certainly conclusive.

I suppose tempered glass screen protector goes a long way.

JerryRigEverything tests tend to be conclusive :P

13 minutes ago, Blade of Grass said:

New TVs are now 4k standard, it's pretty hard to find a new 1080p TV (atleast, in Canada). So this upgrade makes sense. 

And here I am, with a 768p TV.

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I'll start by tempering expectations. ScriesM is a legend in the Switch scene. He's the main man behind the Switches most popular free CFW so when he says these things it is unlikely he is making anything up. That said, this is all total speculation and he hasn't given any evidence to back any of these claims up so please take with appropriate levels of salt.

Getting right into it, from his data mining he has been able to conclude that the Switch Pro will be a Mariko hardware variant (so based on the latest available hardware), will have an OLED tablet screen with probably no handheld mode res bump, a bigger battery and will contain a 4K ready Realtek media encoder though he suggests this might be contained in the dock to provide 4K only in docked mode.

Here's his full statement...

Source - https://gbatemp.net/threads/rumor-sciresm-speculates-on-switch-pro-details-through-datamine-information.580391/

Honesty, this sounds like it supports 4K Video. Eg netflix

That doesn’t mean to doesn’t support 4K 3D rendering, just that this doesn’t really mean anything hard. It could just as easily mean it has a built in pixel doubler so it has 4K output on a 1080p or 3x on 720p rendering. 

23 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

4k just like Xbox1X and PS4P and some silly Sony phones?

Meh

Unlike Microsoft and Sony, Nintendo uses Nvidia chips, and Nvidia has DLSS now. 720p upscaled to 4k through DLSS might actually look very decent.

When will the Pro Max version come out?

And what kind of a professional does work on a Nintendo Switch?

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

When will the Pro Max version come out?

And what kind of a professional does work on a Nintendo Switch?

A pro smash player xD

12 minutes ago, That Franc said:

Unlike Microsoft and Sony, Nintendo uses Nvidia chips, and Nvidia has DLSS now. 720p upscaled to 4k through DLSS might actually look very decent.

4k with DLSS only looks good when the source material is at least 1440p. Anything lower looks kind of blurry and then it's just better to play at a lower resolution to begin with.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Also just because it's an NVIDIA SOC doesn't mean it supports DLSS. It needs the dedicated tensor cores to do that. Not even all current desktop NVIDIA GPUs have tensor cores.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.