Noctua Passive Cooler Enters Production

TVwazhere

Summary

CES 2019 saw the introduction of a lot of things including chromax line, black CPU tower coolers and the prototype NF-A14x25, but arguably the part that got the least noise :^) was the passive cooler they showed off. Today we got unofficial confirmation the cooler has entered production. 

Quotes

Noctua was supposed to put this fanless CPU cooler into production by 2020; however, presumably due to the pandemic, the cooler didn't see the light of day this year. Thankfully Noctua still wants to produce its fanless CPU cooler, so hopefully, we'll see it by early next year.

There's still no official name for this "fanless CPU cooler" from Noctua, and we still don't know the full dimensions of this monster CPU cooler. Judging by the image, you will probably need a very wide ATX chassis to support it.

In the lead-up to the launch, the folks at FanlessTech managed to get their mitts on a photo of what is presumed to be the final design, and posted it to Twitter. According to FanlessTech, the cooler is about to enter mass production.

My thoughts

It's not a Black NF-A12x25, but it might be just as cool :^) This also shows that Noctua's timeline seems to be on track, which bodes as good news for users waiting for the Black NF-A12x25. 

image.png.a1c3456e847f253f43469f455d682e75.png

Sources

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/noctua-fanless-cooler-enters-production

https://www.pcgamer.com/noctuas-upcoming-fanless-cpu-cooler-gets-teased-and-promises-not-to-blow/

Original article from CES 2019 announcement:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14486/noctua-shows-off-concept-fanless-cpu-cooler-up-to-120w-of-cooling-performance

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

5 minutes ago, comander said:

Also I feel like coolers need to be BIGGER but also mounted to the case. Case + cooler combos anyone?

They exist, but they usually still have some form of compromise for performance users.

Passive coolers tend to do better. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

7 minutes ago, comander said:

I wonder how this compares with the Scythe Mugen/Infinity. 

Also I feel like coolers need to be BIGGER but also mounted to the case. Case + cooler combos anyone?

Ahhhh the 90's when the CPU cooler was hooked to the case panel lol

Agreed btw

Im kind of interested in this.  

Im also liking the fact that they kept the metal finish, as any coloring adds another layer for less thermal transfer (which is not negligible in passive situations imho)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I used to run highly overclocked Intel E5200 using Akasa Evo Blue cooler in full passive (stripped it of the plastic shroud and fan). It's a 65W chip, but it was running at 3,75 GHz. I don't know how much power it was burning, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't 65W :D

I think setting 5800X to Eco Mode so it's limited to 65W it should be doable with basically any larger tower cooler without a fan. Hell, given how these CPU's control their clocks now based on power and temperature, has anyone tried just running these using very good tower cooler, but without any fans? It should simply start to clock down as temps shoot up.

can't wait for more nocuta coolers. now they just got to improve stock. I assume they are waiting for boat shipping to be easier to get.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Cool. I like their roadmap so far.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

There have been fanless coolers out for years and years.  NoFan has been doing them for a very long time.  They even did whole fanless cases and complete fanless prebuilts.  The thing that wiped everything out is the gpu.  Making a gaming quality fanless gpu cooler is just hard.  They put out way too much heat. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

Good luck running no case fans. Else I don't see the point

I would assume that anyone who went this route would use this for a build without a gpu. Otherwise I wouldn't see the point in having a passive cooler if you already have a gpu that has fans. 

5 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I would assume that anyone who went this route would use this for a build without a gpu. Otherwise I wouldn't see the point in having a passive cooler if you already have a gpu that has fans. 

There are fanless GPUs. They aren’t very good and they tend to be massive. Zotac makes or made a few. There’s a 3 slot 1650 that is passive iirc. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Very interested in what Noctua Desk Fan would be like.

Would it have a mount for people who want to have air intake for the entire side panel?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

NoFan did some cases that were designed to not have fans.  They were all about thermal convection and tended to be set sideways with open tops and bottoms.  This made them strange looking and hard to build in.

I remember when the scythe ninja was advertised as being able to passive cool, but only with case fans. Of course it is so large it sits right next to the exhaust fan. Cooler master also did I giant passive cooler about 10 years ago. Cant remember what it was called.

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

Yea I have a 3200G for a silent office build. With all the power saving features turned on I could prob take the fan off the CPU cooler. It never ramps up for the way it is used.

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Case fans are placed right at the openings of the case and as such more audible than the fans placed on the CPU cooler

for the record, 2 noctua front intakes, 1 amd cpu cooler, 1 be quiet exhaust fan (which is *off* while idling so irrelevant in this case) at roughly the same rpms I almost can't hear the 2 noctua case fans, whereas I *always* hear the amd cpu fan, about twice as loud, I'd say... 

And if the exhaust fan goes on I still hear the cpu fan more.... nothing is annoyingly loud mind you, still my experience doesn't line up with what you said at all...

The only fans that are actually loud are from my EVGA 1070 FTW2... very disappointing how loud they are compared to my previous MSI gaming X fans (which were basically inaudible) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, Poison4K said:

Ayyyy fuck yeah dude, this'll be cool 

I wonder if it allows for any overclocking, iirc I saw some slides back then that seemed to imply this is appropriate cooling only at stock speeds, though I suppose that depends on the processor as well. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

I wonder if it allows for any overclocking, iirc I saw some slides back then that seemed to imply this is appropriate cooling only at stock speeds, though I suppose that depends on the processor as well. 

Yeah we'll have to wait and see; i imagine it'll be a possibility knowing Noctua, but even if not i very much welcome more competition into the space of fanless coolers. Especially if Noctua has some revolutionary design that changes things up.

3 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Thats because you are comparing apples to oranges. Replace your case fans with the same AMD cooler fan. And then you will get what I mean.

yeah good point, no plans on doing that tho... ;)

but I might replace the amd fan with a noctua, should be definitely more silent and maybe even better cooling (I doubt this fanless one would work in my case, it's pretty small mATX) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

The one fanless passive cooler ive seen is the NoFan cr95 it’s the size of a small plate and is literally all heat pipe.  It’s so big it frequently impinges on pcie slot 1

it should be able to take a 3700x stock or a 3600 with a bit of overclock.  The “95” is for 95w.  The 3700 is supposed to be 65w but it’s really more like 80w.

5 hours ago, huilun02 said:

You mean without a GPU and case fans?

Case fans are placed right at the openings of the case and as such more audible than the fans placed on the CPU cooler.

Even if we pretend the case fans don't make any sound, you would still need air flow to move the warm air away from the PC. This means a source of noise outside the PC.

I applaud Noctua, but logically the only people buying this would be hypocrites. Who's running their work system on an open air test bench?

I don't believe that is the case. If you are doing passive cooling then there is no need for airflow other than natural airflow otherwise it wouldn't be passive in the first place. Hot air rises so you get air flow without case fans anyways. Now I am uncertain if that amount of airflow would be sufficient for the rated tdp of these coolers I am unsure but I would imagine they are designed with no case fans in mind. 

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

I don't believe that is the case. If you are doing passive cooling then there is no need for airflow other than natural airflow otherwise it wouldn't be passive in the first place. Hot air rises so you get air flow without case fans anyways. Now I am uncertain if that amount of airflow would be sufficient for the rated tdp of these coolers I am unsure but I would imagine they are designed with no case fans in mind. 

They will be released and tested and then we will know.  Generally cases that were designed for case fans need them. The thermal convection you describe does happen, but it is very slow and weak compared to a fan to the point that if a fan is used it is so overwhelming that it can be ignored.  

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

The only fans that are actually loud are from my EVGA 1070 FTW2... very disappointing how loud they are compared to my previous MSI gaming X fans (which were basically inaudible) 

As someone who has owned EVGA cards his whole life (970 FTW, 180ti FTW3 1070ti FTW2) they're still loud/audible at mid ranged RPMs. The Gaming X board design was easily the best/quietest card on the market when the 9/10 series was out, mostly due to the fans being larger than the 3 slot designs (i think 105mm compared to 90?) which allowed them to spin slower and reduce noise. 

12 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Good luck running no case fans. Else I don't see the point

I see your point, but I used to run 0 fan on my desktop when doing light tasks like browsing, case fans only turn on when I'm gaming

I removed the fan on my dark rock pro 3 so my i5 6600 ran passively, my GPU was a strix 970 so it had 0db fan until I put a load on it

I also built a i7 9700k computer without a GPU, I only included one case fan and tune it to turn on only when CPU is running warm (80+), it was built for a silent freak.

Passively cooled computer is possible, depending on what your expectations are

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately